• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

I read Vision vol 1.

This is pretty excellent. Some high praise: every piece of craft in this comic elevates the other.

Although I do think King is biting Alan Moore's style so hard he's gonna leave a mark.

Hey guys, I haven't read for a few pages so forgive me if this has been asked: but is anyone else having trouble with the Amazon sale? I bought one volume successfully, and it showed up on my comixology account. But now when I try to get more it just says that I don't have a kindle connected to my Amazon account. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sandfox

Hey guys, I haven't read for a few pages so forgive me if this has been asked: but is anyone else having trouble with the Amazon sale? I bought one volume successfully, and it showed up on my comixology account. But now when I try to get more it just says that I don't have a kindle connected to my Amazon account. Has this happened to anyone else?

You have to download the kindle app on your computer or mobile device.

I agree with him to a point.

It's the Superman dilemma. "What now?" is I want writers who are better than I to come up with creative situations and put Dick Grayson, a fictional person who is better than I am, in them. I want to see how a hero deals with those issues. I want to know how Dick Grayson handles certain moral dilemmas. With characters like this, you test them with hard choices.
This is exactly how I felt about it. I agreed, to a degree, that fans can be way overblown as for their reactions, but criticism is still criticism.

You have to download the kindle app on your computer or mobile device.

Thanks! I've now bought 4 volumes of both X-Men Legacy and Silver Surfer, and volume 1 of A Force. Hopefully the sale will role on tomorrow and I can get more goodies. But, as it is now, I'm stoked.

I loved moments like this in the book.

I hated almost everything else Simone did with Bane, a lot of writers did the same. They looked at him and thought of him as being nothing more than a muscle bound goon who got lucky against Batman instead of a real threat. The man is actually quite smart, understands many languages and can plan strategy rather well. It wasn't until the previous Batman trilogy that some writers wised up and understood there actually was some *gasp* depth to him. That he could be more than MUSCLED RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Video games like the Arkham series even did the same. A shame.

That's pretty much a massive point in Simone's run, though. Bane has a lot to him, and it's really the Venom that fucks with him. That's the whole point of the scene we see where he inevitably does take the Venom: he goes into full berserker mode.

Saw Wonder Woman today with my mom and girlfriend. We all loved it.

Gonna have to jump into rebirth Wonder Woman. Read the first issue from FCBD and it looks good.

VeeP

Christopher Priest's reaction to the fans criticism of the recent crossover
http://lamerciepark.com/wp/?p=606

I agree with him on Wally. It's good to add wrinkles, drama, etc into characters lives.

What's not okay is reverting characters and ruining previous character development that's been established by other authors. Seriously, how many times does Damien need to become a jerk again before he grows as a character, and then a writer comes and ignores all that?!

If you wanted Damien to ruin Wally's heart, at least make it so that's the only choice that was left, and let him show some remorse on it.

Lazarus Contract was poorly written, and now I know why at least.

Saw Wonder Woman today with my mom and girlfriend. We all loved it.

Gonna have to jump into rebirth Wonder Woman. Read the first issue from FCBD and it looks good.

Yeah, how fantastic was the
No Man's Land scene? Probably one of my favorite comic movie scenes ever.

It got me in the mood to catch up on WW Rebirth, which I stopped buying 5 or 6 issues ago.

Sandfox

I agree with him on Wally. It's good to add wrinkles, drama, etc into characters lives.

What's not okay is reverting characters and ruining previous character development that's been established by other authors. Seriously, how many times does Damien need to become a jerk again before he grows as a character, and then a writer comes and ignores all that?!

If you wanted Damien to ruin Wally's heart, at least make it so that's the only choice that was left, and let him show some remorse on it.

Part of the problem people had with
Wally is that they felt he was written as a coward.

Man, I hope she stays on for variants after #25:
nbuioqxf0g1z8oo8m.jpg

caliph95

He's a jerk in Super sons but not as bad as he was here even in Teen titans from waht i read he is not as big of a dick

ElNarez

Banned
The Lazarus Contract was basically a 2-issue storyline by Priest in Deathstroke and the Annual, with Titans and Teen Titans as tie-ins to explain how their characters got here. And it was a great bit of superhero nonsense, that dealt once again with Deathstroke being unable to understand the world beyond being a supervillain meathead mercenary dipshit.

It also had what I am almost certain
Jackson and Wally being left behind
was a dig at how corporate comics tend to fuck over legacy characters when they're PoC, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

caliph95

The Lazarus Contract was basically a 2-issue storyline by Priest in Deathstroke and the Annual, with Titans and Teen Titans as tie-ins to explain how their characters got here. And it was a great bit of superhero nonsense, that dealt once again with Deathstroke being unable to understand the world beyond being a supervillain meathead mercenary dipshit.

It also had what I am almost certain
Jackson and Wally being left behind
was a dig at how corporate comics tend to fuck over legacy characters when they're PoC, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Pretty much, guess they just needed a crossover but you could have done the whole thing in Priest's Deathstroke and not miss anything, the titans stuff feels like fluff

Would rather read priest comics than most of big two output

Amen. You can get his Black Panther run for like $20 on that sale. That's like 40 issues or something. No excuse at all to have not read such a fantastic and influential run, nor to cast aspersions on the guy over a blog post instead of his work.

But that's comics for you.

Baltimore: The Plague Ships (v1) was a decent introduction to the series. Some great art and colouring and a clear cut path laid down for the main character. But it didn't feel like it had enough substance for five issues. Maybe two or three. Or it could have been split into prologues for the later arcs and volumes. Some amazing visuals in the island part of the arc though.

Baltimore: The Curse Bells (v2) definitely fixes that issue. A well paced arc and integrates the main quest into the self contained story in a great way. The reborn witch was creepy as fuck!

Interesting that you have a character (Duvic) essentially mopping up any survivors of Baltimore's journey. You think they've escaped Baltimore's curse and then, bam, The Inquisition!

Duvic is definitely an interesting character in the story. Baltimore (the book itself) is very much about the kind of doomed hero trope. Doomed to his fate, dooming those who are unfortunate enough to come into contact with him despite his intentions and it's interesting to think of that trope in terms of Duvic, as well as Baltimore. Duvic very much considers himself to be the hero right?

Duvic is definitely an interesting character in the story. Baltimore (the book itself) is very much about the kind of doomed hero trope. Doomed to his fate, dooming those who are unfortunate enough to come into contact with him despite his intentions and it's interesting to think of that trope in terms of Duvic, as well as Baltimore. Duvic very much considers himself to be the hero right?

Oh yea, definitely.

Yeah, how fantastic was the
No Man's Land scene? Probably one of my favorite comic movie scenes ever.

It got me in the mood to catch up on WW Rebirth, which I stopped buying 5 or 6 issues ago.

Yeah, that scene was amazing. Gal really made me love Wonder Woman. I love how she just will not be told what to do. And not because she's some stubborn rebel, but because she cares so much. And because she's trusts herself more than anyone else. The best! <3

Voror

Wondering if someone can answer this for me: DC is doing Deluxe Hardcovers with the first two volumes of several of the DC Rebirth books. Will they continue collecting them like that in addition to the trades or will only those first two volumes be collected as such?

gabbo

Wondering if someone can answer this for me: DC is doing Deluxe Hardcovers with the first two volumes of several of the DC Rebirth books. Will they continue collecting them like that in addition to the trades or will only those first two volumes be collected as such?

Wait, they're collecting Rebirth in hc? like across the board or just certain books?

Okay, so here come my thoughts on The Spire. First of all, I loved it. I fell deeper into the world as the series went on. I can easily say that I've never been more intrigued by a book. With each issue I was increasingly desperate to know the mystery surrounding the events.

I'm going to compare this to Six Gun Gorilla a bit because it's by the same creative team and many of you have read it. My one complaint about The Spire is how I felt at the end, which I'll spoiler tag.
I felt sad. And deflated. There is no good here. Everyone I'd grown to love dies, except Sha, though she loses everything anyway. And the younger sibling becomes Barron and that can only be so good. I mean... She doesn't seem the leading type. So I don't really hold out a ton of hope for the city.

Compare this to SGG. I was not sad when
Blue, who I totally related to, died at the end.
It was fitting. It felt right. And there was just no other way to go, really. But in the Spire I was bummed. Doesn't tarnish my opinion of the book, though. The book is brilliant. And I did enjoy it very much along the way.

Last thing I'll say is that I found it interesting that Spurrier chose to have Sha
transition, as it were, from male to female. (I am female-to-male transgender, for those who don't know). I remember reading in some new age-y Shirley MacLaine book a million years ago that some people believe gay people were the opposite gender in a past life. And that their attraction to the same sex is carryover from that. I wonder if that's the sort of theory Spurrier was playing with when it came to Sha.

Great book. I'll read it again soon.
But not too soon.

I'm reading Alias for the first time. Captain America's identity is "secret"?? Was it back then? I didn't realize that was ever the case.
Yeah it was. Wigged me out when I read that for the first time, because it had been so long since I read anything with him having a secret identity that I actually forgot about it.

Messi

OHCs for Rebirth

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
JLA
Batman
Green Arrow
Superman
Harley Quinn
Nightwing
Flash
Suicide Squad
Action comics
Justice league
Aquaman

Trinity is also getting hardcovers but I'm unsure if it's OHC

Voror

Wait, they're collecting Rebirth in hc? like across the board or just certain books?

It seems like most though there are some exceptions like the Green Lantern Books so not sure what's up with those or if they'll get ones down the line.

OHCs for Rebirth

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
JLA
Batman
Green Arrow
Superman
Harley Quinn
Nightwing
Flash
Suicide Squad
Action comics
Justice league
Aquaman

Trinity is also getting hardcovers but I'm unsure if it's OHC

Ah thank you, there are some there I wasn't aware were getting some.

Okay, so here come my thoughts on The Spire. First of all, I loved it. I fell deeper into the world as the series went on. I can easily say that I've never been more intrigued by a book. With each issue I was increasingly desperate to know the mystery surrounding the events.

I'm going to compare this to Six Gun Gorilla a bit because it's by the same creative team and many of you have read it. My one complaint about The Spire is how I felt at the end, which I'll spoiler tag.
I felt sad. And deflated. There is no good here. Everyone I'd grown to love dies, except Sha, though she loses everything anyway. And the younger sibling becomes Barron and that can only be so good. I mean... She doesn't seem the leading type. So I don't really hold out a ton of hope for the city.

Compare this to SGG. I was not sad when
Blue, who I totally related to, died at the end.
It was fitting. It felt right. And there was just no other way to go, really. But in the Spire I was bummed. Doesn't tarnish my opinion of the book, though. The book is brilliant. And I did enjoy it very much along the way.

Last thing I'll say is that I found it interesting that Spurrier chose to have Sha
transition, as it were, from male to female. (I am female-to-male transgender, for those who don't know). I remember reading in some new age-y Shirley MacLaine book a million years ago that some people believe gay people were the opposite gender in a past life. And that their attraction to the same sex is carryover from that. I wonder if that's the sort of theory Spurrier was playing with when it came to Sha.

Great book. I'll read it again soon.
But not too soon.
Glad you liked it too! I was really curious to see what you thought of the
transition plot with Sha considering your own experience. I don't know the feeling firsthand but I thought it was handled very well.
Great comic all around.

Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! It really is a fantastic book, most likely my favourite thing I've read this year so far. I do totally agree the ending is quite sad, it's a tough one to swallow,. Ty and myself were discussing this a bit last month, and not to be lazy, but I thought I summed up my thoughts quite concisely in one post that I was quite pleased with lol so I'll drop that in here as a link but yea. There's no getting away from how sad it is, but it feels well *right* and complete as a thought.
When Pug dies :( omg

Click

gabbo

It seems like most though there are some exceptions like the Green Lantern Books so not sure what's up with those or if they'll get ones down the line.

Ah thank you, there are some there I wasn't aware were getting some.

I'm most interested in the Watchmen aspects, and how it all ties together. Is there like a certain set of books I should look into? I've basically kept myself out of DC side from Black Canary

Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! It really is a fantastic book, most likely my favourite thing I've read this year so far. I do totally agree the ending is quite sad, it's a tough one to swallow,. Ty and myself were discussing this a bit last month, and not to be lazy, but I thought I summed up my thoughts quite concisely in one post that I was quite pleased with lol so I'll drop that in here as a link but yea. There's no getting away from how sad it is, but it feels well *right* and complete as a thought.
When Pug dies :( omg

Click

Thanks for linking your comment. I'll check it out.

And, yeah. So much sad for
Pug. He was by far my fav. I liked how he really was what he was. A gross, socially clueless chatterbox. But he was also earnest and brave and a damn good cop!
So to me it wasn't so much a case of rising above your capabilities as an example of the full expanse of quality and character people (or creatures) are capable of.

Top Bottom