• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kotobukiya announced another SDCC exclusive - ArtFX+ Grey Hulk.

Limited Edition of 2,000 pieces, $75.
10382860_899822190034178_5907056807786053431_n-noscale.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is it worth it to read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing? I've only read his stand alone stuff.

I take it you liked the work you've read?

If so, go for it. Swamp Thing mostly stands alone as well. It's kind of forced to touch on a big DC event for one or maybe two issues, and maybe couple appearances from other DC characters, but none of it's a big deal. It's really just Alan Moore doing whatever he wants with the character.

I'd say give it a whirl. It's also the kind of book a local library might carry, if that's accessible and you're so inclined.

Finished Black Science vol 1 and I loved it.

The art was great but the coloring was phenomenal and really made the book have this awesome art style. I thought the first issue was a little hard to get into but the later issues really fleshed out the story and sucked me in. The various dimensions the crew gets stranded in are all super creative and fascinating (the monkey world is amazing), I really can't wait to see what comes next.

Now I'm debating whether or not to follow the series regularly or just trade wait on it. I think Remender is my favorite writer in the industry, I have yet to read something from him that I dislike.

Messi

Damn, I forgot to vote for Harley #7! It should have gone in my second place spot, but I was in a rush compiling my list to get it in before the deadline. I let y'all down... :(

You dropped the ball, man. Shame on you. I remembered, but I thought there were 31 days in June.

The entire first arc is her trying to get a job at Jezebel. He didn't want to say it because he's going to let his wife's work speak for itself.

Damn it guys, did I not warn you enough.

8bit

Knows the Score
Is it worth it to read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing? I've only read his stand alone stuff.

It's good, it's slow but it's full of ideas that still underpin the DC universe. Do try to find Issue 20 first though, I seem to remember the collected edition starts with the Anatomy Lesson which is issue 21.

After the disappointment of Birds of Prey, I have found something that I am loving. Doom Patrol: The Painting That Ate Paris is bloody amazing. Just finished the titular arc. It seems to be the second volume of Grant Morrison's run, so I will have to find volume 1 and the rest. The Brotherhood of Dada were brilliant, especially Fog and Quiz's powers.

Using Dadaism to defeat the 5th Horseman who was attaining meaning and power through the other movements was genius.

Doom Patrol is absolutely brilliant.

jordisok

Yo ya'all need to read Nimona if you actually appreciate fun stories

It's already entering its final chapter or 2.

I read LOADS of this last time someone (you??) recommended it and it was really fun!
Completely forgot it existed till I saw this.

Ah allow me to help!
The recommended reading order for the current IDW comics is this:
1- Last Stand of the Wreckers
2- More than meets the eye Vol. 1
3- Robots in Disguise Vol. 1
Then you can focus on MTMTE since IMO its the better book, but if you want more about stuff going on on Cybertron after the Autobot Decepticon war ended, read Robots in Disguise, as its a good book on its

Really if you like reading and especially like stories where the focus is the characters and the journey, you will LOVE this book. It's my fav. comic book series .

Ok seems there's a lot of enthusiasm for TF books on here!! I'll definitely have to take another look at it now, thanks for this :).

Mindwipe

What are some of the best comics based on the Warhammer 40K universe? I want to jump in but I don't know where to start.

There's nothing spectacular, all the good 40K material is in prose.

Yay, I'm glad one of my posts influenced someone's purchase. Hope you enjoy it because #2 will rock your socks off.

Speaking of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye, what's the difference between these two volumes?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1613772351/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1613779658/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks like the latter is a new printing with a new cover and 4 additional pages? Was going to get the first volume but noticed the older printing was $1.70 less.

Yup (and a much worse cover). The extra pages are just some concept art IIRC.

dan2026

I love the IDW Transformers so freaking much.

Its basically the idealised version of the 80s show that I always had in my mind as a kid, but never actually existed.

Zombine

Banned
Damn it guys, did I not warn you enough.

I'm a slacker bum who waits to do everything until the last minute. I'm going to need a PM for the exact number of days a month has, and how many days I have left every day for the entire month.

Edit: freeza is the figure master. If you see him walk into a store with his tape measure you know he's about to scrutinize the fuck out of your scale. He needs a tv show on TLC where he goes around and helps people like us get a better bang for their buck when it comes to buying figures.

And we either probably still not getting that, or we gonna had a run that gonna have story about her PMS or something judging from all those interview.

WOW, talk about over exaggeration here.

I mentioned that in previous posts that we're still probably not going to get the WW focused book we need. That doesn't make the previous run any more WW focused, or change it into not being an ensemble book.

And most important than all big chance that we gonna have one less good DC book to buy, in the end that's what matter to me than comparing Aquaman or The Flash's screentime in mediocre to terrible book that they currently have.

Aquaman is still good, Flash is ok. I'm going to wait until the new WW creative actually releases a book before saying we have one less good DC book to buy. Honestly for me, if the current team stuck with WW, and kept this BABY!! storyline going I'd probably drop it in another month or two. It started out as a well written book, that has just dragged it's storyline out for way more issues than it should have ran. I don't give a fuck about Zola and her baby any more, I've had my fill of the greek pantheon taking center stage in the book. Give me some stories with no one else but WW in them already.

Zombine

Banned
And just plain wrong.

Lol we only talk about Batman a little. Most of our talk is Harley/Catwoman/Legion(or at least GH playing the Used Car Salesman role in getting others to read it), Eternal, and maybe it's brought up a few times how Zero year cost too much.

Messi

Lol we only talk about Batman a little. Most of our talk is Harley/Catwoman/Legion(or at least GH playing the Used Car Salesman role in getting others to read it), Eternal, and maybe it's brought up a few times how Zero year cost too much.

Zero Year cost too much? I don't mind paying that price for a book of that quality. Capullos art in particular makes it worth it.

Zombine

Banned
Zero Year cost too much? I don't mind paying that price for a book of that quality. Capullos art in particular makes it worth it.

Capullo's art is incredibly vibrant, absolutely. But when it comes down to it, some of those issues were hitting marvel levels of price gouging. As someone from the outside looking in, were they oversized? And If they were oversized, could the books premium be justified when other "oversized" specials remain the same price? It sounds like you enjoyed it, I just wanted to make sure it's not just a Batman tax being applied to a regular comic book.

Messi

Capullo's art is incredibly vibrant, absolutely. But when it comes down to it, some of those issues were hitting marvel levels of price gouging. As someone from the outside looking in, were they oversized? And If they were oversized, could the books premium be justified when other "oversized" specials remain the same price? It sounds like you enjoyed it, I just wanted to make sure it's not just a Batman tax being applied to a regular comic book.

Some, maybe two were oversized the rest are 3.99 book? The book is of good quality physically. Love the glossy covers. His art really pops and the story is of good quality. I don't mind giving them 3.99 once a month for something of that quality.

One issue was 7.99 though... I think.

Edit : sorry for the scattershot post. I am in a rush. :p

Literally all Batman characters outside Legion, and only GH gives a damn about them

After the disappointment of Birds of Prey, I have found something that I am loving. Doom Patrol: The Painting That Ate Paris is bloody amazing. Just finished the titular arc. It seems to be the second volume of Grant Morrison's run, so I will have to find volume 1 and the rest. The Brotherhood of Dada were brilliant, especially Fog and Quiz's powers.
]

congrats you've discovered the greatest comic book run of all-time. All downhill from here, friend!

Yes, especially the first year.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
congrats you've discovered the greatest comic book run of all-time. All downhill from here, friend!

Doom Patrol is absolutely brilliant.

Dammit, guys. I think I've been fully convinced to pick up that omnibus at the end of the month.
I looked through the upcoming releases and there are no other collected editions coming out within the few weeks before and after the omnibus releases, so I think my wallet can safely handle it.

Edit:
Also, I'm unashamedly so incredibly excited for this to come out: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401249469/?tag=neogaf0e-20

People eat up Marvel's bullshit prices and paper quality so I don't mind the occasional larger issue costing a bit more. Especially with the beautiful thick covers and overall good paper quality.

Comes out next week brah!
Niiiice, that's awesome news!

To give you time to play and beat Divinity: OS, bro.
Haha, hopefully it'll be complete by then :->

Go find these old issues and flesh out your Warren Ellis Moon Knight even more. Really want to learn about the sniper now.
"The Slasher," "Master Sniper Strikes," "A Box Of Music For Savage Studs," "The Dream Demon,"
Thanks for asking this question. Time to head to google and then comixology!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's good, it's slow but it's full of ideas that still underpin the DC universe. Do try to find Issue 20 first though, I seem to remember the collected edition starts with the Anatomy Lesson which is issue 21.
The new editions DC started putting out in 2009 include #20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom