• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been rereading Sandman in preparation for vol 9&10, those two have been in the backlog for too long. Man is it good, Morpheus is a great character despite how often he tends to brood. I also love those filler stories.

Me too. I don't even feel comfortable calling them filler stories because it makes me think of TV filler, where episodes are just there to buy time and round out the season. Every sandman story, whether it's the overarching plot or an individual chapter, is enjoyable enough to read in its own right that it all felt like the main event and not a sideshow- "This is what I am here for and it justifies the time and money being spent."

NEO0MJ

Me too. I don't even feel comfortable calling them filler stories because it makes me think of TV filler, where episodes are just there to buy time and round out the season. Every sandman story, whether it's the overarching plot or an individual chapter, is enjoyable enough to read in its own right that it all felt like the main event and not a sideshow- "This is what I am here for and it justifies the time and money being spent."

Yeah, but no other term came to mind. I don't think we can call them side stories.

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist... :O

Marvel Comics
All-New X-Men #13
Captain America #8
Daredevil #27
FF #8
Gambit #14
Hawkguy #11
Journey Into Mystery #653
Uncanny X-Force #7
Uncanny X-Men #7
Wolverine and the X-Men #32
X-Men #2
Young Avengers #6

Image Comics
Lazarus #1
Sex #4

Dark Horse Comics
Amala's Blade #3
King Conan: Hour of the Dragon #2

Miscellaneous
Previews #298 July 2013

I thought the price bump was just for one issue?

Heh. #28 is $3.99, then it drops to $3.50 for #29 and #30. Even that's a lot to ask for the circle-jerk this book has turned into. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, but I'm getting really fucking annoyed that the story still isn't going anywhere after almost thirty fucking issues.

Do you guys have any recommendations for comic book podcasts? I tried Word Balloon but the host really annoys me. His interview style seems so forced and fake.

It doesn't need to have interviews with people that work in the industry or anything, I just want good comic book talk.

I listen to the following:

Wait, What? A bit anti-Marvel but they talk about their titles as well as DC and indies. News and reviews. No interviews.

House to Astonish A bit anti-DC but they discuss their titles as well as Marvel and indies. Focus on reviewing first issues, also talk about solicits. News, no interviews.

Silence! I've only listened to the two most recent episodes of this but I can quite confidently say that it is the best podcast ever. God, I love it. Frye referred it on this very thread and I eagerly check my podcasts app every day awaiting the next ep. In addition to talking about comics, they do other stuff, like be hilarious.

All of the above are due a new episode soon, and actually the new Wait, What? should be up tomorrow.

And, yeah, guys Lazarus is the from team that won an Eisner for Gotham Central. This series is going to be the business!

BearChair

Do you guys have any recommendations for comic book podcasts? I tried Word Balloon but the host really annoys me. His interview style seems so forced and fake.

It doesn't need to have interviews with people that work in the industry or anything, I just want good comic book talk.

I have had really good success with Comic Geek Speak. It is four guys, sometime five, plus the occasional guest. They have a rotating series of features with news early in the week, a monthly look at previews magazine and historical looks at various series (currently X-Men and the Avengers). There are well over 1,000 episodes so you can go back and check out their historical episodes, if you want (the history of spiderman is especially good).

The guys are all in their 30s or older with kids, jobs and real lives.

The team is very Big Two biased, and a bit more towards Marvel at the moment but there is love for older DC. There is not much in terms of indie coverage, though.

Vyer

Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman. Obviously a bit DC centric as it focuses on Batman but he gets great guests and goes through their past which results in the podcasts being more a History of Comics type thing than anything else. He also brings in guys like Timm and Dini for some great discussion on animation and comics.

It's also generally devoid of the dick and fart Jay and Silent Bob stuff that plagues a lot of Smith's work so that's a plus.

ericexpo

Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman. Obviously a bit DC centric as it focuses on Batman but he gets great guests and goes through their past which results in the podcasts being more a History of Comics type thing than anything else. He also brings in guys like Timm and Dini for some great discussion on animation and comics.

It's also generally devoid of the dick and fart Jay and Silent Bob stuff that plagues a lot of Smith's work so that's a plus.

listened to the first couple of these and it was to much of smith talking about himself, which plages every thing that's hes on.
Has he toned it down recently?

Vyer

listened to the first couple of these and it was to much of smith talking about himself, which plages every thing that's hes on.
Has he toned it down recently?

Possibly. I didn't listen to the podcast from the beginning and only picked it up in the last few months. With guests like Timm, Morrison, Stan Lee, etc. he might mention how he could relate to what they are saying but it wasn't something that stood out to me. YMMV
I generally found what the guests were saying pretty interesting and the main focus of the episodes.

Owzers

So like, what's Trinity War going to be about anyways?

Justice League vs Justice League of America vs Justice League Dark

in some combination, with the backdrop of Pandora and her mystery box/Trinity of Sin

This will be the first dc event i don't buy in years, Age of Ultron was the first Marvel event i didn't buy in years as well. I'm in for Infinity though.

Tizoc

Justice League vs Justice League of America vs Justice League Dark

in some combination, with the backdrop of Pandora and her mystery box/Trinity of Sin

This will be the first dc event i don't buy in years, Age of Ultron was the first Marvel event i didn't buy in years as well. I'm in for Infinity though.

You should def. check out the Megaman and Sonic crossover, that the BEST major event I've read in comics, the Marvel and DC ones never did it for me and I only got into FC late after it ended haha.
Oh and it's accessable even if you never read either comic since it takes place after Megaman 10 @_@
...but even then, get the Megaman comic it's fantastic.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Marvel Unlimited doesn't crash on me but I still HATE the app. By default, single pages only take up 44% of the screen's surface area on my tablet. (And that's in portrait, lol.) They added the ability to zoom a couple weeks ago, but you have to do it manually every page with glitchy pinch-and-zoom. I'd rather just stick with Comixology.

Just bought the first 17 Immortal Iron Fists because of the Comixology sale.

Hoping to start it tomorrow night now, but is there much more reading after #17 if I am enjoying it, anyone know?

I only have the same issues you do, but the ones after that are by the guy who writes the Bloodshot relaunch, so I'd guess that they're good.
It ended at #27.

Acid08

Banned
You should def. check out the Megaman and Sonic crossover, that the BEST major event I've read in comics, the Marvel and DC ones never did it for me and I only got into FC late after it ended haha.
Oh and it's accessable even if you never read either comic since it takes place after Megaman 10 @_@
I can't even handle this post.

And yeah the last arc of Iron Fist is a great continuation of the story. I hate Foreman so that took some getting used to but the art is pretty good.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I looked at the preview for Avengers Arena #12. It really cheapens some recent events.

Just read Batman/Superman 1 over my lunch break.

Good writing, superb visuals but I have no idea how and when this could logically happen in the time line. I ignores Action Comics: Men of Steel as well as the Zero Issues of Bats and Supes, it ignores much of the set-up of JL:Origin and does not mesh too well with E2:The Gathering as of now.

I know, i know it is early to judge a story after 20 pages, espcially one so well written and drawn, but it's strage that Pak always told us it will make sense when taking previewous books into acount, but it does not.

Tenck

That drastic character art style change really caught me by surprise in Hawkeye. I'm not sure if I like it :x

Is the dude who did the first three issues ever coming back to draw or is that out of the question now?

Still love it though.

tim1138

After reading Justice League #21, DC better have a Shazam ongoing lined up to debut in October. I was apprehensive of the changes to Billy initially but they were completely unfounded. I need a solo Shazam book DC.

This issue gave me pretty much everything I want out of a Shazam book - Black Adam, the 7 Deadly Sins,
Dr Sivana, the extended Marvel family, Tawny, and Mr freaking Mind

Let's do this DC.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That drastic character art style change really caught me by surprise in Hawkeye. I'm not sure if I like it :x

Is the dude who did the first three issues ever coming back to draw or is that out of the question now?

Still love it though.

Aja? Yeah, he's still working on it. Him and Fraction are a pretty close team. Aja is back with #11 and then Francavilla jumps back in for #12 and it's Aja again.

I just found these the other day, and they're awesome. I've already listened to the Grant Morrison, Jim Lee and Paul Dini ones. The hilarious thing is Smith is smoking weed throughout the interviews. Youll hear his lighter flicking every now and again, or he'll be coughing. Grant Morrison really blows his mind a couple of times after that lighter flicks. Funny shit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I just found these the other day, and they're awesome. I've already listened to the Grant Morrison, Jim Lee and Paul Dini ones. The hilarious thing is Smith is smoking weed throughout the interviews. Youll hear his lighter flicking every now and again, or he'll be coughing. Grant Morrison really blows his mind a couple of times after that lighter flicks. Funny shit.

It's seriously one of the best pods out there. He's constantly getting people that are paramount not just to Batman, but to comics in general, (Morrison, Stan Lee, Dini, Snyder, Capullo, Jim Lee, etc.) and he lets them be super candid about their lives and their work.

The Grant Morrison episodes are my favorite because you can just sit there in awe of Morrison and his thoughts on life and The Batman. His breakdown of Dark Knight Returns and the relationship between Bruce and Dick is the best one I've yet to hear, and you can tell all throughout the interview, Kevin Smith just kind of sits there, nervously excited, hanging on every word like the listener, just hoping that Grant won't stop talking and telling stories.

It's seriously one of the best pods out there. He's constantly getting people that are paramount not just to Batman, but to comics in general, (Morrison, Stan Lee, Dini, Snyder, Capullo, Jim Lee, etc.) and he lets them be super candid about their lives and their work.

The Grant Morrison episodes are my favorite because you can just sit there in awe of Morrison and his thoughts on life and The Batman. His breakdown of Dark Knight Returns and the relationship between Bruce and Dick is the best one I've yet to hear, and you can tell all throughout the interview, Kevin Smith just kind of sits there, nervously excited, hanging on every word like the listener, just hoping that Grant won't stop talking and telling stories.

Yeah, it's the best Morrison interview I've ever heard. I mean, it's over two hours long altogether, so they get really in depth. I know I'll listen to it again sometime, there was so much good stuff in it.

It's great that these comic guys are getting an opportunity to discuss their work with someone that has some credibility. A guy like Jim Lee, I'd never really heard him talk about his career like that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just finished reading the first Prophet TPB, quality stuff. I enjoy Brandon Graham's brand of weirdness, so it's interesting to see him tackling something with a more serious vibe (so far I had only read his more whimsical works like King City and Multiple Warheads, both of which I also enjoyed greatly).

It's cool to see a previously kind of shitty Liefeld creation getting an interesting revival, guess I should check Glory too.

Penguin

High five for that
One of my favorite comic crossovers ever
Sad that we probably won't get a game out of it

Just read Batman/Superman 1 over my lunch break.

Good writing, superb visuals but I have no idea how and when this could logically happen in the time line. I ignores Action Comics: Men of Steel as well as the Zero Issues of Bats and Supes, it ignores much of the set-up of JL:Origin and does not mesh too well with E2:The Gathering as of now.

I know, i know it is early to judge a story after 20 pages, espcially one so well written and drawn, but it's strage that Pak always told us it will make sense when taking previewous books into acount, but it does not.

I haven't read all of those, but was wondering the same thing. I feel like this is trampling over stuff they've already mentioned, but whatever

After reading Justice League #21, DC better have a Shazam ongoing lined up to debut in October. I was apprehensive of the changes to Billy initially but they were completely unfounded. I need a solo Shazam book DC.

Let's do this DC.

This I agree with, specially the bolded parts.

I really want a Shazam monthly, always been an interesting character to me and this version has been awesome so far.

On a different note and I know it's a week late, but I wanted some time to ponder it. I think Superman Unbound has potential. For me so far it's been one of the better issues of a Superman title out of the Nu52.

dan2026

The conclusion to the Shazam story in Justice League was awesome.
Will defiantly get the collected edition.

Bring on the solo series!!!!!

Valravn

You turned your back and I wrecked your world. Deprived your people of their powers, their hopes, their future, themselves. What will you do when your friends, your enemies, your lover, are all Darkseid? When there is one body. One mind. One will. One life that is Darkseid. Will you be the enemy of all existence, then? What irony that will be, Son of Krypton?

IMG_0009.jpg

Good God I missed reading you! JFC this wait between issues is such a pain in the ass...

Anyways, this issue was total love from start to finish.
Seeing Lucky facing off against The Clown & Tracksuits was great not to mention how much he loves Clint. Though him running off with Kate - hopefully it's just a short vacation after all the stuff he went through in the issue. Also, nice detail that Clint uses a safety razor to shave lol.

Everything this team puts out just contines to blow my mind with the excellent consistency - despite the lame release dates :p

Hopefully July's double-ship acutually happens because I don't want to wait any longer than needed.

Owzers

• Fantastic Four by Hickman Omnibus HC Volume 1 (MAY130711) will now be 800 pages and $100, not 736 pages and $75.

what are my 64 extra pages for $25 extra dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom