• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Have you read Ultimate Spider-Man? It leads quite nicely into Miles' story but it is quite a commitment. The original run's about 140 issues. Most of ComicGAF would recommend it though.
Literally the last thing I can recall reading from Marvel is the odd issue of the first Secret Wars. I'm going in quite blind!

Nudull

Banned
So I'm reading Avengers Vs X-men, about to read issue #3. So far this has been a poor choice as an entry point. It contextualizes the events but in really clunky (and at times with tongue in cheek) ways. The story itself so far is not good with the battle at Utopia being contrived and not even visually interesting. Some of the panels look so silly and one has to hold their brain back to not analyze the specifics of the battle. I certainly hope this isn't one of the better big events.

AvX is pretty damn terrible, IMO. Most event comics don't elevate above average, but that book that one of the worst in recent memory.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woooo. Starting my new job today.
Also just put my schedules from both my jobs into Google Calendar and as it turns out I've still got tons of free time this week! Totally gonna be able to keep this comics train rolling. Hopefully I'll finish Sleeper in a few days. Gonna read a couple more issues right now, in fact.

Final Crisis, my dude. Strap those 4-d glasses to your face and get to reading.

Oh, I've definitely read Final Crisis. Two or three times, in fact. Love Final Crisis so much.
I guess technically that's an event, so yeah, I've read one event.

Bii

Woooo. Starting my new job today.
Also just put my schedules from both my jobs into Google Calendar and as it turns out I've still got tons of free time this week! Totally gonna be able to keep this comics train rolling. Hopefully I'll finish Sleeper in a few days. Gonna read a couple more issues right now, in fact.

I definitely need to use a calendar to keep my schedule in line at work but can't really imagine doing that for my personal life. I set up reminders here and there for upcoming events but not like how I have it at work. Haha

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I definitely need to use a calendar to keep my schedule in line at work but can't really imagine doing that for my personal life. I set up reminders here and there for upcoming events but not like how I have it at work. Haha

Yeah, I'd prefer to be working a set 9-5 Monday-Friday and have some consistency in my schedule, but what are you gonna do. That was one of the only positives about the desk job I was working, but the job itself wasn't worth the consistency in my schedule at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
where mah gket at?

Dd4WWuM.gif

Someone at Image must have heard you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1632155036/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nameless and Shutter are coming too.

And someone at DC heard you.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401261027/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So glad to see Fatale finally getting that second volume and the rest of the stuff has my interest as well.

DC needs to expand more on their OHC line

Infinite Crisis is having it's ten year anniversary at the end of the year, would be nice if they release a nice OHC like they did for Identity Crisis.

Edit: Woah nice iZombie Omnibus

So glad to see Fatale finally getting that second volume and the rest of the stuff has my interest as well.

DC needs to expand more on their OHC line

Infinite Crisis is having it's ten year anniversary at the end of the year, would be nice if they release a nice OHC like they did for Identity Crisis.

Yeah, what's the last series from DC to get an OHC? I always found it strange how few there are, and somehow Moz's B&R got one right off the bat.

Yeah, what's the last series from DC to get an OHC? I always found it strange how few there are, and somehow Moz's B&R got one right off the bat.

I don't know why but it seems like they are being extremely selective about the new52 stuff.

released
Dial H by China Miéville

upcoming
Green Arrow By Jeff Lemire
Swamp Thing By Scott Snyder
Flash By Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato

What they need
Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello
Action Comics by Grant Morrison
Batman Incorporated Vol 2
Batman in volumes Court of Owls, Death of the Family, Zero Year

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
a fuckton of old Star Wars issues added to MU to celebrate Star Wars (2015) #1 release

Welp tax kills most of these deals anyway lol

I don't know why but it seems like they are being extremely selective about the new52 stuff.

released
Dial H by China Miéville

upcoming
Green Arrow By Jeff Lemire
Swamp Thing By Scott Snyder
Flash By Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato

What they need
Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello
Action Comics by Grant Morrison
Batman Incorporated Vol 2
Batman in volumes Court of Owls, Death of the Family, Zero Year

I wasn't counting omnis, I was thinking smaller collections in OHC format.

Superman Unchained, then Dial H.

They gave Unchained an OHC? That's bogus

They gave Unchained an OHC? That's bogus

Yeah, Unchained was the most disappointed I've been with any DC comic for years.

Serves me right for getting excited for a comic with Jim Lee art, I guess. Snyder's QI narration was in full force as well. At one point, Superman just starts talking about whales or something in the middle of a disaster and I'm like "I'M DONE."

Yeah, Unchained was the most disappointed I've been with any DC comic for years.

Serves me right for getting excited for a comic with Jim Lee art, I guess. Snyder's QI narration was in full force as well. At one point, Superman just starts talking about whales or something in the middle of a disaster and I'm like "I'M DONE."

Perhaps not the biggest for me, but it was huge.

"Snyder and Lee? What could go wrong?"

The answer: everything.

thousandyardstare.jpeg

Well DC seems to only be releasing books of certain writer/artist runs for now, these books aren't given "Omnibus" title, but "Deluxe Edition" which is like their OHC.

Oops I thought I saw omnibus attached to the GA Lemire one. My mistake.

Still, I think perhaps Marvel/Image's got the best strat, OHCs cover 2-3 trades shortly after release. I wish Valiant would adopt this also.

Oops I thought I saw omnibus attached to the GA Lemire one. My mistake.

Still, I think perhaps Marvel/Image's got the best strat, OHCs cover 2-3 trades shortly after release. I wish Valiant would adopt this also.

You mean instead of OHCs years after release? But how would they sell their TPBs with pricing that may actually be worse than Marvel/DC then?

Wait, who are we talking about?

Valiant. All the trades I've seen for them tend to hover around the price per page you normally see from Marvel or DC, except they end up being even more expensive from IST because the discount off of cover price is smaller. And the hardcover stuff should speak for itself: I'm mostly joking because it seems like they've been painfully slow to get hardcovers out.

Valiant. All the trades I've seen for them tend to hover around the price per page you normally see from Marvel or DC, except they end up being even more expensive from IST because the discount off of cover price is smaller. And the hardcover stuff should speak for itself.

Err well hold on a second. List prices are fine for Valiant - $10 for the first trade, $15 for any subsequent unless it has more pages that what they usually collect (like Harbinger vol 5). The deluxes always cover 3 trades for $40, even if the previous 3 trades added up to $45 in paperback. I just checked and it's usually only a few (6 usually) months after the release of the last one. Image and Marvel actually usually only collect 2 trades in an OHC and price it at $35. It's just the 30% off from IST that might throw people off.

I guess my original comment was kind of dumb because they usually keep a good schedule, it just takes them longer to wait out the 3 trades. I just wish it were only released a month after the last trade.

U BETTA CHEK YOSELF B 4 U STEP 2 VALIANT SARAH

Messi

Err well hold on a second. List prices are fine for Valiant - $10 for the first trade, $15 for any subsequent unless it has more pages that what they usually collect (like Harbinger vol 5). The deluxes always cover 3 trades for $40, even if the previous 3 trades added up to $45 in paperback. I just checked and it's usually only a few (6 usually) months after the release of the last one. Image and Marvel actually usually only collect 2 trades in an OHC and price it at $35. It's just the 30% off from IST that might throw people off.

I guess my original comment was kind of dumb because they usually keep a good schedule, it just takes them longer to wait out the 3 trades. I just wish it were only released a month after the last trade.

Ice cold brah

Oh, the prices on the OHC are perfectly fine. Wasn't complaining about that. Hell, I even went and ordered a bunch of them within the last week to see what things were all about. It's actually where my comments are coming from. :p

And while it may be true that the Valiant OHCs collect 3 trades, I'm seeing a bunch of those trades only collecting 4 issues so that's a bit misleading, I think.

And now I'm confused. The first X-O Manowar hardcover was Nov 2013 at least according to Amazon and the second is a couple weeks from now, but only contains 8 X-O Manowar issues and 4 Unity. This seems to match with the 4th and 5th X-O Manowar trades + 1st Unity trade (all of which appear to have been out well over a year), but the 9th X-O Manowar trade comes out the same day.

I'm not looking for a fight. Sorry for being a bit, uh, careless in my remarks. :x

Edit: To be super clear, I'm mostly saying "I may be interested in buying these things, but the OHCs seem like vastly better deals than the trades so I wish they'd come out sooner."

Owzers

I bought the Valiant Humble Bundle and then never read any of it.

I did read the first volume of Harbinger, X-O Manowar, and sevenish issues of Archer and Armstrong previously with the latter being the best.

I can see what Sarah is saying. It is the number of issues in a trade as well.

Daredevil v1 ohc - 12 issues, $20 ($35 retail)
hawkeye v1 ohc - 12 issues, $20 ($35 retail)
Archer and Armstrong v1 deluxe - 14 issues, $28 ($40 retail)
Quantum and Woody v1 deluxe - 13 issues, $28 ($40 retail)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Until you realize you want more as part of the never ending flow of money from your wallet and/or bank accounts.
No, I have a Amazon checklist^^

40 OHCs are on it, most of the are way to expensive at this point that I would really buy them, so I have them there just to keep track.
Just a handfull of Must-Haves are on it - Extremis, Frank Miller Wolverine, Days of Future Past, Phoenix Saga, etc.

New ones are different, I tend to preorder everything I am interested in. Also I decided to upgrade a couple of series like All New X-Men from trades.

Fuck off Messi
<3

Oh, the prices on the OHC are perfectly fine. Wasn't complaining about that. Hell, I even went and ordered a bunch of them within the last week to see what things were all about. It's actually where my comments are coming from. :p

And while it may be true that the Valiant OHCs collect 3 trades, I'm seeing a bunch of those trades only collecting 4 issues so that's a bit misleading, I think.

And now I'm confused. The first X-O Manowar hardcover was Nov 2013 at least according to Amazon and the second is a couple weeks from now, but only contains 8 X-O Manowar issues and 4 Unity. This seems to match with the 4th and 5th X-O Manowar trades + 1st Unity trade (all of which appear to have been out well over a year), but the 9th X-O Manowar trade comes out the same day.

I'm not looking for a fight. Sorry for being a bit, uh, careless in my remarks. :x

Edit: To be super clear, I'm mostly saying "I may be interested in buying these things, but the OHCs seem like vastly better deals than the trades so I wish they'd come out sooner."

Ok I misunderstood your comments and I apologize. :(

Yeah, the weird thing is you sometimes get 5 issue trades at $10, but 4 issue trades for $15. I think its just marketing. After establishing the audience with the first trade, they can get away with some weird collections. Personally, I don't mind so much; what I miss in one trade, they'll make up for in another usually.

That said, there are some very specific oddities they do with the collections, and it's that they collect what you need to understand the story of a single series. Example, X-O OHC2 collects Unity 1-4 as well because they had a minievent that involved the two series. You won't have to go and pick up a Unity trade to understand it.

Since X-O is still their longest running series, it's hard to tell how they'll collection these things in the future. However, considering how much it involves Aric, I expect Armor Hunters 1-4 to be collected in OHC3.

I suspect this means we'll see OHC3 sooner than the next batch of OHCs (actually, I'm not sure what else would be in the next batch; maybe Archer and Armstrong). But yeah, the OHCs are incredible deals, even at only 30% from IST.

I can see what Sarah is saying. It is the number of issues in a trade as well.

Daredevil v1 ohc - 12 issues, $20 ($35 retail)
hawkeye v1 ohc - 12 issues, $20 ($35 retail)
Archer and Armstrong v1 deluxe - 14 issues, $28 ($40 retail)
Quantum and Woody v1 deluxe - 13 issues, $28 ($40 retail)

Yeah but you'll always find outliers in both labels, OHCs with less issues or more. It's not a fair comparison to cherrypick a few examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom