• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Hmm, just a little question here, guys. I am an ex-comic reader but never really stopped following the scene from afar. And every now and then I get this urge to read again but...
Without even talking about the delirious cover prices, how do you guys achieve to sort out what you are reading or not ? I mean not so long ago you had 1-2 books for a character / team and that was that. Now if I get the urge to read some Avengers I get the feeling I have to sift through and endless stream of releases. Same thing for a good portion of every notable DC/Marvel character or team. What's funny is I stopped reading partly because I had too much of a hard time selecting what I wanted to read every month, and now it's seems like my problem just exploded in size.
Hope I was clear, my post is in no way a troll but a genuine question about the state of the industry.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
anyone reading Sovereign or Brass Sun? picked these both up yesterday (3 issues for Sov, the first for Brass) and both seem to be sci-fi/fantasy world builders. Sovereign is a little over written with pages of just text explaining the world, and seems to take a little from Game of Thrones, though in the last issue all 3 parties are in the same place.

kmfdmpig

Hmm, just a little question here, guys. I am an ex-comic reader but never really stopped following the scene from afar. And every now and then I get this urge to read again but...
Without even talking about the delirious cover prices, how do you guys achieve to sort out what you are reading or not ? I mean not so long ago you had 1-2 books for a character / team and that was that. Now if I get the urge to read some Avengers I get the feeling I have to sift through and endless stream of releases. Same thing for a good portion of every notable DC/Marvel character or team. What's funny is I stopped reading partly because I had too much of a hard time selecting what I wanted to read every month, and now it's seems like my problem just exploded in size.
Hope I was clear, my post is in no way a troll but a genuine question about the state of the industry.

If you want to read the main big two characters then trades are a good way around that problem and they tend to be cheaper per issue, particularly if you buy online.

Well there are a couple of different ways to approach it. You can decide to follow a writer or artist and get the books they do or you can follow a character or team. Both of these methods generally require you to keep up to date on the solicitations that the companies put out, skim through the blurbs for each title and decide if it is for you.

Take me, for example; I've decided to primarily follow DC titles so that has narrowed it down to one particular company for the bulk of my titles. I then pull based on general sub-groups within DC, such as Bat Family titles or Superman Family titles. If I wanted to prune which titles I was pulling, I'd go with the "gut check", whether or not I am actively reading the book, or getting behind and letting it build up on the backlog. For my other, indie pulls, usually from Image, I either listen to my comic friends here and pick up some of the titles they seem to be into, or I follow a creative team, such as most of Gail Simone's work.

It isn't easy. Unlike many other mediums, the options available to a comic reader is enormous. Learning to set limits, either by number of books, or the like is very important.

GrandHarrier pls

It's not that I think the art is bad... It's just hard to not be disappointed after one of my favorite artists leaves the creative team :(

Basri's art is definitely good looking but it was kind of a big shift from the Palmiotti/Conner run just before that.

Sure, I just love Basri. I enjoyed him on Power Girl and he was also on Voodoo for her twelve issue run and it was just gorgeous.

Bii

Once you realize you cannot read everything, picking up comics become easier. And just like any other medium, you start off small. Maybe buy a trade here or there or pick up a few monthlies to start off. You start to develop a taste for what you like and what you don't like. For the most part, comics will always be there even if you decide to take a break from it. The only thing you may miss out on is just the initial talks/reaction for when an issue is released that week.

I still have yet to read many comics that are considered "must-reads" such as Sandman, Y: The Last Man, 52 (though I am in the process), Brubaker's Captain America, just to name a few. I'll eventually get around to them but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I've yet to read them.

Gotta be honest, what I decide to read are based on the recommendations right here in this thread. I would have never got into Waid's Daredevil if it didn't get the praise that I saw in this thread back in 2011, nor would I have picked up the Chew trades, which I absolutely adore. If you need some recommendations, tell us what you like and what type of books you might be interested in (superhero team or solo books, sci-fi, fantasy, etc).

Zombine

Banned
I still have yet to read many comics that are considered "must-reads" such as Sandman, Y: The Last Man, 52 (though I am in the process), Brubaker's Captain America, just to name a few. I'll eventually get around to them but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I've yet to read them.

Oh it will. Once you get around to them you'll see what you missed and you'll feel bad. :p

Edit: Just so you guys are aware, if you want that Gwen Statue guaranteed when it's released, you only have until the 7th to get your orders in with TFAW. You aren't charged at time of preorder.

Boogiepop

So, just finished reading Uncanny X-Force. Really enjoyed it, just felt like a nice, tight run. A lot of fun, and did a good job of dealing with the whole idea of killing and whether or not it can be justified. Especially neat that in a way part of how they
negate the totalitarian future is by Wolverine killing Daken, which his counterpart couldn't.

A few questions: What's up with Celestials in general? I've only vaguely encountered them in comics up till now, and thought they were just powerful neutrals, but are they actually kind of dicks (based on what's said relating to them here)? Also, from what happens here... did
the Celestial tech push En Sabah Nur to become Apocalypse/obsessed with "evolution"? I always kind of assumed that he was just already a messed up jerk, and the tech was just a tool to make him into a powerhouse, not that it led him along that path.
Oh, and where exactly do they fall on the cosmic power scale again? I thought they were up in the "yeah, you pretty much have to be some ridiculous level of space god to fight them" tier, but then you see teams of X-men (/X-Force) able to handle their tech.

Oh, and is there an actual follow-up story for the
Age of Apocalypse stuff? They left that dimension kind of extra special screwed, especially with the bonus chapter where Jean Grey manages to make herself human sort of by accident.
And for that matter, is
Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler
still hanging around in the main continuity?

Messi

Local store is getting B&W Harley Quinn this week. It's definitely shipping out folks.

Ship mine tfaw so I can start my 6-8 week wait for it to arrive.

Owzers

Justice League United #2: I gave up reading it 2/3rds of the way and flipped through the rest, the book really isn't for me. There's not much to say about it, i find everything to be quite bland and the character interactions don't work. Since i didn't like it whoever wants the digital code be the first to quote my post and hope for the best.

So, just finished reading Uncanny X-Force. Really enjoyed it, just felt like a nice, tight run. A lot of fun, and did a good job of dealing with the whole idea of killing and whether or not it can be justified. Especially neat that in a way part of how they
negate the totalitarian future is by Wolverine killing Daken, which his counterpart couldn't.

A few questions: What's up with Celestials in general? I've only vaguely encountered them in comics up till now, and thought they were just powerful neutrals, but are they actually kind of dicks (based on what's said relating to them here)? Also, from what happens here... did
the Celestial tech push En Sabah Nur to become Apocalypse/obsessed with "evolution"? I always kind of assumed that he was just already a messed up jerk, and the tech was just a tool to make him into a powerhouse, not that it led him along that path.
Oh, and where exactly do they fall on the cosmic power scale again? I thought they were up in the "yeah, you pretty much have to be some ridiculous level of space god to fight them" tier, but then you see teams of X-men (/X-Force) able to handle their tech.

Oh, and is there an actual follow-up story for the
Age of Apocalypse stuff? They left that dimension kind of extra special screwed, especially with the bonus chapter where Jean Grey manages to make herself human sort of by accident.
And for that matter, is
Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler
still hanging around in the main continuity?

There's an Age of Apocalypse series that details what happens next. It ends with the X-Termination mini-crossover, which was about AoA Nightcrawler trying to get home. It was okay.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Justice League United #2: I gave up reading it 2/3rds of the way and flipped through the rest, the book really isn't for me. There's not much to say about it, i find everything to be quite bland and the character interactions don't work. Since i didn't like it whoever wants the digital code be the first to quote my post and hope for the best.

You don't happen to have the digital code for #1 as well, do you? I'm interested in checking out JLU, but I wouldn't want to read #2 without #1. Haha

I basically buy anything that has Hulk/Banner in it.

And then I have a friend who suggests stuff to me and I buy that as well.

Of course, it also helps a lot that I pretty much read Marvel stuff, so there's the entire Marvel Unlimited library at my disposal. If I'm curious about the recent trajectory of a character or series, I can read up until six months ago in that series and see if it's something I want to get into. In fact, if your problem is sorting out what to read, I highly recommend a Marvel Unlimited subscription. It's seventy bucks a year for an all-you-can-read buffet and amazing for separating out what you might want to actually own.

Owzers

You don't happen to have the digital code for #1 as well, do you? I'm interested in checking out JLU, but I wouldn't want to read #2 without #1. Haha

no i don't, i probably shouldn't have redeemed it given that i wasn't sold on the series, but i did. #1 was actually part 2 of the story which was annoying as well, if you're going to have a 0 issue, don't have it be part 1 of the story arc.

Kipp

no i don't, i probably shouldn't have redeemed it given that i wasn't sold on the series, but i did. #1 was actually part 2 of the story which was annoying as well, if you're going to have a 0 issue, don't have it be part 1 of the story arc.

No problem at all. Figured I'd ask just in case. :p

And huh. That is really weird... Why wouldn't they just call it #1 if it's a part of the story proper? Makes no sense.

Li Kao

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate outside views on this topic.
I will expand a little on my case, but I don't want to make it an ego trip, it's just that, hey maybe you could be helpful to me, and without deluding myself as an universal case, I think in some way my problem could be shared by other people, so why not.
So I'm pretty certain I have OCD. And to make matters worse, I really do not wish it on anyone, I also suffer from time to time of reading OCD (I used to big a big reader). That's the sad little part of my case. With that out of the way... How can you choose what to read ? I received some answers but the more I get the better I think. Me ? I'm far too open for my own good, and I really don't mean it in a good way.

- I love a good old super hero book, it's what attracted me to the medium after all. But fuck, I love me some other genres too.
- Same thing in following characters or authors, you can't have the perfect reading trip without creators at the top of their game, but hey there are characters I miss not reading.
- DC, Marvel, Image ? Yeah, cool, but there are a metric ton of other good publishers out there. With each passing month there seems to be promising new lines being created.

- The good thing is that I absolutely despise grim & gritty, so yeah it really helped skipping comic book for some years ^_^

So yeah, my incapacity to choose lead me to stop reading, because the selection process was too much trouble. But man do I miss me some of those pleasures you can only have when reading a well written comic book. Some years ago I was having braingasm after another reading things like Y, Fables, Invincible, The Goon, etc...
And when I foolishly think I could maybe re-take this hobby I look at the Preview order form and it's like an insane and unending list of titles. I mean, fuck, even Aquaman has two titles these days ? And will they do a book for every Green Lantern ? (no attack intended if you are a fan and read these titles, evidently)

Boy, do I miss comic books.

PS. And on a lighter note, I just read some old issues yesterday. Daredevil Reborn, that was absolutely vain in a 'we got this character down and we need him back for the new series'. Not horrible, just absolutely forgettable.
And then the first two issue of Waid's Daredevil run, and yeah, I can see it being as good as the word of mouth says. Not perfect, but really really well written. I could expand on it but my post must be long enough as it is.

I'd like to think the vast majority of ComicGAF is above such nonsense.
Probably compared to other boards. But that's not a great attitude to take if anyone wants anything to change. like:
My comment had nothing to do with the actual content of the cover. I just find it annoying when people feign offense at stuff like this when it's literally everywhere we look. Video games, magazines, television. Everywhere. The cover itself is fine, even if Starfy's pose is a bit too blatant.

Because certainly no one else has ever sexualized a female comic character before. No need for the faux outrage.
people generally don't try to get outraged by things. If it's everywhere, shit, it must be alright! I was wrong the whole time!

It is nice to see subtle things happen, in the realm of reducing female objectification. Take, for example, Red Sonja. Her covers are still very cheesecake, but in the interiors you're starting to see her dress more reasonably. She wears this full chain shirt more often than not, for example.
From what i've read it's pretty good about not being cheesecake. Even if she wears little clothing, it makes sense for the character, and she's not overly sexualized in it. Like if Ed Benes drew it or whatever

Owzers

Li Kao, I'd start by reading Nextwave: Agents of hate. There is a complete collection tpb with the full 12 issues, you don't need to read anything else along with it to get the story. It's vibrant and fun, easy to get into. I'd also consider getting Marvel Unlimited if you have a tablet, it's like a netflix of marvel comics for an annual or higher priced monthly sub, but new releases are on a 6 month delay typically.

The full Nextwave run, along with many of the best Marvel runs of the last decade, are all up on Marvel Unlimited.

Kipp

Please Messi, no Hawaiian shirts or jorts.

Yeah, don't do that. DO wear only linen though.

So yeah, my incapacity to choose lead me to stop reading, because the selection process was too much trouble. But man do I miss me some of those pleasures you can only have when reading a well written comic book. Some years ago I was having braingasm after another reading things like Y, Fables, Invincible, The Goon, etc...
And when I foolishly think I could maybe re-take this hobby I look at the Preview order form and it's like an insane and unending list of titles. I mean, fuck, even Aquaman has two titles these days ? And will they do a book for every Green Lantern ? (no attack intended if you are a fan and read these titles, evidently)

The way I get around the issue of there being too many comics to choose from is just to completely ignore going through solicits/previews and simply see what stuff gets praised the most in this thread. It helps that I trade-wait too, so I can see what stuff is consistently good/holds up even past initial hype. But yeah, that's worked out quite well for me.

I also don't really go for the gritty stuff, and from the suggestions in this thread, some of my favorite non-gritty comics have been Hawkeye (Fraction), Daredevil (Waid), X-Statix (Milligan), Fear Agent (Remender) just to name a few. I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a lot of other stuff, but those are at least some of the books I've been really impressed with that were praised a lot in here.
Also, because I'm relentless, I'll suggest Frank Miller's Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-First Century. Lighthearted/non-gritty and totally self-contained. And super amazing.

Messi

Absolutely not. But out of curiosity, are you Flo Rida or Fred Durst?

Fuck man... It's like 95-98 in July there. Our average good day is 50 fartingheight

Another basketball related question. Will I be killed for wearing a Dwight Howard Rockets Jersey? He is my favorite player :/

I have a house in orlando. I'd love to go there tho. Where are you?

Is it a fashion faux pa to wear a basketball Jersey with no t-shirt under it?

I live in Tamarac, which is pretty close to Fort Lauderdale. So I'm a few hours away from Orlando.

And people wear jerseys all the time without shirts underneath lol

Zombine

Banned
Fuck man... It's like 95-98 in July there. Our average good day is 50 fartingheight

Haha I know. Must be freaking brutal. There really isn't any issue with it at all. Worst part about Florida is going from AC to AC instead of enjoying the outdoors.

Li Kao

The way I get around the issue of there being too many comics to choose from is just to completely ignore going through solicits/previews and simply see what stuff gets praised the most in this thread. It helps that I trade-wait too, so I can see what stuff is consistently good/holds up even past initial hype. But yeah, that's worked out quite well for me.

Yup, thinking about it it may be one of the things that killed my interest in the hobby (along with ass rape, severed hands and face skinning) a few years ago. When you have troubles selecting what to read, the prospect of having to do it again every month, to sift through hundreds of really enticing covers again, that played a big part in me going 'shit, it's too much trouble than it's worth'.

Messi

50 is considered damn freezing over here. Break out the layers weather

Most of the year it's 40-42 ish.

Haha I know. Must be freaking brutal. There really isn't any issue with it at all. Worst part about Florida is going from AC to AC instead of enjoying the outdoors.

Is this a typo? You meant the best thing is going from AC to AC right? I'm Irish I go red from seeing sunlight. I might melt without ac.

Dwight Howard thing gonna cause me hassle? People still salty?

Zombine

Banned
Is this a typo? You meant the best thing is going from AC to AC right? I'm Irish I go red from seeing sunlight. I might melt without ac.

20140323153250!Olaf_transparent.png

Yup, thinking about it it may be one of the things that killed my interest in the hobby (along with ass rape, severed hands and face skinning) a few years ago. When you have troubles selecting what to read, the prospect of having to do it again every month, to sift through hundreds of really enticing covers again, that played a big part in me going 'shit, it's too much trouble than it's worth'.
I feel you, it's a hard hobby if you can't decide on what to read or if you're limited on funds. I keep my list very small compared to a lot of people here because of my lack of income at the moment, but I still have a huge backlog of trades so it makes things even out I guess.

I usually buy books based off of word of mouth (like Hawkeye or Daredevil) or creators (Uncanny Avengers). Sometimes when a new series is starting I'll do a blind buy and see if I enjoy it, which is how I fell in love with Superior Foes.

Most of the year it's 40-42 ish.
Damn that's crazy. I've lived in Florida my whole life so I'm kinda used to the heat and humidity, anything below 60 is cold to me. I've never even seen snow irl

Marvel Unlimited. Subscribe and binge.

Li Kao

Marvel Unlimited. Subscribe and binge.

Once again I truly appreciate all the advices and the fact that when speaking about my more personal problems I wasn't made fun of. And yup, I'm hovering over the Marvel Unlimited sub. It won't solve the choice problem, but it sure as hell will help the budget one.
This discussion is helpful. There is merits in having an outside view on things. Maybe I could shut down my completist side, just go for some big DC / Marvel titles to satiate it, and enjoy all the titles that really interest me. I mean, when facing the harduous selection of what to read, choosing not to read is an easy but faulty solution.
Maybe I could read what I always loved and follow this thread for advices.
Got other advices ? Keep them coming, I'm loving it.

Kipp

Once again I truly appreciate all the advices and the fact that when speaking about my more personal problems I wasn't made fun of. And yup, I'm hovering over the Marvel Unlimited sub. It won't solve the choice problem, but it sure as hell will help the budget one.
This discussion is helpful. There is merits in having an outside view on things. Maybe I could shut down my completist side, just go for some big DC / Marvel titles to satiate it, and enjoy all the titles that really interest me. I mean, when facing the harduous selection of what to read, choosing not to read is an easy but faulty solution.

If choosing what to read is your main issue, I'd suggest buying trades/OHCs/omnibuses. I'm awful with decisions, so when I start a big omnibus it's kind of nice because every time I decide I want to read comics, I immediately know what I'm going to read: whatever giant omnibus/OHC/collected run I'm in the middle of.
The only downside is that since I stick to one comic at a time, when I finish a comic, it takes me extra long to decide what to read next because I know I'll be reading it for a while. Haha

Edit:
Speaking of giant omnibuses (but otherwise completely irrelevant to the rest of this post), got bored and decided to take a picture of one of my all-time favorite panels. Conan swinging for the fences:

When I was reading that issue in Colossal Conan a little while back, I couldn't help but grin. The context has something to do with the grinning as well, but mostly it's just such an awesome panel. So much energy and weight. And Conan swinging his sword like a baseball bat and going for the home run.

Zombine

Banned
Once again I truly appreciate all the advices and the fact that when speaking about my more personal problems I wasn't made fun of

ComicGAF is awesome. We're not going to make fun of someone for inquiring about where to start or why they left/came back/are confused, or whatever. I definitely think the best thing to do is start slow, look at what we talk about, hit up some previews on comicbookresources.com, and learn to develop what you enjoy.

Owzers

The biggest thing to come to terms with is that you will most likely never read all the comics out there or even all the comics worth reading. If you sign up for Marvel Unlimited, focus on the best there is to offer on the service and make a list of what you've finished and the next two or three things you want to tackle: Nextwave, Runaways by BKV, Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction, Astonishing X-Men by Whedon, Fantastic Four/FF by Hickman, and Uncanny X-Force by Remender. That right there should take you a month or two or more depending on how fast you devour the issues, and none are ridiculously long commitments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom