• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Imagine an X-Men book, but instead of being about the shitty O5 and their quest for a payoff on whatever Bendis was thinking that one time or being shit or not living up to its very cool lineup, it's got good characters and it's good and also it looks good.

That's Astonishing X-Men.

Ha I can actually see what Benis was trying to do with the 05 and I think there was a story to be told in there, but they should have gone home at the end of the Bendis run, instead of hangng around taking story space from other xmen/school students.

Damn it, now I'm hyped to read it, why do I do this to myself, once your an x fan I guess your stuck with it through the lean years as well as the good.

Owzers

Where is my image sale? My free month of MU is almost over, still ahead of where gwenpool would be on MU so I'm not that eager to drop $60 on a sub, not sure if I can while still subbed.

mreddie

This cover makes so much sense now, Sharon just got added to it

CAPSTEVE2016019-pre-1-1.jpg

I feel like everyone gets a turn with X-Men. A lot of people here really enjoyed Bendis' run, especially early. And I hated it. I love this new stuff, though. I don't think it's simply a matter of quality in either case. It's what you want from an X-book. Having said that, I do think Generation X and Gold are objectively bad, while I enjoy Blue, Jean, and Bobby's books.

Aizo

Banned
Order #3
The Omega Men
Green Lanterns Vol. 1
Doom Patrol Vol. 1
Gotham Academy Vol. 3
Gotham Academy: Second Semester #1-10
Superman #1-25
Wonder Woman #1-25
Detective Comics #10-25
Flintstones #3-12
All-Star Batman #4-11
Shade the Changing Girl #1-10
Mother Panic #1-8
New 52 Batwoman Vol. 1-4
Deathstroke #6-21
Teen Titans #1-9
Titans #1-12
Super Sons #3-5
Elmur Fudd/Batman

Is this what self-destructive behavior looks like? Is this a result of me getting punched in the face tonight? I'm not sure. That's future Aizo's problem now!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I feel like everyone gets a turn with X-Men. A lot of people here really enjoyed Bendis' run, especially early. And I hated it. I love this new stuff, though. I don't think it's simply a matter of quality in either case. It's what you want from an X-book. Having said that, I do think Generation X and Gold are objectively bad, while I enjoy Blue, Jean, and Bobby's books.
Thats what always surprises me when I nowadays hear people here talking about that run...

Unit24

Reading the last few pages of this thread is reminding me why I've been enjoying indie comics so much lately.

On that note, I just finished Chew and it was great. I kind of wish I had gotten the omnivore editions instead of the volumes, but it's too late now.

Messi

I loved all of it and I would take it over all the shit after it. You all know you would too. He works with top notch artists and Kris Anka.

Read the first issue of the ongoing Doom Patrol and... Liked it maybe? Same reaction I had to the first issue of Shade... What did I just read?

Wanderer5

So how is Mother Panic? I-

“Teens who love gritty Batman Stories will find plenty to like in this latest Gotham City Vigilante…Violet’s bitterness, long-buried secrets, and tightrope walk between bravery and recklessness make this a nice fit for fans of Greg Rucka’s Batwoman: Elegy.” —BOOKLIST

"fans of Greg Rucka’s Batwoman: Elegy"

Well that is a trigger lol.

”Teens who love gritty Batman Stories will find plenty to like in this latest Gotham City Vigilante...Violet's bitterness, long-buried secrets, and tightrope walk between bravery and recklessness make this a nice fit for fans of Greg Rucka's Batwoman: Elegy." —BOOKLIST

"fans of Greg Rucka's Batwoman: Elegy"

The main character is bisexual. That's where the comparisons start and end.

It's not a bad book, but that comment is just LOL.

I haven't finished the first volume of Mother Panic but really liked the 3 issues I read. Most of it might be Tommy Lee Edwards art although I did like the writing to this point.

Read the first issue of the ongoing Doom Patrol and... Liked it maybe? Same reaction I had to the first issue of Shade... What did I just read?

I actually read the first issue of the new doom patrol and wasnt really into it, but came back to it later on at the end of the first arc and read the other issues and I'm loving it now. Think the first issues just not the best entry point but once all the crazy story ideas start to make more sense and fit together theres some really cool ideas there. So yeah definitely stick with it if you can.

Aizo

Banned

“Teens who love gritty Batman Stories will find plenty to like in this latest Gotham City Vigilante…Violet’s bitterness, long-buried secrets, and tightrope walk between bravery and recklessness make this a nice fit for fans of Greg Rucka’s Batwoman: Elegy.” —BOOKLIST

Aren't triggers typically negative? You hated Elegy?

Not sure if this will help or hurt your desire to read on, but this run seems to heavily benefit from multiple reads. There's so many small details and forgettable flashes of characters that are completely forgotten but the main story of the first arc comes around with a lot of the small flashes being a big part going into the next issue. I'd say it all makes sense by the end, it's just hard to follow without rereading.

It's good. Not the best of the YA line (Doom Patrol and Shade), but it's a very 90s Vertigo styled book in Gotham. Worth checking out though.

Top Bottom