• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

Picked these up at the library today. Apart from Burma Chronicles and Chew, I am going in blind on the other three. Hope they are good.

I highly recommend that you start Chew from the first volume (Taster's Choice). What you picked up is the seventh volume.

I'm going to hope mine gets some in as well, because I haven't been able to rely on BBTS lately.

I was surprised he got 3. I mean, his store is the only licensed Sideshow Collectible dealer in the Greater Cincinnati area to my knowledge. So his shop is known for having all kinds of figures and statues. Other shop down the street has like 10 statues only. They never get new stuff. Love Comics 2 Games in Florence, KY.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I care. Waid's Daredevil is my current favorite monthly and every issue since 2011 has been phenomenal (well, maybe except for 2 or 3, but that's one helluva track record!). It tugged on my emotions like no other comic has before. That reminds me, I need to rummage through my Marvel digital codes to see what has/hasn't expired and offer them up before they do.

If anyone wants the Marvel digital code to Amazing Spider-Man: Who Am I? #1, first reply to request it gets my PM. I also still have Original Sin #4 that wasn't claimed when I posted it a day or two ago.

Well, thanks for caring! :p
I'm excited that I have so much more to look forward to! (I think I just finished issue #5)

And I'll take that Spider-Man code, if you don't mind! The bank robbing and playfulness reminds me a bit of Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine which I totally loved, so I'm interested.

Edit: Just read it. That was a fun and entertaining quick little read! Thanks for that! Obviously not greatest comic of all time material, but fun stuff. The art was pretty good too.

Kipp

I finished Y The Last Man. Somebody hold me.

355 getting shot
was devastating. I empathize with your sadness. Can't really remember much else about the ending though besides
Yorick being an old guy and Ampersand dying. Okay, Ampersand dying was pretty devastating too.

Edit: Oh hey! Now that you finished Y, you can move on to BKV's Private Eye if you haven't read that yet so that I can read something at the same time as someone else for the first time ever!

Tizoc

8yfuYi0.jpg

Source
http://ricken-art.deviantart.com/art/Ivy-Harley-Bud-and-Lou-297206213

Messi

355 getting shot
was devastating. I empathize with your sadness. Can't really remember much else about the ending though besides
Yorick being an old guy and Ampersand dying. Okay, Ampersand dying was pretty devastating too.

Edit: Oh hey! Now that you finished Y, you can move on to BKV's Private Eye if you haven't read that yet so that I can read something at the same time as someone else for the first time ever!

355 hurt most but fucking hell Amp was hard to take.

Kipp

355 hurt most but fucking hell Amp was hard to take.

Yeah, it was kind of a one-two punch thing. BKV gets you on the ground with 355 dying and then kicks you right in the kidney with Ampersand. Slightly mixed metaphors, but oh well. Haha

Man, I really gotta read Y again sometime.

Just a quick read before Wednesdays onslaught and to knock something off my backlog, I started vol 1 of Talon which was a throw in on an IST order. Story by Snyder, script by Tynion, and art by Guillem March. Story is solid, script is rough around the edges, and the art is stellar. It's an interesting read but for some reason, something is not there. Something is not clicking. I think I just don't care for the character. I'm only 4 issues in to the 8 issue TPB, and it feels like a chore getting through it. Maybe something will change.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just a quick read before Wednesdays onslaught and to knock something off my backlog, I started vol 1 of Talon which was a throw in on an IST order. Story by Snyder, script by Tynion, and art by Guillem March. Story is solid, script is rough around the edges, and the art is stellar. It's an interesting read but for some reason, something is not there. Something is not clicking. I think I just don't care for the character. I'm only 4 issues in to the 8 issue TPB, and it feels like a chore getting through it. Maybe something will change.
I've got a new policy. Anything that says"Story by Scott Snder" but "Words by insertboringfriendwriterhere" I'm avoiding like herpes. Unless it's Tim Seeley, because man, that El Gaucho issue was so good that it's made me a huge fan of his.

I've got a nrw policy. Anything that says"Story by Scott Snder" but "Words by insertboringfriendwriterhere" I'm avoiding like herpes. Unless it's Tim Seeley, because man, that El Gaucho issue was so good that it's made me a huge fan of his.

Funny you say that because Tim Seeley finished up Talons last arc. I just have to get to that point.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Funny you say that because Tim Seeley finished up Talons last arc. I just have to get to that point.
Tell me how it is when you get to it. For now though, Secret Agent Dick is a must pull for my list.

But how many issues before Ellis gets bored and moves on? (I read it, it was a'ight)

Obligatory
thatisapenis
.gif

Six

From the Ellis newsletter
Orders on TREES #2 jumped by 7K after the release of issue one, putting the final order count for that issue at a hair over 30K. We still have, I believe, about 7K copies of the overprint on issue 1 left, but there’s still reorder velocity on that. I’m summoning up my strength now for the final three issues of this run, which will produce a complete book. And then we’ll see if there’s a second book to be done.

SHIELD blah blah blah,
Mystique bought Madripoor, kidnapped Dazzler and kept her drugged so she could harvest MGH (mutant growth hormone) so people could enhance their mutant powers, blah blah blah, Magneto ended up rescuing her... Also, someone haxxxored SHIELD and hijacked Helicarriers and Sentinels to attack the X-men. Turned out it was Dark Beast, of all people. What a letdown that reveal turned out to be. That new mutant who can control machines ended up saving the day.

This one just seemed downright weird.

so the "broken powers" of the phoenix 5 (minus namor, and plus magneto) had nothing to do with the events of AvX, and everything to do with Dark Beast inventing nanotech sentinels out of his ass and infecting them off panel somewhere? Does this seem like an incredibly poorly thought out solution to this plot line to anyone else?

Bii

Six

From the Ellis newsletter

I think I'm going to trade wait that one.

-

Fables #141

14494048083_b02d5a35df_o.jpg

14287330558_d1846119f5_o.jpg
14287287149_514d8eae3c_o.jpg

Gotta say, this is one of the most beautiful covers to have come out recently. I'm totally in love with it. Nimit Malavia nailed this cover just like he did the last one. I did find it strange that they changed the colors of what's shown on their website (http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/fables-2002/fables-141) compared to what we actually got (most notable color change is Rose Red).

We're counting down to the last 10 issues of Fables and I think Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham are bringing back their A-game. Seriously, most of the art panels are very detailed and the plot is moving along quickly. This issue kicks off part 1 of "Happily Ever After" where
Rose Red is amassing an army to do battle with Snow White
. This issue also marks the return of
Bigby, who had died battling Prince Brandish
. Although he/she is not quite themself. Anyway, I'm excited to see how this all plays out for the next year.

14287330008_e3c86a0b7d_o.jpg
14287298540_10efe78c54_o.jpg

Prince of Cats is out of print? Oh shit, just checked ebay--haha. That book is fucking dope as hell, and I doubt you'll see Brooklyn dialect filtered through Shakespearean verse again in a book.
i held off too long :/
Yeah, I had the same feeling. I made it about 5 issues in and never had the desire to continue

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

so the "broken powers" of the phoenix 5 (minus namor, and plus magneto) had nothing to do with the events of AvX, and everything to do with Dark Beast inventing nanotech sentinels out of his ass and infecting them off panel somewhere? Does this seem like an incredibly poorly thought out solution to this plot line to anyone else?

I guessed it would be Dark Beast a few issues back, but the nanomachines thing just felt like Bendis just wrapping up that plotline because he didn't feel like exploring the Phoenix stuff any more.

PsychBat!

Banned

brian_michael_bendis.jpg

Glad you got unbanned. I know which thread you were banned in. Sorry man.

Yes. Yes it does. While I still think Bendis is a good, though extremely formulaic writer, this one seems like a low even for him.

Sanjuro

Beautiful day out, decided to walk to a comic shop that I haven't been to in years. I haven't been buying physical comics in a long time and haven't been up to date in the TMNT IDW series, despite owning every issue of the Mirage series.

But, I couldn't resist picking up this sexy looking Turtles in Time issue. Not familiar with the artist here, but I love the look of the boom. Very calm, easy to read, vibrant, and able to give out different tones when needed.

Took a couple pictures to highlight the difference. I wouldn't call these really spoilers, but some people might be waiting for the issue still.

http://i.imgur.com/DVhM3kt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cc1efXv.jpg

Might be in love.

Beautiful day out, decided to walk to a comic shop that I haven't been to in years. I haven't been buying physical comics in a long time and haven't been up to date in the TMNT IDW series, despite owning every issue of the Mirage series.

But, I couldn't resist picking up this sexy looking Turtles in Time issue. Not familiar with the artist here, but I love the look of the boom. Very calm, easy to read, vibrant, and able to give out different tones when needed.

Took a couple pictures to highlight the difference. I wouldn't call these really spoilers, but some people might be waiting for the issue still.

http://i.imgur.com/DVhM3kt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cc1efXv.jpg

Might be in love.

Bii and you are gonna make my Iphone pictures obsolete.

It wasn't out of anybody's ass except Grant Morrison's. They were a critical component of his New X-Men run.

Sanjuro

I couldn't quite place it before, but the TMNT remind of a Asian inspired Calvin and Hobbes look.

I also got the 1.50 issue of Daredevil thanks to the artwork I saw in here prior. Looks good.

Kipp

Reading Private Eye still... I feel like BKV makes a point to make sure there's a penis in all of his comics.

In any case, Private Eye is still so great. It's kept me glued much more than most comics. It probably helps that its 16:10ish aspect ratio makes it super easy to read at the computer.

Owzers

i stopped buying private eye because i didn't want to sync the comics to my ipad :/

i'd get the trade though it ever came out, or i'll just end up getting the singles sometime....

Kipp

i stopped buying private eye because i didn't want to sync the comics to my ipad :/

i'd get the trade though it ever came out, or i'll just end up getting the singles sometime....

I think it reads really nicely on a computer monitor due to the aspect ratio, so if syncing to your iPad is the main inconvenience, I'd give reading on your computer a shot.

I Found it funny that
Right-clops was correct in blaming beast for all of the resent attacks in his team. It just was an alternate future beast.

Scotts team is getting down right interesting with Dazzler joining up. I also wonder if The other X-men will stop treating him like shit since his quick thinking basically saved the Jean Grey school and everyone in it?

Probably not.

Cheska

I can't quite remember, but how many of you guys are in NorCal? I know sca is, but is anyone else from around this area? We should hit up a few shops and browse around, there's a couple of that have some really nice things like A1 comics and Metropolis comics in Sacramentio, and Fantasy Cards and Games in Livermore, etc :D

Bii

I can't quite remember, but how many of you guys are in NorCal? I know sca is, but is anyone else from around this area? We should hit up a few shops and browse around, there's a couple of that have some really nice things like A1 comics and Metropolis comics in Sacramentio, and Fantasy Cards and Games in Livermore, etc :D

I'm in CenCal. :/

Well, when choosing mystery villains, it may help to at least choose someone people will give a shit about.
Dark Beast
? Man, I thought/hoped that guy was over and done with.

Bendis clearly didn't give a fuck about writing the ending to the storyline, so I'm glad he didn't choose a villain I'd actually care about, like Sinister. Imagine him shitting all over Gillen's fantastic reinvention of the character. *shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom