• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oops i meant your not our Lol

I sware tragic

Edit: wait i did say your. Damn you JC!

PsychBat!

Banned
Soccer Messi just missed his penalty and Argentina went down to Chile in PKs for the second straight year. It's a very painful deja vu.

2014 - World Cup Finals...lost
2015 - Copa America Finals...lost
2016 - Copa America 100th Anniversary Finals...lost

I'm legit shook right now and need to read comics.

Cl7RIXjWEAAb4mh.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ms. Marvel #1 was really good. I like the new artist (even if I miss the old one, who draws a third of the issue, the pre-time skip part) and story is fun and touching as usual. Also lol at Loki's constructs still hanging around school.

Thats also how she describes your sex life to her friends btw

wsod.gif

9/10. I would have given you a 10/10, but you went with "your."

My wife is legitimately the only person I know who cries every time Argentina loses in a big tournament. I'm a big sports guy, so it hurts, but she gets crushed emotionally. :(

Rhaknar

Well now I feel bad :(

At least you get to finals and dont just choke in semis like we do

VanWinkle

Yeah, now that Hellboy is nearing the end, I want to get through it. The Goon made me realize I like creepy horror-themed books. I never really paif attention to that kimd of stuff before.

Man I'm the exact same way. Had no interest at all before and now I'm actually kind of into it.

Yeah, now that Hellboy is nearing the end, I want to get through it. The Goon made me realize I like creepy horror-themed books. I never really paid attention to that kind of stuff before.

Hellboy is actually over for now, so it's a good time to jump in.

It's not really a creepy series though. There's definite horror influences, especially from Lovecraft for a lot of the monsters like the Ogdru Jahad, but not on the level of being disturbing like Nameless. Still, if you're into monsters and folk tales and whatnot, it's hard not to love it.

You'd probably enjoy BPRD a lot too. It's so good.

Hellboy is actually over for now, so it's a good time to jump in.

It's not really a creepy series though. There's definite horror influences, especially from Lovecraft for a lot of the monsters like the Ogdru Jahad, but not on the level of being disturbing like Nameless. Still, if you're into monsters and folk tales and whatnot, it's hard not to love it.

You'd probably enjoy BPRD a lot too. It's so good.

I didn't mean literally scary, but the horror influences are what I was referring to. It wasn't a comic genre I've paid very much attention to in the past.

BPRD is definitely on my radar, but Hellboy and Usagi are a big chunk of backlog, so I want to finish those first.

Mindwipe

Not being reading many comics this week. Girl stuff/subtle brag.

Thors is the first SWs tie in I actually regret MU waiting on.

Li Kao

No review yesterday. While I indeed read some comics I'm not sure my little reports are so important as to be missed. And let's be honest, not wanting to diss comics but it's not like every book is an 'experience'.
That being said, my last batch was pretty good.

DHahOVE.jpg

House of Penance (2016) #1
Creepy supernatural drama set in the early 1900 America. Interesting, very interesting take on the horror genre, more on the surrealistic side I would say. Nothing horrifying but the mood is definitely unsettling.

PRD0j6P.jpg

Goldie Vance (2016) #1
Fail. I'm all for having a more diverse cast than your regular white male, and that goes for creators too, but... I'm afraid that's the only thing of note here. So yeah, the main character is a young black girl and the cast is a lot more open than you typical comic book, and the authors are all women if memory serves. But like I said, when all is said and done, the actual comics is very weak.

It's a detective mystery
...where the main girl puts the solution out of her ass.
...where a bad thing is put under the rug because the culprit is sympathetic.
...where to solve the main issue the main character steals and put at risk something that is maybe as pricey as the stolen item.

Bland, very bland.

The general setting is interesting, very 50's mood, the gender and race openness is nice, there is nothing despicable here. Problem, there is nothing particularly good either. Incoherent and lazy writing.
Your run of the mill modern all-age comic book.

jWbPr28.png

The Fix (2016) #1
Hmm, I would say... close to perfection ?
I have not read Superior foes and while Ant-Man is really good I have my share of issue concerning the main character, so I can't say I was sold at first glance, but what a fucking impressive showing.
Stellar writing where the author keeps the reader just where he needs him in order to have the best effect. Regularly plays with expectations, a terrific cast of secondary characters, the crime boss scene in particular is sooooo good.
Cons ? Mmh, personally I'm not a crime story fan and the thing is slow paced and wordy (but it's so worth it). More objectively, maybe the narrative trick of setting expectations and pulling the rug under the reader could become tiring ?
Near perfection.

Hey kids, Comics: The Fix (2016) #1
Hey kids, Scimoc: Goldie Vance (2016) #1

tim1138

No review yesterday. While I indeed read some comics I'm not sure my little reports are so important as to be missed. And let's be honest, not wanting to diss comics but it's not like every book is an 'experience'.
That being said, my last batch was pretty good.

DHahOVE.jpg

House of Penance (2016) #1
Creepy supernatural drama set in the early 1900 America. Interesting, very interesting take on the horror genre, more on the surrealistic side I would say. Nothing horrifying but the mood is definitely unsettling.

PRD0j6P.jpg

Goldie Vance (2016) #1
Fail. I'm all for having a more diverse cast than your regular white male, and that goes for creators too, but... I'm afraid that's the only thing of note here. So yeah, the main character is a young black girl and the cast is a lot more open than you typical comic book, and the authors are all women if memory serves. But like I said, when all is said and done, the actual comics is very weak.

It's a detective mystery
...where the main girl puts the solution out of her ass.
...where a bad thing is put under the rug because the culprit is sympathetic.
...where to solve the main issue the main character steals and put at risk something that is maybe as pricey as the stolen item.

Bland, very bland.

The general setting is interesting, very 50's mood, the gender and race openness is nice, there is nothing despicable here. Problem, there is nothing particularly good either. Incoherent and lazy writing.
Your run of the mill modern all-age comic book.

jWbPr28.png

The Fix (2016) #1
Hmm, I would say... close to perfection ?
I have not read Superior foes and while Ant-Man is really good I have my share of issue concerning the main character, so I can't say I was sold at first glance, but what a fucking impressive showing.
Stellar writing where the author keeps the reader just where he needs him in order to have the best effect. Regularly plays with expectations, a terrific cast of secondary characters, the crime boss scene in particular is sooooo good.
Cons ? Mmh, personally I'm not a crime story fan and the thing is slow paced and wordy (but it's so worth it). More objectively, maybe the narrative trick of setting expectations and pulling the rug under the reader could become tiring ?
Near perfection.

Hey kids, Comics: The Fix (2016) #1
Hey kids, Scimoc: Goldie Vance (2016) #1

How's the art in House of Penance? I really like Ian Bertram, but I don't think I ve seen any of the interiors from the book.

shingi70

Banned
Ringside is the most disappointing comic I've rrad in the past six months. Expected a wrestling comic and got a crime story instead.

Rhaknar

Marvel Unlimited Weekly Update:

All New Laura #3
Captain America White Power...wait #5
Carnage: Terrestial Marines #3
Chewbacca Solo #5
CM Drax #2
Canceled Commandos of SHIELD #3
These guys really hate Namor #2
Moon Girl and Dino Friend #2
NU Avengers #4
Patsy Walker Hellkitty #1
Pregnant Spidey #2
Star LOL #2
Average Ant Man #3
Space Panda and her Symbiote sidekick #2

and a bunch old shit nobody cares abo-OH SHIT SON DOC STRANGE AND DOOM TRIUMPH AND TORMENT

mreddie

Marvel Unlimited Weekly Update:

All New Laura #3
Captain America White Power...wait #5 No it's Captain America: Black Power
Carnage: Terrestial Marines #3
Chewbacca Solo #5
CM Drax #2
Canceled Commandos of SHIELD #3
These guys really hate Namor #2
Moon Girl and Dino Friend #2
NU Avengers #4
Patsy Walker Hellkitty #1
Pregnant Spidey #2
Star LOL #2
Average Ant Man #3
Space Panda and her Symbiote sidekick #2 Which is this one?

and a bunch old shit nobody cares abo-OH SHIT SON DOC STRANGE AND DOOM TRIUMPH AND TORMENT

Fixed.

Top Bottom