• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

American Vampire. His work on that book is simply stunning. Snyder and Albuquerque tore shit up on that book.

I'll give it a try. Snyder is hit and miss with me but I heard a lot of great things about American Vampire.

The Flash #3: Wow, that cliffhanger had me laughing my ass off.
Godspeed
, really? What a hilarious name for a Flash villain. Other than that this title is the perfect definition of mediocre. I'm starting to like the art (maybe Stockholm syndrome?) and the story is okay but incredibly generic so far. I might drop the book after this arc if it doesn't improve. 2/5

Predator vs Judge Dredd vs Aliens #1: Just bought it on a whim as I enjoyed the few Dredd comics I've read over the years and I liked the Glenn Fabry cover. Good artwork but very weak story that took some unnecessarily weird turns instead of focusing on what the name promised. I don't care about Manimal and his crew, where are the damn Aliens? I give it a 2/5 and that's mostly thanks to Archbishop
Emoji

Hellblazer Rebirth: What the hell was that? DC really has no idea what to do with Constantine. The only Rebirth title so far that I have dropped before the actual first issue. And was that a Hobbit hole? 1/5

I also want to mention the amazing Godzilla: Half-Century War by James Stokoe that I finished a few days ago. The dialogs can be pretty weak but the overall story is interesting and chronicles a japanese soldier's battles against Godzilla over 50 years. The art is some of the best I've seen in years, so energetic and powerful:
gojira2-1333156553.jpg

tumblr_nb0wnu4WN31qld9yio4_1280.jpg

godzilla34.jpg
Give this a look if you enjoy Kaiju movies. Next for me is Godzilla in Hell.

Dusknoir

I'll give it a try. Snyder is hit and miss with me but I heard a lot of great things about American Vampire.

Godspeed
, really? What a hilarious name for a Flash villain. Other than that this title is the perfect definition of mediocre. I'm starting to like the art (maybe Stockholm syndrome?) and the story is okay but incredibly generic so far. I might drop the book after this arc if it doesn't improve. 2/5

I don't know if it's because I like Jojo but that name is amazing for a Flash villain. You take that back.

I also want to mention the amazing Godzilla: Half-Century War by James Stokoe that I finished a few days ago. The dialogs can be pretty weak but the overall story is interesting and chronicles a japanese soldier's battles against Godzilla over 50 years. The art is some of the best I've seen in years, so energetic and powerful:

Stokoe is amazing. He also did the first issue of Godzilla in Hell.

I don't know if it's because I like Jojo but that name is amazing for a Flash villain. You take that back.

I'm not quite sure yet if I love it or hate it. If his personnality and origin story are appropriately ridiculous and over the top, he could be great! It was just such a weird character reveal on the last page of a fairly dull issue.

Dusknoir

I'm not quite sure yet if I love it or hate it. If his personnality and origin story are appropriately ridiculous and over the top, he could be great! It was just such a weird character reveal on the last page of a fairly dull issue.

Yea if his origin wasn't super crazy or really good than his name is wasted. I was hoping he would be like Carnage.

Edit: Suicide Squad preview is up.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/suicide-squad-rebirth-1-dc-comics-2016

They made Waller fat again. Thanks to the movies.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #3 - Spencer has continued adding new wrinkles to this with each issue, and it's getting pretty interesting.
It seems like the war for control of Hydra is going to be between Red Skull and Steve, not Red Skull and Zemo. I'm not 100% clear what Steve's immediate goals are based on how the issue ended, but the philosophical divide is a key point that is eventually going to boil over. I like this idea that "Hydra Cap" is not as simple as we may have expected. Everyone was so caught up on how/why he was Hydra, we hadn't really considered the possibilities for what him being Hydra could actually mean.

Zombine

Banned

Godspeed

Predator vs Judge Dredd vs Aliens #1: Just bought it on a whim as I enjoyed the few Dredd comics I've read over the years and I liked the Glenn Fabry cover. Good artwork but very weak story that took some unnecessarily weird turns instead of focusing on what the name promised. I don't care about Manimal and his crew, where are the damn Aliens? I give it a 2/5 and that's mostly thanks to Archbishop
Emoji

Hellblazer Rebirth: What the hell was that? DC really has no idea what to do with Constantine. The only Rebirth title so far that I have dropped before the actual first issue. And was that a Hobbit hole? 1/5

Give this a look if you enjoy Kaiju movies. Next for me is Godzilla in Hell.

Yeah man, Stokoe is legit. Loved his issue of Godzilla In Hell as well.

Civil War 2: Choosing Sides #2
So coming off of the mostly solid first issue, this one is boring. The War Machine story was fine, just being a series of characters affected by Rhodey's death. America cares about this Rhodey even though others are still alove, I guess. Monica is upset with herself. Misty's is my favorite, being that it's basically a "seize the day" type of story. Storm's is weird. It doesn't feel like Storm. The dialogue is stilted and...I dunno. Didn't sit well. After the War Machine story we get Goliath. No idea what even happened there. And then there's Nick Fury, which was whatever. Nothing happened there.
She talked the President from a stance of :Suicide Squad is finished" to getting another member in about 5 panels?
Good. Mean's she's still got it.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #3 - Spencer has continued adding new wrinkles to this with each issue, and it's getting pretty interesting.
It seems like the war for control of Hydra is going to be between Red Skull and Steve, not Red Skull and Zemo. I'm not 100% clear what Steve's immediate goals are based on how the issue ended, but the philosophical divide is a key point that is eventually going to boil over. I like this idea that "Hydra Cap" is not as simple as we may have expected. Everyone was so caught up on how/why he was Hydra, we hadn't really considered the possibilities for what him being Hydra could actually mean.

I'm glad I'm not the only one not sure how to interpret the ending.

Dexter Soy's art in Red Hood #1 looked way better than his Cap Marvel days (prob the colors). Issue wasn't that bad but still can't fuck with Lobdell's writing. It's like he's smirking in every line he writes

Batgirl #1 was okay but I don't think I'll keep up on it. As wack as the writing was in the previous run, it at least had a cool style going for it

Messi

Nice of them to give us half of Jim Lee's rebirth suicide squad pages in the preview. Love Amanda Conners variant too. Love her Harley.

My goodness that logo is trash. Just use the movie logo and get it over with.

don't you EVER besmirch the name of Beasts of Burden like that, Jill Thompson wouldn't be caught dead working a Valiant comic

anyway, I just read it, and just like I plugged a year or two ago, its the richest, funniest, most accessible, beautiful single issue comic you'll read all year. Peak comics. I pray to the God of All Comics Grant Morrison that the next one doesn't take two more years to come out

Messi

don't you EVER besmirch the name of Beasts of Burden like that, Jill Thompson wouldn't be caught dead working a Valiant comic

Look at the publisher linked on CBR lol

--

Oh and BTW I was reading some rebut books today. What's with All Star Batman being listed in rebirth checklists and having rebirth branding in solo ads. That means it's $2.99 right guys??

Ross61

Nice of them to give us half of Jim Lee's rebirth suicide squad pages in the preview. Love Amanda Conners variant too. Love her Harley.

My goodness that logo is trash. Just use the movie logo and get it over with.

I actually think that was Phillip Tan in the preview. The backups don't start till issue #1.

All current on Giant Days. That book feels too good for this world, we don't deserve it.

Almost caught up on Archie and Jughead too. Is any of DC Rebirth worth reading?

Messi

I was like... I just finished batman and Robin Eternal and it was really great. Moved onto Detective rebirth and was like this us awesome and it feels like a continuation of that story. I didn't realize James Tynion IV wrote both or outlined the larger story ect. That dude is talented .

I was like... I just finished batman and Robin Eternal and it was really great. Moved onto Detective rebirth and was like this us awesome and it feels like a continuation of that story. I didn't realize James Tynion IV wrote both. That dude is talented .

He's very much a fan of the Batfamily. He was a good choice for Tec.

JTripper

My comic shop gave me 20% off for catching a Pokemon in the store so I finally used a $50 certificate that's been burning a hole in my pocket since December and got B&R Eternal Vol. 2 and Road to No Man's Land Vol. 2. Now I have the entire No Man's Land arc including Cataclysm and Aftershock.

Now to actually read No Man's Land, which I embarrassingly never have.

Top Bottom