• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Messi

I don't want to go back to a post SiP world again. Today's reading was goooood (of course). Dammit Kipp why did you get us to read this again. Don't you see its putting a damper on all the other books out there! This is just another way for him to kill the industry

He is taking the community down from the inside...

I know there was some discussion on Garry Browns art on Catwoman. I agree that his stuff looks muddy but it must be the coloring because his inked pages look great.

B6Seza0CIAAVRo9.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Recent IST order is here. I had a number of Gon old printing volumes a decade or so ago so its good to have the whole run collected again

Had no idea that Enigma reprint came out already. How did I miss that on IST's latest releases? Now I'm paranoid that I missed a whole week of releases or something.

Also, let me know how Dream Logic is! I'm really interested in that.

Messi

I know there was some discussion on Garry Browns art on Catwoman. I agree that his stuff looks muddy but it must be the coloring because his inked pages look great.

B6Seza0CIAAVRo9.jpg

Yeah I agree, the colouring is doing a number on it. I love looking at his inked pages but the finished product lacks that punch.

I flipped through it in the bookstore today. There's some really nice stuff in it, but only a few of the pieces from Daredevil: Echo. They should have tossed some more of the art in there. Nice book, for me, a lot would depend on price. I like my artbooks to have way more art than text.

Had no idea that Enigma reprint came out already. How did I miss that on IST's latest releases? Now I'm paranoid that I missed a whole week of releases or something.

I did a flip through it. It seems mostly to be an art book with a couple short story pieces thrown in and then photos and whatnot of the process, people, etc. But since i'm a huuuuuuge David Mack art fan this is a winner for me. That DH Library edition size is great.

Kabuki should be on the book club consideration list. More people need to read this series

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Nah you are good, You are a crazy fast reader but other than that you are nowhere near Kipp Level of badness. That dude is trying to sink the industry. Did you know he went to a con last year and brought a pack of nuts and parking fare and bought nothing else. Shameful.

I'm impressed by your memory. You got the details exactly right.
...That was a really fun convention though. Can't wait to go to another one and not spend money.

even tho Im a Marvel fanboy, Preacher is probably my favorite series ever and I never read his Punisher stuff

am I a bad person?

No, you're not a bad person, but you are a deprived person. Preacher is probably my favorite series ever as well and Ennis's non-MAX Punisher stuff is a close rival to it for me. It's just so, so enjoyable. Really similar tonally as well. His MAX stuff is also excellent, but it's almost opposite to Preacher and his non-MAX Punisher in tone.
I'd most definitely check out his Punisher stuff if I were you.

I don't want to go back to a post SiP world again. Today's reading was goooood (of course). Dammit Kipp why did you get us to read this again. Don't you see its putting a damper on all the other books out there! This is just another way for him to kill the industry

I'm sorry.
Today's reading was incredible. One of my favorite three issues yet. And that's saying something.

You're like an evil Kipp that can't stop buying things, instead of the normal one that never buys things.

He is Bizarro Kipp. In fact, you guys may not have noticed, but if you re-arrange the letters in gketter, it spells Kipp. Well, you kind of have to disassemble the letters, but it works eventually.

I flipped through it in the bookstore today. There's some really nice stuff in it, but only a few of the pieces from Daredevil: Echo. They should have tossed some more of the art in there. Nice book, for me, a lot would depend on price. I like my artbooks to have way more art than text.

It's only $20 on IST, so not bad at all. And I think it's more of an artsy comic book rather than an art book. Kind of similar to McKean's Pictures That Tick.

I did a flip through it. It seems mostly to be an art book with a couple short story pieces thrown in and then photos and whatnot of the process, people, etc. But since i'm a huuuuuuge David Mack art fan this is a winner for me. That DH Library edition size is great.

Kabuki should be on the book club consideration list. More people need to read this series

Ah, cool! I wasn't sure if it was Library Edition-sized or just oversized. That's awesome. And I really enjoy Mack's stuff as well (though I've never actually read anything that he's done the art for...) so I'll definitely try to pick it up sometime.

It's only $20 on IST, so not bad at all. And I think it's more of an artsy comic book rather than an art book. Kind of similar to McKean's Pictures That Tick.

Speaking of McKean, did anyone else ever "read" that book he did called Celluloid? That was.....something.

akira28

I nearly choked just now.

first time I had Sunny Delight was the first time i was invited to a white friend's house. I asked for a cup of Sunny D and immediately knew the meaning of regret. shit tasted like a mix between cough medicine, battery acid, and orange juice, and I had to choke that whole styrofoam cup of it down.

I wanted to know what was so great about it. Television had lied to me, that's when I knew there were two Americas, and that this world wasn't for black folks. That's when I converted to purple stuff forever.

randomwab

Guys, two random questions...

Is Planetary a stand alone title or is it related to any of Warren Ellis' previous work, like how Stormwatch leads into Authority?

And is The Pulse worth reading after Alias?

I have a nice hardcover of vol 5 of Kabuki I got signed by him at a convention some years back. Unfortunately, I've been able to read it. Eveytime I start, I kind of only look at the art and never really pay attention to the story.

On a different note, my wife got me an iMac for XMas, and I've finally got all my programs and files and necessary cables to get it all up and going for my artwork again. I hadnt drawn in like 4 weeks! Did a DD drawing I don't feel like finishing, but now I can focus on my comic again.

Is Planetary a stand alone title or is it related to any of Warren Ellis' previous work, like how Stormwatch leads into Authority?

I haven't read it, but AFAIK Planetary is a standalone deal

And that Quinones Squirrel Girl cover is great. Ant Man looks great. Comics are great.

I have a nice hardcover of vol 5 of Kabuki I got signed by him at a convention some years back. Unfortunately, I've been able to read it. Eveytime I start, I kind of only look at the art and never really pay attention to the story.
His work takes time to read. He meshes art and dialogue in a very unique and different way. But it's fascinating to watch the evolution of the black and white college project (Vol 1) to the later ones which is a mix of tons of different media styles, layouts, etc.

Guys, two random questions...

And is The Pulse worth reading after Alias?
It's essentially stand alone. Technically it's in the same universe but is never really brought up

Boogiepop

I've probably mentioned this in one of these threads before, but man, every time I think about Kabuki, it always reminds me of the first convention I went to with a friend. Bendis was there and he wanted to get Ultimate Spiderman or something signed, and I just recall that the massive line just wrapped around the Kabuki guy's booth and pretty much nobody was paying attention to him, so I felt kind of bad for him. I think we may have talked to him a little as we passed by, but we had absolutely no idea who he was. Is the series actually awesome?

Drayco21

The art looks great, but how has the writing been so far? I haven't really heard anything good about Hopeless's work.

The first two issues have been the worst books with the Spider-Verse name printed on them. The second was more forgettable than anything, but the first issue was really bad.

The new Ant-Man book will be set in Miami? Dope.

Love this thing with tossing Marvel heroes cross-country. Punisher in LA, Daredevil in San Francisco, Ant-Man in Miami, Ms Marvel in Jersey City, Venom in Philadelphia, and Ghost Rider... also in LA.

Owzers

I am gonna end up getting Ant Man and Howard the Duck arent' I?

wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm in for Ant Man this time because i feel guilty i stopped buying Supieror Spidey Foes trades in favor of finishing the run on MU. Might get Howard the Duck or wait for MU on that...

Top Bottom