• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

GrandHarrier trying to break from the hive

fC0Yyjq.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Like sillymonkey, I also just read the first issue of Batman Year 100. This is the first thing I've read by Paul Pope and that man makes some fantastic art:
0qUQC0Fl.png

(story was ok too)

How are Battling Boy and Heavy Liquid? I always see the covers for them but know literally nothing about them.

Heavy Liquid and 100% are my favorite Paul Pope books. Even outside of the phenomenal art, the story in both is solid and super interesting.

Basically, pick up both.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Obviously just teasing. When I'm at work I get bored and make any possible jokes I can regardless of whether or not they're either funny or accurate. I take no issue with your DC comics reading. I still need to read some Legion stuff... Or just comics in general, really.

Heavy Liquid and 100% are my favorite Paul Pope books. Even outside of the phenomenal art, the story in both is solid and super interesting.

Basically, pick up both.

For some reason Heavy Liquid didn't do anything for me at all, which is very strange because I adore Pope's art and I really like the premise of Heavy Liquid.
I still really want to read 100% though. Shame the collected edition is so expensive. I'll find it at the library one day.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
For some reason Heavy Liquid didn't do anything for me at all, which is very strange because I adore Pope's art and I really like the premise of Heavy Liquid.
I still really want to read 100% though. Shame the collected edition is so expensive. I'll find it at the library one day.

Paul Pope is totally an acquired taste, but moreso his storytelling. Like, he always does odd sci-fi shit, but I'm always into the art+story combination he throws onto the pages. Something about it all melds really fluidly and it's not the deepest or smartest, but it's a vehicle for him to pump out his art, and I'm super happy about that.

Also, all of his dude protagonists are him!

Email from DCBS

"Hello,

The creators of this book, Jason Aaron and Jason Latour, have announced a new variant for issue #10 of this series. It's titled SOUTHERN BASTARDS #10 COVER B CHARLESTON CHARITY VAR and will feature cover art by Jason Latour, the interior artist of the book. All proceeds from this book will be donated by the creators to the families of the Charleston shooting victims. We want to show our full support for this team and their amazing generosity, so we are offering this book at a special discount of 50% off until FOC (final order cutoff), which is Monday, July 6th. Keep in mind this does not affect the amount of money the creators get from us, this only affects the profit that DCBS makes off the book."

Team Bruce/Diana

NvhcBlE.jpg
You post the picture but not the caption for context?

Mr. Wayne, meet Ms. Prince

Batman and Wonder Woman have a meeting of alter-egos as Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince parry and flirt at a high-society function. “I love the fact that there was this Thomas Crowne Affair, Bond-y sexy scene that they wrote about two people who are pretending to be two different people who each know the secrets of the other person,” says Ben Affleck.

Image Credit: Clay Enos
Calling it now:
Lois dies in the next sequel and we end up getting a loose adaptation of Kingdom Come because it's a "popular" story like TDKR, where Clark and Diana get together because they're both superstrong eternally young aliens in a world of mere mortals, while crippled old Ben Affleck looks on and wistfully remembers the time his parents were gunned down in an alley because DARKNESS, NO PARENTS.

Kipp

Paul Pope is totally an acquired taste, but moreso his storytelling. Like, he always does odd sci-fi shit, but I'm always into the art+story combination he throws onto the pages. Something about it all melds really fluidly and it's not the deepest or smartest, but it's a vehicle for him to pump out his art, and I'm super happy about that.

Also, all of his dude protagonists are him!

Yeah, for sure. He definitely puts out the type of comics where the art alone is worth the price of admission and any story is just an added bonus.

And lol yes, totally.

Battfleck is unamused by your shenanigans.

(Also, holy crap at all the body shaming going on in that thread. Affleck is fat, Godot is too skin, Cavill is bald...)

Yeah a bunch of dudes that that do nothing but sit around peeing in bottles because they can't get out of their video game session talking shit about Ben Affleck?

Kipp

Yeah a bunch of dudes that that do nothing but sit around peeing in bottles because they can't get out of their video game session talking shit about Ben Affleck?

Surely the best way to combat body-shaming is to start gamer/nerd-shaming.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rafael Albuquerque is the one Millar sucked up for Huck.

ElNarez

Banned
new Anthony Johnston series about spies I'm so goddamn in

y'all should not sleep on The Fuse that's also some good shit

what's wrong with 1/10 scale? It will be slightly larger than my batman black and white statue i think, 7.7'' for Emma.

I'm a figure snob, honestly. 1/10 is a pretty small scale when you compare the pricing with the size of the figure you get. 1/8 is the most common, but my preferences lie with 1/7 or 1/6 (best scale). The 12" Kotobukiya Wonder Woman, for example, is 1/6.

so how many pages do you think we're looking at until Huck becomes horrendously offensive

I'm going with tacky "shocking" opening splash page to draw attention. Perhaps some incest, or maybe even black people hanging from a tree while somebody says some Mark Millar ass dialog.

Lol wat...Kirkman you label literally every 5 issues "new reader friendly"

Not new reader friendly enough, apparently. XD

This is going to go fucking nowhere for the next five years. The only improvement he can really make is if he gets on that Anissa hype-train day one.

We should totally start a comics news website called Fucking Bullshit News.

We'd only be posting depressing comic news, in that case.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Heartless by Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay. Horror-ish, about a female musician facing elements of her past upon returning to a family cottage in England. Something like that.

I'm nearly to the end of Infinity (if you don't recall, I've read from 2000 to 2014 Marvel over the last few months for the first time).

I'm digging it, and Hickman-vengers in general, but I feel like the Marvel Now soft reboot is a bit clunky in a couple of places. Like, especially where cosmic stuff is involved. Thanos, for example, seemed to have slowly evolved into a bit more of an introspective, less aggressive character under Starlin/DnA in the mid 2000's. He could still be a real bastard if you crossed paths with him but he wasn't the rampaging mega-evil villain demanding children's heads as tribute across multiple planets, complete with his team of evil henchmen. It's like they just needed him to be ratcheted as far up as possible for Infinity so he became super crazy evil again.

But the true galactic evil was Annihilus... Annihilation was the greatest war of all time in terms of casualties and people being involved. He invaded the entire universe and killed countless civilizations. He should basically be seen as universal Hitler. Why on earth is he on the Avengers side during Infinity? I know the Earth heroes had their heads up their ass fighting Civil War during that time and were largely unaware that the biggest bloodiest war of all time was happening, but still. No way would Captain America work with him. And what was the point of him being there anyway? Cap told him to release his new Annihilation Wave. He did, and the Builders immediately shut it down. That was it.

And for that matter, how is Star Lord just some anonymous dude getting into bar fights again after being a universally known war hero whose strategies were crucial in beating Annihilus? He was a hero to the Kree AND the Skrulls for shit's sake. I know that's part of Bendis taking GotG where he wanted, but it's just another example of Marvel Now kind of blurring over continuity here and there.

Heartless by Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay. Horror-ish, about a female musician facing elements of her past upon returning to a family cottage in England. Something like that.

Tula Lotay is fucking amazing. I had no idea what the fuck was happening in Supreme Blue Rose, but it was beautiful.

I bought a signed Elephantmen art print of hers, once. This one:

emlp2014_15-2T.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom