• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Vyer

It does when you are buying a significant amount..

Cost, yes. Value, no. What DC is offering is a better value per month. That doesn't mean it is automatically going to cost you less vs following a Marvel book in that same month. But if both are books you decide you want and are worth following, DC is giving you a better value.

And yeah, I agree they could get trimmed down pretty quickly, I agree.

frye

The thing about double shipping == better value argument that I'm suspicious of is that it presumes you're getting the same quality of comics, just twice a month. Even setting aside the fact that it's gonna be visually inconsistent even if you take into account the alternating artists (e.g. what happens when one artist falls behind, what happens when both do), Marvel's recent history of double shipping shows that it's a strain on writers as well.

Messi

Cost, yes. Value, no. What DC is offering is a better value per month. That doesn't mean it is automatically going to cost you less vs following a Marvel book in that same month. But if both are books you decide you want and are worth following, DC is giving you a better value.

And yeah, I agree they could get trimmed down pretty quickly, I agree.

Sure more pages for more money. But I have to look at cost, even as someone who spends as much as I do on comics. I just can't justify the amount of series I would want at $6 a month.

The thing about double shipping == better value argument that I'm suspicious of is that it presumes you're getting the same quality of comics, just twice a month. Even setting aside the fact that it's gonna be visually inconsistent even if you take into account the alternating artists (e.g. what happens when one artist falls behind, what happens when both do), Marvel's recent history of double shipping shows that it's a strain on writers as well.

I believe that Harley Quinns writing got worse as they started double shipping. The early issues in that series were much tighter.

Vyer

Sure more pages for more money. But I have to look at cost, even as someone who spends as much as I do on comics. I just can't justify the amount of series I would want at $6 a month.

Sure, and I wouldn't disagree, everyone has to decide on the budget they are looking for; but it is a better value in comparison.

And that could very well be the case, though I don't know that I would assume that there won't be any quality in those titles. Regardless it still will offer a better value if you find a title you enjoy.

RIP TheFlow. That whole "setting goals" thing actually worked. I finished the trades I wanted to and am finally reading two weeks' worth of floppies.

Thunderbolts #2
This issue was better. And now
Crystal's team
showed up, so I'll pick up the third. We'll see how it goes after that.

The Vision #8
Just when you think everything is going fine, shit like this happens. Also odd that no one,
not even Victor, has been addressing Virgina repeating words
. This book keeps bringing it.

Venom: Space Knight #8
New artist! Still solid, though very different from the previous artist. A lot of the very anime-esque "shadows over the eyes when character is pissed or brooding" thing going on with Flash. Which I'm fine with, but just something I noticed. Was not expecting the story to turn into a psychological thriller. Although that might be overstating it. I like the change in tone, is what I'm trying to say.

All-New All-Different Avengers #10
Man I am so much more interested in the Wasp stuff as opposed to the whole Nova stuff. Still, going cosmic is always fun. I also want to take a moment to point out a trait that this book has that really sets it a part from the rest, and that's the fact that these Avengers are poor as hell. It really comes to light this issue more than others, and I really appreciate that a renowned super team is shuffling through scrapyards for their equipment. Barely making it by. It's rather unique, and I just wanted to point that out more, since a lot of people don't.

So long as the quality is good I prefer double ship. I trade wait anyways, so faster trades is always good for me.

Don't have much to worry about, I think only a handful of titles will stay double shipped anyways.

I guess I don't follow that many series so page count doesn't bother me. I can usually read through a trade in a day or two anyway.

Sandfox

I'm not a fan of double shipping because even if I love a book I don't want to be forced to spend more money a month to follow that book and I end up either dropping or falling behind on it. The comic book industry in general is expensive with more quality books shipping than ever so it's getting kinda crazy.

KevinCow

Banned
I read some Moon Knight.

I'm not sure I liked it very much. He doesn't seem like much more than a Batman knockoff. The split personality thing sounded interesting, but none of the issues I read explored that at all. Also, every individual issue was just one self-contained story. There was no overarching story carrying between issues. And I don't feel like one issue is a sufficient amount of space to tell a particularly compelling story. It's a short story at best.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I read some Moon Knight.

I'm not sure I liked it very much. He doesn't seem like much more than a Batman knockoff. The split personality thing sounded interesting, but none of the issues I read explored that at all. Also, every individual issue was just one self-contained story. There was no overarching story carrying between issues. And I don't feel like one issue is a sufficient amount of space to tell a particularly compelling story. It's a short story at best.
Did you read the new run or the Marvel Now Run?

I read some Moon Knight.

Is this Warren Ellis' Moon Knight? I believe Lemire's run is now exploring that aspect of Moon Knight.

The first major run is also a great read, I am in the middle of that right now. Good supporting cast and great art.

Starts in the second half of v1 and goes into v2.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/MOON-KNIGHT-EPIC-COLLECTION-TP-BAD-MOON-RISING/JUL140724

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/MOON-KNIGHT-EPIC-COLLECTION-TP-SHADOWS-OF-MOON/AUG150912

Vic_Viper

Spawn was a huge part of my childhood in the 90s and pretty much got me interested in comics again after seeing the cover of issue 77. My mom actually brought me into a comic shop randomly and got me it with a poster without me even knowing. Then I found a huge 12" statue at a KB Toys going out of business for like 10$ of the Spawn with Angel Wings lol.

Been pretty interested in going back and reading from the beginning after finding out about their Origins Deluxe Editions. Wish they would do a reprint of the first two though because I don't want to buy the 3rd and 4th volumes without them.

Anyone know which arcs are pretty good now a days? I seem to remember the stories not really going anywhere at the time when I was reading and dropped off quite fast since I was too young at the time.

Owzers

It's fucking terrible, you can tell this about 20 minutes in.

I hated it.

I can't judge things so quickly!

I caved and looked at some e3 leaks on the gaming side, xbox slim look, a game. Booo spoilers but it doesn't count if you're not buying an xbox anyways. Sony conference spoiler-free for tomorrow.

Edit: Okay Zoolander 2 is bad.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I can't judge things so quickly!

I caved and looked at some e3 leaks on the gaming side, xbox slim look, a game. Booo spoilers but it doesn't count if you're not buying an xbox anyways. Sony conference spoiler-free for tomorrow.

Edit: Okay Zoolander 2 is bad.

#LashleyWasRight

Hagi

I started reading Stray Bullets and wow it's certainly something else. The first issue is raw, crazy and just builds up in a way I wasn't really prepared for. Damn this is good comics.

Messi

TheFlow has purchased Overwatch (PS4).

We did it, fam.

tiYwvhH.gif

I usually have talk radio or a podcast I'm not particularly invested in or an older episode of a better one. Since I read at my desk alot these days, sometimes whatever Twitch stream I have open at the time as well. But I even sleep with the radio on, so YMMV.

Just finished Flashpoint. Gonna head towards Justice League (N52) and Batman (N52) next. Should I read one before the other? Should I read the TPB volums in tandem?

Just finished Flashpoint. Gonna head towards Justice League (N52) and Batman (N52) next. Should I read one before the other? Should I read the TPB volums in tandem?

They don't cross over so read them whatever order you like.

Forever Evil does cross into JL around issue 20, and so does trinity war at issue 18 & Throne of Atlantis at 15. So it's something like vol 1 -> vol2 -> throne of atlantis tp -> trinity war tp -> vol 5/forever evil -> vol 6, 7, Darkseid War, Power of the Gods, Darkseid War TP 2

Also Curse of Shazam was a backup story to the JL issues at the time, one of the best stories in new 52 as well.

They don't cross over so read them whatever order you like.

Forever Evil does cross into JL around issue 20, and so does trinity war at issue 18 & Throne of Atlantis at 15. So it's something like vol 1 -> vol2 -> throne of atlantis tp -> trinity war tp -> vol 5/forever evil -> vol 6, 7, Darkseid War, Power of the Gods, Darkseid War TP 2

Also Curse of Shazam was a backup story to the JL issues at the time, one of the best stories in new 52 as well.

Oh, cool. Thanks! I was only planning on reading Justice League and Batman.

However, Shazam seems like it could be cool. The Shazam kids seemed like a nice little group in Flashpoint.

Read some more Goon. Man, this series is great. I think I have about 100 pages left in this volume, but it's a little deceptive because this Dark Horse paper is so thick. Dat quality.

I feel like that all the time. But I've never won enough to get get punished for it.

It definitely feels lke it might be a thing. You lose a bunch of matches, then you suddenly steamroll over people. It doesn't make sense.

More importantly, that new Mass Effect trailer has me hyped. But they should have shown more alien waifus.

I started reading Stray Bullets and wow it's certainly something else. The first issue is raw, crazy and just builds up in a way I wasn't really prepared for. Damn this is good comics.

great post

also how come these niggas really showed like 20 seconds of Mass Effect gameplay after a full year

like are you for real b

Just picked up Flash (N52) #1-52 on Comixology because they're all $0.99, which makes them cheaper then the graphic novels.

Has the Batman (N52) gone on sale yet due to the Rebirth Sale that Comixology is doing?

Owzers

It definitely feels lke it might be a thing. You lose a bunch of matches, then you suddenly steamroll over people. It doesn't make sense.

More importantly, that new Mass Effect trailer has me hyped. But they should have shown more alien waifus.

I want to get Mass Hyped but it's not coming for a long time and the series fizzled out a bit for me.

Top Bottom