• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, Power Up #1 by Kate Leth/Matt Cummings was pretty fun, though mostly setup. It's only a 6-issue mini so for now, i'm in for all of it. i imagine if you like other Boom Box stuff this'll be up your alley

We Are Robin #2 was good. Not as good as issue 1, IMO, but still good; kind of a large cast getting introduced all at once, there's gonna be some teething issues. Still, the art remained very much on point, the story is interesting, and the characters (while, again, not fully realized) are still very entertaining. Y'all better not sleep on this one.

Grayson #10. I am confused. The way this whole "spykiller" plot line is playing out confuses me. So... Dick thought it was Agent 1, but
Agent 1 apparently disagrees, and now Dick's off to Italy to rescue him? What? And the Spyder... thing... only speaks in metaphors about actual spiders? The Lex Luthor bit was great, though.

What the hell is a g chat

ac819d31a7a0dd6a6868dabed8de8119.jpg

literally didn't sleep last night. wasn't even tired. i think it's the Cyborg hype. shop doesn't open for 3 more hours. but now i'm kinda tired. fuck.

Cyborg was okay. Looks like they're doing something similar to what they've done with GA, BC, etc; adding some character-specific lore. The
Tekbreakers and whatever the other guys were called looked interesting.
Great art all around. Character drama is solid too.

But... I dunno. It's missing something.

Boogiepop

So, I read some stuff. Off the top of my head:
The Ghostbusters: Mass Hysteria omnibus. Definitely felt weaker than the last one. Still had some solid enough stuff and wasn't BAD, but it kind of bugged me that it was effectively leading up to a big old
"hey look, it's like the first movie! It's got Gozer and stuff!" arc rather than doing its own thing. And they already kind of had that be a big thing in the first part anyway, so it feels like a big old waste.
. Also, someone mentioned the "sexy" outfits earlier, and maybe I'm just too desensitized from other comics, but those were just plain shorts. Not even like short shorts. It's of course demeaning and all that like they were saying in the comics that they were getting forced into different outfits... But yeah, didn't seem all that sexed up to me.

Ironically, TMNT/Ghostbusters felt like a better capstone to the Ghostbusters run to me (though they're apparently reviving it again). Totally fanfic-y but nicely done, I found it enjoyable.

TMNT volume 11. Holy crap, that ending with
Don dying. Geeze that was brutal.
. And yeah, nice volume as always.

And Shutter volume 2... I really want volume 3 to not be so far away. Really clicked for me, a lot more than volume 1.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My Comicshop doesnt even answers me anymore why they dont ship my Issues.

And after my Guardians Bendis rant from monday, now think of what a Event Book Ive got gifted at work today :D

Messi

Finally had time to sit down with the Kabuki library edition vol 1. Oh my is this beautiful. I can wait to reread this amazing series again in the larger format. It'll make his amazing and dense work come to life even more

Messi and Kipp you better be buying these.

Freeza have you checked out your copy yet?

I have never seen it. Why do you think I should get it?

Kipp

Hey whatsinaname, you up for a Simonson's Orion mini-reading-club this weekend? This weekend comics will happen for me. And I want to crack open my Orion omnibus.

Dark horse hardbacks are no joke. I guess I will get this. Is it on IST?

For real. I'll pretty much buy any Library Edition Dark Horse puts out. They're so nice. And so cheap. Like, that Goon LE has an MSRP of $40! For nearly 500 pages! That's insane.
Yeah, it's on IST.

Hey whatsinaname, you up for a Simonson's Orion mini-reading-club this weekend? This weekend comics will happen for me. And I want to crack open my Orion omnibus.

Sure. How many issues are you planning to read?

The backup stories from the issues have been moved to the end of the Omnibus, so I plan to follow the reading order Simonson posted on facebook.

An ORION Omnibus concordance:

ORION Issue Number and Story Title
Backups: Tales of the New Gods
(All backup stories by Simonson except for issues 8 and 15)

3 For Purple Mountain Majesties…
Nativity/Frank Miller

4 Above the Fruited Plain…
Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down / Dave Gibbons

6 The King is Dead…Long Live the King!
The Perfect Servant / Eric Larsen

7 Tough Love!
Death and His Brother / Howard Chaykin

8 The Righteous Treacheries of Desaad! Or Orion Rules!
Deadend / Jeph Loeb & Rob Liefeld

10 Sirius Business! Or Dog is God Spelled Backwards!
Light! / Art Adams

12 The Ordering of Apokolips
The Garden / Jim Lee

13 The Ordering of Earth!
The Arming of Apokolips / Simonson

14 The Ordering of the Cosmos!
Frankenstein’s Legacy / Simonson

15 At the Edge of the Abyss
Greater Than/Lesser Than / Kevin McCarthy & John Paul Leon

18 The Return of the Prodigal!
A Good Servant / Al Milgrom

19 Laugh and the World Laughs With You!
The Art of the Deal / Eddie Campbell

that attitude of his is so unappealing. i mean, come on dude. you made the first one, you know what happened. we're adults. just say it's not going to happen. don't hold it hostage in some sad promo campaign.

Kipp

Sure. How many issues are you planning to read?

The backup stories from the issues have been moved to the end of the Omnibus, so I plan to follow the reading order Simonson posted on facebook.

Sweet! Not really sure. I don't have any big plans on Saturday or Sunday, so basically as many issues as I can read before my interest wanes. Haha. I'm going to shoot for 10 issues on both days, but I'm guessing that's super optimistic.
I don't mind at all if you read way more or way less than me, I just think it'd be fun to both be reading the same series at the same time!

And yeah, I plan to read the backup stories in the correct order as well. Gonna do a double bookmark thing I think. Haha
Also, just to be sure I'm reading that list correctly, the backup stories don't start until the 3rd issue, right?

I need to get off IST and ya'll need to stop recommending books that I will inevitably go look for on there.

Just add them all to your wishlist! My wishlist is MILES long by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom