• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Many Marvel characters used to be bad guys. Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Rogue, Emma Frost, Elektra, the Vision...they've been long reformed periods for Juggernaut, Black Cat, Red Hulk, Sandman, Taskmaster, Red Hood, even Loki for awhile.

Lets be real, Wolverine has killed way more people than Magneto, canon wise, and he set up a school to teach children

Being a bad guy isn't the same as being Magneto. This is a racist, genocidal maniac. Guy was always fucking around with nukes, and did a massive EMP attack that would have resulted in many thousands of innocent deaths. And that's just the stuff I know about. There's a ton of X-Men I've never read.

frye

Being a bad guy isn't the same as being Magneto. This is a racist, genocidal maniac. Guy was always fucking around with nukes, and did a massive EMP attack that would have resulted in many thousands of innocent deaths. And that's just the stuff I know about. There's a ton of X-Men I've never read.

uhhh excuse me according to Marvel that was Xorn who was Totally Not Magneto

I think Magneto is much more interesting as somebody who goes in-between the realms of "good" and "evil" than a cackling silver age bad guy. His motivations are rooted in the very real fear that government and society at large is working to destroy mutantkind, and if he has to rise up violently to protect his people he will. It comes out of his background as a Jew during the Holocaust, who saw first hand how fear and hatred can turn into genocide against his race.

and I mean currently he's on a squad with straight up super murderers Mystique and Sabretooth and ninja assassin Psylocke, so "he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

Storm: Raise your hand if you’ve never gone through a stage that others characterized as “mainly super villain”.

tumblr_m3p7uaILFM1qm2nq2o1_500.png

He's never been just a straight up good person, but he's always fought for a good cause. And others agree with his mentality and hus way of thinking (hit them first and don't ever trust them). It's why he's basically leading X-Force and pretty much everyone except Monet and Creed disapprove of his methods.

I don't think anyone's ever just been okay with Mags there, but in a time where mutants are few and getting fewer, he's a necessary evil.
I think Magneto is much more interesting as somebody who goes in-between the realms of "good" and "evil" than a cackling silver age bad guy. His motivations are rooted in the very real fear that government and society at large is working to destroy mutantkind, and if he has to rise up violently to protect his people he will. It comes out of his background as a Jew during the Holocaust, who saw first hand how fear and hatred can turn into genocide against his race.

and I mean currently he's on a squad with straight up super murderers Mystique and Sabretooth and ninja assassin Psylocke, so "he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

Storm: Raise your hand if you’ve never gone through a stage that others characterized as “mainly super villain”.

tumblr_m3p7uaILFM1qm2nq2o1_500.png
This is a good post

^That's another big thing, post-House of M, intelligent powerhouse mutants willingly to stand together for a greater cause are few and far between, so we really just gotta work together and find some kind of compromise. Doesn't do mutantkind any good to lock Magneto up in some plastic cell somewhere.

I was thisclose to adding $135 worth of Valiant comics to my Comixology cart. I went to look up a definitive reading order, and one of the results said to try a Scribd trial. Lo and behold, everything is on there.

Thanks, Google.

i still really love rebirth

hal jordan was such a great read, realizing, FINALLY, that it's happening in the same world and the same time as something like Batgirl.

DC didn't used to feel that way

I just think there's a world of difference between "killer" and "genocidal".

Some things you don't ever get to add words like "reformed" or "justified" in front of.

That's just some big shark-jumping stuff for me, and it keeps me away from X-Men comics. There isn't anything I'm able to do to not have that in the back of my mind. I've tried.

But hey, Marvel doesn't care about the X-Men anymore either, so it's a good relationship we have.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I was thisclose to adding $135 worth of Valiant comics to my Comixology cart. I went to look up a definitive reading order, and one of the results said to try a Scribd trial. Lo and behold, everything is on there.

Thanks, Google.

Yeah, it's kind of amazing. I read basically all of valiant that was out until that point for $8 (I went a few weeks over the month trial, but didn't mind, it was worth the money)

I followed you on Twitter

Thanks, Google.
Yeah just about everything from them is on there. They also have IDW and some other pubs too. It's a good service.

Zombine

Banned
Many Marvel characters used to be bad guys. Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Rogue, Emma Frost, Elektra, the Vision...they've been long reformed periods for Juggernaut, Black Cat, Red Hulk, Sandman, Taskmaster, Red Hood, even Loki for awhile.

Lets be real, Wolverine has killed way more people than Magneto, canon wise, and he set up a school to teach children

I mean...Sandman and wtf is that other guys name...Rage or whatever...they were reserve avengers.

I almost made a thread about how literally anyone can be an Avenger, but I decided against it. Their background checks are about as good as a gun dealer in Texas.

I just think there's a world of difference between "killer" and "genocidal".

I think Magneto has been many things, including a mass murderer, a revolutionary/terrorist, a racist(or at very least a spiciest), but I disagree that he's ever been genocidal. I dont really think there's a lot of evidence of him ever really being genocidal, or wishing to destroy all humans, in the way that US declaring war against Britain or Germany or Japan didnt mean they were for the "systematic, planned annihilation of an ethnic, racial, or political group"

I mean...Sandman and wtf is that other guys name...Rage or whatever...they were reserve avengers.

I almost made a thread about how literally anyone can be an Avenger, but I decided against it. Their background checks are about as good as a gun dealer in Texas.

There's a much larger thing somebody wrote a few years ago about how meaningless the Avenger name has become, basically just synonymous with "I'm a Marvel Universe character". Superhero, supervillian, power, no powers, we'll take you if you sign up! West Coast Avengers, Dark Avengers, Young Avengers, Old Avengers, New Avengers, All-New All Different Avengers, Avengers Prime, Avengers Alpha, Mighty Avengers, Cosmic Avengers, blah blah blah

I think Magneto has been many things, including a mass murderer, a revolutionary/terrorist, a racist(or at very least a spiciest), but I disagree that he's ever been genocidal. I dont really think there's a lot of evidence of him ever really being genocidal, or wishing to destroy all humans, in the way that US declaring war against Britain or Germany or Japan didnt mean they were for the "systematic, planned annihilation of an ethnic, racial, or political group"
I suppose I agree with that. But I still think he's on a whole other level from a guy who's like "yeah, I'll kill some people if it comes to that".

There's a much larger thing somebody wrote a few years ago about how meaningless the Avenger name has become, basically just synonymous with "I'm a Marvel Universe character". Superhero, supervillian, power, no powers, we'll take you if you sign up! West Coast Avengers, Dark Avengers, Young Avengers, Old Avengers, New Avengers, All-New All Different Avengers, Avengers Prime, Avengers Alpha, Mighty Avengers, Cosmic Avengers, blah blah blah

Maybe that's why we are getting Champions. All the kids are bored of that name.

Hagi

Since it's also Simone's birthday she's getting some art from fans and friends. Here's Walter Geovani's present:

Edit: The Seeley issues(#17 to the end where the Rebirth team does the final issue)have been pretty great. Wish he would keep doing the book in Rebirth.

New 52 wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either. It was decent fun for the first few volumes and then quickly dropped off. I dropped New Suicide Squad after the first arc.. It was just not good.

All I know is that I'm not picking it up.

Hmm I'll I think I'll give the new one a chance. I'm pretty hyped for the film.

It's dumb that everyone is totally cool having a one of history's greatest terrorists chilling on their couch.

So what you are saying is he should be the new Iron Man

JC why is Shadow Warrior an open world loot and shoot now?

because the publisher promised to fund a sequel, but only if they went down the whole AAA Western gaming checklist to make it broadly appealing

-focus on online multiplayer? Check
-A larger focus on shooting people in the face? Check
-superfluous loot and RPG elements to water down the game with? Check
-Open world, proceduraly generated level design thats all the rage these days? Check

I await the season pass announcement

Sou Da

because the publisher promised to fund a sequel, but only if they went down the whole AAA Western gaming checklist to make it broadly appealing

-focus on online multiplayer? Check
-A larger focus on shooting people in the face? Check
-superfluous loot and RPG elements to water down the game with? Check
-Open world, proceduraly generated level design thats all the rage these days? Check

I await the season pass announcement
Lol and I remember when I first saw it and pointed the flying numbers, everyone said that plenty of shooters had that and it was gonna be fine.

Now I'm watching a dude pick up a plus 15% armor piercing jewel for his blue rarity uzis.

I suppose I agree with that. But I still think he's on a whole other level from a guy who's like "yeah, I'll kill some people if it comes to that".
Most of his major terroristic acts were retaliatory. He was basically a supervillain until the Dark Phoenix saga and then after that he became the grey character we know today. The biggest act I can think of, which was the whole Planet X business, was in retaliation to Genosha being completely obliterated (an actual genocide orchestrated by Cassandra Nova). Even then he was high on Sublime, whi was another mutant. House of M wasn't orchestrated by him. That was Pietro via Wanda. Assassinating Senator Kelly during Days of Future Past was when Mystique was in charge of the Brotherhood.

Magneto's done heinous shit, but compared to most other villains, he's pretty okay. Most of the really evil shit associated with him isn't even him (unless you count Ultimatum, but that was garbage so don't). I'd say he's an anti-villain, if anything.

Fatal Attractions was the big thing I was referring to. That's a global attack where countless innocent people died.

But still, I think it's a mistake to only hold him accountable for his successes. Just because he's been stopped by the heroes doesn't mean he hasn't attempted some very horrific things.

There's just no question in my mind that he's far beyond redemption. There's no scenario where it becomes okay to team up with that guy unless it's treated like Clarice Starling working with Hannibal Lecter.

I really want to trust you guys about Detective Comics, but I think every Tynion comic I've ever read was a fill-in issue or annual that I got by accident during a sale, and not one of them was good.

Betty and Veronica was the most disappointing book of the month and fans should be mad at that rather than a cover.

legitimately the worst single issue comic from a major published I read all month, and I've read a Sam Humperies GL comic. Just the most vapid, clunky, phony, wrongheaded damn thing. Something that got greenlit because Adam Hughes could draw nice figures, not because had even a facsimile of a compelling story, or a semblance of knowledge of how teenage characters sound

Top Bottom