• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I decided to read stuff today in preparation for IST and DCBS orders. I have to decide if i like Sandman Overture before ordering #6 and Rat Queens for the OHC.

Started Rat Queens vol 1 tpb and it's quite enjoyable. I thought the premise was similar to Skullkickers but banter between the queens is better than the kickers duo had, plotting is still to be determined after two issues.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
amaid.gif

Started Hellboy: Wake the Devil and finished it in one sitting, can't remember the last time I did that. Anyways, it was great. I definitely preferred it over the first volume. You can tell Mignola is beginning to feel more comfortable with the series and him completely taking over on writing was a great move. It feels a little more natural than Byrne's scripting, especially with how Hellboy carries himself. You can tell this is Mignola's baby.

The sketchbook stuff with quotes by Mignola at the end is awesome too. Love how most of the captions were like "I don't know what this is, but I really like it!"

I dont know if this was posted before but here is a good look at Rucka's and Scott's upcoming Black Magick

The art looks great but I wish it either had more stark whites or was colored. The inkwash look is gorgeous but its not giving me enough contrast between figures/backgrounds.

Also, I know some people have mentioned digging it, but how come no one has actually been posting the art in Drifter? Holy shit I mean just look at this

BTW SKTCHD is an excellent website.

anyone read Alex and Ada? How is it?

I cant get into Luna brothers work myself but people who read it have liked it. I think Messi is a fan

I actually read comics

holy shit

So why is Battle Chasers a big deal?

Its a creator-owned series created at a time when Joe Mad was one of the biggest names in comics. It was one of the best-selling comics, but it averaged like two issues a year maybe? 16 months between issue #6 and #7. #9 came out in Sept. 2001, ended with a cliff-hanger and...nothing. Joe Mad went on to be a video game designer for stuff like Dungeon Runners and the Darksiders series.

So him coming back to the series after all these years is a combination of nostalgia(HEY I REMEMBER THAT COMIC) and novelty (LMAO IS IT REALLY COMING OUT!?).

Its the Duke Nukem Forever of comic books.

Zombine

Banned
holy shit

Its a creator-owned series created at a time when Joe Mad was one of the biggest names in comics. It was one of the best-selling comics, but it averaged like two issues a year maybe? 16 months between issue #6 and #7. #9 came out in Sept. 2001, ended with a cliff-hanger and...nothing. Joe Mad went on to be a video game designer for stuff like Dungeon Runners and the Darksiders series.

So him coming back to the series after all these years is a combination of nostalgia(HEY I REMEMBER THAT COMIC) and novelty (LMAO IS IT REALLY COMING OUT!?).

Its the Duke Nukem Forever of comic books.

I thought it had something to do with this:

And teenage boys.

Owzers

LMA to the Spurs, DeAndre Jordan to the Mavs. Things are interesting for next season

except in the Eastern Conference, that place needs to die.

LMA to the Spurs, DeAndre Jordan to the Mavs. Things are interesting for next season

except in the Eastern Conference, that place needs to die.
Wow the mavs actually got one of their sought after FA for once

Im a huge Joe Mad fanboy and I always hated that design, especially when his females were never known to have giant boobs like that, well, no more than the usual female superhero
I agree. She was the thing I disliked the most out of the series

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
one day ill try to understand some of you guys's hate for joe mad or similar artists (your Sandovals and whatnot). I can only assume its tied to this silly "fuck anime" movement going on the last few years (since those styles are very anime-esque, or cartoony). Maybe its just a age thing, and you werent around back then and grew up in a more "realistic" age? I dunno :/

hey to each its own, I can respect it even if it baffles me :)

edit: gket baby, fix that quote please, its making my ocd itch >_>

Zombine

Banned
one day ill try to understand some of you guys's hate for joe mad or similar artists (your Sandovals and whatnot). I can only assume its tied to this silly "fuck anime" movement going on the last few years (since those styles are very anime-esque, or cartoony). Maybe its just a age thing, and you werent around back then and grew up in a more "realistic" age? I dunno :/

I dunno dude I like Anime and Joe Mad...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

He'll always have a special place in my heart for The Circle Chase. Deadpool fanboy that I am.

Owzers

Finished Rat Queens vol 1, apparently when books are interesting I tend to read them quicker. I only have small gripes, mainly with some of the sequential action and towards the end
where Vi gets shot with an arrow through the neck, was that an arrow from the guards? I didn't see any orc archers.
Having read this and Southern bastards vol 1 I have to decide if i'm going to convert to OHCs or continue the paperbacks.

Rat Queens was a good combo of violent action and playful dialog between the four lead characters. I liked the way the characters interacted with each other more so than the characters themselves. Random 8/10.

fuuuuuuuck anime

Finaaaaaaaaaally getting somewhere with Daredevil Miller Vol.1 and it feels like a whole new world even after a few pages of Miller's first issue on sole writing duties. Also considering my first exposure to his art was TDKR and TDSA....maaaan Miller's art used to be great. imo.

So after this i have....the other 2 volumes, then 3 volumes of Bendis, then 3 volumes of Waid (i'm interested in Brubaker)....then 2 volumes of Uncanny X Force,...then Uncanny Avengers Omnibus...then Walt Simonson Orion Omnibus. The joys of reading comics.

Some of you may know what I'm talking about >_>

PsychBat!

Banned

Where did this come from?
Anyone take a peak at that Snyder thread. Shit's ridiculous.

I wouldn't really call Joe Mad's art very anime-ish. The hair on the Battle Chasers cover looks like it's from a 90s anime but that's about it tbh.

Being anime/manga inspired isn't even a bad thing in general though. It's not like everything looks like moe anime or shoujo manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom