• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boinx

Glad to see some Millar love here. The dude has written some trash but some good stuff too. Ultimates is seriously awesome and as far as these "widescreen" comics go, it's
Morrison JLA > Millar Ultimates > Ellis Authority

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Brya7.jpg
Wow, he keeps a knife in his ass crack?

Kick-Ass 2 is suppose to be next year, right? Might not include this scene, I think

*groan*

frye

Glad to see some Millar love here. The dude has written some trash but some good stuff too. Ultimates is seriously awesome and as far as these "widescreen" comics go, it's
Morrison JLA > Millar Ultimates > Ellis Authority

It's really too bad Morrison's JLA looks like dogshit most of the time.

boinx

It's really too bad Morrison's JLA looks like dogshit most of the time.

Yep, if only we could have gotten someone like Opena or JH Williams on that book.. But oh well, you can't have everything. Well, actually you can but not at the time when you most want it.

Millar's Fantastic Four run was great I actually hated when Hickman came on the book and made a mess of Millar's plotlines like Nu Earth.

Yeah, giving Dr. Doom a master, there was a smart idea. Dude couldn't even be bothered to finish his shitty FF run, became fill-in central.

This is the same guy that sees a very nice picture of the Fantastic Four eating a family dinner(because, ya know, acting like a family is kiiiiinda a big part of the series), and ensures you that nothing this LAME will happen inside! What a perfect fit for this cast of characters!

He should stick to creator-owned titles, where he can have his heroes rape as many women as he wants, or put a woman's brother's sperm insider her as a bomb. Wheeee

Like I said, I was surprised his Superman Adventures were so good, so free of irony or a 13-year old's constant need to been seen as cool and edgy. It's just geninuely damn good Superman stories.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What is it with Mark Millar and sexual assault?

dude's a hack, couldn't write his way out of a paper bag. he's like the michael bay of comics: more women getting raped! more extreme violence!

Millar's Fantastic Four run was great I actually hated when Hickman came on the book and made a mess of Millar's plotlines like Nu Earth.

are you being sarcastic? please tell me you're being sarcastic

The only thing they did was drop Thor's liberal agenda...

what are you even talking about anymore?

I get to post Cap America straight-up flashkicking a terrorist supervillian twice in one thread?

Ultimates12-Flashkick.jpg

Comics, ya'll

alright, this is pretty sweet.

Acid08

Banned
So on issue 17 of Fear Agent. Pretty much the best comic ever. I really like Opena's article but jesus fuck Tony Moore is just on another level with this series. It also really helps that the back up stories are amazing.

demented

Finished reading Locke&Key recently and that shit was awesome! So now between my weeklies and finishing DMZ I need something else, something more along the lines of Crossed (evil shit :D), something dark. Any tips? Saw Revival mentioned few pages back, will check that out.

zeeaykay

Anyone a fan of Chew? I just picked up Chew Omnivore Edition 1 (impulse grab) and Fun Home from the local library. Pretty happy to see they carry a decent amount of graphic novels.

Acid08

Banned
Anyone a fan of Chew? I just picked up Chew Omnivore Edition 1 (impulse grab) and Fun Home from the local library. Pretty happy to see they carry a decent amount of graphic novels.
Fucking love Chew. One of the most unique books currently out and it's consistently hilarious. Make sure you pay attention to the backgrounds, some amazing detail in the panels.

So on issue 17 of Fear Agent. Pretty much the best comic ever. I really like Opena's article but jesus fuck Tony Moore is just on another level with this series. It also really helps that the back up stories are amazing.

keep reading it gets better. its crazy how everything comes together at the end. the second to ast arc is really good

smr00

Banned
So what's with the Mark Millar hate? Take into account i haven't been keeping up with things for about 12 years.

Nudull

Banned
So what's with the Mark Millar hate? Take into account i haven't been keeping up with things for about 12 years.

Given that I don't know too much about Millar, that bit from KA2 was a tad bit...icky. I take he's had better days?

Amazon is shipping that again brah?

Acid08

Banned
My friend got me a $20 gift to a local comic shop(not the one I go to) for taking her shift at work today :D

I think I might pick up Dark Knight Returns, never read it.

Finished reading Locke&Key recently and that shit was awesome! So now between my weeklies and finishing DMZ I need something else, something more along the lines of Crossed (evil shit :D), something dark. Any tips? Saw Revival mentioned few pages back, will check that out.

Man lemme know if you find any other evil shit like Crossed, I love that stuff

Owzers

My hate grew with Kick Ass, Superior, Nemesis, Supercrooks...i find them to be pretty dumb. I liked his initial Ultimates, but when he came back to the book it started to read like the above listed titles, violent without the fun. Red Son was great, and i enjoyed Old Man Logan despite being a little rapey.

smr00

Banned
My hate grew with Kick Ass, Superior, Nemesis, Supercrooks...i find them to be pretty dumb. I liked his initial Ultimates, but when he came back to the book it started to read like the above listed titles, violent without the fun. Red Son was great, and i enjoyed Old Man Logan despite being a little rapey.
Haven't read kick-ass but i did enjoy the flick.

Haven't read any of the other stuff either :-/, i was just wondering why everyone hated him because from what i was reading i just imagined he must of done some pretty awful things outside of comics. Looking up his work on Wiki i have no real interest in reading his stuff, not even kick-ass. I enjoyed the movie for what it was but it's not something i would want to read.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
....Have you even read The Ultimates? I don't think you have

it's been years, i forgot about all the hippie Thor stuff. still, lol at the term "liberal agenda"

So on issue 17 of Fear Agent. Pretty much the best comic ever.

Finished reading Locke&Key recently and that shit was awesome!

Anyone a fan of Chew? I just picked up Chew Omnivore Edition 1 (impulse grab) and Fun Home from the local library.

GAF has so much good taste

Owzers

Conan 1-10 for $10 on the dark horse app

Conan hardcover 1-6 for $12.49 from dcbs.

Only downside is you know the price of the next trade, but not when they'll have another conan sale.

smr00

Banned
Conan 1-10 for $10 on the dark horse app

Conan hardcover 1-6 for $12.49 from dcbs.

Only downside is you know the price of the next trade, but not when they'll have another conan sale.
Speaking of digital comics, what is everyone's take on them here? A friend of mine rants all the time how it's killing the comic industry, but he's a bit biased since he runs a shop.

Personally i prefer the digital comics and thanks for the heads up, i need to get this app, i just got the Comixology app or whatever a few days ago and loaded up on a ton of stuff. And as for these comics apps, is the Marvel app worth it? Are they still doing the $X a month for unlimited viewing?

Mark Millar has made some really good comics (ultimates, american jesus, red son), but not lately. His writing has gotten lazier and lazier, and cynism just pours out of his books now. The ending to Nemesis was pretty much bullshit.

Just before the Christmas, I ventured to my LCS to find something easy to keep me entertained during the holidays while visiting my parents. I came across The Essential Punisher vol 2 and I took it home with me, mostly because it was dirt cheap and it was the damn Punisher :p Now, I knew to expect something wacky but this opening caught me completely off-guard:

Oh 80's comics, why you so crazy?

COMICS EVERYBODY.

Ri'Orius

Alright guys, let's talk storage solutions. Are there any good options short of bagging and boarding each individual issue?

Just before the Christmas, I ventured to my LCS to find something easy to keep me entertained during the holidays while visiting my parents. I came across The Essential Punisher vol 2 and I took it home with me, mostly because it was dirt cheap and it was the damn Punisher :p Now, I knew to expect something wacky but this opening caught me completely off-guard:

Oh 80's comics, why you so crazy?

that isnt even the craziest thing from that run, that would be when the punisher turns into a black guy and has to hide in the ghetto with luke cage

PunisherBlack03.jpg

demented

Ferals does look good, anyone know if Caligula is any good?

Yeah ferals and caligula looks cool, also The Boys, No hero too. Gonna check kick ass just because of that picture on previous page or wherever it is lol and fear agent because it's praised :)

that isnt even the craziest thing from that run, that would be when the punisher turns into a black guy and has to hide in the ghetto with luke cage

PunisherBlack03.jpg

In which he's immediately pulled over by racist cops

PunisherBlack05.jpg

and even picks up some early 90s rapper lingo like Flavor Flav, or Mc Hammer

PunisherBlack04.jpg

PunisherBlack07.jpg

Please Hammar, don't punish 'em!

And we haven't even talked about that issue where Frank infiltrates that gang that turns out to be a ninja training school

Mike Baron's Punisher run was bizarre

Owzers

Speaking of digital comics, what is everyone's take on them here? A friend of mine rants all the time how it's killing the comic industry, but he's a bit biased since he runs a shop.

Personally i prefer the digital comics and thanks for the heads up, i need to get this app, i just got the Comixology app or whatever a few days ago and loaded up on a ton of stuff. And as for these comics apps, is the Marvel app worth it? Are they still doing the $X a month for unlimited viewing?

I like digital comics but their prices tend to be awful apart from random sales, so i stick to DCBS and prefer titles that come with digital codes. Marvel Unlimited was okay, the reader is slow, their website is horrific to browse, and the content is robust but full of some gaps and it's title updating is infrequent. There are a lot of comics to read on it though.

Dan

At the moment I'm obsessed with over-exaggerated perspective as it really adds dimensions to comicshit, like this my fave pic of one Mister Ben Reilly:
Scarlet_s_Web_by_lastscionz.jpg

All of Chamba's stuff just has perspective on fukken lockdown. Definitely on the lookout for some drawing exercise guides in that area. Might get a figma like one of these:
lxPGw.jpg

and Greg Land the shit out of it on my Galaxy Note 2 through its camera and then Sketchbook Mobile (gifted with the express intention of getting me fucking drawing again)

Makes me think of Bill Plympton's animation. That's a staple of his work.

ajv7f.jpg

w82nV.jpg

NEO0MJ

Just got a good hull. Let's see...

-I kill Giants
-Grendel: Hunter Rose
-Y: the last man vol 1-3
-Kingdom come
-Sandman vol 10

Which should I start with? Gonna read vol 10 of Sandman after rereading all the older volumes. I feel that there's a lot I have to recall before the big finale.

Dan

Do you feel like crying? Then start with I Kill Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom