• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read x-o manowar #25. The owly with the armor story is the bestest thing ever. Cuteness overload! Almost as good as the owly in batman art sketch I got at comic con.

Bii

Oh gosh, those Revoltech TMNT figures look great! I'd either have to buy one (Leonardo) or the whole set. :/

Looking back at my shelf, I notice I have a serious lack of Marvel trades. I gotta step my game up.

-

Manhattan Projects #21

14288137997_c87d3ce2ee_o.jpg

Rys is officially my new favorite in MP. His introduction of other species had me rolling. I can't get enough of him; I hope he sticks around for awhile.

14287970390_8127a0fa09_o.jpg

Going back to Laika, our dog who was sent to explore deep space for the Mars project, encounters some eerie space creatures and ends up in a very curious situation. Her and Yuri's friendship is going to be...interesting.

I have this sort of love/hate relationship with MP. It probably reads better in a trade because there have been some single issues that do not move things along and I'm anxiously waiting for something to happen. And just when I think I'm going to drop the monthly and trade wait, I get a spectacular issue like this one.

14287970100_b53fb178d3_o.jpg

Because certainly no one else has ever sexualized a female comic character before. No need for the faux outrage.

I chalk it up to being a riff on "Guns, cars, and women" culture.
I kinda like it.
I was making fun of the fact that the Bombshell cover is so tame compared to this. Also, as someone who doesn't like Lobdell's writing 99% of the time, I actually kind of enjoy his RHATO. This issue was dumb fun.

I chalk it up to being a riff on "Guns, cars, and women" culture.
I kinda like it.
I was making fun of the fact that the Bombshell cover is so tame compared to this. Also, as someone who doesn't like Lobdell's writing 99% of the time, I actually kind of enjoy his RHATO. This issue was dumb fun.

My comment had nothing to do with the actual content of the cover. I just find it annoying when people feign offense at stuff like this when it's literally everywhere we look. Video games, magazines, television. Everywhere. The cover itself is fine, even if Starfy's pose is a bit too blatant.

Well, it's 2014 and I guess I expect more from the medium than I should. So sue me.

If you want to change the way the media perceives women, maybe start somewhere besides the comic industry. :p

Where the hell is mikeys neck? Other than that, the build quality is nice. I wish EMH got revoltech support.

It looks like his entire neck is a joint. Makes it look a little odd, but it's a cool-looking figure to be sure.

Red Hood is my guilty pleasure, shit just goes michael bay all the time..

I'll be sad when the book finally got the axe.

Pretty much this. They actually handle Starfire rather well in the book proper (with the occasional cheesecake). She is the power house of the team and half the stories directly involve her as the main protagonist.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If you want to change the way the media perceives women, maybe start somewhere besides the comic industry. :p

It looks like his entire neck is a joint. Makes it look a little odd, but it's a cool-looking figure to be sure.

If you said this on game side about the games industry you'd get flogged. I suppose that one thing gaming has going for it. "Not as immature as comics."

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They really fucked up with starfire after building her up with the cartoon.

not really. shes a younger version of a established character. her comics counterpart hasnt changed all that much, only that the spotlight is on her now due to the comic.

If you said this on game side about the games industry you'd get flogged. I suppose that one thing gaming has going for it. "Not as immature as comics."

no.

phoenixyz

Case in point, kinda gross cyst story:
One time in high school I thought I had a mosquito bite, but my math teacher told me it was a cyst. Eventually I popped it open since it was getting annoying and it came out as this super long stringy thing. I shudder and get slightly nauseous thinking about it.
nothungryanymoref9j1h.gif

gerg

My comment had nothing to do with the actual content of the cover. I just find it annoying when people feign offense at stuff like this when it's literally everywhere we look. Video games, magazines, television. Everywhere. The cover itself is fine, even if Starfy's pose is a bit too blatant.

"Someone else is just as bad" has never worked as a legitimate excuse for anything. Yes, the sexual objectification of women is everywhere, but that doesn't mean that comic books (like video games) aren't as good a place as any to start changing that.

Arsenal's huge biceps are awfully exposed on that cover. I'm outraged.

Yeah, I found my eyes lingering for a bit, being like "Damn bro".

"Someone else is just as bad" has never worked as a legitimate excuse for anything. Yes, the sexual objectification of women is everywhere, but that doesn't mean that comic books (like video games) aren't as good a place as any to start changing that.

Agreed! But there are also some battles I'm not going to personally fight. Sexy Catwoman or Starfire, for example, whereas I'd be much more bothered by, say, a sexified Batgirl who has traditionally been rather reserved. But, then, I also fully admit to being unable to always distinguish when something is truly objectifying versus something caught up in overzealous PC social justice warriors.

Zombine

Banned
"Power girl, you should cover up. I love you for who you are on the inside, M'lady. Maybe now that Amanda Connor sees how sensitive I am as a male, she will bend to my will and be my waifu. I am such a nice guy."

pls respond

"Power girl, you should cover up. I love you for who you are on the inside, M'lady. Maybe now that Amanda Connor sees how sensitive I am as a male, she will bend to my will and be my waifu. I am such a nice guy."

pls respond

You forgot to take off your fedora you disrespectful cur.

I don't get the problem, there are some female characters they sexualize all the time and some that they don't, I don't need all females covered up as a sign of maturity.

Zombine

Banned
ComicGAF is above such nonsense.

Absolutely. We all genuinely love these characters both male and female. I would go as far as to say that positive conversation about female characters, writers, and artists outnumbers everything else here 2:1. The people creating the best stories and making the most waves are all women. Included in this list are true proponents of female advocacy such as Ed Brubacher, who is making tons of waves as well, with strong female lead characters such as Velvet.

It is nice to see subtle things happen, in the realm of reducing female objectification. Take, for example, Red Sonja. Her covers are still very cheesecake, but in the interiors you're starting to see her dress more reasonably. She wears this full chain shirt more often than not, for example.

And that doesn't stop Gail Simone from having her be a lewd, crude lady (one of the subplots in the current arc is her desire and inability to get laid).

Chinner

Banned
quite liked punisher #7. probably one of the better issues since this run has started. nice art and well written.

read through cyclops #1. want more of scotts dad and his squirrel girlfriend and less of scott. but i believe in rucka that he'll make scott more tolerable.

read through cyclops #1. want more of scotts dad and his squirrel girlfriend and less of scott. but i believe in rucka that he'll make scott more tolerable.
Did it change your life?

Amanda Connor has silly fun with the characters she draws. She wasn't coerced into doing that and I legitimately chuckled.
Part of the reason why I love her art is just how fun it is, there's so much personality in every character she draws. Power Girl wasn't bad after she left but the art just felt so hollow afterwards even if it was still pretty good looking.

And as always, I recommend her artbook. Lots of good commentary throughout.

Part of the reason why I love her art is just how fun it is, there's so much personality in every character she draws. Power Girl wasn't bad after she left but the art just felt so hollow afterwards even if it was still pretty good looking.

And as always, I recommend her artbook. Lots of good commentary throughout.

Downplaying Sami Basri? D: ... I don't think we can be friends anymore, Tyrant. I'm not saying you are a human monster, but...

Downplaying Sami Basri? D: ... I don't think we can be friends anymore, Tyrant. I'm not saying you are a human monster, but...

GrandHarrier pls

It's not that I think the art is bad... It's just hard to not be disappointed after one of my favorite artists leaves the creative team :(

Basri's art is definitely good looking but it was kind of a big shift from the Palmiotti/Conner run just before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom