• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Finally read Invincible #99, Ottley is a god-tier artist. The entire issue was just big, gorgeous portraits. Fucking hell, that last panel too. Otherwise I was sort of disappointed in the issue. 100 is going to need to deliver big time on the story front, come on Kirky.

Manhattan Projects #8: This shit is such a fever dream, I love it.

Marvel is seriously reprinting Star Lords origin story from Point One and charging four bucks for it?

And to enjoy Kirkmans writing in Invincible I just imagine the prices in the Malaysian sub of DBZ. The only way.

Acid08

Banned
Marvel is seriously reprinting Star Lords origin story from Point One and charging four bucks for it?

And to enjoy Kirkmans writing in Invincible I just imagine the prices in the Malaysian sub of DBZ. The only way.

I really, really love early Invincible but it lost some of the magic along the way. I think the Conquest stuff was the last time the book made me go HOOOOOLY SHIT.

tim1138

Finally read Invincible #99, Ottley is a god-tier artist. The entire issue was just big, gorgeous portraits. Fucking hell, that last panel too. Otherwise I was sort of disappointed in the issue. 100 is going to need to deliver big time on the story front, come on Kirky.

Manhattan Projects #8: This shit is such a fever dream, I love it.

Manhattan Projects is freaking amazing every single month.
It's the only Hickman book I've read, is the rest of his stuff this good?

zeeaykay

I'm pretty new to comics. I'm coming in more as a fan of the "literary graphic novel" type stuff-- Blankets, Habibi, Asterios Polyp are some favorites of mine, in order. I just got Building and am looking forward to diigging into that. I'm also a big Spider-Man fan and have read through about 110 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man which I very entertaining.

I'm thinking the next comic book run I'll get into is Morrison's X-men, especially after reading that recommendation list posted on the first page.

I just finished Revival and have to also recommend it. It's really fantastic; the art is fantastic and the characters are all written believably and distinctly.

I don't really have any questions (outside of more recommendations), just thought I'd kinda introduce myself to the community.

I'm pretty new to comics. I'm coming in more as a fan of the "literary graphic novel" type stuff-- Blankets, Habibi, Asterios Polyp are some favorites of mine, in order. I just got Building and am looking forward to diigging into that. I'm also a big Spider-Man fan and have read through about 110 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man which I very entertaining.

I'm thinking the next comic book run I'll get into is Morrison's X-men, especially after reading that recommendation list posted on the first page.

I just finished Revival and have to also recommend it. It's really fantastic; the art is fantastic and the characters are all written believably and distinctly.

I don't really have any questions (outside of more recommendations), just thought I'd kinda introduce myself to the community.

New x-men is very good but please note that it had a few very bad artists on the book along with some very good ones so its very inconsistent. I really wish they would redo some of the art for he newer editions.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Since we were talking about Morrison I thought we could bring up other gaudy writing.

attachment.php

Have you read Alison Bechdel's Fun Home or Nick Abadzis' Laika yet?

Phenomenal stuff. Best in class.

1-fun-home-alison-bechdel-cover.jpg

Laika.jpg

This goes for all you schlubs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

1-fun-home-alison-bechdel-cover.jpg

Laika.jpg

Aw yeah, great stuff. Mrs Sniv just read Bechdel's new book, I think it's called Are You My Mother or something similar, she loved it too. Definitely on the stack for me to read soon.

zeeaykay

Wow, Fun Home looks great. Given that Blankets is my favorite graphic novel and this is also an autobiography it looks right up my ally. Thanks!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Complains about verbose, slow Avengers issues

request the return of Bendis

seriously, it's like ttob never left.

i was (sadly) banned for a bit, but while i was lurking i came across this gem. 10/10

Best issue of the week is Saga. I know opinions differ and I respect that, but comparing it to the Star Wars prequels is Drew Magary levels of trolling bull$#!7. Not only does the comparison make absolutely zero sense, but it's one of those loaded statements designed to draw attention and stir up controversy. The most laughable part is criticism of Fiona Staples and her art. Given the source, it's akin to the world's best stick figure artist thumbing his nose at the Sistine Chapel.

most importantly, read some great comics while i was away:

Prophet and The Manhattan Projects are really getting good. Enjoyed that Saga slowed down to explore the characters a bit more.

Loving three mini's going on right now: Witch Doctor, Luther Strode and Multiple Warheads. Love the horror/slasher feel of WD and Strode, and the whimsicality of MW.

Avengers/New Avengers is going to be so good and Black Panther is super rad.

Thor is excellent, and this scene was poetry:

So I bought Revival...I love it, I know I know I'm late. But shiiit I need more stuff like this. Give me suggestionz!

Bruce said it was a vision he had but that it was a Damian who had 'sold his soul to the devil' which I took to mean he made a pact with Simon Hurt and co. Also, he said that Ra's and Talia created Damian for spare parts.

In Damian-Batman don't they allude to Damian actually selling his soul which is how he's able to heal so quickly from mortal wounds?

Grab Black Beetle #0 while you have the app open. Stellar stuff.
Yeah I'm gonna try and grab it in print. The interview a couple weeks back grabbed.

Is Kirkmans Ant Man any decent?

Underwater Welder was alright. Lemire needs to quit drawing though, but I know he needs the money. His faces look like are being forced into oddly shaped jars. They that look on their face like they starin' back at Lemire going, "why you drawin me brah"

Acid08

Banned
Underwater Welder was alright. Lemire needs to quit drawing though, but I know he needs the money. His faces look like are being forced into oddly shaped jars. They that look on their face like they starin' back at Lemire going, "why you drawin me brah"

You must go deeper Rafa. Deeper than Mike Modano used to go into his ex-wife.

Owzers

all time low DCBS special discounts i'm interested in. These Marvel Now bundles....are killing my sales!

Only East of West #1 for me on special along with trades...

Was It Girl and the Atomics worth picking up the trade? Red She Hulk NOW? Absolute Blackest Night is tempting even with my reservations.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Dark Horse put their stuff on Comixology. I don't want to have to pay for digital comics and have them on different apps.

I'm waiting to get that Conan trade coming out this month. I also want to pick up the first trade of Northlanders.

Viewt

I wish Dark Horse put their stuff on Comixology. I don't want to have to pay for digital comics and have them on different apps.

I'm waiting to get that Conan trade coming out this month. I also want to pick up the first trade of Northlanders.

Right? I went straight to Comixology when I read "Brian Wood Conan for $0.99" since I've heard great things, but fuck that BS. I'm not gonna add an app just for one run.

hom3land

Thor is excellent, and this scene was poetry:

First foray into comics, and on a whim, I gave Thor God of Thunder a shot. Just read the first issue, and I'm loving the tone and art, really good stuff. Along with Thor, I'm really digging Hawkeye, and Saga. I feel like I've just opened a can of worms. Must be so many other great stories I have missed and need to catch up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom