• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

not there anymore

This was it:

skm6vtR.png

Messi

What did we do to him :(

This is like that time David LaFuente blocked me on Twitter and I have no idea why. I randomly went to tweet him some praise and he already had me blocked lol

I don't how gaf even got on his radar tbh.

Well, this was where the Civil War II spoilers got posted first.

EDIT: Speaking of, did anyone read Axel's interview where he briefly touched on spoilers/leaks?

Zach Dionne: Shifting gears: How does it feel when stories like major deaths and developments show up online before people can even buy the issue? It's happened at least a few times with Civil War II already.

Alonso: We can't control...this is an industry in which there will always be predatory sites who are able to use the system to their advantage. They're able to find people, in certain cases retailers, who are willing to turn over information that's not yet public and post it. That's the world in which we live right now. The creators spend a lot of time working on an idea and they'd like to have at least some semblance of control about the way that it's told to the world. By going to a larger media outlet, and a strategic media outlet, we can get the right bang for our buck, get the right message out and control the message. There's instances where that's taken out of our hands, and a lot of people applaud those outlets like they've done them a favor, when it's actually hurting the market and it's mean-spirited because it hurts the creators. No one resents that more than the creators. And I hope I'm clear and I hope this gets into the article, 'cause it's a bad thing.

PsychBat!

Banned
I have a feeling if I make a tweet saying that I'm unfollowing Dan Slott, he's gonna make a snide remark saying that he'll block me.

It sounds believable right?

Like ten years ago, I got second place in that "Pull My Thing" campaign he ran to try to drum up support for his Thing series when it was facing cancelation. He sent signed books and stuff. Cool dude.

Looking back, that was probably not ethical, since I was reviewing for IGN at the time.

It's okay, there's no "IGN" in the word "ethical."
A lot of people have come and gone from their comics site, and I haven't had any involvement since 2008, so I can't speak for most of them from the current group. But Jesse Schedeen is still there there from my time, and he's a good dude.

There was a guy that worked for their comics site a little after my time, named Dan Phillips, and he straight-up told me that he wasn't even watching the TV shows he was reviewing.

Free is still too expensive for Valiant books imo.

Putting everything up on Scribd is a fairly brilliant way to get me to read all of it in the next thirty days for free. Always consumer minded, those Valiant folks. Why did they go under again?

X-O Manowar issue #9, here we go.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Slott sounds like a regular Ryan Steggman. I mean all I did was show genuine concern for his well being last year and he and his friends attacked me for no reason whatsoever.

There was a guy that worked for their comics site a little after my time, named Dan Phillips, and he straight-up told me that he wasn't even watching the TV shows he was reviewing.

Pros

• Some well-timed humor
  • Interesting characters
  • Left me intrigued

Cons
  • Questionable protagonist motivation
  • Uneven pacing

Rinse and fucking repeat.

Axel Alonso: "I hate when people spoil our stories, except for when we spoil our stories. Then it's great."
I can see his perspective, but there's no winning that fight.

When the Civil War II #3 spoilers hit the internet, there was a lot of context missing that informed the way people took the news. In a case like that, where a plot development is clearly going to be "a thing", I think what Marvel tries to do is embrace the inevitability of it and get out ahead of it in a way that does a better job of contextualizing the spoilers than the cynical a-hole leakers do.

But the problem there is that internet people aren't sitting there and reading these articles Marvel supports, and they aren't absorbing that additional context. No matter what into Marvel puts out there, the reaction is going to be knee-jerk dismissal or outrage based on headlines and hearsay. There is no avoiding that.

Why can't comic characters be powerful and sexy?
They can be. But sexy and sexualized aren't necessarily the same thing.

Jessica Drew drawn by Javier Rodriguez is the sexiest thing in any comic ever, but never sexualized.

Those Zenescope comics are sexualized, but not sexy at all.

Yanick Paquette Catwoman from Batman Inc. is sexualized and sexy.

Plus, context matters.

If it's a pin-up, sex it up all you want, and I don't think it matters if it's necessarily appropriate to the character or l not. I love that stuff. Some of my favorite art.

But if I'm reading a somber issue of New Avengers from the Bendis area, where Carol Danvers is standing at a funeral with her ass hanging out of her Ms. Marvel costume, and the panel composition is focused on that, that's fucking stupid.

Top Bottom