• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I can't quite remember, but how many of you guys are in NorCal? I know sca is, but is anyone else from around this area? We should hit up a few shops and browse around, there's a couple of that have some really nice things like A1 comics and Metropolis comics in Sacramentio, and Fantasy Cards and Games in Livermore, etc :D

SoCal here. Pretty much the farthest I could possibly be while remaining in the same state. Haha

Christ what a common name. If you meet anyone in America called Steve let them know we might be cousins.

Holy shit! You might be a second uncle of mine then!
:p

Cheska

Comic Related:

Rachel Rising...yay or nay?

Absolutely!

As someone who is generally not a fan of horror related stories, I was hesitant to dip into the series. However, I watched an episode of The Hangout featuring Terry Moore and found their enthusiasm to be infectious. I picked up the first trade and was immediately hooked.

Zombine

Banned
Absolutely!

As someone who is generally not a fan of horror related stories, I was hesitant to dip into the series. However, I watched an episode of The Hangout featuring Terry Moore and found their enthusiasm to be infectious. I picked up the first trade and was immediately hooked.

Wondeful! Picking up the bundle during the digital sale right now.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'd like to jump into Turtles -- where is a good starting point? The other option is Hellboy.

Messi

What kind of gross stuff are you into, Messi?

I read Sunstone.

image.php

Kipp

We need to put cysts on the list next to Quitely and Morrison of things we can't talk about in Comics-GAF.

Case in point, kinda gross cyst story:
One time in high school I thought I had a mosquito bite, but my math teacher told me it was a cyst. Eventually I popped it open since it was getting annoying and it came out as this super long stringy thing. I shudder and get slightly nauseous thinking about it.

So with that, I hereby ban cysts.

No one is INTO cysts. They are a curse. Mine was so bad, thought I was gonna die.

A few years ago I had a couple of sebacious cysts on my scalp. Simple out-patient surgery took care of it. But after the novacane wore off, it WAS NOT pleasant.

Pfft, I could drive to my shop and pick up one of the many signed Power Girl prints and trades they have for sale. That's real privilege.

Only until they sell out. :p

I too am thinking about another Amanda Conner print, but they have some nice Elephantmen prints over on hipflask.com that I loke as well, especially dat Man & Elephantman #1 cover by Ian Churchill.

Caspel

Caspel

Well, the free shipping is only with orders $50+. If you're spending $100/wk there, you probably never noticed. ;)

Ahh, Yeah, when I was trying to put in an solo order, shipping was factored in and it was more expensive than Amazon prices.

Zombine

Banned
Thanks. With Amazon, I get free 2-day shipping, so is there any reason why I should go with IST instead of my normal buying option of Amazon?

I have Amazon Prime also, and the service just isn't worth it for books. Amazon does not give a single shit about the condition your books arrive in. They might as well ship them in a plastic bag with some rocks. It's the worst.

IST treats each book like a newborn baby, securely shrink wrapping the books, then putting this form fitting foam box over the books before they enter the shipping cardboard box. It's amazing, and it's the main reason I always buy with them. Not to mention that 7 times out of 10 they are cheaper.

lordmrw

Beautiful day out, decided to walk to a comic shop that I haven't been to in years. I haven't been buying physical comics in a long time and haven't been up to date in the TMNT IDW series, despite owning every issue of the Mirage series.

But, I couldn't resist picking up this sexy looking Turtles in Time issue. Not familiar with the artist here, but I love the look of the boom. Very calm, easy to read, vibrant, and able to give out different tones when needed.

Took a couple pictures to highlight the difference. I wouldn't call these really spoilers, but some people might be waiting for the issue still.

http://i.imgur.com/DVhM3kt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cc1efXv.jpg

Might be in love.

the artist is Ross Campbell. He also just recently did a three (or was it four?) issue stint on the main book. If you're curious it was the Northampton story arc.

Cheska

Well, the free shipping is only with orders $50+. If you're spending $100/wk there, you probably never noticed. ;)

AHAHA, yes, that is true! I've never had to pay for shipping so it's always worth it for me to buy books from there.

I have Amazon Prime as well, but California tax kills the deal for certain stuff.

Only until they sell out. :p

Freeza pls, they've had a stack of prints at the shop for more than a year now. I'm tempted to buy more but I think one Peej print is enough for now.

This talk of Turtles toys reminds me of how a few years ago I didn't know what to get my sister for her birthday so I bought her two Ninja Turtle toys. It was her 21st birthday and... she wasn't too happy with me! Was worth it for her reaction lol

Zombine

Banned
What! That's sick. I don't buy a lot of toys (exceptions for waifu figmas and gundam models) but I may have to grab one of those.

When I do buy merch for a specific franchise I enjoy, it tends to be really unique things like these guys and then I move on. These guys will be my TMNT collection and that's it.

Haha, that's pretty rad. What does the pricing look like on those? Revoltech is usually pricier than regular figures.

Realistically? $200 for the set :/

Kipp

I too am thinking about another Amanda Conner print, but they have some nice Elephantmen prints over on hipflask.com that I loke as well, especially dat Man & Elephantman #1 cover by Ian Churchill.

Oh whoa. Frank Quitely did a cover for Elephantmen? Had no idea.

Also, they're selling sketchbooks on their site. That's pretty neat. I wish more artists sold sketchbooks filled with scans of sketches they've done.

Kipp

Oh man. That TMNT action figures thing got me thinking about statues and I was wondering if there were any Doop statues that ever existed. As I suspected, none do, but I did find many hilarious custom Doop statues/figures/heroclix/plushes.

Please observe:

My actual favorite though:

Ordered some books off of IST:
Black Canary and Zatanna Bloodspell
Uncanny Avengers Vol 3
She-Hulk by Dan Slott Vol 2
Black Science Vol 1

Been dying to read Bloodspell and I didn't even know She-Hulk Vol 2 was out!

Owzers

more reading:

Silver Surfer #3 - It was okay, not dropping it yet, but it does feel like the book wants to be a crazier adventure than it is.

She-Hulk #5 - I did like it more than the previous Kristoff stuff, but i didn't think it was toooooo good, but it was enjoyable. Soule did a better job incorporating Jen's surrounding cast.

Silver Surfer #3 - It was okay, not dropping it yet, but it does feel like the book wants to be a crazier adventure than it is.

Silver Surfer is a funny book, because aside from the Mike Allred art, I never look forward to reading it, and it's usually one of the last books I'll read for whatever week it comes out. But I always end up enjoying it quite a bit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Done catching up with Batman Zero Year and it's pretty rad, there's some crazy shit going on and I'm loving it.

As I read that bit with Gordon I literally said aloud "Dead". I know it's comics, but that's some circus shit right there. For my next trick, I will dive 50 feet into a paddling pool!
:lol :lol

I had to do a double take on that part. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom