• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

250px-Marville_%28comics%29_1.jpg

Or for a more modern reference....

dd7b451f8d2ff4250d092f327e83f584.jpg

At least we won't have to say "the comic Lazarus, not the event Lazarus" thanks to the break? :p

Mad at my credit card suddenly not being accepted by PSN days before the end of the "Spend 50, get 10" deal. Sleep now~

It's one of the best Image books of all time

Totally agree!

I really liked that BQM run of Batgirl, it hit a really good tone.

About to watch Arrival. Managed to avoid all spoilers in this one, I remember almost nothing about the trailer except it reminded me of Trees a little. Should be good!

About to watch Arrival. Managed to avoid all spoilers in this one, I remember almost nothing about the trailer except it reminded me of Trees a little. Should be good!

Oh I hope you like it. Really great that you are going in fresh (as I did). I loved it but many of my friends did not, finding it merely okay, so I'm eager to hear what you think of it!

ElNarez

Banned
Inhumans Prime actually works, because it has one clear story thread which allows it to touch on the big changes to the status quo of the Inhumans without feeling forced. Not only that, but it does so while remaining true to the characters' voices (or lack thereof) and by acknowledging their history. (The fact that it's at its most blatant in a page that's just A Young Avengers Callback is of course, my favorite thing)

Of course the back half looks like shit and putting it after Ryan Sook does not do it any favors, but that's deadlines for you, right?

Anyway, the key is clarity, and what that says is "maybe don't put three writers each trying to do their own thing to do your big Primer on the new shit because the changes in quality are jarring, the interludes kill whatever momentum your story had dead, and they force you to repeat your points a lot". For instance, the Greg Pak parts of X-Men Prime are fairly obvious to suss out, from both context clues and the fact they're good.

See I can do thoughts, but sometimes ya gotta go fast because I still haven't read the new Unfollow that's on my desk.

Also the the problem with stuff like Lazararus with the long wait with all the tv ans comics i watch and read because i'm a geek it hard for me to remember details and basically spend half the time trying to remember and hope the wiki is updated (spoilers: it never is)

I struggle with that too. I have started taking notes on some books.

Fortunately Lazarus has been doing detailed recap pages which really help alleviate the problem

I still say it's worth it in the end because it will always be a great book to recommend or go back and read again once it's finished. I do kinda hope they can wrap it up in three or four arcs once they come back to it.

Lazarus #26 comment, major spoiler:
The moment they kissed I knew Joacquim was going to betray Forever. Didn't think it would happen so quickly, but given the break ahead I am glad they didn't leave it dangling

ElNarez

Banned
OH YEAH ALSO: X-Men Prime does the double shitty thing of
having the "we're not mutants, we're heroes, that's the one thing about our shared identity, not the whole thing that gets us hated and feared and persecuted" part of the Havok speech from Uncanny Avengers, but this time it's KITTY GODDAMN PRYDE saying it, which, that's just insult to injury.

caliph95

Inhumans Prime actually works, because it has one clear story thread which allows it to touch on the big changes to the status quo of the Inhumans without feeling forced. Not only that, but it does so while remaining true to the characters' voices (or lack thereof) and by acknowledging their history. (The fact that it's at its most blatant in a page that's just A Young Avengers Callback is of course, my favorite thing)

Of course the back half looks like shit and putting it after Ryan Sook does not do it any favors, but that's deadlines for you, right?

Anyway, the key is clarity, and what that says is "maybe don't put three writers each trying to do their own thing to do your big Primer on the new shit because the changes in quality are jarring, the interludes kill whatever momentum your story had dead, and they force you to repeat your points a lot". For instance, the Greg Pak parts of X-Men Prime are fairly obvious to suss out, from both context clues and the fact they're good.

See I can do thoughts, but sometimes ya gotta go fast because I still haven't read the new Unfollow that's on my desk.
It helps that one book has Al Ewing, marvel's new treasure and the other has Pak write a few pages for Weapon X

Sandfox

OH YEAH ALSO: X-Men Prime does the double shitty thing of
having the "we're not mutants, we're heroes, that's the one thing about our shared identity, not the whole thing that gets us hated and feared and persecuted" part of the Havok speech from Uncanny Avengers, but this time it's KITTY GODDAMN PRYDE saying it, which, that's just insult to injury.

Kitty's speech was about taking Xavier's dream and building on it and showing the world that they are heroes, while the problem people had with Havok's speech is that he rejected his identity as a mutant and pretty much compared bring called a mutant to being called the n word. People didn't have a problem with the paetr of the speech you are referencing.

ITSMILNER

What's the general consensus of the Ultimate Marvel line? I picked up a few Ultimate Marvel TPB's (Ultimate Spider-Man first 6 volumes, Ultimates and Ultimates 2, Ultimate X-Men first 4 volumes, Ultimate Galactus trilogy) and I'' planing to start reading through them but I've heard mixed things regarding some of the events.

Is it worth reading through the line?

caliph95

What's the general consensus of the Ultimate Marvel line? I picked up a few Ultimate Marvel TPB's (Ultimate Spider-Man first 6 volumes, Ultimates and Ultimates 2, Ultimate X-Men first 4 volumes, Ultimate Galactus trilogy) and I'' planing to start reading through them but I've heard mixed things regarding some of the events.

Is it worth reading through the line?
General consensus is that while it has edgy stuff some people don't like it starts well and good and basically fell off when Loeb took over i think around Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum except for stufflike Hickman's stuff and Ultimate Spiderman

jurgen

Quick thoughts on some books that don't end in Prime for the day.

Justice League of America #3 Showing definite signs of improvement. Cast still needs fleshing out though. Orlando writes such a good Lobo.

Infamous Iron Man #6 Bendis is trying and failing to do two different things with this book. 1) Write Doom. 2) Write magic and future-tech ala Elllis. I've decided I'm going to have to look back at this entire Iron Man run the same way I did his X-Men run and ignore it.

Thunderbolts #11 It felt like Zub was dealt a losing hand with this book from the start but this is kind of a clever issue.

Titans Annual #1 Really good book. Abnett should eventually take over one of the Justice League books.

ElNarez

Banned
It's not actually cancelled, if you don't click the things. It's just being resolicited later. Which, hey, considering the delays, might as well.

Top Bottom