• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

MG310

Slott is one of those ones where I like his work well enough but following him on Twitter is exhausting because he engages with every nutjob that @'s him.

Boogiepop

Okay, so can someone (presumably Launchpad) help me out with this Valiant sale on comixology. Looking things over, here's what I have: Harbinger Deluxe Edition Vol. #1, Eternal Warrior vol. #2, Harbinger Wars, Rai Vol. #1-3, and issues #1-4 of Faith. I also have in print the first volume of Bloodshot (which was okayish IIRC), Shadowman (which I found kind of not very good), and Quantum and Woody and Archer & Armstrong (neither of which I've read yet). Though with those print ones I wouldn't be opposed to getting the series in digital if need be as well just to consolidate everything, though it'd of course be lower priority.

So yeah, with that in mind, what should I be looking to grab if I want to catch up on the current Valiant universe, with maximum cost efficiency? Would really appreciate a little help.
Any help with this? If not I guess I can just start doing the research and math to figure out what's what, but a little assistance certainly wouldn't hurt...

Owzers

I can't get into Stranger Things at all, episode two isn't making me any more invested. Everything about the sister could be cut so far from the series.

My favorite creators that I follow on Twitter are:
Steve Lieber
Erica Henderson
Annie Wu
Ryan North

And a new follow but I like Leslie Hung too

Is there a good modern straight-forward romance comic out there?

I want something as good as Sunstone, without the BDSM stuff.

Not that I don't love the BDSM stuff, but I want something without it too.

Is there a good modern straight-forward romance comic out there?

I want something as good as Sunstone, without the BDSM stuff.

Not that I don't love the BDSM stuff, but I want something without it too.

Love & Rockets is mostly slice of life but it has a good amount of romance.

5000KM Per Second was really good.

You Are Here is like a great romcom. Can't recommend it enough. It is not on Comixology unfortunately.

VanWinkle

Really enjoying the Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus. But I'm not HOOKED on it, and I am kind of wanting to read something else now, but I'm only a little over a quarter into it. That happens a lot for me on huge ~1000 page books when I'm not just LOVING ever second of it. Going to try to keep at it, though, because it really is great.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Nick Spencer is also kinda insufferable on Twitter too. Had to unfollow him a while back.

It can get a little tiring when he yells at people, but his political insight can still be interesting.

Chip Zdarsky is one of the funniest people on Twitter.

Very much agree. I like when he jumps in on conversations that started without him.

My favorite creators that I follow on Twitter are:
Steve Lieber
Erica Henderson
Annie Wu
Ryan North

And a new follow but I like Leslie Hung too

I'd add:
Andy Khouri (DC editor)
Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (they're best as a combo)
Scott Snyder

I can't get into Stranger Things at all, episode two isn't making me any more invested. Everything about the sister could be cut so far from the series.

I just heard a podcast describe that show like this:

The adults are in an 80s Steven Spielberg movie, the kids are in an 80s Steven King novel and the teenagers are in an 80s John Carpenter movie.

Without the sister, you lose a third of the nostalgia perfection triangle.

TheFlow

Banned
Really enjoying the Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus. But I'm not HOOKED on it, and I am kind of wanting to read something else now, but I'm only a little over a quarter into it. That happens a lot for me on huge ~1000 page books when I'm not just LOVING ever second of it. Going to try to keep at it, though, because it really is great.
I liked Peter Parker ultimate spider man, but miles morales ultimate spider man was such a great read.

VanWinkle

Man, I wish DC would hurry and announce a Batman by Snyder/Capullo omnibus. Will go down as one of the greatest omnis of ALL TIME. Over 50 issues by the SAME artist and writer combo, both of them incredible at their craft? I salivate at the thought.

I liked Peter Parker ultimate spider man, but miles morales ultimate spider man was such a great read.

I've heard great things. It's hard for me to get into really massive runs like that though, with tons of trade paperback volumes.

Messi

Man, I wish DC would hurry and announce a Batman by Snyder/Capullo omnibus. Will go down as one of the greatest omnis of ALL TIME. Over 50 issues by the SAME artist and writer combo, both of them incredible at their craft? I salivate at the thought.

I've heard great things. It's hard for me to get into really massive runs like that though, with tons of trade paperback volumes.

Capullo is only credited on 46 issues tho 😜

I was going to check out SiP back in the day, but the description I heard of the non-slice-of-life elements made me think maybe I wouldn't be into it.

Messi

I was going to check out SiP back in the day, but the description I heard of the non-slice-of-life elements made me think maybe I wouldn't be into it.

It's not purely slice of life but the other elements add to it and make you care more for the characters. I suppose it is slice of life as it it's their lives and the shit katchoo is tied up in.

Great series

--

I have a question about Detective Comics, Action comics and rebirth as a whole.
Do Batwoman and Mags remember each other ? Did their relationship even happen. Kate mentions a girl she is casually seeing (it's not Maggie) and I can't see any mention of Mags dating anyone

Capullo is only credited on 46 issues tho 😜

The inconsistency kills the series for me. Absolutely disgusting.

It's not purely slice of life but the other elements add to it and make you care more for the characters. I suppose it is slice of life as it it's their lives and the shit katchoo is tied up in.

Great series

--

Do Batwoman and Mags remember each other ? Did their relationship even happen. Kate mentions a girl she is casually seeing (it's not Maggie) and I can't see any mention of Mags dating anyone

To answer your question, I would wait and see what shakes loose as the story progresses.
There's bound to be more Kate-centric arcs in the future.

You really should read it. The vast majority of the book is slice-of-life. I know what these non-slice-of-life plot elements are, and it's not something you should let dissuade you from reading it. The focus is definitely on the slice-of-life story, but as with real life, there are also outside factors that influence your personal life. So to does this happen to these characters.

Every indication I've seen alludes to that specific sub-plot having been effectively DiDio'd.

Messi

You really should read it. The vast majority of the book is slice-of-life. I know what these non-slice-of-life plot elements are, and it's not something you should let dissuade you from reading it. The focus is definitely on the slice-of-life story, but as with real life, there are also outside factors that influence your personal life. So to does this happen to these characters.

Every indication I've seen alludes to that specific sub-plot having been effectively DiDio'd.

Agree on your first point.

On the answer to my question. If true I'm done with these books. It's insulting.

Agree on your first point.

On the answer to my question. If true I'm done with these books. It's insulting.

Actually, thinking about it some more, the answer should be yes.
Everything that happened in the New 52 still happened. They've not erased any of that... yet. It's up to the writers to bring up parts of that in the future.

Messi

Actually, thinking about it some more, the answer should be yes.
Everything that happened in the New 52 still happened. They've not erased any of that... yet. It's up to the writers to bring up parts of that in the future.

Unless they were told not to bring some touchy stuff forward.

--

Did Ottley leave invincible?? Why is some artist on Twitter showing art from invincible that's not by Ottley?

Messi

I know they're not referring to it as a reboot, but between New 52 and Rebirth, there's definitely some fuckery going on with that specific storyline. #BlameDiDio

To be blunt. I'm ok if they want to break them up and go a different direction. But you need to show that. You don't get to just ignore that and go another direction with no explanation given the fuckery that happened . I feel very passionately about this.

Messi

Isn't that the kind of shit that Rebirth is about going against, though?

Sure and here we have the first hurdle and they ran right into it.

A page or two into the first issue we get this throwaway line and from what I've read after nothing more.

hjEpSQF.jpg

So Kate is sleeping with someone else. We know this much.

I guess this is the explanation we will get.mi just want to know if they broke up badly , if they are still on speaking terms etc. I don't think it's too much to ask.

VanWinkle

Sure and here we have the first hurdle and they ran right into it.

A page or two into the first issue we get this throwaway line and from what I've read after nothing more.

So Kate is sleeping with someone else. We know this much.

I guess this is the explanation we will get.mi just want to know if they broke up badly , if they are still on speaking terms etc. I don't think it's too much to ask.

Get on the Rachele bandwagon, messi.

Top Bottom