• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

like, Hellboy? Google tells me this was just the name of the animated film and didn't have a corresponding comic arc

Totally whiffed it in my tiredness.

Swords of Sorrow

Sorrow01-Cov-B-Frison.jpg

It's Gail Simones Dynamite event book. Want to know if the good reviews are her fans being her fans or if it it legit good. Her twitter fans are intense and like every single thing she does.

So I'm reading classic Fantastic 4 on MU, because why not.

So The Thing is super pissed ALL the time, and he randomly changes back to Ben Grimm at the most inopportune moments.

Dr. Doom's first story involves taking The Invisible Girl hostage, and forcing the others to go back in time so that they can steal Blackbeard's treasure, which contains Merlin's jewels that he can use to take over the world. In the process, it turns out The Thing (in disguise) starts the legend of Blackbeard.

There's a plot where the fantastic four go broke because Reed lost all their money in stock trading, so Namor buys a movie studio just for kicks, and decides to produce a movie about the fantastic four. The movie is just an excuse to embarrass them so he can get with Sue, but they beat him and make the movie anyway, thus recovering their money.

Totally whiffed it in my tiredness.

Swords of Sorrow

It's Gail Simones Dynamite event book. Want to know if the good reviews are her fans being her fans or if it it legit good. Her twitter fans are intense and like every single thing she does.

Makes me interested in what they got going on over at Dynamite, especially Green Hornet and Red Sonja

Boogiepop

Finally caught up. Spent the weekend and a bit before on being sick yet persevering and having a ton of fun at a con. Happy birthdays to all the birthday having people!

As a result of the convention and a few non-con related things coming in, I have a crapload of new figures right now that I need to figure out how to organize, as well. Got in Figma Conan and Sakura (and the imported versions of the two amiibo out this month, because I didn't want to deal with Best Buys "no preorder, no online" bs). And then I bought SS Trunks, Goku, and Vegeta from the Figuarts Zero line because they're awesome and seeing the Trunks reminded me of my childhood self never being able to find the Trunks with a sword that was advertised as being a part of the line with all those other DBZ figures... (And then of course I was like, well, I can't just get one, I need something to go with it, and if I'm grabbing two, I may as well get all three...) Oh, and a life-sized (AKA like 1 foot tall) Goomy plush, and a Dry Bones plush. Yup. Maaaaay have gone a tad overboard, I don't know.

BUT! Most importantly, I learned of Black Star and the Golden Bat this weekend. Why did nobody tell me of this before?! It's truly a thing of beauty.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

So The Thing is super pissed ALL the time, and he randomly changes back to Ben Grimm at the most inopportune moments.

Dr. Doom's first story involves taking The Invisible Girl hostage, and forcing the others to go back in time so that they can steal Blackbeard's treasure, which contains Merlin's jewels that he can use to take over the world. In the process, it turns out The Thing (in disguise) starts the legend of Blackbeard.

There's a plot where the fantastic four go broke because Reed lost all their money in stock trading, so Namor buys a movie studio just for kicks, and decides to produce a movie about the fantastic four. The movie is just an excuse to embarrass them so he can get with Sue, but they beat him and make the movie anyway, thus recovering their money.

So Namor has bought Fox?

frye

shocking-reveal.png

img_0986.jpg

that issue rules

Best Pryde
Only thing I genuinely don't like about Kitty is her costume. It's always been super basic and uninteresting. She's never had a good costume. In fact, her first costume was just one of the O5's costumes.

She should have been in the X-treme X-men. Then she could have gotten a real costume.
How can you hate something that's soft and fuzzy?
Nah man, Ghus is pretty fucking hardcore.
SHIT
Paging BKatastrophe

Caught up with the latest D.Gray-man and I'm just like

5wghxJj.jpg

The entire time as it was being explained I'm like "...wtf are you SAYING!?" because of my disbelief.

I've also read 10 volumes worth of this in two days and the mythos/lore in this series is just incredible. There are a lot of things to explore, and that whole deal with
the Heart having its own faction was surprising and very interesting direction to take the series.
Those
Apocryphos
remind me of Fullmetal Alchemist, and not just because the one looks like Shou Tucker. Well, I mean, besides that it takes place in 1900s Western Europe. lol

I have nothing against battle shonens, they're actually some of my favorite series, but I liked how this series moved away from that; it only really had one foot in that genre in the first place, but things are now structureless and unpredictable. Also, it somehow got even darker with the
Alma
storyline - that whole backstory was fucked up to the max.

Anyway, really happy with that last chapter. Not a lot of dialogue, but page-wise, it was about 3 monthly chapters long. I'd be ok with getting that length 4 times a year. I'm just glad it's back. I was happily reminded of why this has always been my favorite manga.

Yeah yeah yeah it was pretty sick. I really like this series, and though I think it starts out very much as your average battle shonen with a darker tone, it definitely comes into its own during the Edo arc.

The most recent chapter in particular is super wack, too. In particular because initially, I thought the whole bit with
the 14th was cliched. Like, of COURSE there's another Noah that no one knows about. And of COURSE he turned against the other Noah, and of COURSE the main character is this Noah. But then with the most recent developments and how it has played out, it ended up being a very cool and interesting plot thread. Though I'm still wondering how Cross Marian ties into this, exactly. Apparently, him and Allen were the only two people who could inherit the Will of the 14th. And I'm betting he wears the mask to hide the fact that he carries the exact same curse as Allen.

So, knowing all that, I have one question to ask you: Do you believe that
Cross Marian is dead?
My bet's on "No."

^KIPP MY DUDE
Hellboy: Conqueror Worm

Another fine tale from Mignola. BPRD spoiled the aftermath for me but the actual story was still great. Roger has quickly turned into one of my favorite characters and Lobster Johnson is the coolest damn dude ever. Kinda villain spoilers but
the worm itself was really terrifying. I think cosmic horror can be very creepy and Mignola knocked the whole design out of the park.

I'll probably start Strange Tales or whatever it's called tomorrow but I got some good reading in today between this and BPRD Plague of Frogs 1. So good.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Of course it was on clearance lol

Men's clearance is 50% off right now... I've bought like 5 things in the past week. I feel like I'm going crazy with all this spending. Granted, each item has been like $4-5, but still.

Classic fantastic four is insane amazing stuff. They're pissed at each other all the time, insane things happen every issue. It's nuts.

Tizoc

I love her Red Sonja but I think I will wait this out and buy the trades of it turns out well.

Is there any good Vampirella I could read?

Off the top of my head I recall that Mark Millar, Grant Morrison and/or Warren Ellis wrote Vampi stories.
Get any tpb written by them.

It's 60s comics just gotta roll with it :p
Besides it's among the essential Marvel comics history/runs to read since Kirby worked on 100 issues of F4 while with Marvel at the time.

ANOTHER ONE OF DR DOOM'S AMAZING 60s PLANS

So previously Dr doom was shot into space on a comet. In this one issue of f4 the story is interrupted by stan lee and jack Kirby in their office talking about how hard it is to think of a supervillain and wishing Dr doom was back. Doom BURSTS in an declares that he's back now. When asked how by Kirby and lee he says it doesn't matter and orders them to call mister fantastic so the story can start.

He knocks reed out and explains he returned after being rescued by aliens called the oviods whose secrets he's learned. He proceeds to then telepathically switch bodies with reed and tricks the f4 into locking doomreed in a glass prison.

So then one day sue opens reedoom's office to discover that there's a bunch of shrunken zoo animals. Reedoom explains his plan; the dinosaurs went extinct
because their bodies were too big for their brains, so naturally if he were to shrink the team members and then grow them back, they would be able to control their bodies better (his real plan is to shrink them until they disappear). The team is super excited about this.

His fool proof plan is foiled when doomreed returns, and Johnny tests them by making a heat mirage of a stick of dynamite from across the street. Reed tries to defuse it, doom tries to escape. Now discovered, he switches back to his body and gets hit by the shrink ray, supposedly fading into oblivion.

Messi

Vampirella Masters series Vol 1

Written by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar
art by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti. Wow.

Gonna get this.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ok Saga looks cool. I will be picking it up in the near future.

And I also see that's where that super cute little seal person is from.

Messi

Ok Saga looks cool. I will be picking it up in the near future.

And I also see that's where that super cute little seal person is from.

Enjoy. Such a fantastic series. The art in particular is amazing. I am waaaaay too invested in some of these characters now. A minorish character was killed recently where I am and it kind of ruined my day.

Lots of super cute stuff in saga. But Ghus is king

frye

So then one day sue opens reedoom's office to discover that there's a bunch of shrunken zoo animals. Reedoom explains his plan; the dinosaurs went extinct
because their bodies were too big for their brains, so naturally if he were to shrink the team members and then grow them back, they would be able to control their bodies better (his real plan is to shrink them until they disappear). The team is super excited about this.

Sue, Ben, and Johnny are basically complete idiots in the early FFs

real talk tho it basically takes them 3 years until Fantastic Four becomes "Fantastic Four" y'know? There are moments in the early stuff but it doesn't get consistently strong until the mid- to late 30s

What is this from?

Irredeemable

Messi

There ya go, just don't stare at the art too much, the dialog and story's gotta be just as enticing.

Irredeemable and Incorruptible by Mark Waid

What about me makes you believe that I need the story to be good to read something. I own all the trades and floppies of Nocenti Catwoman. Also Amanda Conners art could get me to overlook massive amounts of bad writing. That said I don't believe for a second the Morrison bit would be badly written, it might be incomprehensible to me but it won't be badly written. Millar could go either way.

Tizoc

What about me makes you believe that I need the story to be good to read something. I own all the trades and floppies of Nocenti Catwoman. Also Amanda Conners art could get me to overlook massive amounts of bad writing. That said I don't believe for a second the Morrison bit would be badly written, it might be incomprehensible to me but it won't be badly written. Millar could go either way.

Yeah that did seem out of line so apologize if it was rude or offensive.
However it's all due to how my view of comics over the years. I've read lots of comics over the years to the point that no amount of good art can save a book's writing. At the very least it turns into an artbook (Ultimates 3).

There are be books that have a great story and great art, but if the pacing and writing puts me to sleep, at the very least I'd recommend it if I've heard good things about it.

Messi

Yeah that did seem out of line so apologize if it was rude or offensive.
However it's all due to how my view of comics over the years. I've read lots of comics over the years to the point that no amount of good art can save a book's writing. At the very least it turns into an artbook (Ultimates 3).

There are be books that have a great story and great art, but if the pacing and writing puts me to sleep, at the very least I'd recommend it if I've heard good things about it.

The same goes for art for me. Art that does not appeal to me can destroy a book regardless of the writing. Sometimes I can power through but sometimes it is not worth it to me.

So previously Dr doom was shot into space on a comet. In this one issue of f4 the story is interrupted by stan lee and jack Kirby in their office talking about how hard it is to think of a supervillain and wishing Dr doom was back. Doom BURSTS in an declares that he's back now. When asked how by Kirby and lee he says it doesn't matter and orders them to call mister fantastic so the story can start.

He knocks reed out and explains he returned after being rescued by aliens called the oviods whose secrets he's learned. He proceeds to then telepathically switch bodies with reed and tricks the f4 into locking doomreed in a glass prison.

His fool proof plan is foiled when doomreed returns, and Johnny tests them by making a heat mirage of a stick of dynamite from across the street. Reed tries to defuse it, doom tries to escape. Now discovered, he switches back to his body and gets hit by the shrink ray, supposedly fading into oblivion.
It's so beautiful

Tizoc

The 60s were a hell of a time~

So I'm reading Avengers Vs X-men, about to read issue #3. So far this has been a poor choice as an entry point. It contextualizes the events but in really clunky (and at times with tongue in cheek) ways. The story itself so far is not good with the battle at Utopia being contrived and not even visually interesting. Some of the panels look so silly and one has to hold their brain back to not analyze the specifics of the battle. I certainly hope this isn't one of the better big events.

fertygo

So I'm reading Avengers Vs X-men, about to read issue #3. So far this has been a poor choice as an entry point. It contextualizes the events but in really clunky (and at times with tongue in cheek) ways. The story itself so far is not good with the battle at Utopia being contrived and not even visually interesting. Some of the panels look so silly and one has to hold their brain back to not analyze the specifics of the battle. I certainly hope this isn't one of the better big events.

Event is nothing but trash.

Zombine

Banned

Horrible event. Almost all the major events are bloated trash. A good entry point is something like Hawkeye by Fraction.

It's something new reader do by accident. They have the best intentions thinking that events are the closest thing to a Marvel film or they read them to prepare for potential future film plots and all that happens is they get more confused. Give us an idea of the sort of things you enjoy and we can give you s list better suited to your needs.

Messi

But events are mostly or depending on who you ask all terrible

Read some books last night,,
Cyborg #1 was pretty good. Not 100% sold but will buy next few issues.

Punisher #20 was pretty damn good imo. When Gerads is on his game, his art is awesome.

Zombine

Banned
Rocket league looks like i would be driving around a lot and never hitting that ball, is it easier than it looks?

No it has a learning curve. You'll probably knock the ball into your own goal more often than scoring. If you play on a good team the roles become pretty clear: striker, defender, ect.

On that note, what the hell is Image doing? They're just sitting on Fatale and Criminal and won't release some OHCs
in Fatale's case they won't release the second one

Someone at Image must have heard you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1632155036/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nameless and Shutter are coming too.

Good^^ I hope they are going to be released as a Deluxe...

And someone at DC heard you.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401261027/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom