• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Bought more than I listed....what else is new?

Every time I see Jupiters Legacy's, I briefly think "Quitely! Gotta buy!" but then my eyes focus in on Millar and I think "Oh fucks no."

ElNarez

Banned
Also, gee to the whiz Bendis is spinning gold out of that turd of a speech from Uncanny Avengers #5, while Uncanny X-Force has found its tone and stride so Who The Fuck Needs Rick Remender (Cap was ace, okay, maybe)

tim1138

JLA #5 was good. Really like the chemistry between these characters.

Waller is so working with the Secret Society

I was thrilled to see B'dg make the jump to JLA with Simon Baz, plus we got the first reference to
Pat Dugan being STRIPE
in the N52.

I really love this book.

IMG_0009.jpg

This is from Final Crisis, right?

tim1138

By those standards, Black Mask is also Grant Morrison. You know, just with a black mask.

Or the Outsider from Flashpoint since they both wear suits and know Batman! Or maybe Outsider=Black Mask=Grant Morrison! Quick submit a tip to Bleeding Cool!

I read JLA again on lunch and it just reaffirmed my belief of Rich making stuff up for hits. The mystery man is probably tied to
the multiverse and Crime Syndicate. I'm guessing he saw Darkseid destroy his world and he's the sole survivor

Tizoc

High five for that
One of my favorite comic crossovers ever
Sad that we probably won't get a game out of it

*High fives back~*

As I am re-reading Morrison's JL run I am reminded of one of his best characters
Prometheus_Arkhamverse_01.jpg

Apparently DC fucked up the character before the reboot, but during Morrison's run he was freakin' badass.

JJD

Man Wood's X-men is probably Marvel's best book right now. So much fun!

I'm glad WATXM is getting back on track too! The last 2 issues are as good as the first ones.

This may be a weird question, but are there some happy, optimistic comics going on right now? Something that feels like All-Star Superman. I'm reading FF, and I feel it strikes this chord, but maybe something from Image also?

Acid08

Banned
This may be a weird question, but are there some happy, optimistic comics going on right now? Something that feels like All-Star Superman. I'm reading FF, and I feel it strikes this chord, but maybe something from Image also?
I don't know about optimistic but Chew is the funniest comic I read despite having some heavy plot points. It's super lighthearted even in the face of serious stuff. Highly recommend it.

Tizoc

Hmm from image there's Super Dinosaur.

For more lighter comics, check out Megaman, Daredevil (Granted it has various dark stuff but it's heartwarming moments really stand out) and Hawkguy.

That's it off the top of my head atm ^^;

Mark Waid's Daredevil I'd say this first volume is pretty lighthearted and fun I'd recommend that.

FnordChan

Pardon me while I jump in for a moment to enthuse about crowd funding and European comics. Benoît Peeters and François Schuiten have an astonishing, long running series called Les Cités Obscures (published in English as The Obscure Cities or Cities of the Fantastic). It's a series of stand alone graphic novels set in a universe that has diverged from our own at some point in ways that are surreal, mysterious, and beautiful. Several of these volumes were published in the US by NBM - The Walls of Samaris, The Fever of Urbicande, The Tower, Brüsel, and The Invisible Frontier - but all are sadly out of print.

Here's where the crowd funding bit comes in. There is currently a Kickstarter campaign going to publish a new Obscure Cities volume, The Leaning Girl, in English. Here are some sample images:

leaning1.jpg

leaning2.jpg

The look of The Leaning Girl is like Winsor McCay meets Jules Verne; you can see more images on the Kickstarter page. Thirty bucks gets you the paperback edition in the US. If the campaign is successful, the plan is to bring the earlier volumes of the series back into print after The Leaning Girl is published. As a fan of the series, I'm super stoked, so I wanted to plug the campaign here. And, even if it isn't funded, I'd encourage folks to track down the series either way. So, check it out!

FnordChan

*High fives back~*

As I am re-reading Morrison's JL run I am reminded of one of his best characters
Prometheus_Arkhamverse_01.jpg

Apparently DC fucked up the character before the reboot, but during Morrison's run he was freakin' badass.
Yeah, he was chill. I want to elevate Aztek when I get to the level of comics superstar.

Wool

I don't read it, but I've heard Adventure Time is a great feel-good comic. They do some cool stuff too. Apparently #15 was told like this:

I don't know about optimistic but Chew is the funniest comic I read despite having some heavy plot points. It's super lighthearted even in the face of serious stuff. Highly recommend it.

Hmm from image there's Super Dinosaur.

For more lighter comics, check out Megaman, Daredevil (Granted it has various dark stuff but it's heartwarming moments really stand out) and Hawkguy.

That's it off the top of my head atm ^^;

Mark Waid's Daredevil I'd say this first volume is pretty lighthearted and fun I'd recommend that.

I don't read it, but I've heard Adventure Time is a great feel-good comic. They do some cool stuff too. Apparently #15 was told like this:

Thanks guys, I'm going to check out a couple of these today when I get the chance.

I encourage you to check out Atomic Robo from Red 5 comics, if you haven't yet. The first issue of the first run is free on Comixology and the first issue of the new mini was released today (Atomic Robo Savage Sword of Dr Dinosaur).

I hear you on wanting lighter fare. I find myself wanting comics that are about adventure and exploration and do not involve hand-to-hand combat or gunfights (or at the very least do not centre around these things). Lately, I'm exploring more playful fare, including all ages stuff. I picked up the newly released The Malevolent Mr. Burns and Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard issues today, along with the new Atomic Robo.

Owzers

Ultimately it doesn't matter when its a 56$ pre-order on amazon.

I will keep my dcbs pre-order even though it jumped from 37.50 to 50 XO

Also, funnest books ever:

Atomic Robo
Nextwave Agents of Hate

recently the Rocketeer Cargo of Doom mini by Waid and Samnee was fun.

Journey into mystery is super fun. Also there was a Hellcat mini a few years back that was one of the most fun comics I've read.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Kate Bishop was on Dennis Hopeless's wish list for Avengers Arena. He probably should have kept that to himself, lol.

in a word: yes

+1 to this. It's good.

Does one need a solid knowledge of gotham and whats going on in this universe? Because that's what I don't have. I'm slowly getting back into comics after haven't read anything last few years. (Reading Hawkguy and Waids Daredevil atm, loving both). I'm kind of afraid of diving into those massive franchise like Green Lantern or Batman, so I'm staying in the terretory of manageable runs.

Does one need a solid knowledge of gotham and whats going on in this universe? Because that's what I don't have. I'm slowly getting back into comics after haven't read anything last few years. (Reading Hawkguy and Waids Daredevil atm, loving both). I'm kind of afraid of diving into those massive franchise like Green Lantern or Batman, so I'm staying in the terretory of manageable runs.

Not really. As long as you have some basic understanding of Batman and his rogues gallery you should be fine. It's about the police of Gotham (specifically a modest cast of characters) dealing with the Bat Villains doing crazy shit and being the laughing stock because Batman makes them look terribad,

Edit: Glancing back at it, some of the later issues have some minor tie ins to Infinite Crisis, but you can basically ignore that.

Not really. As long as you have some basic understanding of Batman and his rogues gallery you should be fine. It's about the police of Gotham (specifically a modest cast of characters) dealing with the Bat Villains doing crazy shit and being the laughing stock because Batman makes them look terribad,

Alright, thanks for sharing your knowledge ;)

Edit: Glancing back at it, some of the later issues have some minor tie ins to Infinite Crisis, but you can basically ignore that.

Thx!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Daredevil's recent issue was some excellent payoff.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Seriously. I hadn't read any Daredevil in my life until a couple of months ago. Now I'm caught up on the Waid run, and I've also plowed through the Bendis and Brubaker runs.

Check out Frank Miller's Daredevil stuff. It's fantastic. Also, I kind of love Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil--it's a mindfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom