• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedline

Banned
How many of you have a local comic shop? The guy here has been selling comics for over 30 years and it seems business has been really bad lately. He is basically begging people to come pick up there pull lists so he can keep up shop. I guess some people have stopped buying, gone digital, shop online, or wait a while to go get their pulls. I hope he can survive in this business because it is all he really knows.

How many of you have a local comic shop? The guy here has been selling comics for over 30 years and it seems business has been really bad lately. He is basically begging people to come pick up there pull lists so he can keep up shop. I guess some people have stopped buying, gone digital, shop online, or wait a while to go get their pulls. I hope he can survive in this business because it is all he really knows.

Have several. Seems to be hit or miss depending on what else they focus on. One went out of business because they bought waaaay to much stupid shit like the $100 plus busts etc and couldn't move it. Another is doing OK. A third is also a card/miniature store so they are fine and the last 3 are extremely successful.

I have one shop that ive been going to. Im one the verge of not going anymore because they only get a couple of issues in of comics and other issues they sit there an read before the bag them. My Spiderman 700 had grease stains on it...and I was out of luck because they didnt have anymore in stock. They are nice people but they just dont really know what the fuck they are doing.

I got the first walking dead compendium for my birthday. I am not very far into it but I am really enjoying it so far. I don't typically read comics and I have only ever read Watchmen but I am into the TV series so thought I would enjoy the book.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

I think my LCS does pretty well. The customer service is great and the store is very well run. I've never not been able to get a book there when I go on Wednesdays. I don't even have a pull list. I even buy a few trades there despite the prices instead of online just to support them. I don't know how the other stores do in my comic store but I know they have to sell cards and other hobby stuff to succeed.

Viewt

So I broke down and downloaded the Dark Horse app to take advantage of the Conan and Massive sales. I've heard how crappy and buggy it is, but for the love of Space Ghost, I wasn't prepared. I couldn't even GET to the sale because it kept on crashing. Fuck this.

Shape up, Dark Horse. Get on Comixology.

EDIT: And to the old school X-fans, was Inferno good? All 16 issues are collected digitally for like $30, which isn't too bad a deal. I remember iFanboy liking it, but I'm curious if it still holds up today.

Acid08

Banned
There are three good and one bad shop in the area. The one I have my pull list at is great, the guy who owns it is friendly and they just started putting arcade machines in the back. They're doing well from what I can gather, he recently changed the layout of the store and it looks MUCH better.

I think if you have the money to support your local comics shop, you'd be remiss not to.

A good LCS is also going to incentivize your partronage; Me and my roomate share a pull list so we're at 50+ pulls a month, putting us into the 25% off bracket. $2.99 books cost us $2.25. A pretty sizeable savings.

zeeaykay

Can someone explain to me what the "pull list" is? Is it simply just what comics you pick up weekly/monthly? Do you order the from a subscription service?? Sorry I'm really new to this.

My local shop does 35% off any order but you have to order like 2 months ahead of time to get stuff on time. Is this what people mean by pull lists-- what they order and then go pick up?

Parch

I've lost some LCS in my area. They were the disorganized dumps with piles of boxes all over the place. In other words they were friggin' awesome. They were gold for deals, back issues and bargain bins. They were buying complete collections so there was always new old stuff to dig through.

Now the LCS are generic and clean with no deals. Good if you want a pull list filled, but sucks if you're looking for old stuff and bargain bins. It's mostly smaller stores so shelf space is pretty much 95% new DC and Marvel. It's just not the same anymore.

Can someone explain to me what the "pull list" is? Is it simply just what comics you pick up weekly/monthly? Do you order the from a subscription service?? Sorry I'm really new to this.

My local shop does 35% off any order but you have to order like 2 months ahead of time to get stuff on time. Is this what people mean by pull lists-- what they order and then go pick up?

A pull list is basically you telling your LCS to set aside specific books for you. This helps them to order the right amount of any given title and guarantee's you the books in question. You often, as you pointed out, get a discount as well.

zeeaykay

A pull list is basically you telling your LCS to set aside specific books for you. This helps them to order the right amount of any given title and guarantee's you the books in question. You often, as you pointed out, get a discount as well.

OK, thanks, that's kinda what I figured. I googled pull list and all these websites came up so I wasn't sure if it was something you were supposed to do online. Seems 35% is a good discount going by other comments, too!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
First foray into comics, and on a whim, I gave Thor God of Thunder a shot. Just read the first issue, and I'm loving the tone and art, really good stuff. Along with Thor, I'm really digging Hawkeye, and Saga. I feel like I've just opened a can of worms. Must be so many other great stories I have missed and need to catch up on.

Wow, you're 3 for 3 in terms of top notch comics.

And yes, you'll be busy for years bro.

Yeah, I'm up to chapter six right now. Holy shit, this book starts off strong and doesn't let go!

I started reading it too! It's great! On issue 6.

straight up emotional roller coaster. dat ending.

Essex County next. Get some tissues!

oy, alright. underwater welder left me pretty emotionally drained.

Underwater Welder was alright. Lemire needs to quit drawing though, but I know he needs the money. His faces look like are being forced into oddly shaped jars. They that look on their face like they starin' back at Lemire going, "why you drawin me brah"

i am shocked that you thought UW was just "alright." i mean rafa having a contrarian opinion on something that a lot of people seem to like? who woulda thought!

Just before the Christmas, I ventured to my LCS to find something easy to keep me entertained during the holidays while visiting my parents. I came across The Essential Punisher vol 2 and I took it home with me, mostly because it was dirt cheap and it was the damn Punisher :p Now, I knew to expect something wacky but this opening caught me completely off-guard:

Oh 80's comics, why you so crazy?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just before the Christmas, I ventured to my LCS to find something easy to keep me entertained during the holidays while visiting my parents. I came across The Essential Punisher vol 2 and I took it home with me, mostly because it was dirt cheap and it was the damn Punisher :p Now, I knew to expect something wacky but this opening caught me completely off-guard:

Holy shit, that can only end in blood. Tell me the issue doesn't end in a school shooting.

I love every single thing about that page.

smr00

Banned
Alright nerds i got an ipad and want to get back into comics (i never fully got out of comics but in the last 10 years i have only read/been reading Walking Dead, Invincible, Y The Last Man)

On my to read list i have Hawkeye, Thief of Thieves, All New X-Men and Saga. Anything else i should check out? I got "out" of comics back in like 2000-2001 so pretty much anything released from 2000-now i haven't read other than TWD/Invincible and Y The Last Man. Make my backlog insanely large gaf comic gods!

edit- To give you an idea of what i enjoy

Western themes
Post-Apocalyptic settings
Horror

Wouldn't mind getting into an extremely violent comic. After seeing Django i have been in the mood to read something bloody and violent. Also i am not the BIGGEST traditional mutant marvel comics like x-men or spider-man but i don't hate them, they just have to be written extremely well to hold my interest.

Owzers

Alright nerds i got an ipad and want to get back into comics (i never fully got out of comics but in the last 10 years i have only read/been reading Walking Dead, Invincible, Y The Last Man)

On my to read list i have Hawkeye, Thief of Thieves, All New X-Men and Saga. Anything else i should check out? I got "out" of comics back in like 2000-2001 so pretty much anything released from 2000-now i haven't read other than TWD/Invincible and Y The Last Man. Make my backlog insanely large gaf comic gods!

I'd check out Revival based on that list.

revi.jpg

And Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender for the "something written well x-men" category.

Despite the momentarily derpy artwork (especially Frank's facial expression on the third panel on the second page....), the following two pages are absolutely hilarious as well.

Yeah, well.....What do you think Frank's carrying in that suave briefcase? :D

The derpy art is part of the charm.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

edit- To give you an idea of what i enjoy

Western themes
Post-Apocalyptic settings
Horror

Wouldn't mind getting into an extremely violent comic. After seeing Django i have been in the mood to read something bloody and violent. Also i am not the BIGGEST traditional mutant marvel comics like x-men or spider-man but i don't hate them, they just have to be written extremely well to hold my interest.

Check out The Sixth Gun.

Been reading Mark Millar's Superman Adventures run

Who knew Mark "Rape is actually my middle name" Millar could ride such a good Superman book?

Mark Millar is an awesome writer. His runs on The Ultimates, Fantastic Four, Superman Adventures, Red Son, Wanted, and Marvel Knights Spider-Man are iconic and have been influential on the works that followed. That JLA issue he wrote with Amazon that was in the middle of Morrisons run was amazing too.

frye

I love Wanted and Kick Ass and Nemesis and Superior and Secret Service and Jupiter's Children and Kick Ass 2 and Hit-Girl and

Nesotenso

As far as im concerned that $1.5 billion Disney made off of Avengers? yea it belongs to Millar:

ultimate-nick-fury-samuel-jackson.JPG

108917-138190-hawkeye_super.jpg

79618-26067-captain-america.jpg

the aesthetics in the movie were largely based on Millar's and Hitch's run. Characterization ? Fuck no. While reading Ultimates made an interesting change from the norm, everyone in that universe was a dick of the highest order. A movie with rapey hulk wouldn't make 1.5 billion. Everyone should stop over crediting Millar.

I can't even imagine an Avengers movie if Mark Millar never created the Ultimates in 2000.

the aesthetics in the movie were largely based on Millar's and Hitch's run. Characterization ? Fuck no. While reading Ultimates made an interesting change from the norm, everyone in that universe was a dick of the highest order. A movie with rapey hulk wouldn't make 1.5 billion. Everyone should stop over crediting Millar.

Thor, Nick Fury, Hawkeye and Iron Man are almost identical to how Millar wrote them. The only thing they did was drop Thor's liberal agenda but they kept the whole "He thinks he's the god of thunder but hes really just some buff crazy loon" concept from Millars run.

Nesotenso

I can't even imagine an Avengers movie if Mark Millar never created the Ultimates in 2000.

Thor, Nick Fury, Hawkeye and Iron Man are almost identical to how Millar wrote them. The only thing they did was drop Thor's liberal agenda but they kept the whole "He thinks he's the god of thunder but hes really just some buff crazy loon" concept from Millars run.

I don't agree at all. More of an amalgamation of the movie writers and various comic influences including the Ultimates.

Edit : Can't wait to see how Nemesis is altered. Kick Ass was all the better for it. And this hack gets to supervise the X-Verse now. I bet people at Marvel are not too fond of him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom