• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What are some of the best comics based on the Warhammer 40K universe? I want to jump in but I don't know where to start.

Hey remember that time Joker raised a gorilla from birth until he was fully grown. Became friends with him then trained him to fight and use weapons only to kick him out of a helicopter for no reason. After years of effort.

Such a memorable issue.
Screen+Shot+2013-08-02+at+10.35.04+AM.png

so what if the focus not entirely about her

Because that's also what she needed. She's been in plenty of Ensemble books before. What she needed as part of the N52, something that Aquaman even fucking got, was a book focused on her that ALSO expanded her lore.

Like I've said before don't get me wrong their run on WW was a good one, and for the most part enjoyable, but DC is severely lacking a strong WW main title that is focused on the title character WW. Azz's run could have been called Wonder Woman and the Greeks, and it would have been great. Billing it as WW knocks it down for me, I wanted a title focused on her. Not her version of Aquaman's others, or her version of Batman's Brave and the Bold, or her and her superfriends.

Give me a damn WW book, focused on WW.

I just don't like how they went about it, there was also that dumb line from Mirror Master which I don't remember right now that really lowered my interest in the book.
Also it had 'Batman is always right'. I can't really enjoy that book a lot.

It seems like you have a problem with the concept. The concept loosely being that Superman turns bad while Batman is always right. And maybe you don't like some places the plot went during the unfolding of the overall arc. That's totally fine. I disagree, but fine. But you have to admit, it's got some great character interaction.

Tizoc

OK webcomic recommendation #2 is Cucumber Quest, it is so adorable and hilarious-
490.jpg

FYI she's talking to the big bad final boss, and I don't care that its a spoiler you kids need some actual/more good comics to read >=/

Such a memorable issue.

What issue is that from?

Shoot I totally forgot about Lumberjanes! Gonna aim to read it someday.

It seems like you have a problem with the concept. The concept loosely being that Superman turns bad while Batman is always right. And maybe you don't like some places the plot went during the unfolding of the overall arc. That's totally fine. I disagree, but fine. But you have to admit, it's got some great character interaction.

Eh I guess its just not the kind of interaction I would enjoy and sometimes the dialog is cringe worthy >_>;

Bii

Got bored over the weekend and decided to try out a few books:

Shutter #1: Bought this pretty much off of a Bii post :). First few pages are absolutely beautiful, made me wish I had a physical copy, shows a shitload of care went into the intro and it definitely worked out. Kinda got a bit lost at the end but it is ~explorers/mystery~ and everything up to that point was great. Also 'brand mew day', amazing. Will definitely keep reading.

Transformers: MTMTE #1: Ehh felt totally out of my depth on this one think I'd need to read more and maybe the main series? Just had a hard time following who/what was where/how. Maybe thats a fault with me though.

Yay, I'm glad one of my posts influenced someone's purchase. Hope you enjoy it because #2 will rock your socks off.

Speaking of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye, what's the difference between these two volumes?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1613772351/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1613779658/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks like the latter is a new printing with a new cover and 4 additional pages? Was going to get the first volume but noticed the older printing was $1.70 less.

So what's everyone getting me for my birthday this month? I expect presents.

I expect an address so I can stalk you some...err, I mean, for present sending purposes.

Speaking of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye, what's the difference between these two volumes?

Speaking of speaking of Transformers, I've had an itch to start reading some to quench my robot-boner. But I know nothing of what's going on chronology-wise. The Dark Cybertron thing sounds cool, but is it a good jumping-on point or is there requisite reading?

Tizoc

Transformers: MTMTE #1: Ehh felt totally out of my depth on this one think I'd need to read more and maybe the main series? Just had a hard time following who/what was where/how. Maybe thats a fault with me though.

Ah allow me to help!
The recommended reading order for the current IDW comics is this:
1- Last Stand of the Wreckers
2- More than meets the eye Vol. 1
3- Robots in Disguise Vol. 1
Then you can focus on MTMTE since IMO its the better book, but if you want more about stuff going on on Cybertron after the Autobot Decepticon war ended, read Robots in Disguise, as its a good book on its own.

The reason you start with Last Stand is because that's the beginning of James Roberts work on the TF series, he did write 2 issues of the main Transfromers book before MTMTE, which were about Optimus on pre-war Cybertron.

The only things you need to know going into Last Stand is:
1- The Autbots fought the Decepticons on Earth, there they made a few human allies, such as Variety who snuck into Ultra Magnus' ship and has been with him for some time.
2- Prior to the events of the Wreckers, the Autobots were still battling the Decepticons but were betrayed which lead to the events that take place at the start of that book.
3- Megatron is presumed dead after a recent skirmish with the autobots some time before the main events of Last Stand take place

That's all you need to know.
FYI that 90% of the characters in MTMTE? They weren't even used in the main TF books until then, so you don't have to worry about some past stories they could''ve been in, and any that do mention them aren't important for the overall enjoyment.

Really if you like reading and especially like stories where the focus is the characters and the journey, you will LOVE this book. It's my fav. comic book series atm.

Speaking of speaking of Transformers, I've had an itch to start reading some to quench my robot-boner. But I know nothing of what's going on chronology-wise. The Dark Cybertron thing sounds cool, but is it a good jumping-on point or is there requisite reading?

As I posted above follow this reading order =)
2- MTMTE Vol. 1
4- any later volumes of either series

MTMTE is the stronger book IMO: Smart and clever writing, great characters and feels.
effin' feels.
Whirl makes any 'tragic' character Marvel or DC write look like some amateur 10 year old's trite attempt at it.

Dark Cybertron takes place after some volumes of RiD and MTMTE.

Zombine

Banned
I expect an address so I can stalk you some...err, I mean, for present sending purposes.

I always said I wouldn't feel like I've made it in my career until I get my first stalker. Will
You be my first, Bii?

Oh, and I'm ready for this heat. I need it. Help me out with my tan, people.

You ready?

I liked Starlight #1 better than Saga #1.

Bii

I always said I wouldn't feel like I've made it in my career until I get my first stalker. Will
You be my first, Bii?

I won't be your last. ;)

I'm going to SDCC later this month, so I can pick up an SDCC exclusive item from there as a little gift to you. PM me your address and I'll see if I can pick something up. No promises but I'll keep you in mind.

Oh, and I'm ready for this heat. I need it. Help me out with my tan, people.

You ready?

I liked Starlight #1 better than Saga #1.

Edit: Wait, hold on a sec, what? Starlight #1 over Saga #1!?

Parch

What are some of the best comics based on the Warhammer 40K universe? I want to jump in but I don't know where to start.
I don't think there are any Warhammer comics right now, are there? BOOM had a mini called Damnation Crusade a few years ago. Pretty good artwork on that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there are any Warhammer comics right now, are there? BOOM had a mini called Damnation Crusade a few years ago. Pretty good artwork on that.

That's a shame, the 40K universe is so awesome, it would make a great comic book.

arkon

Start with the #1 from a couple of years ago. It was a new starting point for the IDW TF stories. Both books branch out from there and the current favourite for most people is More Than Meets The Eye. I've mentioned it before but I started at #1 with both books and didn't have too many problems. The main issue was working out who each character was, but you soon get to grips with that. Or at least I did.

ReiGun

So I've been without internet for a week. I hop online today to check the newest comic book news and what do I see but Wonder Woman's new creative team!...

iblnzw1QjjYvTf.gif

le sigh

I'll give it a shot, but considering the writing credits to Mrs. Finch's name and my distaste for Mr. Finch's art (not to mention his apparent inability to call Wonder Woman a feminist [in other words, missing out on a pretty fucking important part of the character]) I'm not holding my breathe for something amazing here.

Oh well. At least all the talk of "the baby" can now be replaced with all the "Superman is so cool and awesome and the only man who I love love love so much -uguu-" that spilt over from Superman/Wonder Woman. (And who knows? Maybe someone will find out where all Diana's villains not named Cheetah disappeared to.)

anaron

Homg, the thread title is magical

I've always wanted to go to comic con badly, but the idea of crowded, sweaty, stinky motherfuckers grosses me out enough to seriously avoid doing so.

How bad is it usually?

Saga #19-20 were fantastic! Love this series. Phenomenal artwork too...

I just picked up the first three volumes (missed most of it, going to start individual issues at #19). I'm really excited to read it. Glad to see this post. I don't always get out to shops but I always love seeing new stuff that I might have missed. My new favorite series is Undertow, especially the artwork. Saga was a recent one I discovered too.

I've always wanted to go to comic con badly, but the idea of crowded, sweaty, stinky motherfuckers grosses me out enough to seriously avoid doing so.

How bad is it usually?

SDCC isn't that bad. It is very crowded but it doesn't smell as bad as you would expect outside of a few pockets here and there.

If you ever get to go, it is totally worth it.

fauxtrot

Banned
Damn, I forgot to vote for Harley #7! It should have gone in my second place spot, but I was in a rush compiling my list to get it in before the deadline. I let y'all down... :(

Zombine

Banned
Damn, I forgot to vote for Harley #7! It should have gone in my second place spot, but I was in a rush compiling my list to get it in before the deadline. I let y'all down... :(

You dropped the ball, man. Shame on you. I remembered, but I thought there were 31 days in June.

aaannnnd just saw that David Finch said he didn't want to say Wonder Woman is a feminist.

I'm done.

The entire first arc is her trying to get a job at Jezebel. He didn't want to say it because he's going to let his wife's work speak for itself.

How bad is it usually?
Not that bad on the smell front, but hoo boy those crowds

ReiGun

I don't think I can do the bigger cons. I went to NYCC and was over it within hours. All those crowds. All those people.

Smaller cons are dope, though. Baltimore Comic Con was great last time I went.

After the disappointment of Birds of Prey, I have found something that I am loving. Doom Patrol: The Painting That Ate Paris is bloody amazing. Just finished the titular arc. It seems to be the second volume of Grant Morrison's run, so I will have to find volume 1 and the rest. The Brotherhood of Dada were brilliant, especially Fog and Quiz's powers.

Using Dadaism to defeat the 5th Horseman who was attaining meaning and power through the other movements was genius.

As I posted above follow this reading order =)
2- MTMTE Vol. 1
4- any later volumes of either series

The Wreckers hardcover I can get from IST, so I may get the two Dark Cybertron volumes then as well. It looks like IDW has a hardcover coming out in August that has issues #1-6 of both Robots in Disguise AND More Than Meets the Eye. So that sounds like what I need.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Recommendations for this month? I'd say Cinder and Ashe by Gerry Conway and Jose Luis Garcia-López , which is a four issue limited series from 1988, with the TPB being re-issued this month.

XVo9JCC.jpg

Cinder and Ashe are a team of private investigators – one, a veteran of the Vietnam war; the other, the daughter of another U.S. soldier and a native Vietnamese woman. They’ve been hired to find a kidnapped girl – but as they travel across the U.S. on her trail, their own traumatic pasts come back to haunt them. Collecting the four-issue miniseries for the first time!

This could have been a great fit for Vertigo given that it's a hard-boiled detective story. (Although, as the ad points out, the series is recommended for mature reading given the depicted graphic violence and rape that comes along with the story arc). Opinions on the story aside, this is probably one of my favourite Garcia-Lopez sequential works.

ISBN is 9781401246389 for those interested.

^intriguing! Cool part of reading these old Suicide Squad books is seeing all these ads for series i'd never heard of, though i haven't heard of that one in particular.
Ah allow me to help!
The recommended reading order for the current IDW comics is this:
2- More than meets the eye Vol. 1

Thanks for this post, I've heard really good things about current Transformers and it all looks good

Ok I read Viewtifuls Riddler recommendation from the June thread, King Tuts Tomb. It was a fun story but I honestly think Snyder has done a better job at Riddler than what this story accomplished. Writing Riddler is a challenge because he is supposed to be smarter than everyone. I don't think the Riddler was written any special way in KTT. I actually think the characters around him were made to look dumb, including Batman. But like I said, it was a fun story with a hint of classic Batman campiness.

oh HELL yeah

DC Comics/Vertigo Announces THE KITCHEN

NYC. THE SEVENTIES. DISCO. PUNK. BLACKOUTS. SUMMER OF SAM. YANKEES FEVER. TIMES SQUARE.

This is the world of THE KITCHEN, a new 8 issue mini-series announced by Vertigo today.

Written by newcomer Ollie Masters with art by illustrator Ming Doyle, THE KITCHEN follows a group of four mob wives who get a taste for crime when their husbands are jailed.

THE KITCHEN arrives November 1.

kitchen01.jpg

Owzers

i'm disappointed that Daredevil vol 3 OHC wasn't half off at IST, yet at the same time i regret buying the first two. I really loved the series in the beginning but that stopped when heads started to get severed.

fertygo

Because that's also what she needed. She's been in plenty of Ensemble books before. What she needed as part of the N52, something that Aquaman even fucking got, was a book focused on her that ALSO expanded her lore.

Give me a damn WW book, focused on WW.

And we either probably still not getting that, or we gonna had a run that gonna have story about her PMS or something judging from all those interview.

And most important than all big chance that we gonna have one less good DC book to buy, in the end that's what matter to me than comparing Aquaman or The Flash's screentime in mediocre to terrible book that they currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom