• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

I'm thinking about jumping into the Valiant universe. Is there a specific chronology of the books?

There kind of is, but everything is self-contained, too. I'll link a comprehensive list, but it's totally up to you what you partake in and don't based on your preferences. I advise staying away from Shadowman and the first Bloodshot series; they're not bad, but historically they give people a bad first impression. It's something you'll get a better appreciation of if you've experienced the universe a bit first.

Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, Ivar, and The Valiant are the ones I recommend people start with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valiant/wiki/readingorder

Meh. I'd rather buy physical books for trades.

but but...

ok.

Boogiepop

Screw Venom!

Valiant Collections Sale!

The deluxe editions are tremendous value.

Oh damn, I'll need to look through that later and figure out what I have already and what I need to grab from that. But I guess that'll be a story for tomorrow. But yeah, that's going to be nasty to my wallet, especially after all those big comixology sales we just had...

Edit: Is that sale comprehensive enough to get me mostly caught up on the Valiant stuff if I want to do so?

Messi

FREEZA EXPLAIN THIS. I JUST SEEN IT POP UP ON COMIXOLOGY. OMG GONNA BUY IT ANYWAY SOPHIE CAMPBELL!

407339._SX312_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Hopefully it probably has kissing in it.

Owzers

Man, tonights speech got better towards the end but i am a bit disappointed Hillary isn't in prison. I guess there's still time...

Ross61

There kind of is, but everything is self-contained, too. I'll link a comprehensive list, but it's totally up to you what you partake in and don't based on your preferences. I advise staying away from Shadowman and the first Bloodshot series; they're not bad, but historically they give people a bad first impression. It's something you'll get a better appreciation of if you've experienced the universe a bit first.

Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, Ivar, and The Valiant are the ones I recommend people start with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valiant/wiki/readingorder

but but...

ok.

Is X-O Manowar good?

FREEZA EXPLAIN THIS. I JUST SEEN IT POP UP ON COMIXOLOGY. OMG GONNA BUY IT ANYWAY SOPHIE CAMPBELL!

Hopefully it probably has kissing in it.

Oh yeah, I was going to mention that earlier. I wasn't sure if that was new or just the digital version of a reprint or something. I know she had a bunch of art for that on her old site before she switched to tumblr.

VanWinkle

Screw Venom!

Valiant Collections Sale!

The deluxe editions are tremendous value.

ARGH

I want the physical versions so much more...ARGH. In. Will buy Harbringer and Archer and Armstrong deluxes. Would buy more (specifically Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, and Harbringer Wars) but don't have enough money.

Edit: Nevermind. I just don't want digital versions of these. I DID just buy XO-Manowar Deluxe on Amazon instead, though. I want to start getting their deluxe editions so I will do so slowly.

Dusknoir

I saw that CMX put Sins Past up on sale.... So I'm guessing Marvel's putting up most of Amazing Spider-Man on CMX no matter the quality. Just have to wait for a sale to dive in.

Is X-O Manowar good?

Quite, and it gets progressively better. It's their flagship title, though it is ending soon sadly. Probably worth noting that the Armor Hunters event is part of that story. It takes place concurrently with vol 7.

ARGH

I want the physical versions so much more...ARGH. In. Will buy Harbringer and Archer and Armstrong deluxes. Would buy more (specifically Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, and Harbringer Wars) but don't have enough money.

Good choices. :)

For Harbinger Wars, you should just get the single trade. It happens concurrently with the third part of the Harbinger deluxe, but the HW deluxe duplicates issues from other collections (Harbinger and Bloodshot deluxe).

VanWinkle

Quite, and it gets progressively better. It's their flagship title, though it is ending soon sadly. Probably worth noting that the Armor Hunters event is part of that story. It takes place concurrently with vol 7.

Good choices. :)

For Harbinger Wars, you should just get the single trade. It happens concurrently with the third part of the Harbinger deluxe, but the HW deluxe duplicates issues from other collections (Harbinger and Bloodshot deluxe).

I changed my mind lol. I'm getting Archer and Armstrong because apparently it's out of print, but I really want to just get physical versions. I just bought the physical version of XO-Manowar on Amazon.

Boogiepop

It should be. Tell me which ones you're looking to catch up on and I'll help you out.

I'm going to have to look how expensive it is once I take out the stuff I already picked up here and there, but I was thinking of essentially going all in. That's what I'd been planning to do, but I was honestly expecting to do it series by series as they popped up on sale, but oh well. So I guess I'll just need a general list of what's the good stuff from current continuity, or however that works. Well, assuming it all is worth getting, and none/not much of it is straight up bad or anything.

What's the reading order for that section for people who read in singles?

I'm going to have to look how expensive it is once I take out the stuff I already picked up here and there, but I was thinking of essentially going all in. That's what I'd been planning to do, but I was honestly expecting to do it series by series as they popped up on sale, but oh well. So I guess I'll just need a general list of what's the good stuff from current continuity, or however that works. Well, assuming it all is worth getting, and none/not much of it is straight up bad or anything.

Well, I can list the stuff on sale that isn't completed...

Bloodshot Reborn
Rai
Imperium (the last volume is not out)
Ninjak
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
XO Manowar

The only thing I've heard is straight up bad is Dead Drop. And the only thing that's not new continuity that's on sale is the old Quantum & Woody by Christopher Priest.

I would stay away from (until you've gotten knee deep into the universe):
Shadowman
Eternal Warrior (pre-Wrath)
Bloodshot (pre-Reborn)
Imperium (until you finish Harbinger)

It's really just a massive amount of content in this sale, so I'd go series by series starting with what you're most interested in, picking up a little bit of each. Or, if you're sure you want to go in balls deep, add one series' books to your cart at a time to make sure you get everything.

What's the reading order for that section for people who read in singles?

Bolded is the only actually necessary stuff. The tie-ins are good, but they just tell side stories.

Armor Hunters #1
Unity #8
X-O Manowar #26
Armor Hunters #2

Unity #9
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #1
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #1
X-O Manowar #27
Armor Hunters #3

Unity #10
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #2
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #2
X-O Manowar #28
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #3
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #3
Unity #11
Armor Hunters #4
X-O Manowar #29*

Armor Hunters: Aftermath #1

Source: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/armor-hunters/4045-58023/

Speaking of Valiant I might pick up that Britannia book when it comes out. Sounds kind of cool.

I am very excited for that book. I mean, it's Milligan in 2016, but the concept is cool.

Boogiepop

Well, I can list the stuff on sale that isn't completed...

Bloodshot Reborn
Rai
Imperium (the last volume is not out)
Ninjak
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
XO Manowar

The only thing I've heard is straight up bad is Dead Drop. And the only thing that's not new continuity that's on sale is the old Quantum & Woody by Christopher Priest.

I would stay away from (until you've gotten knee deep into the universe):
Shadowman
Eternal Warrior (pre-Wrath)
Bloodshot (pre-Reborn)
Imperium (until you finish Harbinger)

It's really just a massive amount of content in this sale, so I'd go series by series starting with what you're most interested in, picking up a little bit of each. Or, if you're sure you want to go in balls deep, add one series' books to your cart at a time to make sure you get everything.

Bolded is the only actually necessary stuff. The tie-ins are good, but they just tell side stories.

Armor Hunters #1
Unity #8
X-O Manowar #26
Armor Hunters #2

Unity #9
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #1
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #1
X-O Manowar #27
Armor Hunters #3

Unity #10
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #2
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #2
X-O Manowar #28
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #3
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #3
Unity #11
Armor Hunters #4
X-O Manowar #29*

Armor Hunters: Aftermath #1

Source: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/armor-hunters/4045-58023/

I am very excited for that book. I mean, it's Milligan in 2016, but the concept is cool.
Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a look over tomorrow, and see what I end up with. But yeah, admittedly due to the hype (outside of the joking around of course) I've seen here and there in these threads for the Valiant stuff, I'm willing to go in pretty heavy. But since I've already spent a decent bit recently on digital comics, I'll have to weigh out the costs and see how it goes.

lol ok, I figured I could make this a little simpler. I'll add in the series that have crossovers and require additional purchases lol

Harbinger
Harbinger Vol 1
Harbinger Vol 2
Harbinger Vol 3 & Harbinger Wars (optional: + Bloodshot Vol 3)
Harbinger Vol 4
Harbinger Vol 5
Harbinger Vol 6

XO Manowar
XO Manowar Vol 1
XO Manowar Vol 2
XO Manowar Vol 3
XO Manowar Vol 4
XO Manowar Vol 5 & Unity Vol 1
XO Manowar Vol 6
XO Manowar Vol 7 & Armor Hunters (optional: + Unity Vol 3, Armor Hunters: Harbinger, Armor Hunters: Bloodshot)
XO Manowar Vol 8
XO Manowar Vol 9
XO Manowar Vol 10

The other events like Book of Death and The Valiant are mostly standalone. I would say, at most, The Valiant is a sequel to Vol 2 of Archer & Armstrong (and barely), and BoD is a sequel to The Valiant. The tie-ins for BoD are all one-shots and superfluous, though they are amazing.

Ross61

Omega Men got so emotionally heavy near the end. And the ending was just a gut punch. I really is one of the best comics in the past decade. I hope Barnaby Bagenda gets more work. His paneling was top notch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have a huge backlog of multiple ANAD issues of the same books so I thought "surely there's some Vision issue there I havent read yet"

Nope...last issue released is still issue #3.

frustrated.gif

A coworker gave me some of his old comics, I read Spider-Man: Wrath of the Spider-Clan first because it looked like the worst of the lot (other titles were the first 3 volumes of Starman, Mesmo Delivery, and Red Mass for Mars).

I was right. It was awful. Marvel Mangaverse was a mistaaaaaaaaake.

Starman is proving p. dope tho.

frye

Huh, I wonder why it has so few books on it then. My guess is that Marvel doesn't put a very high priority on it.

Well, for one, it's really only for Marvel exclusive writers, so the pool of creators is already artificially diminished. People thought Icon was supposed to be Marvel's Vertigo competitor but in retrospect it was always more of an incentive for people to sign exclusively with Marvel than anything else. As for specific reasons why there aren't more creators, I dunno how it was for other people but Brubaker has talked about how he wasn't free to do a bunch of Criminal and had to do x amount of Captain America comics before he could do his own stuff, so that might be part of it. And from Marvel's perspective, there's barely any money in it since it pretty much all goes to the creators.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Well, for one, it's really only for Marvel exclusive writers, so the pool of creators is already artificially diminished. People thought Icon was supposed to be Marvel's Vertigo competitor but in retrospect it was always more of an incentive for people to sign exclusively with Marvel than anything else. As for specific reasons why there aren't more creators, I dunno how it was for other people but Brubaker has talked about how he wasn't free to do a bunch of Criminal and had to do x amount of Captain America comics before he could do his own stuff, so that might be part of it. And from Marvel's perspective, there's barely any money in it since it pretty much all goes to the creators.

That last bit is probably a huge part of it. For all the praise and recognition Image books get, they still aren't that big of a market share. Less than 10% if Diamond's numbers are at all accurate. Unless that number starts interfering with their bottom line more there's not much reason to make it a bigger part of their business model.

VanWinkle

A coworker gave me some of his old comics, I read Spider-Man: Wrath of the Spider-Clan first because it looked like the worst of the lot (other titles were the first 3 volumes of Starman, Mesmo Delivery, and Red Mass for Mars).

I was right. It was awful. Marvel Mangaverse was a mistaaaaaaaaake.

Starman is proving p. dope tho.

They aren't the first three Starman omnibi, are they?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Detective Comics was so good--still waiting for King to pick up the pace though with his book. I'm probably done with Action Comics.

As an aside I've bought the first Vol. of Justice League Dark and am really enjoying it so far. Been meaning to get into it but kept putting it off. Magic has always been my favorite 'corner' of the DC universe.

As an aside I've bought the first Vol. of Justice League Dark and am really enjoying it so far. Been meaning to get into it but kept putting it off. Magic has always been my favorite 'corner' of the DC universe.

Stop after volume three, Death of Magic. Milligan and Lemiere do god's work. DeMatteis' run not so bueno.

Dalek

I can't believe how awesome Detective Comics is right now. Pure Batman awesomeness.

Also Totally Awesome Hulk was great this week. As well as Chiosing Sides.

Civil War 2: Gods of War #2
I realize I should have read the Hercules run before this, because I didn't feel the first issue, but I dug this one. This'll be fun.

Civil War 2 #4
Can we just chat about this for a bit? Just a wee bit? I have some opinions that need sharing.

So I can see why Carol might be behaving a bit more aggressive and irrational and over the top on this. Considering that at this point: her boyfriend's dead, so she's obviously in a very emotional state and has been the entire time. Because of Thanos, her boyfriend was murdered and one of her best friends was rendered comatose. Then her best friend wakes up, and she has to say, "your cousin was murdered by a close ally who was tried and deemed innocent." So now, both situations were technically correct: Thanos was about to get a Cosmic Cube and Banner was about to go Hulk. So despite both situations going out of control (She didn't contain Thanos as well as she wanted to and Clint killed Banner completely out of nowhere and most certainly not under her orders) and winding up with close allies and friends either dead or hurt intensively (even Clint's image and personal relationships are heavily damaged and he certainly feels and believes he is guilty based on the fact that he turned himself in) she's thinking, "but we were right though."

So now Stark approaches everyone with the exact nature of Ulysses' powers and they all look at her going, "well maybe this is a bad idea." Of course, she's massively on edge. At this point she's on a tight rope: on the one hand a murderer, on the other a savior. So what does she do? Doubles down. If she has total control of a scenario, then nothing can go wrong and since Ulysses has been technically right so far, all she has to do is contain the unknowns. Then no one will see her as the bad guy, because everything will go exactly according to plan without a hitch. No one ever gets murdered or hurt unless absolutely necessary. Explains why she goes so far with the banker. Then Tony, her biggest detractor shows up with the guns at her door, and she's retaliating in force. It doesn't seem so far-fetched at that point. It may seem that way due to her working with SHIELD, but she wasn't a part of Pleasant Hill. No one on any of her teams or any of her closest friends were a part of it. What does she care? At this point she probably thinks it's a good idea.

Here's my problem with the issue: the idea that any mutant is on her side, unless it's Old Man Logan, is baffling. They know how fucked and malleable time can be. Fucking Canle, Rachel Summers, and the O5 are running the fuck around right now. Oh, and Tempus saved the planet about eight months ago. You know, a mutant. But it's especially baffling if it's JEAN GREY OR MAGIK. And people can say "Bendis continuity hurrhurr" in relation to Magik who is currently dealing with destiny problems --
Sapna is predicted to go evil and wipe out the world using demons
. But Jean?! Bendis wrote the Trial of Jean Grey for fucks' sake! A story where she literally goes "fuck the future! I'm the future now! You genocidal fucks!" Why is she on Carol's side!?

Regardless it was a good issue. Good event so far. Staying strong. How many issues is it supposed to be? 6 seems too short. 7? 8?

Top Bottom