• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Me at the end

giphy.gif

Remender not gonna let that happen though. Just watch
No one reading Deadly Class ever gets to be happy :(

caliph95

Two recent reads I recommend:

1. Kill Or Be Killed - its amazing, I'm hooked. Very unique story, very gritty. Definitely recommend.

2. The Assignment - recently released, also quite gritty. Apparently based on a movie that's releasing soon.

Already reading Kill might as well read Assignment

Have you saw Roughneck yet, his new OGN he'll have out in May? Judging by what draws you to him, I think you'll be very happy. Welder is great, really worth reading that one, and there's a nice HC to boot now too. I quite like the nobody but I'm not sure if that's actually in print these days. Trillium was okayish, I wasn't too taken with it, sadly. I take his superhero work with a pinch of salt, every now and again he'll strike gold, but with entire runs of wheel spinning inbetween. I just don't think work for hire naturally flows well with his strengths and sensibilities, and I see where you're coming from with the idea of his as a pure cartoonist. Black Hammer definitely seemed well received by the thread in it's first few months! Haven't saw too much since but that might be as much me not reading as people being quiet on it. I actually still have Descender vol 2 sitting that I haven't dug into, quite excited for that one.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to reading Roughneck when I lift the trade/OGN ban. (I've banned myself from buying any more trades/OGNs until I've read all the floppies, collections and OGNs that I've already bought and not read. Sweet Tooth will be an exception because obvs.)

mreddie

Unstoppable Wasp 1 $3.99 Marvel 37,415

Not a bad start.

DANGER ZONE
giphy.gif

Occupy Avengers 18,499
Cyborg 18,562
Blue Beetle 18,104
Mosaic 11,003

Hellcat/Moon GIrl/Flinstones are getting by with Awards and Trade sales.

Owzers

Soooooooooo am i buying floppies now solely to finish my East of West collection and in case another Image #1 is worth a lot of money someday like Saga? Because i'm struggling to justify ordering 7 comics from dcbs again and paying 7.50 shipping for them and those seem to be the reasons. No digital codes, and even my recent walking dead/invicible sets are not selling easily on ebay. My floppy reasons are folding faster than a stack of floppies that get attacked by a mild breeze.

Convince me that floppies are still worth it guys. Those spreads, those wonderful two page spreads...

Owzers

This overshipping/free extra comics thing bugs me. You just throw your comics around but still charge people $4-5 with no digital code?

El Topo

Mighty Captain Marvel 5 issues in trying in to an Event again.

THEY NEVER LEARN.

The very first issue already ties into the upcoming event. I don't think it's that bad though, given that it sets a clock via a distant threat and that it fits the theme. MCM #0/#1 were pretty good actually.
Heck, the whole planetary shield/refugee crisis thing is (in principle) a great concept that reflects the challenges of our times. Emphasis on "in principle", because they don't really do much with it so far.

Ross61

This is gonna be, what, the second or third time a Cyborg book bombs and gets potentially cancelled?
It didn't cancelled last time because it bombed. It like the rest of the DCYOU books ended because of Rebirth and like most other core titles got another book.

This is gonna be, what, the second or third time a Cyborg book bombs and gets potentially cancelled?

I haven't read them all, but just hearing talk about them it really seems like everyone that goes on the book wants to do the same "Am I more man or machine." type of story just told a different way.

Seems like no one knows what to do with Cyborg.

mreddie

I haven't read them all, but just hearing talk about them it really seems like everyone that goes on the book wants to do the same "Am I more man or machine." type of story just told a different way.

Seems like no one knows what to do with Cyborg.

Just do what Titans did and ignore it?

Oh wait, needs the JL movie push.

ElNarez

Banned
Again, the nightmare has become reality.

Also, looks like
Cloak and Dagger
are coming in.

I seriously fucking hate this. This is ugly. It's well-made, but, it's unbearably ugly. Like, this is Steve Rogers leading a fucking nazi parade. And it's the big event that Marvel are hyping up for 2017. This is legit fucking disgusting. I didn't understand why people were feeling this way before, way back when this all started, but now, not only do I get it, I really want it to bomb spectacularly.

I seriously fucking hate this. This is ugly. It's well-made, but, it's unbearably ugly. Like, this is Steve Rogers leading a fucking nazi parade. And it's the big event that Marvel are hyping up for 2017. This is legit fucking disgusting. I didn't understand why people were feeling this way before, way back when this all started, but now, not only do I get it, I really want it to bomb spectacularly.
The Identity Crisis of our times.

Tynion seems to be pretty happy about some new toys.

King started a war.

Trump's America even seeping into comics.

Owzers

They should invite Steve to speak at CPAC in the book.

Unstoppable Wasp 1 $3.99 Marvel 37,415

Not a bad start.

DANGER ZONE
giphy.gif

Occupy Avengers 18,499
Cyborg 18,562
Blue Beetle 18,104
Mosaic 11,003

Hellcat/Moon GIrl/Flinstones are getting by with Awards and Trade sales.

I thought Hellcat and Moon Girl had that scholastic deal

MartyStu

I dislike it for for one major reason: it is artificially induced. It removes any punch the story has knowing that a wizard is most likely going to fix Steve down the line.

I could be wrong and Marvel actually takes the long way and try to naturally deprogram him, but then we have someone not fit to be Captain America...

Fuck, I just convinced myself into hating this for 2 - 3 additional reasons.

At the very least it should not have been an event.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I like it. Its like there is a country which proclaims itself all the time as the home of equality, freedom and democracy and suddenly there are nazis running all over the street and own the country, just that there is a character who embodies this country and now embodies also this changes for a couple of months before the invitable status quo change which every idiot could predict makes this character good again. One could argue that this is pretty brave and current idea, but who am I kidding, Comics should stop beeing political. Maybe in 15 years some guy at Image should write a book about it.

And no, you dont need to repeat for the 50th time that Spencer is a incompetent idiot. I got it around the time you said it for the 15th or 20th time.

Hagi

The Nazi Cap event thing is whatever but what I really want to know is what are they going to do after it. Like how do you move on from making such a well regarded character in your fiction a literal Nazi. What story do you tell with Steve after you have him trying to take over the world and likely kill countless people. It's going to be interesting to see how they tackle the ramifications of this story moving forward. Crazy times.

The Nazi Cap event thing is whatever but what I really want to know is what are they going to do after it. Like how do you move on from making such a well regarded character in your fiction a literal Nazi. What story do you tell with Steve after you have him trying to take over the world and likely kill countless people. It's going to be interesting to see how they tackle the ramifications of this story moving forward. Crazy times.

This is my chief concern as well. I feel it could be done well with patient and cautious handling...but I'm worried that won't happen if Marvel is overeager to get him back to normal. Trying to stay optimistic though.

Edit: that said, as manmademan pointed out to me yesterday, it was Steve and Selvig's memories that were changed, not any actual events, which is an easier fix. They still need to take their time with it in order to do it right, though.

This is my chief concern as well. I feel it could be done well with patient and cautious handling...but I'm worried that won't happen if Marvel is overeager to get him back to normal. Trying to stay optimistic though.

Like, to fully redeem him they already need to go back in time or reveal that Jack Flag's death due to Steve was faked. That's a death that is 100% Steve's fault even before he tried to finish the job before Flag passed away in his coma.

Top Bottom