• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Welcome to 90s image.
I should have stopped when I realized that they were on a Grundge Concert and had a wannabe-Collossus called Grundge in their team.

One of the worser Spider-Man/xyz crossover...

Next up is one of those two little beautys... Still cant believe that I now own booth of them...

P4bUPJG.png

Owzers

For real. Then they'll do it again in the future and start pricing 1st issues $6 only to drop them to $5 for the next. Such a deal! 8 extra pages WOOP WOOP

The biggest area where price has affected me are annual issues and those one-off 31.1 etc Avengers or New Avengers one-offs that are 4.99. Unless they get 10/10s or the GAF equivalent i'll wait till they hit Marvel Unlimited to read them despite buying their regular book monthly. This month i'm skipping Daredevil 15.1's $4.99 issue.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I've been thinking of getting an REI membership too. I'm in the market for a cargo box for my crossbars.

Basically if you plan to spend $200 or more at REI in your life, then it's completely worth it since it pays for itself, and then after it pays for itself, you're just saving 10% off the rest of your purchases. Then all the other little perks are just gravy.

PsychBat!

Banned
List time:
Southern Bastards #7
Amazing Spider-Man #14
Darth Vader #1
Guardians 3000 #5
Thor #5

Hopefully, it won't be too expensive. Darth Vader is 4.99 though...

Kipp

I'm really jamming through Alias now. It's soooo good. Just brilliant stuff. When Bendis is good, Bendis is GOOD. This is hitting all the same buttons for me that Scarlet hit, and I absolutely loved Scarlet.
A lot of people in this thread were complaining about the art too, but I kind of dig it. I mean, the reusing the same panels is a bit of a drag, but it's not too bad. Overall I like Gaydos' style though. It's rough, but it has a lot of character. He could work on his facial expressions a bit though. They're pretty vague. Then again, I'm probably still spoiled from Terry Moore's top-tier facial expressions.

Also, David Mack's covers are just the best. I really do need to pick up that Mack art book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm really jamming through Alias now. It's soooo good. Just brilliant stuff. When Bendis is good, Bendis is GOOD. This is hitting all the same buttons for me that Scarlet hit, and I absolutely loved Scarlet.
A lot of people in this thread were complaining about the art too, but I kind of dig it. I mean, the reusing the same panels is a bit of a drag, but it's not too bad. Overall I like Gaydos' style though. It's rough, but it has a lot of character. He could work on his facial expressions a bit though. They're pretty vague. Then again, I'm probably still spoiled from Terry Moore's top-tier facial expressions.

Also, David Mack's covers are just the best. I really do need to pick up that Mack art book.
Just wait until you are reading the last arc. Its so perfect.

No you need to pick up his series Kabuki. It's amazing work about a all female Japanese hit squad that poses as Their pop idols in a near futuristic timeline. It started as his college art project and over the years his writing and art style evolves into something amazing.

That series might be the perfect blend of art house comic-gaf and girly hijinks comic gaf. Though the series is pretty serious throughout.

Amazing amazing stuff that I'm not sure many have read

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Deadpool (2012) #1 - Deadpool vs FDR...wait whut >_>

so this was a...weird way to start this latest Deadpool run. Im not sure what I thought of it tbh. Lovely art at least. I need a few more issues to get a feel for it, but dead president zombies was unexpected

Messi

Deadpool (2012) #1 - Deadpool vs FDR...wait whut >_>

so this was a...weird way to start this latest Deadpool run. Im not sure what I thought of it tbh. Lovely art at least. I need a few more issues to get a feel for it, but dead president zombies was unexpected

1st arc is crap the rest is gold.

Kipp

No you need to pick up his series Kabuki. It's amazing work about a all female Japanese hit squad that poses as Their pop idols in a near futuristic timeline. It started as his college art project and over the years his writing and art style evolves into something amazing.

That series might be the perfect blend of art house comic-gaf and girly hijinks comic gaf. Though the series is pretty serious throughout.

Amazing amazing stuff that I'm not sure many have read

Why not both? :p
But yeah, I'd almost forgotten that you recommended Kabuki (though I did put it on my IST wishlist, so I would've remembered soon enough). I'm definitely interested in giving that a try.
Is the whole series collected? If so, how many collected editions are there? Searching for it on IST gives me quite a few not-very-straightforward results.
And are the different minis that make it up kind of standalone?

Kipp

Haha. That's Alias to a tee. A lot of dramatic pauses. Except Gaydos even reuses panels for when, in conversations, someone's reaction to something would be a similar reaction. It's definitely noticeable, but like I said, it really doesn't bother me that much. Like, it's not as if him redrawing essentially the same panel but just with slightly different lines would make me enjoy the book or the art any more. I know he did it to save time, but it doesn't really take anything away from the comic. It is slightly annoying though.

tim1138

Why not both? :p
But yeah, I'd almost forgotten that you recommended Kabuki (though I did put it on my IST wishlist, so I would've remembered soon enough). I'm definitely interested in giving that a try.
Is the whole series collected? If so, how many collected editions are there? Searching for it on IST gives me quite a few not-very-straightforward results.
And are the different minis that make it up kind of standalone?

Just wait for these beauties to come out - http://www.amazon.com/dp/1616556773/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PsychBat!

Banned
I think Gundam Wing episodes are 19 minutes of stock footage and 7 minutes of moving the plot forward.
Yeah. I watched the show last year and this is exactly what it is.

The plot is good though (if you're not a kid and fall asleep). Can't say much about the action.

MattyG

Banned
So I just bought the first two issues of the Star Wars comic, and I got both of them as variant covers. My LCS bagged and boarded them, and they're in perfect condition. I'm going to collect the whole run (this is the first time I've bought individual issues actually), as well as the Vader and Leia books, but I'm paranoid about opening them and reading them if I'm going to keep a collection.

Would it be a good idea to go back and get regular copies for just reading, and keep the variant covers in the plastic? Or should I just open them, read them and rebag them? I don't want to become one of these collectors that is super anal about stuff getting messed up, but I'd like to keep them nice.

So I just bought the first two issues of the Star Wars comic, and I got both of them as variant covers. My LCS bagged and boarded them, and they're in perfect condition. I'm going to collect the whole run (this is the first time I've bought individual issues actually), as well as the Vader and Leia books, but I'm paranoid about opening them and reading them if I'm going to keep a collection.

Would it be a good idea to go back and get regular copies for just reading, and keep the variant covers in the plastic? Or should I just open them, read them and rebag them? I don't want to become one of these collectors that is super anal about stuff getting messed up, but I'd like to keep them nice.
You could always open them up and redeem the digital codes and just read them on a computer/tablet/phone. That way you wouldn't have to buy extra copies.
Wat. No. The plot is terrible. Anything Gundam has been terrible past 0079.

Build Fighters is great brah. Give it a shot.

MattyG

Banned
You could always open them up and redeem the digital codes and just read them on a computer/tablet/phone. That way you wouldn't have to buy extra copies.
Oh, I didn't even realize that they came with digital codes. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: just unbagged the first one and it looks like it doesn't have a digital code. Maybe they didn't put them in with the variant covers?

Top Bottom