• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been reading Hinterkind up to date that has an opinion to share? I like the look of the previews and the concept behind the series, but honestly coverage of the latest arc is so sparse, it's hard to tell if it's something I want to jump onboard. First arc impressions seems to be "has potential, needs to develop its characters though", has the second arc went any way towards that?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Has anyone been reading Hinterkind up to date that has an opinion to share? I like the look of the previews and the concept behind the series, but honestly coverage of the latest arc is so sparse, it's hard to tell if it's something I want to jump onboard. First arc impressions seems to be "has potential, needs to develop its characters though", has the second arc went any way towards that?

I've got all the floppies but I'm behind a few issues. The book started out really damn good, actually, and I'm generally not into the whole fantasy fare. Characters are pretty damn weak, as I can't name a single one off the top of my head, and while reading I constantly conflated some of them, and would have to look at previous issues just to figure out who the fuck was who (mostly with the humans, though). But the overall premise was not bad at all, and the writing is solid.

I'm being hilariously vague with shit, but it's basically a book that got onto my pull and stealths its way through each month. The covers are usually dope though.

I'm being hilariously vague with shit, but it's basically a book that got onto my pull and stealths its way through each month. The covers are usually dope though.

Hahaha, no that's great man, exactly what I was looking for. The covers are great, and I like the interior artist a bunch too. I find it hard to stick with series though when the characters don't do much for me. I guess we'll see. I feel like a betrayer, Vertigo has a bunch of ongoings that started in the last year that I haven't really checked out yet, but it's all by authors I have no idea about.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hahaha, no that's great man, exactly what I was looking for. The covers are great, and I like the interior artist a bunch too. I find it hard to stick with series though when the characters don't do much for me. I guess we'll see. I feel like a betrayer, Vertigo has a bunch of ongoings that started in the last year that I haven't really checked out yet, but it's all by authors I have no idea about.

Yeah, honestly, of the books from the last Vertigo wave and mini-wave, I think FBP is easily my favorite, and it's THE Vertigo book that I keep tabs on constantly. I feel like there's a Vertigo funk right now, and they really need to release something new and worthwhile.

Yeah, honestly, of the books from the last Vertigo wave and mini-wave, I think FBP is easily my favorite, and it's THE Vertigo book that I keep tabs on constantly. I feel like there's a Vertigo funk right now, and they really need to release something new and worthwhile.

I've got FBP down for the next batch of books I'm going to order, I'll definitely be checking that out. I was trying to figure out if I'd try and cram in Hinterkind as well, but I feel you man. I feel like I owe Vertigo something because they carried the torch for so many years with quality comics and giving creators the leeway they needed to tell the stories they wanted. Feels like that torch has passed to Image now though, I'm always looking over there when I have room for new books. Probably my greatest interests in the last wave were The Wake & Trillium, both short series by writers I already know I like. I applaud they're bringing in new writers and changing the guard but I've become stingy on taking a chance on writers I've not tried before, with so many of my favourite writers putting out not one but multiple books independent of the big two now. It's making me weary about picking up too many books I guess haha I don't want to stifle my collection though by not trying new things. I pretty much liked all those new books I tried last week too so that's another 4 to account for.

And of course, Royal Mail didn't deliver Deadly Class today. Fuckers. This is why I'm getting rid of Prime.

frye

finish asbartbw already you fuck!

Eh, I think Vertigo's been in a funk for the better part of a decade now for the most part. That's what happens when your contract (allegedly) sucks.

Cheska

For those who got a chance to pick up Low #1 early from SDCC, is it on par with Deadly Class and Black Science? I've been really excited by what I've seen of the previews so far.

kd-z

I'm pretty sure Marvel Unlimited on PC just loaded up my comic... and put dialogue from another one right in the middle. It's Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus #2. Silver Surfer is fighting Tenebrous and Aegis and suddenly someone starts talking about Ravenous and Centurions and the treaty between Ravenous and the rest of the galaxy. WTF.

Lombaszko

Has anyone been reading Hinterkind up to date that has an opinion to share?

Love it! I'm all caught up. It's one of those books I will have a hard time cutting from my pull list because it's just so enjoyable. The second arc is good so far, the new threat is interesting.
Vampire army with air ships!

I am also enjoying how sympathetic I'm feeling about the "bad guys" from the first arc. The Hinterkind characters get some nice development and backstory.

kd-z

What issue is this page from?
1486783-nova_vs_ironman_02.jpg
I've just finished reading Annihilation and Nova (vol 4) #1-3, but I have not seen it there :(

ReAxion

For those who got a chance to pick up Low #1 early from SDCC, is it on par with Deadly Class and Black Science? I've been really excited by what I've seen of the previews so far.

Yep. More similar to Black Science than Deadly Class as far as first issues go.

kd-z

?
That page is from Nova vol. 4 #2. The one with Richie and Tony having the staredown on the cover
That's what I was thinking but I went through the issue on Unlimited like 5 times now and it's nowhere to be seen. WTF, Marvel? I actually paid 10 bucks for this :/

Love it! I'm all caught up. It's one of those books I will have a hard time cutting from my pull list because it's just so enjoyable. The second arc is good so far, the new threat is interesting.
Vampire army with air ships!

I am also enjoying how sympathetic I'm feeling about the "bad guys" from the first arc. The Hinterkind characters get some nice development and backstory.

That's cool, thanks for that man. That's two yays so far, I think I might try and fit in the first volume to try out. Currently looking at a basket on amazon witttth:

Locke & Key volume 6 (FINALLY)
American Vampire Volume 6
Trillium
Lazarus volume 2
East Of West volume 2
Saga volume 3
The Manhattan Projects volume 4

and some new things to try:

Helheim volume 1
FBP volume 1
& considering Hinterkind volume 1

Just need to hold off until after next weekend, taking the missus to the hilton for a small break and I can't bring myself to buy a huge stack of comics before I get over that hurdle haha

That's what I was thinking but I went through the issue on Unlimited like 5 times now and it's nowhere to be seen. WTF, Marvel? I actually paid 10 bucks for this :/
Sounds like an error on Unlimited. That's part of the reason why I didn't bite the bullet on a subscription.
Shit, this looks amazing. To bad that so many TPBs of Nova arent aviable anymore... :/

Yeah, it's very difficult to find a lot of the Cosmic stuff from the last decade these days. Hopefully they'll reprint Nova into a Complete Collection like they are doing with Guardians of the Galaxy. An Annihilation Conquest omni or Complete Collection would be nice too since that's out of print as well.

I just can't do it. I can't get into the Annihilation-Verse.

I keep trying again and again, but it's just too bland, too shoddy, too flat.

I think there's a reason it's this sort of underground "No this is really good" type of thing and not a truly legendary set/run of comics.

It's just not good enough. The art is too inconsistent, the writing is too inconsistent, the characters aren't compelling enough.

Sorry. I can't do it.

I think there's a reason it's this sort of underground "No this is really good" type of thing and not a truly legendary set/run of comics.

It's just not good enough. The art is too inconsistent, the writing is too inconsistent, the characters aren't compelling enough.

Sorry. I can't do it.
I can understand not getting into Annihilation and a lot of the events but have you tried out Guardians of the Galaxy at all? The team was really charming and felt pretty consistent in how they were handled. I usually just recommend that and The Thanos Imperative because they are legitimately great books.

Can completely understand the art comment though.

I can understand not getting into Annihilation and a lot of the events but have you tried out Guardians of the Galaxy at all? The team was really charming and felt pretty consistent in how they were handled. I usually just recommend that and The Thanos Imperative because they are legitimately great books.

Can completely understand the art comment though.

I should try that, yeah.

I don't know though! Starlord and Wraith always looked pretty bad ass!

Argh!!

Hmm, Superior Foes of Spider-Man volume 2 is scheduled to come out tomorrow and it's supposed to collect issues 7-15 but the last issue was 13. Wonder if it's just gonna collect 7-12 like it was originally going to?

Either way, everyone should buy it if you enjoyed the first volume! The series has been consistently great excluding the two filler issues.

mjc

Yeah that page from Nova #2 definitely isn't in the Unlimited digital version...I triple checked the other night. Really, really weird. I guess one of the interns forgot to scan that page or something.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hmm, Superior Foes of Spider-Man volume 2 is scheduled to come out tomorrow and it's supposed to collect issues 7-15 but the last issue was 13. Wonder if it's just gonna collect 7-12 like it was originally going to?

Either way, everyone should buy it if you enjoyed the first volume! The series has been consistently great excluding the two filler issues.

Can you give feedback, when it contains the issues up to 15?^^ Interested in this^^

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
^ yeah, Annihilation Conquest: Star Lord shouldn't be skipped. Aside from showing the formation of the team it's a legitimately good mini. Good art and good writing.

Btw, I think I remember Tim recommending him before but someone else I'm looking at sampling, before his new series at Image next year. Ray Fawkes. Is One Soul, or the spectral engine a better place to start? Interested in all opinions.

Can you give feedback, when it contains the issues up to 15?^^ Interested in this^^
Well I'm buying it either way, but I'm fully expecting it to just contain 7-12. 14 comes out next month and 15 is in September. I have a feeling they were originally going to end the series at 15 but decided against it.

What Robin books do I pick up in the comixology sale? Batman & Robin and Batman Inc?

Batman 655-658 and Batman & Robin 1-16 for sure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Re-reading 90s Valiant. This is my happy place. Magnus, Solar, Eternal Warrior, Shadowman and Rai were so good.

Well Rai was alright.

fauxtrot

Banned
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm gonna keep reading Final Crisis, even though I don't feel like I have a grasp on enough of the DC Universe to really know what is currently going on. This is my current reading order (following Batman 681)... am I missing anything?

Final Crisis 1 - 3
Final Crisis Superman Beyond 1 - 2
Final Crisis Submit
Final Crisis 4 - 5
Batman 682 - 683
Final Crisis 6 - 7
Batman 701 - 702

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm gonna keep reading Final Crisis, even though I don't feel like I have a grasp on enough of the DC Universe to really know what is currently going on. This is my current reading order (following Batman 681)... am I missing anything?

Final Crisis 1 - 3
Final Crisis Submit
Final Crisis 4 - 5
Batman 682 - 683
Final Crisis 6 - 7
Batman 701 - 702

that'll be fine, only the Morrison issues are essential. And even Submit is kinda whatever.

kd-z

Oh damn, that's out now? I remember when everyone was talking about the book. Guh. I thought I had this thing nailed down. That's a great suggestion though, thanks man.

Hnnng, dat art.
That story, too. It really is something special. My limited vocabulary can't do it justice though :p

Sorry. I can't do it.
How much of it have you read? To be honest I was pumped to finally read Annihilation and was at first very disappointed. The Ronan miniseries was a particularly law point for me (though it was my introduction to the character), with Nova being the only redeeming part before I got to Silver Surfer and Super-Skrull, which showed signs of improvement. The core miniseries was very good and some moments were the freakin definition of awesome. Especially that last kill, holy cow! Richard Rider is a very cool character, too.

Truth be told the whole thing kind of lacked a sense of direction. Also, the quality of the art varied but most of the fights (and there are a lot of them) were just characters punching/shooting/'sploding stuff with no real meaning or visual narrative behind it.

I'll start reading Conquest the day after tomorrow and will post my impressions. I'm hopeful because DnA are supposed to be the lead writers on this instead of Giffen.

Teen Titans issue one was a pretty good comic. Rocafort is a schway artist.
No sense of movement though, that bus looked like it was set in place all the time :< But I am curious were the series is going so I hope at least some of you will keep buying it and posting impressions :p
In 8 months, time runs out!
This image is a reference to Zero Hour, isn't it?
250px-Zerohour1.jpg

Filthy Slug

Final Crisis 1 - 3
Final Crisis Submit
Final Crisis 4 - 5
Batman 682 - 683
Final Crisis 6 - 7
Batman 701 - 702

that'll be fine, only the Morrison issues are essential. And even Submit is kinda whatever.

How did y'all fellas miss Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge

Probably the best Rogues story I've read, and, in general, a great revenge tale. Scott Kolins draws the best washed-up, rain-ravaged Rogues.

How did y'all fellas miss Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge

Probably the best Rogues story I've read, and, in general, a great revenge tale. Scott Kolins draws the best washed-up, rain-ravaged Rogues.
That one is good and so is the Martian Manhunter Requiem issue and the Super Young Team Dance but you need them to get the full Final Crisis experience

Did you get the remastered Final Crisis with the new pages? They really do help clarify things and give the climax real room to breath. The Super Young Team shows up and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom