• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Ross61

I pretty much dislike everything about Harley Quinn, from her back story, to her aesthetic, to how she went from a bit player villain to front and center in the DC universe. She does nothing for me.

And even I recognize how huge she is. DC isn't shoehorning her into everything to "make her work." They're just giving people what they want. They said she was the fourth pillar during the Rebirth announcement. I'd argue that she's actually their second pillar now, right behind Batman.

Any success that Suicide Squad has should be credited to her popularity and morbid curiosity about Leto Joker. Nobody outside of comic book fans knows a single other character on that team. Harley will put butts in seats. It's up to Warner Bros to do the rest.
I agree with a lot of that, but I think due to Batman:TAS, JL, and Arrow people might know Killer Croc and Deadshot. I'd also argue that the diverse cast with actors like Will Smith and Viola Davis helps it too.

Messi

I pretty much dislike everything about Harley Quinn, from her back story, to her aesthetic, to how she went from a bit player villain to front and center in the DC universe. She does nothing for me.

And even I recognize how huge she is. DC isn't shoehorning her into everything to "make her work." They're just giving people what they want. They said she was the fourth pillar during the Rebirth announcement. I'd argue that she's actually their second pillar now, right behind Batman.

Any success that Suicide Squad has should be credited to her popularity and morbid curiosity about Leto Joker. Nobody outside of comic book fans knows a single other character on that team. Harley will put butts in seats. It's up to Warner Bros to do the rest.

I agree with 100& of this except I love Harley. I didn't want to get killed in here for saying she is the 2nd pillar. But comic's wise at the very least she is easily #2.

All my friends who are excited for SS are really excited for Harley and Joker. They don't know who the rest of the team are. I suspect its like that for most non comic people.

Boogiepop

Got my Deadly Class Dlx HC and Time Runs Out HC from IST. Deadly Class is alot bigger than I expected, which isnt a bad thing at all. But why did they do an oversized version for this and not East of West year one or either Lazarus books?

Is there a collected edition of Johns JSA run on Comixology and is Grayson vol. 3 part of the BOGO?

Seriously, it really caught me off guard. Was expecting something closer to the size of my one Manhattan Projects HC from Image, but this was really close to the size of the Kabuki Library Edition that came in the same box. Far, far bigger than I was expecting.

Messi

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. Loved her in TAS, liked her a lot during Knightfall, and that's it. Nothing else has clicked.

She is essentially a new character at this point. She has very few ties to TAS character tbh.

Joelle Jones is amazing. Fantastic pickup.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i only know her from TAS so i'm a fan

i hope she's good in SS (and that leto's joker isn't shitty)

i'd love to see WB start churning out female led movies with Harley, Batgirl, etc

TheFlow

Banned
Rich is reporting that DC is killing off
Tim Drake
. Please remember that this is Rich/Bleedingcool and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Lol he is not dying in detective. This is for batman beyond so terry can take back over. This is not affecting any book but beyond. So irrelevant news for the majority of people

Edit: how is drake the weak link of detective o_O. He is the smartest one on the team who runs the computers.

Messi

No, he said non-TAS.

pls understand

giphy.gif

I agree with 100& of this except I love Harley. I didn't want to get killed in here for saying she is the 2nd pillar. But comic's wise at the very least she is easily #2.

All my friends who are excited for SS are really excited for Harley and Joker. They don't know who the rest of the team are. I suspect its like that for most non comic people.

Comics continue feeding into the movie and TV properties, so it's only a matter of time. I'd say if Warner Bros released both a Harley solo film and another Superman film in the next few years, the former would have a lot more hype surrounding it.

DC is stacked with good artists

Who they will continue to stretch thin with double shipping and leave us with jarring, dodgy art from fill in artists. By the time we reach Batman #13, we're going to have Greg Land tracing Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

Messi

Comics continue feeding into the movie and TV properties, so it's only a matter of time. I'd say if Warner Bros released both a Harley solo film and another Superman film in the next few years, the former would have a lot more hype surrounding it.

Who they will continue to stretch thin with double shipping and leave us with jarring, dodgy art from fill in artists. By the time we reach Batman #13, we're going to have Greg Land tracing Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

Well there was that rumor of a Harley and the birds of prey film or something to that effect. You would have Harley front and center in that. Especially if people love Margot which they seem to.

Yeah I can see that, not gonna lie part of me likes it. But wth is up with the rollerblades, and that face,, who the f*@k has roller blades anymore.

I think he was trying to come up with a mechanized Batman that looks like the suit was salvaged from scrap. And in that, I think it was a success. It definitely has some neat elements that makes it pretty unique in comparison to other pieces in the line. Zombie Batman was also really cool.

Sandfox

So I'm guessing the Black Panther news will hit in 30 minutes during the Marvel Now panel. It's sounding like a book to me, but we'll see.

Vibranium

Banned
Holy shit, how can you botch The Killing Joke this badly? Alan Moore has good reason to be grumpy and pissed at DC all the time it seems. I feel like reading my copy of it again...geez Bruce Timm.

I'm still watching for Mark Hamill too, the man is the Joker, hopefully he's given a better script there to work with.

Top Bottom