• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Zombine

Banned
I would also had that the 'nonsense' part of your post is interesting. I remember 'Battle for Bludhaven', completely nonsensical to me, and absolutely wonderful because of it.
There was something so totally pulpy in this strange mix of convoluted backstories and unlikely heroes. Loved it.

The issue moved maybe just a tiny bit too fast, but it sells you this pretty goofy premise better than you would expect it to. It's a relatively dark issue as well. Won't say much more than that, but it definitely sounds like this will be right up your alley.

Green Arrow #1 is one of the best books I've read in a long time. That art is stellar.

Groo and Friends wrapped up nicely with the last four issues. Very well plotted arc. Only concern is that it seems like a farewell of sorts. Hope it isn't.

Four issues into 52, it seems fairly decent at this point. Some threads are a lot more interesting than others (Montoya/Question and Dibny's mystery). Still waiting for the Steel and Black Adam threads to get going. Booster Gold has had a lot of screen time but didn't enjoy it much.

The one nitpick has to be the notes between issues. Some very interesting stuff but random spoilers for events that happen four or five issues down. At least we get this fun excerpt of Rucka getting annoyed with the artists and editors.

etBmALT.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Finally finished Elektra: Assassin. Very good story that is very hard to read. Really hated in the end that it took like four weeks for me.

When I have read Elektra Lives Again I need something light and fun... Superior Foes it will be I think.

I'll have to come back to BP when it's done. There are too many things going on in that book for someone with a memory like mine to follow it issue to issue with that release schedule.

Boogiepop

Continuing on in my backlog, I caught up on the TMNT trades, and holy crap is the whole back half of Vengeance glorious! Just seeing
the whole "rooftop fight with the Shredder" thing redone in such an amazing manner
was freaking awesome!

Also, started iZombie and I'm quite enjoying it so far.

VanWinkle

I decided against re-reading Multiversity, and instead reading the absolute edition of Final Crisis. I'm like 70 or so pages in it, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm actually following it well enough, too. I ASSUME, however, that it just hasn't really brought the crazy yet in this early part, lol.

I had started this on my standard-sized hardcover a while back but I stopped after the first issue for some reason. Guess I wasn't in the mood or something. But anyway, I didn't really think much of JG Jones art in it, UNTIL this absolute edition! The art is just stunning and I love being able to appreciate it fully in this format.

Sou Da

Continuing on in my backlog, I caught up on the TMNT trades, and holy crap is the whole back half of Vengeance glorious! Just seeing
the whole "rooftop fight with the Shredder" thing redone in such an amazing manner
was freaking awesome!

Did you get to the aftermath of that yet?

Vic_Viper

How is Hickman's run on the Ultimates books? Does it toe in with his FF/Avengers/SW stuff? I've been reading his run from the beginning on MU and I'm about half way through his FF stuff and noticed some Ultimates stuff. Is it where the Maker was introduced and is it ok to start from his first book or is there a better starting point?

TheFlow

Banned
I'll have to come back to BP when it's done. There are too many things going on in that book for someone with a memory like mine to follow it issue to issue with that release schedule.
I don't blame you it is a slow burn. I hope it and the vision are collected in a 12 issue hardcover when it is over

JTripper

Is Batman Legacy going to be reprinted anytime soon? I just started Contagion and would like to read Legacy before moving on to confront all of No Man's Land.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is Batman Legacy going to be reprinted anytime soon? I just started Contagion and would like to read Legacy before moving on to confront all of No Man's Land.
Pretty sure they will soon start a reprint. They currently republishing everything.

Will post when I hear something from the upcoming Hachette rerelases when I see it

TheFlow

Banned
was freaking awesome!

Around what issue number is that

And I zombie is what comics is all about crazy fun

How is Hickman's run on the Ultimates books? Does it toe in with his FF/Avengers/SW stuff? I've been reading his run from the beginning on MU and I'm about half way through his FF stuff and noticed some Ultimates stuff. Is it where the Maker was introduced and is it ok to start from his first book or is there a better starting point?

His work on Ultimates is pretty freaking great. Unfortunately, its pretty short and any interesting bits left after him are quickly mishandled by the writers that followed him so just stick to the ones he wrote and stop after the issues he co writes.

If you're somewhat familiar with the basics of the ultimate universe, you should be good to go, and yeah if memory serves me right, thats where the maker is introduced

Vic_Viper

His work on Ultimates is pretty freaking great. Unfortunately, its pretty short and any interesting bits left after him are quickly mishandled by the writers that followed him so just stick to the ones he wrote and stop after the issues he co writes.

If you're somewhat familiar with the basics of the ultimate universe, you should be good to go, and yeah if memory serves me right, thats where the maker is introduced

Ok awesome. Yea I have the original Ultimates book by Millar and read the Ultimate X-Men also but that's about it. Kinda want to go back and read Ultimates 2 but other than that I have no real interest in it accept for the Hickman stuff. His work at marvel seems like one huge saga and I love it. He has built this huge work that you rarely see other authors have the chance to do accept like Morrison at DC. Just like how Hickman's doesn't go so whacked out like Morrison can.

Boogiepop

Around what issue number is that

And I zombie is what comics is all about crazy fun

48-50 is what was in that trade, with 50 being the especially amazing bit. Just some really good comics that impressed me with how much it improved on an iconic bit from classic TMNT.

TheFlow

Banned
48-50 is what was in that trade, with 50 being the especially amazing bit. Just some really good comics that impressed me with how much it improved on an iconic bit from classic TMNT.

nice I own everything up to issue 54-55 I believe? just haven't had the time to sit down and read it all

Green Arrow #1 was definitely good comics but I wish I knew more about who the hell these people are. It made me curious about the N52 run. I actually already own 17-24, might as well read those I guess.

TheFlow

Banned
Green Arrow #1 was definitely good comics but I wish I knew more about who the hell these people are. It made me curious about the N52 run. I actually already own 17-24, might as well read those I guess.

based on solicits, reading Jeff Lemire's run might be needed.

Top Bottom