• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

No I'm in Dallas.

deandre-jordan-gif.gif

Zombine

Banned
GH is putting in work. You don't become a DBZ TCG master without cutting some of the fat our of your life.

I can confirm he is ok.

So at what point was Xavier starting to be portrayed as a terrible person? I thought it was originally Whedon/Cassaday's Astonishing run, but then I'm reading Claremont/Larocca's X-treme and that changes things since it appears to happen concurrently to Morrison's run (or at least the costumes appear to be the same). So I'm just curious, because damn they are laying it on thick.

Also the current theory Sage/Storm have on what Vargas appears to be is absurdly hilarious. "Physical manifestation of the Xavier Protocols"? Oh boy. Jean proposes a link to Cassandra Nova, which is happening concurrently, and that Vargas is the ultimate physical force to Cassandra's ultimate psychic force.

Oh man I'm digging X-treme way harder than I have any right to.
So, on the subject of DC's... variable new continuity, thought this was fun (Green Arrow #42):
ymBnUb3.png

Emiko's a Black Canary fan, apparently.
I still don't understand Black Canary's history as a comic character. Her origins...anything. I know nothing.
All new Captain America has been really cool. I love Sam Cap. I hope he continues after SW.
I'm genuinely okay with, hoping even, that Sam remains Cap for the foreseeable future. I genuinely do.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
We already know Sam is still Cap after SW from the ANAD stuff

So at what point was Xavier starting to be portrayed as a terrible person? I thought it was originally Whedon/Cassaday's Astonishing run, but then I'm reading Claremont/Larocca's X-treme and that changes things since it appears to happen concurrently to Morrison's run (or at least the costumes appear to be the same). So I'm just curious, because damn they are laying it on thick.

Also the current theory Sage/Storm have on what Vargas appears to be is absurdly hilarious. "Physical manifestation of the Xavier Protocols"? Oh boy. Jean proposes a link to Cassandra Nova, which is happening concurrently, and that Vargas is the ultimate physical force to Cassandra's ultimate psychic force.

Oh man I'm digging X-treme way harder than I have any right to.

X-Treme X-Men is hilarious

As for "Xavier is a dick", that goes right back to the original X-run in the '60s. Dude was chasing after teen Jean and faked his own death to prove a point. Plus, c'mon, "X-Men"? He named them after his initial? And don't give me that "no its named after the X chromosome all mutants have" shit, BECAUSE YOU NAMED THE CHROMOSOME YOU EGOTISTICAL JERK

ProfX%2BIs%2Ba%2BJerk.jpg

X-treme xmen was my guilty pleasure xmen book when it was coming out. Except for that dude from India and that lifeguard person. Ugh.

But sage! Bishop! Storm! There was one point in the run, I think midway or near the end where the stars aligned and the book started firing on all cylinders. Then it went off the rails again

I have nearly bought new Suicide Squad Vol 1 like 4 times this week. I know it's bad but I can help it.
New 52 SS is genuinely a fun (but very dark) action book for the first four trades. Harley has a solid story arc (I think) and I liked it alot. Volume 5 (Walled In) is the Forever Evil tie-in and it's garbage.

New Suicide Squad (the actual book name) is terrible for the first 6 issues. So take that as you will.
X-Treme X-Men is hilarious

As for "Xavier is a dick", that goes right back to the original X-run in the '60s. Dude was chasing after teen Jean and faked his own death to prove a point. Plus, c'mon, "X-Men"? He named them after his initial? And don't give me that "no its named after the X chromosome all mutants have" shit, BECAUSE YOU NAMED THE CHROMOSOME YOU EGOTISTICAL JERK

ProfX%2BIs%2Ba%2BJerk.jpg

I'm talking more about when they really started laying into him and making him scummy. A jerk? Of course. Pretty much every team leader/mentor figure was in Marvel books back in the day.

I still don't understand Black Canary's history as a comic character. Her origins...anything. I know nothing.

Generally, she fills a "martial artist with/ powers" role. Canary Cry is generally up there in terms of power, at least relative to other sonic attacks.

Origins wise, nothing too noteworthy? I think they're adding a twist in her current ongoing.

X-treme xmen was my guilty pleasure xmen book when it was coming out. Except for that dude from India and that lifeguard person. Ugh.

But sage! Bishop! Storm! There was one point in the run, I think midway or near the end where the stars aligned and the book started firing on all cylinders. Then it went off the rails again

Was it when Rogue beat the fuck out of Vargas in Madripoor? Fucking Ororo shot Viper.

That was literally the first (and before I read the first trade) issue of that book I had ever read and I thought it was godlike.

Messi

New 52 SS is genuinely a fun (but very dark) action book for the first four trades. Harley has a solid story arc (I think) and I liked it alot. Volume 5 (Walled In) is the Forever Evil tie-in and it's garbage.

New Suicide Squad (the actual book name) is terrible for the first 6 issues. So take that as you will.

I'm talking more about when they really started laying into him and making him scummy. A jerk? Of course. Pretty much every team leader/mentor figure was in Marvel books back in the day.

I thought the first new 52 suicide squad was dreadful shit. I read all of that stuff and wish I could get my time back. Those death of the family issues. What an insult.

Probably with Deadly Genesis. Nigga had an X-Men team before the 05. They all died in terrible mission failure, then he pretended they didn't exist/mind wiped people so they forgot. It was a mulligan, didn't count!

But even before that, he had sketchy shit. Like in the 90s, he had the "Xavier Protocols", which is like Batman's shit in Tower of Babel and had plans on how to kill all the powerful mutants in the world "just in case". Of course a bad guy gets their hands on it.

or ya know just pretending he lost his powers to see what his team would do. What a dick

090810-uxm5c.jpg

Generally, she fills a "martial artist with/ powers" role. Canary Cry is generally up there in terms of power, at least relative to other sonic attacks.

Origins wise, nothing too noteworthy? I think they're adding a twist in her current ongoing.
Are they actually giving her lore? Because I fully support that. DC seems to be doing that in general with some characters lately. Lemire did it with Green Arrow; Red Hood and the Outlaws did it with Jason Todd. Now they might be doing it with Canary? What a good time to be a comic book fan.
I think so. It's all vague to me now. But there were news/camera crews I think?
That was super it:
So good
I thought the first new 52 suicide squad was dreadful shit. I read all of that stuff and wish I could get my time back. Those death of the family issues. What an insult.

Well then absolutely don't pick up New Suicide Squad. It'll just be worse for you. Especially with Harley. Black Manta is the only redeemable part of that book.

Vyer

Kabuki is really beautiful. The story flow is a bit odd for me though

btw you live in Houston right?

Are you gonna go to Space City Comic Con this weekend?

Its p good! Dean White is the best thing about the book imo. He totally made look JRJR like a new artist. JRJR!

I'm in Houston. Don't know if I'll be going to Space City though. Went to Comicpalooza earlier this year.

Messi

I read one issue where Harley and Jokers Daughter fight and I felt like that was exactly how dark Harley would defend herself against someone stepping to Joker.

Probably with Deadly Genesis. Nigga had an X-Men team before the 05. They all died in terrible mission failure, then he pretended they didn't exist/mind wiped people so they forgot. It was a mulligan, didn't count!

But even before that, he had sketchy shit. Like in the 90s, he had the "Xavier Protocols", which is like Batman's shit in Tower of Babel and had plans on how to kill all the powerful mutants in the world "just in case". Of course a bad guy gets their hands on it.

or ya know just pretending he lost his powers to see what his team would do. What a dick

090810-uxm5c.jpg
Deadly Genesis is when Vulcan came into play, yeah? Seems about right.
Messi still salty about those Harley issues.
I liked them
Yea! That was the peak of the run. What issues were they?

Number 17

I read one issue where Harley and Jokers Daughter fight and I felt like that was exactly how dark Harley would defend herself against someone stepping to Joker.

The arc with Duela is more about replacing Harley in the Squad then it is about her stepping to Joker. The reason I hate NSS is because it just makes Harley crazy for crazy's sake. There's no character there anymore. Not after all the development she's had.

EDIT: Apology accepted. I can get why you don't like them. I do, because it feels like Harley "woke up" I guess. That's how I read it.

Vyer

ah cool! I had to miss out on Comicpalooza

Im tabling at Space City so I dont know how much tix are but I heard they were pretty reasonable

That's good to hear. tbh Comicpalooza has become a little crazy when it comes to ticket prices.

If I go I'll definitely have to stop by your table!

frye

I never liked that 80s shoulder pad thing Romita put her in. God bless him, but Romita Jr is the worst costume/clothes designer in comics lmao. Nigga still putting backwards baseball caps on Superman in 2015.

it was no hyperbole literally the jrjr-iest thing i've ever seen

"oh of course Romita jr thinks this is what people casually wear at home"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom