• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
First order of the year:
* The Manhattan Projects, Vol 5
* Mind MGMT, Vol 4
* TMNT: Turtles in Time
* The Wake

Really psyched for more Manhattan Projects, that's possibmy my favorite ongoing right now.

Zombine

Banned
Have you never read Morrison's New X-Men?

I have lol. I just love how silly that page is out of context.

And man, I'm so jelly of you guys who are placing your first orders of 2015. My new job doesn't begin until next week, and I don't get paid again until the 15th from my second job. I got half a paycheck from this past week, and my buyout next week, but I won't be going hard again for a little while. I have to keep a nice saftey net for myself in case anything goes wrong over the next couple of weeks. Shit hurts man.

Edit: I'm still buying shit, I'm just not buying lots of books.

i placed my order a week ago but I'm counting it as my first of the year since it just got a shipping label today

X-FORCE BY KYLE AND YOST COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 01
X-FORCE BY KYLE AND YOST COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 02
FANTASTIC FOUR BY HICKMAN OMNIBUS HC VOL 02
EAST OF WEST TP VOL 03 THERE IS NO US
FLASH REBIRTH TP
SAGA TP VOL 04
SUNSTONE TP VOL 01
BLACK CANARY AND ZATANNA BLOODSPELL HC
GREEN ARROW TP VOL 04 THE KILL MACHINE
GREEN ARROW TP VOL 05 OUTSIDERS WAR

That Ant-Man teaser looks soooooooo good, you guys.

gTj7DlJ.jpg

Trust me on this.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have lol. I just love how silly that page is out of context.

And man, I'm so jelly of you guys who are placing your first orders of 2015. My new job doesn't begin until next week, and I don't get paid again until the 15th from my second job. I got half a paycheck from this past week, and my buyout next week, but I won't be going hard again for a little while. I have to keep a nice saftey net for myself in case anything goes wrong over the next couple of weeks. Shit hurts man.

Edit: I'm still buying shit, I'm just not buying lots of books.
Well, that's as good a time as any to tackle any backlogs you've got, whether in comics or beyond. Sometimes you just need that excuse.

Boogiepop

I have avoided temptation for once, gentlemen/ladies. My friend came over with a giant box of stuff he intended to get rid of in order to downsize (he recently moved into an apartment and lost his ability to store stuff elsewhere), and though it was hand picked to tempt me, I ended up with just the little Irredeemable Ant-man volumes, a few dvds/blu-rays, a Batman Beyond figure he insisted I take, and like a Yoshi and Vaporeon plush. I'm also currently holding onto a Siege hardcover and a Death of Superman trade with the insistence that I read them first and then decide if they stay or go (same with like 2 legit literature books). Oh, and I've been essentially strong-armed into holding onto his Empowered collection for now, since he figures it would be awkward to have to explain those. I'm standing firm that those will end up back in his possession, though!

I was mostly able to hold back by nitpicking condition and admitting to myself that there were better versions out there (IE I almost grabbed the whole Scott Pilgrim, but I'm just telling myself that I clearly totally need the color editions). The rest of the stuff is also at least going to get divvied up to other friends, so it's hopefully going somewhere it should be appreciated.

But yeah, I still hate having brought in stuff after just having tidied up, but at least I've proven to myself that my collecting minded self is not full on hoarder, or that I can at least resist it in the right situations. (Though, much as I hate to admit it, it's still probably there to some degree. I can't even begin to think of how I would cut down my massive manga collection. Though that may be low standards on my part, I don't know. Plus the tiny bit of straight up crap has some weird sentimental value since it all came from reviews, bleh.)

I agree. Its smart panel is still mostly broken but after the recent update its pretty good

Recent IST order is here. I had a number of Gon old printing volumes a decade or so ago so its good to have the whole run collected again

YOOOOOOOO Gon is so fucking legit it ain't even funny. Mad jelly rn. >:/

Zombine

Banned
Well, that's as good a time as any to tackle any backlogs you've got, whether in comics or beyond. Sometimes you just need that excuse.

I should probably work on SiP or the hundreds of other books I own but haven't read. Lol

CBTech

Just caught up with uncanny xmen and all new xmen. I'm loving the current story in uncanny. It really shows why I like Cyclops. He knows how to talk to people and think on his feet. Too bad they haven't got breakfast yet.

All new has been good through The Trial of Jean Gray but this current story with them transported to the ultimate universe has been pretty weak so far.

Overall I think Bending is a pretty good writer. He understands the characters he's writing and comes up with pretty interesting scenarios. His biggest problem, and it's a big problem, is that he has a very singular sense of humor and reuses jokes and conversation patterns a lot. It can really break characters and I can understand how this be a deal breaker for some people.

I would ask how the teen Cyclops solo book is but it is written by Rucka so I'm going to check it out regardless.

Messi

Just caught up with uncanny xmen and all new xmen. I'm loving the current story in uncanny. It really shows why I like Cyclops. He knows how to talk to people and think on his feet. Too bad they haven't got breakfast yet.

All new has been good through The Trial of Jean Gray but this current story with them transported to the ultimate universe has been pretty weak so far.

Overall I think Bending is a pretty good writer. He understands the characters he's writing and comes up with pretty interesting scenarios. His biggest problem, and it's a big problem, is that he has a very singular sense of humor and reuses jokes and conversation patterns a lot. It can really break characters and I can understand how this be a deal breaker for some people.

I would ask how the teen Cyclops solo book is but it is written by Rucka so I'm going to check it out regardless.

Not anymore, its now John Layman.

Owzers

New year, found a new avatar....but we are still in the community forums.

Also, New Avengers #27 was weird.

Today I ordered Planet Hulk/World War Hulk and all ten volumes of Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX.

Sorry for the short quote, but prepare to feel like you've been processed through a meat grinder and then got run over by a steamroller. That's one flawless purchase you did there, son. I don't mean to sound like a broken record but I'd love to hear your thoughts after reading through the Slavers-arc.

(Teehee, you're going to run into my avatar sooner or later during that run)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
even tho Im a Marvel fanboy, Preacher is probably my favorite series ever and I never read his Punisher stuff

am I a bad person?

Messi

even tho Im a Marvel fanboy, Preacher is probably my favorite series ever and I never read his Punisher stuff

am I a bad person?

Nah you are good, You are a crazy fast reader but other than that you are nowhere near Kipp Level of badness. That dude is trying to sink the industry. Did you know he went to a con last year and brought a pack of nuts and parking fare and bought nothing else. Shameful.

Rooster12

NoRéN;145683892 said:
Got a gift card to burn and can choose only one:
Batman: The Long Halloween or Batman: Hush?

Hush is trash...one of the most overrated works ever.

Long Halloween is the way to go.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nah you are good, You are a crazy fast reader but other than that you are nowhere near Kipp Level of badness. That dude is trying to sink the industry. Did you know he went to a con last year and brought a pack of nuts and parking fare and bought nothing else. Shameful.

I funny you should mention the fast reading, it was the same with actual comics you know. I blitzed through them in like 5 mins back in the day. Same now with MU.

Unfortunately Im having a shit day on a personal lvl, in fact, a shit start to the year, so I have no updates :/ I downloaded some stuff because im going to be away from wifi, that new silver surfer stuff, the rest of the new ghost rider thats up since I read the first, and also that new xfactor with gambit and the cats, I have no idea if thats any good

need to add the Ennis Punisher to my library so I dont forget

edit: its not all on MU, just random issues o_O like issue 1, 7, 11, 12 lol?

feelsbadman

SoilBreak

Banned
Charles Soule has four new projects coming out

>7. The Nervewracker. I don’t get (as) nervous as I used to about taking on legendary characters – I mean, as long as I have a take I think I’ll be okay. But it’s a different story with this one. I’ve loved this character forever, and some of the best writers and artists in the business have worked on the title. I don’t know how it will go, but I’m certainly going to give it my all.

>8. The Oh My God! This one is another Marvel book, and it’s for a character I think is actually a bit under-explored. I get to break some new ground here, and that’s always fun. Redefining expectations, you know? If I do my job right, people will hopefully want much more of this person, and I’d be more than happy to tell those stories. (Moleskine color – light blue.)

>9. The Tricky One. Another big book, with a pretty challenging central idea. The themes to be explored are complex, and even the logistics are tough. I just finished my first script for it, and turned it in – I think I’ve got a fun take on it, but I suspect people will have a bunch to say about this one.

>10. The Romantic One. A mini-series, about a couple I’m excited to write in a new context and a new way. I’ve had this story for a while, and I’ll write the first issue soon.

Shhhhh, plenty of time for them in a post SiP world.

Oh god we are going to live in a post SiP world soon

I don't want to go back to a post SiP world again. Today's reading was goooood (of course). Dammit Kipp why did you get us to read this again. Don't you see its putting a damper on all the other books out there! This is just another way for him to kill the industry

Top Bottom