• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
read the wicked + the divine. seems pretty good, wasn't crying in the first two pages like some gaffers posted, but enough for me to want to see what happens next.

also bonus points for being set in the queen's england.

Speaking of which, I never read issues #13-17 and had bought volume 3 awhile back when the hardcover was only $10 at Amazon after some promotion code.

-

Batman, Vol. 3: Death of the Family

Speaking of this, what is the proper reading order for all of this stuff?

Am I good with just reading this volume (after 1&2, which I have done) or do I need to get the stand alone Death of the Family TPB?

What about the other tie-ins, like Batman and Robin New 52 (which I will eventually get, I think). Isn't the 2nd or 3rd volume of that another DOTF tie in?

Chinner

Banned
lSXY8uM.jpg
62gfCSE.jpg
the cover art of the next two southern bastards is sexy as hell. bonus points for both issues coming out in july too (seeing as we won't get anything in june)

Justice League United #2: I gave up reading it 2/3rds of the way and flipped through the rest, the book really isn't for me. There's not much to say about it, i find everything to be quite bland and the character interactions don't work. Since i didn't like it whoever wants the digital code be the first to quote my post and hope for the best.

Man you are my twin when it comes to this book

That first issue of Evil Empire was ridiculous. There's a whole speech about how people should respect songwriters for their honesty (and it's written by a musician) and apparently wasn't edited because the person who dies is referred to as both a character's wife and daughter in the same issue. And then that final page, good lord. I'm hesitant to call it bad, because despite all that (and average art) I kinda want to keep reading

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I feel ambivalent about Deadly Class. I like the recent development
of the acid trip
but the whole introduction to the world seems rushed. Maybe its just me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
read the wicked + the divine. seems pretty good, wasn't crying in the first two pages like some gaffers posted, but enough for me to want to see what happens next.

also bonus points for being set in the queen's england.

Well the writer is british and this is a personal comic like Phonogram. It would be weird if it didnt.

I didn't really get what was going on to be honest...but I'll be reading #2

Every ninety years, a dozen gods incarnate as humans and then they die two years later. In the meantime, they're treated like pop stars. That's essentially the jist of the series. Of course, from the first issue you can see that comes with a price. There are people who don't believe any of it, and some are downright hostile about it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Every ninety years, a dozen gods incarnate as humans and then they die two years later. In the meantime, they're treated like pop stars. That's essentially the jist of the series. Of course, from the first issue you can see that comes with a price. There are people who don't believe any of it, and some are downright hostile about it.

Also snapping fingers is dangerous.

Messi

So in 2 years time these characters are screwed?

Dead Boy Detectives trade is out this week. For what'll probably be $5 on IST everyone should try it. Loved the first arc.

How many 50% off deals does IST usually have? I'm 100% sure Big Damn Sin City is going to be one, and probably Powers Vol.6 Definitive Edition.

So in 2 years time these characters are screwed?

Well, they die, yes. As do their mortal hosts. Death and rebirth, man. The circle of life.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm pretty excited to finally read Deadly Class, now that the first trade is coming out soon. The first Velvet trade should be relatively soon too, no? Love me some Brubaker!

Finished the crossover issues of Planetary. Didn't really like the authority since I'm unfamiliar with the characters. The JLA crossover issue was ok, although I feel like the role reversal could have been more interesting.

Planetary/Batman was the real star here though. Really a Batman story framed within the Planetary universe it is really a must read for Batman fans (although alot of the nods will be lost if you're unfamiliar with Planetary).

Zombine

Banned
I'm so sorry :( fuck.

Lol that wasn't me telling you not to come. That was me saying that I would be embarrassed to vacation where our defense is god awful. That last minute was just awful.

I've said this since we scored on Ghana; it's just been luck. The entire USA team is fucking trash. I've seen children have better coordination on the field.

Messi

Lol that wasn't me telling you not to come. That was me saying that I would be embarrassed to vacation where our defense is god awful. That last minute was just awful.

I've said this since we scored on Ghana; it's just been luck. The entire USA team is fucking trash. I've seen children have better coordination on the field.

Yeah but you guys have slurpees

Bii

Am I good with just reading this volume (after 1&2, which I have done) or do I need to get the stand alone Death of the Family TPB?

What about the other tie-ins, like Batman and Robin New 52 (which I will eventually get, I think). Isn't the 2nd or 3rd volume of that another DOTF tie in?

As a general rule (for myself), I don't buy tie-ins just for the sake of getting the "whole picture". You can just read volume 3 of Batman (after volumes 1 and 2, which you've done already). But if you really want to read it in order, you're going to have to pick up Batgirl #13-16, Catwoman #13-14, Suicide Squad #14-15, Detective Comics #15-16, Batman and Robin #15-16, Nightwing #15-16, Red Hood and the Outlaws #15-16, and Teen Titans #15-16. And then the reading order moves from series to series, so it's not really worth the time and effort to try and read all the tie-ins in chronological order. It's very rare for a tie-in to become "required" reading for a story/event.

Edit: Actually, The Joker: Death of the Family Companion collects most, if not all of the tie-ins: http://www.amazon.com/dp/140124646X/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Get that if you want a bit more back story of the Bat family during this event. I might pick that up myself.

As far as reading the Death of the Family tie-ins is concerned, all I can say is please don't.

Messi

Wanna read a DotF tie in where Joker beats the shit out Harley Quinn after not seeing her for months? Feel like reading about a terrified Harley? Suicide Squad issues are for you.

My usual rule about tie-ins: Only read them if they are written by the same author or you are already following the series.
There are a few exceptions, of course, but this is a safe (*cheaper*) way of proceeding.

tim1138

Got caught up on B&R heading into Robin Rises, why didn't any of you tell me Doug Mahnke drew the most recent Batman and Frankenstein issue?!

ReAxion

== Marvel ==
All New Doop #3
All New Ghost Rider #4 (on the bubble)
All New Ultimates #4
Amazing Spiderman #3 (maybe)
Avengers Undercover #6
Deadpool vs Carnage #4
Ms Marvel #5
Original Sin #3.1
Original Sins #2

== Image ==
Deadly Class #6
Revival #21
Saga #20
Trees #2

I mentioned wanting to get Phonogram and two of you said vol2 was really good. What about vol1? Is it a prerequisite?

Wanna read a DotF tie in where Joker beats the shit out Harley Quinn after not seeing her for months? Feel like reading about a terrified Harley? Suicide Squad issues are for you.

That shit wasn't even fun to read. Felt like those issues were in poor taste. :(

tim1138

== Marvel ==
All New Doop #3
All New Ghost Rider #4 (on the bubble)
All New Ultimates #4
Amazing Spiderman #3 (maybe)
Avengers Undercover #6
Deadpool vs Carnage #4
Ms Marvel #5
Original Sin #3.1
Original Sins #2

== Image ==
Deadly Class #6
Revival #21
Saga #20
Trees #2

I mentioned wanting to get Phonogram and two of you said vol2 was really good. What about vol1? Is it a prerequisite?

Nah, you can read volume 2 without any knowledge of volume 1. It's a bunch of stand alone stories and works on its own. It's also one of the best things ever. Long live Seth Bingo and the Silent Girl!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Oh geez. Just finished watching the game.

All that time after the 90 minute mark was embarrassing. I actually didn't think they played too badly (well, in comparison to Portugal) except for the time after the 90 minute mark and the first 7 minutes or so, which were both horrific. Those two parts of the game they just looked like a bunch of kids freaking out and kicking the ball anywhere.

But right, comics. Uuhhh. Read a few more issues of Daredevil today.
The one with the snow and the kids was a bit meh compared to the rest of the issues so far.
The Spider-Man team-up issues were some good fun though. I'd like to read some more Mark Waid Spider-Man.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Got caught up on B&R heading into Robin Rises, why didn't any of you tell me Doug Mahnke drew the most recent Batman and Frankenstein issue?!
The 2.5 Batman and Frankenstein issues make a serious case for how great a Bats and Frank ongoing could be. And get Matt Kindt to write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom