• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hey comicGAF, is Gotham Central worth reading?
Most definitely. It's fantastic.

Does one need a solid knowledge of gotham and whats going on in this universe? Because that's what I don't have. I'm slowly getting back into comics after haven't read anything last few years. (Reading Hawkguy and Waids Daredevil atm, loving both). I'm kind of afraid of diving into those massive franchise like Green Lantern or Batman, so I'm staying in the terretory of manageable runs.

Nope. You really don't need to know anything other than the basic premise of Batman being a vigilante. There are a couple small moments that might reference outside stories, but they're explained within the book.

Viewt

So I just finished Batman/Superman.
Based on the costumes, it seems like this is going to cross over with the Bats and Supes from Earth-2? Tuxedo Batman and the Superman on the cover to #2 would certainly suggest that's the case.

Jae Lee's an artist I'm kind of split on. On one hand, he's unbelievably talented and his layouts are really inspired. But his characters always end looking so... beautifully delicate might be the right way to put it. I dunno, it's not really the way I see Superman or Batman.

Avengers Arena:

That was actually a rather sweet and touching issue. I think I....actually like Hazmat as a character now, which I thought would never happen. I think I'm going off Cammi now though, she's a bit of a bitch, albeit she's being realistic given the kids' plight. Can't wait for the next issue.

kswiston

Avengers Arena:

That was actually a rather sweet and touching issue. I think I....actually like Hazmat as a character now, which I thought would never happen. I think I'm going off Cammi now though, she's a bit of a bitch, albeit she's being realistic given the kids' plight. Can't wait for the next issue.

I was expecting this week's issue to be the one we got that spoilerish preview to, but I guess that is the next issue. Looking forward to where things are going.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I was expecting this week's issue to be the one we got that spoilerish preview to, but I guess that is the next issue. Looking forward to where things are going.

I was confused about that, thought those pages would be somewhere around the end.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Panel of the week

icRY5jrvK3XcH.jpg

Hell yes it is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like Kitty's response to
Alex M-word speech
in All New X-Men. Bendis did a good job with this issue.

Pizza Dog was awesome.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can I just say that Talon is very good. I mean that it's very well written, it's always easy and fun to read. My only problem with this book right now is the art. Tynion is a good writer, he's going to be a big name soon, and he deserves a much better artist on this book than he is getting. The art just lets down the story telling in this book. Talon really does deserve better.

J-Rock

Banned
So what was Mark Waid's reasons for leaving Boom Studios and go back to freelancing?

I've heard a few reasons. One of them was to explore digital comics and create www.Thrillbent.com.

Can I just say that Talon is very good. I mean that it's very well written, it's always easy and fun to read. My only problem with this book right now is the art. Tynion is a good writer, he's going to be a big name soon,

Can't be said enough. 2014 will be a big year for him.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Can I just say that Talon is very good. I mean that it's very well written, it's always easy and fun to read. My only problem with this book right now is the art. Tynion is a good writer, he's going to be a big name soon, and he deserves a much better artist on this book than he is getting. The art just lets down the story telling in this book. Talon really does deserve better.

I haven't read the new issue yet but March was so much better than the new artist. I wonder if Snyder can find any other hidden gems among his students.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I love the premise for All-New X-Men but I've only read the first issue. Fuck that forced-eugenics-loving, Heaven's Gate motherfucker.

The preview for this issue was the first three pages, and not at all spoilerish. The preview of the next issue was a spoilerton.

I love the premise for All-New X-Men but I've only read the first issue. Fuck that forced-eugenics-loving, Heaven's Gate motherfucker.

I daresay All-New is the flagship X-men book, now. Uncanny has had its moments, but All-New is pretty consistent in quality.

Seriously. I hadn't read any Daredevil in my life until a couple of months ago. Now I'm caught up on the Waid run, and I've also plowed through the Bendis and Brubaker runs.

Brubaker's run was stellar...my favorite DD since Frank Miller. Brubaker also destroyed it on his Captain America run, so I'm not surprised. Dude is talented.

Jae Lee's an artist I'm kind of split on. On one hand, he's unbelievably talented and his layouts are really inspired. But his characters always end looking so... beautifully delicate might be the right way to put it. I dunno, it's not really the way I see Superman or Batman.

I agree so much with this. There's something about his art that is beautiful but feels off to me. I'm not saying it's wrong or bad, it just feels off to me for some reason.

Lazarus is just one issue in and I am enthralled. If you have the issue, and you haven't read those six pages of prose at the end ("because words") I encourage you to go back and do so. Greg and Michael are into something amazing here that's just barely scratched the surface, and I already want to be there every step of the way.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, Stryfe, shit basically Eugenics = Big Bad Guy

Pfft... He's showing those guys how it's done. Even Magneto has admitted that Cyclops is on some next-level ish.

fallingdove

Hey GAF - having just finished Daredevil : End of Days and working through Dark Nights, I need me some more. I can't believe the Ben Affleck movie kept me away for as long as it has. I think that DD might be my new favorite superhero. - reccomend me some more.

I see that Bendis wrote for DD for a while and the Frank Miller stuff is supposed to be good. Where should I go next?

Hey GAF - having just finished Daredevil : End of Days and working through Dark Nights, I need me some more. I can't believe the Ben Affleck movie kept me away for as long as it has. I think that DD might be my new favorite superhero. - reccomend me some more.

I see that Bendis wrote for DD for a while and the Frank Miller stuff is supposed to be good. Where should I go next?

Bendis, Miller, Brubaker Runs are all great I'd also add Waid's current run. Start with Bendis then Brubaker for contemporary DD stories like End of Days then continue with Mark Waid's run from there.

frye

Miller is my dude and his stuff is the bee's knees. Track it down if you can. Both his original run with Klaus Janson and Born Again with Mazzucchelli are foundational.

Owzers

Lazarus is just one issue in and I am enthralled. If you have the issue, and you haven't read those six pages of prose at the end ("because words") I encourage you to go back and do so. Greg and Michael are into something amazing here that's just barely scratched the surface, and I already want to be there every step of the way.

how do you know my reading habits? When my dcbs order arrives with the first issue i'll suppress my impulse to not read the prose pages.

Vyer

Larfleeze was funny, I'm on board. Giffen/dematteis did not disappoint.

Cap was great, as was a pizza Dog.

Shazam issue of JLA was as good as advertised.

Acid08

Banned

It was a great first issue, I don't know if I'm as excited as you though :p

The prose pages at the end really did sell me on their passion for the project though. I'll be sticking with it for a while because it seems like they have great plans for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom