• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd-z

How did y'all fellas miss Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge

Probably the best Rogues story I've read, and, in general, a great revenge tale. Scott Kolins draws the best washed-up, rain-ravaged Rogues.
How goos is it if I know nothing about the Rogues or the Flash?

samueeL

Banned
Okey gaf, back at home and these babies are waiting to be read, give me reading order! I'll read one tonight :)
XA4qOvh.jpg

I forgot to put up a LIST

Bodies #1
Low #1
And Then Emily Was Gone #1

did i miss when Bee and Puppycat came out or something
Okey gaf, back at home and these babies are waiting to be read, give me reading order! I'll read one tonight :)

Sex Criminals, then the rest in any order

frye

Since when is Wasp back? Didnt noticed that, I still thought she was dead/bombed in a unworthy shocker end for an shitty event?

Janet was brought back at the tail-end of Bendis's Avengers when he was in his "time to put all the toys back in the box" mode

GAMEPROFF

Banned
anyone read the mgs comics? any good?

What is that? :O

She was revealed to be not dead nearly two years ago. Since then, she's been on Uncanny Avengers.

Janet was brought back at the tail-end of Bendis's Avengers when he was in his "time to put all the toys back in the box" mode

Honestly, never heard of this, but ignored like everything from Bendis second Avengers and New Avengers Run. Good, liked her.

Since when is Wasp back? Didnt noticed that, I still thought she was dead/bombed in a unworthy shocker end for an shitty event?

It was post-AvX, some retcon using Thor's spatial warp and rescuing her from the Microverse in Bendis' Avengers. Whatever, point is she got better.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
IST just updated and I just bought the Doom Patrol omni

$74.99....can't beat it

I can beat it!

:p

Hey donnie, consider adding Six-Gun Gorilla to that basket ;)

I'll second that. It's a super unique book and very good. Something I definitely need to reread sometime soon to fully grasp. By the time I finished it the first time, my brain was a bit jumbled up trying to fully understand what I'd just experienced and it took me a while to really process it. Haha

What Robin books do I pick up in the comixology sale? Batman & Robin and Batman Inc?

Nobody recommended Batman Inc to you, but that was my favorite bit of the Morrison run, so I'll recommend it. To be fair, it may not be quite as satisfying if you haven't read Batman & Son, The Black Glove, or RIP, but I'm sure it'd still be a great read. Plus Chris Burnham art.

Kipp

Edit: CLOSE-UPS OF MORRISON'S MAP OF THE MULTIVERSE WHERE YOU CAN READ THE TEXT

Btw, I think I remember Tim recommending him before but someone else I'm looking at sampling, before his new series at Image next year. Ray Fawkes. Is One Soul, or the spectral engine a better place to start? Interested in all opinions.

Ooh, yeah. I remember Tim recommending those Ray Fawkes books as well. One Soul in particular sounded very interesting. The one thing that turned me off was the really high price of One Soul since it's published by Oni, but I just checked Amazon's used prices and they're very reasonable, so I might give that a shot sometime.

kd-z

anyone read the mgs comics? any good?
So... Fraction wrote this? o_O
I'll second that. It's a super unique book and very good. Something I definitely need to reread sometime soon to fully grasp. By the time I finished it the first time, my brain was a bit jumbled up trying to fully understand what I'd just experienced and it took me a while to really process it. Haha
Hm, interesting. To me the experience was quite different: everything clicked at the very end of the penultimate issue. I can even nail the exact speach bubble(s):
"Does that mean. That it never mattered?"
. Damn, I still get chills just remembering that line!
To be honest though, I DID take a two-week brake between issues #5 and #6 :p

Kipp

OH MY GOODNESS GUYS. This is my new most-anticipated book. I'm Birdie-tier excited about this.

Troy Little (haven't heard of him previously, but oh well) is adapting Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas!

DID I NOT JUST ASK FOR THIS JUST A COUPLE WEEKS AGO!?

Also, that's got me thinking. A comics rendition of any of Hunter S. Thompson's novels could be so incredible. I'd personally love to see The Curse of Lono as a graphic novel. It'd be perfect.

Granted, it could easily be a let-down, since it's adapting my favorite author to a different medium, but I'm still really excited for this.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How goos is it if I know nothing about the Rogues or the Flash?
I'm going to say yes because I read it when I was first heavily getting into comics, and I knew nothing worthwhile about Flash or the Rogues as well. That comic made the Rogues my favorite rogues gallery (as a group). It's a great revenge story about some down and out losers earning their keep in the DCU. There's enough exposition (Johns, yo) for you to understand the reason for the story and what's going on.
Btw, I think I remember Tim recommending him before but someone else I'm looking at sampling, before his new series at Image next year. Ray Fawkes. Is One Soul, or the spectral engine a better place to start? Interested in all opinions.

One Soul is a really great experimental book. I bought it based off of Tim's recommendation, started reading it one night while overly tired, started dozing a few pages in, and then the book clicked and I sat there 'til it was done. It's really powerful and unconventional, but once you learn how to read it, you really just get lost in that shit, and although not all of the 18 stories told are fully fleshed out, the whole story that the book is trying to tell, and the feelings it invokes are super fucking heavy and impressive.

Kipp

Hm, interesting. To me the experience was quite different: everything clicked at the very end of the penultimate issue. I can even nail the exact speach bubble(s):
"Does that mean. That it never mattered?"
. Damn, I still get chills just remembering that line!
To be honest though, I DID take a two-week brake between issues #5 and #6 :p

Yeah, that's why I definitely need to do a re-read. I got the gist of what happened, but that scene and one or two others near the end didn't really click with me and I wasn't quite sure what the significance of some of the dialogue was, even though I knew it was very important stuff happening. I think I may have been overthinking it or something. Haha. Either way, I felt a little bit dumb for not fully comprehending it (especially given my Morrison reading experience :p), but nonetheless, I very much enjoyed it and thought it was a great comic.
But yeah, probably in a month or so I'll do a reread and hopefully it'll really click with me like it did with you.

"What we've done is a linear, baton-passing thing, because each comic universe reads the comics of the previous universe. They get published in that world. So they're all reading each other's adventures, and this is how they finally learn to defeat the bad guy."

Not sure if that's something we already knew, but that is amazing.

Tizoc

Yeesh you guys are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay into Morrison's Multiversity. As excited as I am for it, I'm trying to avoid as much info released about it as possible.

So I'm reading some of the mega batman sale comics. I picked a stand alone issue and it was great!
Batman #251

Writer: Denny O'neal
Artist: Neal Adams

The story is joker is seeking revenge of five members of his former crew and batmans attempt to stop him. It was funny to read Batman acting so casual in dialogue around people. But the real highlight was the last act where the showdown happens in an aquarium which was adapted and used in the second half of the amazing Batman:TAS episode The Joker Fish.

It was a great read and I'm glad I got to read it

Wait, there are MGS comics? Do they retell the story of the games? Do they have similar style to the interactive graphic novels for the PSP?

Ashley Wood is the artist, the guy that did Portable Ops cutscenes, and I think Peace Walker? I actually have a few issues.

They're releasing the collected volume soon I believe. This week even?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom