• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see what Sarah is saying. It is the number of issues in a trade as well.

Daredevil v1 ohc - 12 issues, $20 ($35 retail)
hawkeye v1 ohc - 12 issues, $20 ($35 retail)
Archer and Armstrong v1 deluxe - 14 issues, $28 ($40 retail)
Quantum and Woody v1 deluxe - 13 issues, $28 ($40 retail)

Sorry, counterexample to prove my point about cherrypicking:

Secret Wars HC, 9 issues - $25 ($50)
Armor Hunters Deluxe, 22 issues - $25.94 ($50)

We don't fight like we used to.

Probably for the best, really.

Just wait for the next reboot or crap OT thread and we'll be back at each others' throats, all of our character development forgotten like Cullen Bunn or Charles Soule took over writing the thread.

The second Thor by Aaron is quiete a bummer compared to the first one.

And Ribic is missed...

Russell Dauterman is pretty great on New Thor though.

You're not supposed to acknowledge that it exists. Especially to outsiders.

"I'm the last ComicGAFer left, Reed. I've learned not to take risks I don't have to."

Apology accepted if you accept my own for being overly aggressive!

Yeah but you'll always find outliers in both labels, OHCs with less issues or more.

True. I've looked at the weirdness that is the Fables OHCs, which includes at least one OHC that is actually the same as the trade except one of the middle issues from the trade was moved to a different OHC. Mostly I think I've been spoiled by Image and DH stuff.

Apology accepted if you accept my own for being overly aggressive!

True. I've looked at the weirdness that is the Fables OHCs, which includes at least one OHC that is actually the same as the trade except one of the middle issues from the trade was moved to a different OHC. Mostly I think I've been spoiled by Image and DH stuff.

Yep. A good collection is good regardless of label, I think. There are always collections that really goof up. I just really want to have them whenever I please.

This whole conversation has made me regret every Valiant TPB purchase I've made. The deluxes are so much better, the Armor Hunters Deluxe is insane. It cost me $40 for the 4 main trades and I'm missing the side tie-in stuff. Feels bad man. :(

Sorry, counterexample to prove my point about cherrypicking:

Secret Wars HC, 9 issues - $25 ($50)
Armor Hunters Deluxe, 22 issues - $25.94 ($50)

Possibly. I just picked out the two valiant books that were on my wishlist. Haven't looked too much into the other books.

openly discussing things like this...I'll have to bring this up with...The Board of Directors

Board of Directors?

RZCtgnb.png

So I'm reading Avengers Vs X-men, about to read issue #3. So far this has been a poor choice as an entry point. It contextualizes the events but in really clunky (and at times with tongue in cheek) ways. The story itself so far is not good with the battle at Utopia being contrived and not even visually interesting. Some of the panels look so silly and one has to hold their brain back to not analyze the specifics of the battle. I certainly hope this isn't one of the better big events.
It's terrible.
Fairest's first arc reminds me of Maleficent, i liked that movie, but the telling in Fables is pretty basic in the middle.
That movie is the epitome of mediocrity.
The thing that’s become really clear in the past few chapters is that I have no clue who I’m supposed to be cheering for.
The Order has its head up its own ass, and seems to be headed by the Heart, who has its own fucked ideas on how to do things; yet the Heart is the only one that can defeat the Noah (as it seems they’ll just keep reincarnating otherwise). The Mana wants to keep Nea alive because bro love, but Nea wants Mana dead to become the only half of the Earl; the Noah just follow the Earl, so whoever comes up on top is the one who leads them. So, yeah, especially considering Mana and Nea are two halves now who want completely different things, I just don’t know who I should be backing. I predict Nea might take advantage of Mana’s emotions and kill him, which would be ridiculous on so many levels because where does that leave Allen? Leading the Noahs?

As for Cross,
whether he’s alive or dead (my money is definitely on alive), we’ve not seen the last of him. I think the theory that he was also cursed by Mana is plausible and has some merit, but then that raises a couple of questions. First, why isn’t his hair white? What separates him from Allen where Allen started changing into Nea but Cross couldn’t? (though I think that one has to do with Allen himself; I recall a comment by Nea about how Allen was much younger than he remembered 35 years ago) Why did the Heart kill him? When did Mana have a chance to curse him? Also, not specifically related to Cross, but if Mana died, how was he there to turn himself into an Akuma?

On the topic of deaths,
I’m not a fan of those fake deaths that are supposed to play on your emotions, and Hoshino is definitely guilty of that during the Edo arc (Kanda/Krory), but I like that she’s been doing the fake outs with some real narrative/developmental purpose recently, especially Kanda. Where once I thought he was a trope, during the Alma arc and especially when he could have walked away but chose to come back to help Allen, I think he’s become one of the most well-developed characters in the series.

Lastly, the Bookmen are complete and total jobbers. lol

Lavi is not a jobber! You take that back!

Also, the reason
Allen's hair turned white wasn't due to the curse, it was due to the shock of the Akuma attack. The shock turned his hair white. The whole Mana thing is weird, and I'm sure it'll be explained.

It's terrible.

That movie is the epitome of mediocrity.

Lavi is not a jobber! You take that back!

Also, the reason
Allen's hair turned white wasn't due to the curse, it was due to the shock of the Akuma attack. The shock turned his hair white. The whole Mana thing is weird, and I'm sure it'll be explained.

Oops you're right, I remember now.

Dude Lavi's always been a jobber. Couldn't even legit
beat Road.
I feel bad cus I love him, but he hasn't even beaten a level 3+ Akuma. To his credit though, they've stressed how much of an outsider the Bookmen are supposed to be, so he's not really supposed to be a top-tier exorcist or anything.

CBTech

Oops you're right, I remember now.

Dude Lavi's always been a jobber. Couldn't even legit
beat Road.
I feel bad cus I love him, but he hasn't even beaten a level 3+ Akuma. To his credit though, they've stressed how much of an outsider the Bookmen are supposed to be, so he's not really supposed to be a top-tier exorcist or anything.

How is D.Gray-Man right now? I stopped reading it after it went monthly. The pacing went to all kinds of hell which turned me off from it. I really liked it before then. Has it picked back up?

How is D.Gray-Man right now? I stopped reading it after it went monthly. The pacing went to all kinds of hell which turned me off from it. I really liked it before then. Has it picked back up?

Oh man, you need to get on this. I dropped it after it went monthly, and I started catching up the last few weeks. It's gotten even better than it was. I'm pretty sure it reads better collected than month to month.

It just came back from hiatus, as well, with one hell of a chapter. It's doing quarterly releases, but they're about the size of 3 monthlies. Anyway, I think if the chapters are as impactful as this one was, the pacing will hold up in this format. I'm dying to read the next one.

omgkitty

Can anyone here recommend any good comic podcasts? I've tried listening to the Comic Vine podcast and Cape Crisis, but didn't really like either. I'd prefer something a little more well rounded (talks about everything, not just Marvel / DC) or possibly even something that doesn't talk about that stuff at all. I don't read a lot of the main big books, so listening to someone drone on about a big crossover event for 30 minutes doesn't really do it for me.

ReAxion

Can anyone here recommend any good comic podcasts? I've tried listening to the Comic Vine podcast and Cape Crisis, but didn't really like either. I'd prefer something a little more well rounded (talks about everything, not just Marvel / DC) or possibly even something that doesn't talk about that stuff at all. I don't read a lot of the main big books, so listening to someone drone on about a big crossover event for 30 minutes doesn't really do it for me.

http://sktchd.com/#podcasts

Off Panel is really good.

I think this might be my new favorite comic book cover.

I just burst out laughing when I saw it. It's so... extraordinary. I think even if people didn't know who the characters are they would laugh at the presentation.

Savitar

Can Geoff Johns go back to Teen Titans? I'll even let him rip a few characters' arms off.

Do we really need Superboy moaning and crying all about him being half Superman and Lex Luthor again.

That's essentially his whole thing in Johns Titans.

Even when he came back from the dead he again was mopping about it.

Shit got old beyond quick.

Owzers

oh wait hang on does that lap the entire series of mad men in the last twenty seconds of the season finale oh gee i can't remember

I've never seen Mad Men, it seemed depressing and full of alcohol. I am going to watch Bojack one day. Yesterday my netflix time went to These Final Hours, an australian "the apocalypse is coming and we are all going to die" movie. Was okay....probably should have watched Bojack.

Do we really need Superboy moaning and crying all about him being half Superman and Lex Luthor again.

That's essentially his whole thing in Johns Titans.

Even when he came back from the dead he again was mopping about it.

Shit got old beyond quick.

It didn't do that Young Justice cartoon much harm.

Also, didn't New 52 Superboy die or something?

Forget teen titans and let's get PAD back to Young Justice comic. That comic was so amazing. Everyone should read it. Fun, upbeat young heroes. And impulse was so amazing. Then Johns took him and made him dull :/

Hellboy and Kabuki picked and scanned. Waiting on Bloodshot OHC
Valiant is holding you back man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom