• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

First off, this crossover was trash so I don't see the point of fans being up in arms (are they?) or Priest getting defensive (which he is). Maybe write a better story and earn the criticism.

Two very weird things stand out in this reaction:

Never go full Bendis.

Yeah, comic readers do expect general continuity and for writers to know WTF they're talking about. If this is your own intellectual property, do whatever you want with it. If you're picking up licensed characters, knowing a bit about them is kind of fucking important. Saying you don't have time to read what came before, even just months before, strikes me as pretty damn lame.

I'm no purist. I'm happy with new and different takes on characters. Comic continuity is a mess, sure. Let's not keep adding to that with ignorance or disregard to what's come before doesn't help. I don't take on a new project and enter it with willful ignorance. Wasn't Rebirth about getting back to the aspects of these characters we like?

Not liking Grayson is fine. Going full strawman to explain your dislike is not. Grayson has plenty of flaws and shortcomings. Priest might know that if he, you know, read the comics.

I have always wondered how much of a responsibility the editor has with situations like this. I somewhat agree about a writer not having reading everything out there (though I don't know - a lot of fans are able to keep up while still holding a full time job). But if the tone of a character completely differs from any other ongoing runs, should the editor step in and say something?

Yeah, it looks great. The last 50 or so pages has the best art, IMO. The beginning is great, the end is amazing, and the middle is pretty good.

I'm really feeling it, I like that it's presented by the narrator like a myth being told. I'm probably going to get through as much as I can tonight lol no hope pacing it.

It really makes me want some sort of book set on Themyscira too, either a Young Diana or even modern book really centred on how people survive and thrive on an island full of such mysterious wonders and dangers. It's such a cool setting and culture beyond Diana's place and relation to it.

Zombine

Banned
Saw Wonder Woman on Thursday, and I can say that I honestly want to see it again. I've been keeping myself content by catching up on the rebirth series and reading through the Wonder Woman Perez omni's.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I knew it was familiar.

86be43cc49d39bba3bf73d46de11545c.jpg

STL036636

Images are too big codes makes it more manageable while allowing someone to quote them. plus we had a neogaf tips a while ago.

It doesn't play that nicely when you have pics and gifs turned off for data purposes unfortunately. When. I click show, it adds an extra step by booting me to a new tab with a bunch of code gibberish everytime that I have to get rid of.

Not that it's a problem, I just don't bother clicking haha but it is a thing I've noticed.

Saw Wonder Woman on Thursday, and I can say that I honestly want to see it again. I've been keeping myself content by catching up on the rebirth series and reading through the Wonder Woman Perez omni's.

It's definitely one of my favorite comic movies. Glad to hear they're already planning a sequel.

Man, each issue of of this book is super chunky! I just got to the end of #3 I think, Diana
just washed up in Boston.
I'll probably stop there for the night, but really fantastic. I was a touch worried that there would be some awkward translation with the book, given it was original a digital thing, in terms of panel layout and gutter loss etc but not at all, I wouldn't have been able to tell if I hadn't known.

I convinced my partner to let me take her to WW haha so we're going to go during the week, looking forward to it.

did anyone notice that DC has raised the prices of their physical books by a dollar.

I noticed that Batman, aquaman, superman, and others are now 4 dollars. Yet they have no digital code. They really want people to go digital huh?

Once you have the top spot, you start to make bad decisions. This is why the Big Two pendulum works.

Christopher Priest's reaction to the fans criticism of the recent crossover
http://lamerciepark.com/wp/?p=606

I agree with him to a point.

With all possible respect to my friend Tim Seely, my former mentor Marv Wolfman, Devin Grayson, Geoff Johns and others, I find Dick Grayson to be the most boring Wonder Bread boilerplate character ever to pull on spandex. That’s just me. Tens of thousands of fans are *rabid* Dick Grayson fans. For the life of me, I couldn’t explain why. Grayson, in his various iterations, seems, to me, the ultimate expression of what I’m being harangued about around the web: the flattened-out character whose dealt with all of his shortcomings and character flaws. I see Grayson and I wonder, “And now what?”

It's the Superman dilemma. "What now?" is I want writers who are better than I to come up with creative situations and put Dick Grayson, a fictional person who is better than I am, in them. I want to see how a hero deals with those issues. I want to know how Dick Grayson handles certain moral dilemmas. With characters like this, you test them with hard choices.

skybald

So what does everyone think is going to happen in The Walking Dead? The up coming covers and preview by lines make it seem like something nuts is going to go down

They seem to be going for the smaller trim size HC "omnibuses" even for next few BPRD volumes (Hell On Earth, Abe Sapien, etc). So I don't see Hellboy LE sized ones anytime in the near future.

I don't think it'll ever happen. Every indication and discussion with Scott Allie, who sheperds all this stuff, has always been in terms of the BPRD Plague Of Frogs style *omnibus*. There's a very conscious effort to create the storylines and pace the various side series so that they could potentially be given the omnibus treatment, but even then it's not a lock. I know they went back and forth on doing Abe, and who knows when and if stuff like Lobster, Witchfinder etc will get there. My gut feel is most of them will, if only to eventually replace the 60 odd individual trades with fewer and chunkier paperbacks, as with Plague Of Frogs (where I believe the old individual trades have been liquidated now), but that some of those side books would probably get quite low print runs in HC. It's a good way of future proofing the line and simplifying the offering and price points but unless Mike drew it, there doesn't seem to be a will or want for LEs.

Just to keep editing, since I've adjusted this post half a dozen times now so why not, I'll say as well that it's a real shame that DH don't appear to want to go bigger. Mike is a true legend, and of course sales determine that is viable, but there is some down right incredible art that gone on in the BPRD books, is still going on, and all the smaller sub series. Going back to all of Guy Davis' stuff, Tyler Crook, James Harren, Lawrence Campbell on BPRD. The Fiumara bros on Abe, Ben Stenbeck, Tonci Zonjic on osme of the other books. Just mindblowing stuff and you still can't find most of these guys at the big two.

I have always wondered how much of a responsibility the editor has with situations like this. I somewhat agree about a writer not having reading everything out there (though I don't know - a lot of fans are able to keep up while still holding a full time job). But if the tone of a character completely differs from any other ongoing runs, should the editor step in and say something?

I'd say at least bring it up so the author knows and confirm they're making a conscientious decision to break with history.

What I found silly about Priest's argument is that writers don't have time to read what came before. It feels like justification for laziness. Read a fucking synopsis. Have your publisher give you the breakdown. Ask questions. Do some damn research.

Be a professional. You're being paid to write a property that people care about. Put your spin on it and do your thing, but at least be familiar with what you're deviating from.

Arguing you don't have enough time is hollow, and makes it sound like you view writing comics as a secondary hobby instead of a job.

----------

On a completely different note, Rucka Woman #23 was freaking awesome. Amazing payoff. I love how Rucka is pulling all this together. Onto the annual.

dan2026

I'd say at least bring it up so the author knows and confirm they're making a conscientious decision to break with history.

What I found silly about Priest's argument is that writers don't have time to read what came before. It feels like justification for laziness. Read a fucking synopsis. Have your publisher give you the breakdown. Ask questions. Do some damn research.

Be a professional. You're being paid to write a property that people care about. Put your spin on it and do your thing, but at least be familiar with what you're deviating from.

Arguing you don't have enough time is hollow, and makes it sound like you view writing comics as a secondary hobby instead of a job.

What got me is that it wasn't enough that he is spouting all these excuses for his laziness. But that he then went on to rag on a load of other characters.

Seriously dude just own up you made a mistake and leave it.
He just comes of as a whiny moron.

Ten minutes on wikipedia or comicvine or something would catch him up mostly.
No time my balls.

What got me is that it wasn't enough that he is spouting all these excuses for his laziness. But that he then went on to rag on a load of other characters.

Seriously dude just own up you made a mistake and leave it.
He just comes of as a whiny moron.

lol Christopher Priest is a "whiny moron".

jesus do we ever have the comics we deserve

Sandfox

I feel like he should be expected to at least read Titans and Teen Titans or at least know how the characters are currently being written before writing the crossover. Plenty of writers at least keep track of what's going on in the line they are writing for.

Hey ComicsGAF, does anyone have any of the Mezco One:12 line of figures? I'm thinking about picking up The Flash but I'm curious about quality.

VanWinkle

How was The Legend of Wonder Woman originally packaged? These pages feel like they were originally split in two or something. Was this 27 "books"?

It was a digital-first series. They are presented in ~20 half-page "pages". Once three of them released, they would be combined into a ~30 page physical single issue.

Top Bottom