• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
We are creeps Cheska. We probably have these little things that come to life at night and plot to kill us in our sleep.

Better watch out for that Finch Wonder Woman. That booty will clog up your mouth-hole faster than you know it, and then it's as simple as pinching the nose.

Messi

Read the first 3 issues of Injustice digital comic. As someone who loves Injustice as a game this is right up my alley.

"Wait...did The Flash carry you here?" :D

Owzers

I complained about Zero Year before it came out.

And i was right.....as in my opinion beforehand wasn't changed. I thought it would be overly long and mediocre, but it was overly long and decent. Snyder's run will be something i don't regret buying but I don't think much of it. Zero Year has been the best arc so far for me, but that's only because i really disliked the last half of Court of Owls. I'd give it a solid 7.5/8 so far.

I complained about Zero Year before it came out.

And i was right.....as in my opinion beforehand wasn't changed. I thought it would be overly long and mediocre, but it was overly long and decent. Snyder's run will be something i don't regret buying but I don't think much of it. Zero Year has been the best arc so far for me, but that's only because i really disliked the last half of Court of Owls. I'd give it a solid 7.5/8 so far.

This isn't complaining about a storyline, though, or "this sounds lame". There's nothing to judge as far as that goes. But Finch's comments about the core of the character, claiming that judgement on that is somehow off limits or just "bias" against DC, is just ridiculous.

ElNarez

Banned
Saying Azz's WW is not about Wonder Woman was stupid enough but

Also not seeing the problem with not wanting to make her feminist?

Y'all are idiots.

And possibly hypocrites, depending on whether or not you threw a fit when the Amazons were rewritten way back when.

Saying Azz's WW is not about Wonder Woman was stupid enough but

Also not seeing the problem with not wanting to make her feminist?

Y'all are idiots.

And possibly hypocrites, depending on whether or not you threw a fit when the Amazons were rewritten way back when.

I could never truly hate anything that gives us gems like this:
tumblr_l1irznEpTl1qzmrzeo1_250.jpg

... That booty will clog up your mouth-hole faster than you know it, and then it's as simple as pinching the nose.

This quote out of context is amazing.

Read the first 3 issues of Injustice digital comic. As someone who loves Injustice as a game this is right up my alley.

"Wait...did The Flash carry you here?" :D

Injustice is great. Enjoy the ride.

Yes, get on the train! I don't know why Injustice doesn't get talked about more, it consistently has some of the best characterization in DC.

I'm just saying maybe we wait to see what the book is like before we jump to conclusions. I'm not going to judge a writer just because they don't have that many books under their belt. I'm glad DC is giving more female writers like her and Marguerite Bennett a chance despite being newcomers.

Yes, get on the train! I don't know why Injustice doesn't get talked about more, it consistently has some of the best characterization in DC.

But seriously. Fuck Tom Taylor for what he did to
Kyle Rayner
. That was some straight bullshit right there.

Messi

I'm just saying maybe we wait to see what the book is like before we jump to conclusions. I'm not going to judge a writer just because they don't have that many books under their belt. I'm glad DC is giving more female writers like her and Marguerite Bennett a chance despite being newcomers.

Does Becky Cloonan count?

Zombine

Banned
I am fully endorsing WW in November. I'm going to double down and also say it'll be fantastic. I'll also buy any related posters and prints and even a statue. I'll provide proof as requested.

But seriously. Fuck Tom Taylor for what he did to
Kyle Rayner
. That was some straight bullshit right there.

HAHAHAHA I actually have very little emotional attachment to DC characters barring the Big 3. But I do know a lot about their histories just because I read a lot of comics. So it's amazing to read a comic where I can spot all the character details and historical allusions, and then still enjoy it when shit goes down. I say
kill em all!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This isn't complaining about a storyline, though, or "this sounds lame". There's nothing to judge as far as that goes. But Finch's comments about the core of the character, claiming that judgement on that is somehow off limits or just "bias" against DC, is just ridiculous.

Meredith: For me, it's just being able to write Wonder Woman. She's really a female icon from way back in the '70s when females were stepping up and taking such powerful roles. Being able to take on that quintessential female superhero who represents so much for myself and for millions of people out there -- especially at a time where comics are coming more into the mainstream -- I feel like it's really special, and that's really where I'm coming from when I'm writing this. I want to always keep who she is and what I believe her core is central to what I'm doing.

We want her to be a strong -- I don't want to say feminist, but a strong character. Beautiful, but strong.

The way this dumb PR-hack-CBR interview comes off is that David just doesn't want to potentially bite down on labeling the work he's about to put out. Dude is probably doing his best to just tip-toe across any potentially incendiary shit he may get and just say that he's drawing Wonder Woman YAY. Yeah, it's fucking dumb, but his wife's comments read like she's probably with that feminist ideal. It's a hacky interview, and you're right, but maybe David Finch just tried to shield the book from misconceived notions of feminism, as it's his wife's big debut. I'm sure dude is getting shit for it.

A little more ridiculous is Dan Didio coming under fire for saying "the Trinity has never looked so good! [now that David Finch is on Wonder Woman]!"

A Triple H level burial, maybe, but nothing really worth getting worked up over aside from maybe a lolDidio here and there.

Brief comics aside, I read the first issue of Dixon's Nightwing and it was very good. I'm not ready to buy the whole run, though. not 3 weeks before San Diego.

A little more ridiculous is Dan Didio coming under fire for saying "the Trinity has never looked so good! [now that David Finch is on Wonder Woman]!"

A Triple H level burial, maybe, but nothing really worth getting worked up over aside from maybe a lolDidio here and there.

Brief comics aside, I read the first issue of Dixon's Nightwing and it was very good. I'm not ready to buy the whole run, though. not 3 weeks before San Diego.

hahah i thought i was the only one who noticed that.

"hope I never have to hire anyone who used to draw -- oh, shit, I do?"

Messi

I feel entitled to support the thickness. It'll be my Catwoman and I'll Embrace it until the end.

Oh yeah, totally unrelated, but are we gonna get a Destiny group going on?

You are choosing a dark path that you cant possibly understand.

Zombine

Banned
You are choosing a dark path that you cant possibly understand.

Hey man I know that feel already. I read Walking Dead AND Catwoman. I would even go as far as to say that Walking Dead is the highlight of whatever week it lands on for me.

fertygo

To be honest, I just got intensely bored with it. 10 issues in and I didn't really feel invested in the story, or anybody in the book, Wonder Woman especially. I loved that Azz stayed within the Greek mythological aspects, and strayed from the the rest of the DCU, but I wanted a strong Wonder Woman story, not one where she was still a passive participant that many issues in. I could be wrong, as that's what, two years ago at this point, but that's the lasting impression I got from my time with that book. Also, that was at a point where there were so many damn good new 52 books, that I didn't feel bad dropping it.

IMO, its what WonderWoman need.. a run that expanding her fascinating lore.. so what if the focus not entirely about her, look to her many bad/mediocre run.. its like that and not an satisfying read and have too little interest developing her universe, WW isn't like Batman where the universe already stoned in star with so many book about him and gotham already, or Supes that have JL books that pretty much his actual book/story..

WW still have underdeveloped universe that honestly frustrating because her background is effing great, now this new run seemingly want to move away from amazon business again, hooray you seeing her again in most panel as JL's cheerleader head role.. in beautiful and arousing panel admittedly.

The way this dumb PR-hack-CBR interview comes off is that David just doesn't want to potentially bite down on labeling the work he's about to put out. Dude is probably doing his best to just tip-toe across any potentially incendiary shit he may get and just say that he's drawing Wonder Woman YAY. Yeah, it's fucking dumb, but his wife's comments read like she's probably with that feminist ideal. It's a hacky interview, and you're right, but maybe David Finch just tried to shield the book from misconceived notions of feminism, as it's his wife's big debut. I'm sure dude is getting shit for it.

One would hope, but again...

"That's one aspect of being a female writer I can bring to her. Women tend to react in a different way, and I can bring some of that reactionary (thinking), going from your heart sometimes more than from your head,'' she says.

I really dont care about what David Fincher said in an interview. Honestly, I dont let politics stop me from enjoying something that I enjoy. Thats just not who I am.

But he did apoligize for what her said.

I wasn't saying Wonder Woman is not for being equal, and therefore a feminist. I just want her to be a human being, fallible and real.

I certainly apologize to anyone who can see how it could be interpreted that way, but it couldn't be further from my heart.

Tizoc

No it doesn't. It started out fine, but went full retard after a few issues.
DC is out there not only to ruin our books but also to ruin our fun
C8dnNDJ.jpg

...this ain't the 90s anymore DC.

fertygo

I really dont care about what David Fincher said in an interview. Honestly, I dont let politics stop me from enjoying something that I enjoy. Thats just not who I am.

Don't you think why people complaining also because the comment implying the direction that they gonna take for the book?

Filthy Slug

IMO, its what WonderWoman need.. a run that expanding her fascinating lore.. so what if the focus not entirely about her, look to her many bad/mediocre run.. its like that and not an satisfying read and have too little interest developing her universe, WW isn't like Batman where the universe already stoned in star with so many book about him and gotham already, or Supes that have JL books that pretty much his actual book/story..

WW still have underdeveloped universe that honestly frustrating because her background is effing great, now this new run seemingly want to move away from amazon business again, hooray you seeing her again in most panel as JL's cheerleader head role.. in beautiful and arousing panel admittedly.

I actually agree with most everything you've written, and that does sound like a better direction for Wonder Woman, rather than throwing her back into the JL satellite--I'm turned around. I'm going to read Azz's full Wonder Woman run once it's complete, and then I'll be able to verbalize exactly how I feel about the entirety of it.

Man, you ain't heard? 3-D lenticular covers and dick jokes are back.

Being a feminist is at odds with being "a human being, fallible and real?" If anything, that's digging the hole deeper.

It also sounds like he's saying feminists are against equality, though I assume that's just the result of a badly constructed sentence and not what he intended to say.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
To be honest, I just got intensely bored with it. 10 issues in and I didn't really feel invested in the story, or anybody in the book, Wonder Woman especially. I loved that Azz stayed within the Greek mythological aspects, and strayed from the the rest of the DCU, but I wanted a strong Wonder Woman story, not one where she was still a passive participant that many issues in. I could be wrong, as that's what, two years ago at this point, but that's the lasting impression I got from my time with that book. Also, that was at a point where there were so many damn good new 52 books, that I didn't feel bad dropping it.

I'll give it a reread in trades once its done, see if I misjudged it, though. I think Azz is a good writer, but sometimes dude falls flat, like with Spaceman.

It's a good book but it's really not a Wonder Woman book, it's more of an ensemble book. Diana just happens to be a character in it, that doesn't mean she doesn't do some badass stuff. It relies heavily on mythology and the baby storyline continues to hinder the books progress.

THEBABYTHEBABYTHEBABY

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Slug, definitely keep us updated on what you think if/when you decide to read more of it.

Being a feminist is at odds with being "a human being, fallible and real?" If anything, that's digging the hole deeper.

Meh. I wouldn't read too hard into it. Looks to me like it's just some sloppy wording. I say give the guy a break. He tries to apologize for something he said and you're trying to find holes in his apology. I'm not trying to defend him for anything (I really don't know anything about this guy), but you folks are going pretty hard on him.

Messi

Harley and Green Arrow's issue was d'awwww. Awesome.

--

Hey remember that time Joker raised a gorilla from birth until he was fully grown. Became friends with him then trained him to fight and use weapons only to kick him out of a helicopter for no reason. After years of effort.

Kipp

Thank goodness neither Daredevil OHC vol 3 or Robocop vs Terminator are new release deals of the week at IST or else I'd probably have to put in a $50+ order for a second week in a row.

...I'm still tempted to anyways.

James Stokoe's Wonton Soup got a new TPB release today too. I'll probably pick that up eventually.

Thank goodness neither Daredevil OHC vol 3 or Robocop vs Terminator are new release deals of the week at IST or else I'd probably have to put in a $50+ order for a second week in a row.

...I'm still tempted to anyways.

Yeah, I've got my eye on that Powers Definitive Edition Vol.6, but I wanna wait a few weeks before some other things come out. I hate paying shipping, even if it is only $4.

Really? Injustice regularly spends it's issues having people talk to each other in ways that make sense. For instance, this last issue shows so much about the two characters, while also taking them in new directions. Just about every issue is like that. Sure, you can go, well Superman would never become a fascist overlord. But why not? The series has spent two years bringing Superman to that line and past it in believable ways. Even after so many issues he still isn't a full-blown crazy tyrant like in the game. See the resolution of the Green Lantern/Sinestro arc. He's still trying to do what he believes is right.

It also sounds like he's saying feminists are against equality, though I assume that's just the result of a badly constructed sentence and not what he intended to say.
I think it's just bad wording on the apology. I'll give him benefit of the doubt on this one

Messi

Yeah, I've got my eye on that Powers Definitive Edition Vol.6, but I wanna wait a few weeks before some other things come out. I hate paying shipping, even if it is only $4.

Man look at that shipping privilege. :D on Book Depository shipping to Ireland is £4 per book. Take it or leave it. Order from any USA store, Bam $30 plus.

Man look at that shipping privilege. :D on Book Depository shipping to Ireland is £4 per book. Take it or leave it. Order from any USA store, Bam $30 plus.

Yeah, but you guys get fucked on everything. I couldn't imagine having to pay customs fees.

Messi

Yeah, but you guys get fucked on everything. I couldn't imagine having to pay customs fees.

Oh that shipping doesn't include customs. Anything from outside the EU over €23 means you are screwed.

I'll have to pay another 25ish euro on that Ivy statue :/

Kipp

Yeah, I don't think I could ever bring myself to make a sub-$50 order on IST. IST is too clever, getting you to make $50+ orders.

The most devious thing about IST though is that 2% discount. A dollar or two savings is practically nothing, but it works so well to make me want to put in another order within that 8 day period. My sense of reasoning kicks in and I think "Well, I'm gonna buy these books eventually. I might as well buy them now and save an extra couple bucks rather than paying an extra couple bucks by buying them in a month or two." It's too clever. I hate it. Haha

Tizoc

Yo ya'all need to read Nimona if you actually appreciate fun stories
nim208_0.jpg

It's already entering its final chapter or 2.

Really? Injustice regularly spends it's issues having people talk to each other in ways that make sense. For instance, this last issue shows so much about the two characters, while also taking them in new directions. Just about every issue is like that. Sure, you can go, well Superman would never become a fascist overlord. But why not? The series has spent two years bringing Superman to that line and past it in believable ways. Even after so many issues he still isn't a full-blown crazy tyrant like in the game. See the resolution of the Green Lantern/Sinestro arc. He's still trying to do what he believes is right.

I just don't like how they went about it, there was also that dumb line from Mirror Master which I don't remember right now that really lowered my interest in the book.
Also it had 'Batman is always right'. I can't really enjoy that book a lot.

I dropped Azz's Wonder Woman like 10 or so issues in, and I love Greek mythology and ancient Greek stories...

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BABY!!

Seriously while I consider the current run of WW a good run, and I love greek mythology, that said, it's not a WW solo book. It's also well past its time for this story to end already. 3 years on ONE storyline. That's a lot of time to get to the end of a story that started in issue 1.

I'm not so upset about the current team leaving, if they were sticking around to say issue 50 it would just mean another 18 months of The Baby! and WW coming in second place in her own damn book.

I think it would have made an awesome companion book to a WW book that actually focused on just her. Which it almost sounds like we're still not going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom