• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Yea, I would say Aaron is their top stud right now. It could of been King marvel, it could of been King! The only Marvel books I've read in the last year were all either by Aaron, Lemire & King and two of them are gone now so yea, relaunch will be interesting.

I mentioned it a few months ago, but my commission from Ray Fawkes finally came in. He drew Liz from Hellboy for me:

Love it. Really happy with how it turned out.

ILOVEIT.

That's so cool man. Plus, you know when his new ongoing at Image gets cancelled for being SUPER weird, you're helping out with that commission.

He had some worrying ties to alt right propaganda groups too. In most cases, I let the writing speak for itself, but there was a lot of weird shit circling that guy.

Churilla's art for the new HB/BPRD mini looks great:

HB5441CS.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
fuck it maybe that's why Marvel is stagnating, they gave the headline book to Mark goddamn Waid, like, yeah, that's a bold new direction, that's the kind of never-before-seen creator that makes Marvel the comic company of NOW!

ElNarez

Banned
My god, calm down, you act like you have a meltdown. Are you seriously getting so fucking angry about shit like this tweet?

Nah, I'm just having fun pointing out Mark Waid wrote one of the most clueless comics about racism ever released. Looking for three reviews wasn't that hard and it shows there was a consensus about that thing.

Extrapolating, and looking at Waid's cluelessness in dealing with those topics and his lengthy career in comics to explain why he'd make in Champions a book that fails to resonate with people despite being the big driver of Marvel's latest rebranding effort, that's just a thought that popped up.

If I got mad, it'd be way worse.

I've loved panther (though the last issue dropped the ball a bit) but Coates needs a few more series under his belt before you can compare him to Aaron, I mean if your just counting his more recent marvel work of Wolverine & the xmen into Thor into Dr Strange, surely that keeps him at the top of the Marvel writers list.

I enjoy Coates work, I still think he's finding his feet as a comic writer and that causes him some issues in pacing and mixing his themes with action scenes but I've enjoyed the run so far and I appreciate it as a book that makes me think and offers quotes and ideas that make me want to look them up from there original sources.

On a totally different note, Motor girl stayed pretty awesome with issue 4, I don't know how it works mixing seemingly completely different tones. On the outset its got little cute sunday comic style aliens and a big grumpy gorilla larking about, but then you've got a young woman trying to deal with surviving a horrible experience and PTSD, but it all somehow works together.

Messi

I've loved panther (though the last issue dropped the ball a bit) but Coates needs a few more series under his belt before you can compare him to Aaron, I mean if your just counting his more recent marvel work of Wolverine & the xmen into Thor into Dr Strange, surely that keeps him at the top of the Marvel writers list.

I enjoy Coates work, I still think he's finding his feet as a comic writer and that causes him some issues in pacing and mixing his themes with action scenes but I've enjoyed the run so far and I appreciate it as a book that makes me think and offers quotes and ideas that make me want to look them up from there original sources.

On a totally different note, Motor girl stayed pretty awesome with issue 4, I don't know how it works mixing seemingly completely different tones. On the outset its got little cute sunday comic style aliens and a big grumpy gorilla larking about, but then you've got a young woman trying to deal with surviving a horrible experience and PTSD, but it all somehow works together.

It's that Terry Moore magic

It's that Terry Moore magic

Well I'm a fairly new convert to it after picking up Motor girl from recommendations on here from the first issue onward, I'm definitely down for reading more of his series though.

I like his policy on his art I read too, where he pretty much just sells whatever pages he draws afterwards, rather than keep them in storage somewhere to get dusty or damaged. Though his art pages are too rich for my blood.

Messi

Well I'm a fairly new convert to it after picking up Motor girl from recommendations on here from the first issue onward, I'm definitely down for reading more of his series though.

I like his policy on his art I read too, where he pretty much just sells whatever pages he draws afterwards, rather than keep them in storage somewhere to get dusty or damaged. Though his art pages are too rich for my blood.

You should read his other creative owned stuff. Strangers in Paradise, Rachel Rising and Echo. All brilliant especially Strangers in Paradise. The omnibuses are beautiful and priced fairly especially sip.

His art is pricey but breathtaking in person. I own a page from sip and one from Rachel Rising. The madman letters directly onto the page by hand.

Also. In Rachel Rising he hand drew all the snow which when you read the book you will realize how fucking bonkers that is.

You should read his other creative owned stuff. Strangers in Paradise, Rachel Rising and Echo. All brilliant especially Strangers in Paradise. The omnibuses are beautiful and priced fairly especially sip.

His art is pricey but breathtaking in person. I own a page from sip and one from Rachel Rising. The madman letters directly onto the page by hand.

Also. In Rachel Rising he hand drew all the snow which when you read the book you will realize how fucking bonkers that is.

Yeah I'm definitely thinking about checking out strangers in paradise, not as sure about rachel rising as I'm not really into horror stuff. I was thinking about trying the pocket books for strangers as the original trades seem quite expensive/hard to find now and the omnibus though not too much is a bit much without trying the series first. You don't happen to know if the pocket book format is any good do you? Not too small or anything?

Comics! Got to love that consistent trade dress too. Those will look great on the shelf.

They look pretty good, the question would be now though is do you put them together by era rather than by character. I normally put together by character such as all Batman together but stuff like this makes me think probably would look better to make a rebirth section on the shelf. First world problems eh ha

Messi

Yeah I'm definitely thinking about checking out strangers in paradise, not as sure about rachel rising as I'm not really into horror stuff. I was thinking about trying the pocket books for strangers as the original trades seem quite expensive/hard to find now and the omnibus though not too much is a bit much without trying the series first. You don't happen to know if the pocket book format is any good do you? Not too small or anything?

I honestly think they are too small

Buying the omnibus is much cheaper in the long run. The series is like 19 volumes. I think.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Abstract-Studio/STRANGERS-IN-PARADISE-OMNIBUS-PX-SC-ED/APR130755

They look pretty good, the question would be now though is do you put them together by era rather than by character. I normally put together by character such as all Batman together but stuff like this makes me think probably would look better to make a rebirth section on the shelf. First world problems eh ha

These are the kind of things I have spent long agonising evening over haha. It'll probably bother me once I end up with separate volumes of say Snyder bat books sitting on different spots of the shelf, but in this case I think these will all go together in a rebirth era section foremost, and then other factor eg. bat books, writer etc afterwards.

Hah ain't that the truth.

This is my punishment for not just waiting on the deluxe versions </3 at least they can't pull a Grayson this time and drop to softcover after ONE hardcover haha.

Messi

Thanks, maybe I'll try the first pocket book and if I like save towards the omnibus. I'm UK so not sure how well that instock link will do for me, but saying that having a quick look doesn't seem like there's many sellers over here anyway :(

Amazon does it.

Oh and beware the early volumes while good are very different in tone to what it becomes. The start is very newspaper comic strip style, dramatic word bubbles ect. The book released over a long period and he developed during it.

Amazon does it.

Oh and beware the early volumes while good are very different in tone to what it becomes. The start is very newspaper comic strip style, dramatic word bubbles ect. The book released over a long period and he developed during it.

Cool good to know, I'll definitely get a bit into it before I make any judgements then. Yeah it looks like Amazon are the only sellers I can find over here that have it, but the only copy they have under £100 for it would be shipped from Amazon US store anyway ha

Messi

Cool good to know, I'll definitely get a bit into it before I make any judgements then. Yeah it looks like Amazon are the only sellers I can find over here that have it, but the only copy they have under £100 for it would be shipped from Amazon US store anyway ha

Damn that sucks

Really not a fan of those Action Comic spoilers.

Not saying specifics but talking about my problems with it:
It just feels way too damn cheap. It also make a ton of confusion on how Oz told Supes early on that he and his family is not who he thinks they are. This is supposed to have an impact on him. There's also the whole time confusion and it all just feels really cheap and hand wavingly easy.

Looks like he just announced another Image book called Family Tree with Phil Hester. Seems like he may be going pretty heavy on Image and staying away from capes for a bit.

Yea, Royal City is planned as an ongoing, Descender is still happening for now and as you mention, there's Family Tree, Black Hammer. Honestly, with those and the valiant books, that's quite a lot. Hes just about to put out an OGN. If he goes back to Capes at some point, he should keep his number of books in check haha. He makes his deadlines but you can always tell which books are less *important* to him.

Ross61

Really not a fan of those Action Comic spoilers.

Not saying specifics but talking about my problems with it:
It just feels way too damn cheap. It also make a ton of confusion on how Oz told Supes early on that he and his family is not who he thinks they are. This is supposed to have an impact on him. There's also the whole time confusion and it all just feels really cheap and hand wavingly easy.
Can you explain?

That it adds confusion to
Oz's explanation of Pre-Flashpoint and New 52 Superman not being who they said they were.

I haven't completely read it yet, but the idea that at the start of Rebirth Oz said this and was watching both Clarks even though he hadn't escaped him yet and the idea that he would then say that they aren't who they think they are. This person impersonating Clark doesn't really have much of an effect on who Supes is. It makes the comment by Oz early on just pointless and empty.

I haven't read all the spoilers or anything so it could all be possibly explained, but on a surface level it seems like it doesn't really answer for everything and ends up feeling a little cheap because of it.
Oh it's confusion because it's him! Ok that answers everything.

/endkneejerkreactions

Ross61

I haven't completely read it yet, but the idea that at the start of Rebirth Oz said this and was watching both Clarks even though he hadn't escaped him yet and the idea that he would then say that they aren't who they think they are. This person impersonating Clark doesn't really have much of an effect on who Supes is. It makes the comment by Oz early on just pointless and empty.

I haven't read all the spoilers or anything so it could all be possibly explained, but on a surface level it seems like it doesn't really answer for everything and ends up feeling a little cheap because of it.
Oh it's confusion because it's him! Ok that answers everything.

/endkneejerkreactions
I think the explanation is gonna make more sense once
New 52 Supes shows back up.
I actually think this specific spoiler doesn't really have anything to do with what Oz said about Supes.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Logan was absolutely brilliant. Heartbreaking but absolutely unreal. Cannot recommend it enough.

I think the explanation is gonna make more sense once
New 52 Supes shows back up.
I actually think this specific spoiler doesn't really have anything to do with what Oz said about Supes.

I'm hoping. It's mostly why I said it was a kneejerk reaction. There are ways for it all to still be cool, but the time aspect alone is still annoying.

BC reports that writers told them that Marvel higher-ups had told them that they fired Lemire but Lemire says he quit on his own. In-fighting? An attempt to look better to their new writers?
I understand that other creators coming onto books that he has stopped, were told by Marvel that he had been fired off books. But I also understand that’s not the case, he gave his notice and finished all the work he was due to.

That’s the thing about comic book creators. They talk and tell each other what publishers have said about them. They can be awkward like that.

TheFlow

Banned
Issue 10 was as well. The problem is that his writing style frequenly dips into "get your notebooks out, it's time for a lecture" territory. You're right with the action, but it's also scale, and the most recent issue had that in spades. Like a paintball match instead of a siege.

I get what he's tryimg to do with this run and I appreciate. He has good characterizations and strong world building, but he's still very much a book writer.

we going to disagree on #10. that was hot fire.

I don't mind that his writing is thought provoking and is also social commentary. It goes well with the setting of Wakanda, which has a rich history and BP. gives him depth. I don't think anybody at marvel could of done BP well in a Wakanda background.

Coate is just that good

Top Bottom