• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

I thought Nioh was going to be my GOTY but then Horizon came along and made it look like trash.
Nier Automata is amazing too. It's definitely my favorite console RPG this gen already. Can't recommend it enough.
Hahah, pretty much. Just done. The article intimates he's just going the Brubaker, Remender et al. route to doing his own stuff.
Makes sense. I only read Hawkeye and thought it was very mediocre. He seems to do much better in his independent work based off of what everyone says. I want to check out some of it eventually.

Nier Automata is amazing too. It's definitely my favorite console RPG this gen already. Can't recommend it enough.

I bought it and have it preloaded, but at this point I'm wondering why I even bothered. I still have a good bit of Horizon to play, and Andromeda comes out in a few weeks. And then Persona 5. XD

I wanted the pre-order loot, though.

Makes sense. I only read Hawkeye and thought it was very mediocre. He seems to do much better in his independent work based off of what everyone says. I want to check out some of it eventually.

Do it! Sweet Tooth is really great. Lemire is all over the shop with his DC/Marvel work but Sweet Tooth is so good, I would swear by that.

To be fair to him, if he bothers to continue with work for hire, it may as well be his Valiant work. He's a big fish in a small pond working on stuff he seems to love, and by all accounts, it's very well received in that space.

Nier >_< too many good games. I'm in the same boat as Freeza, I can't imagine being done with Horizon, well...any time soon really hah. At least a week more. I haven't got the time for more stuff. Really enjoyed the Nier demo though. I'll either check out Mass Effect (never played one of those before) or ditch that and check out Nier instead. Either way, as long as I'm ready for Yokai Watch 2 at the beginning of April (h)

These pages from Uncanny X-Men are still brutal years later:
pHe1g4O.jpg
"It's ok, mommy. They're superheroes."

FUCK.

mreddie

Lemire's Marvel run will only go down with OML and Moon Knight really, THOSE WERE 2 YEARS SPENT WELL!

Who's left? Soule, Aaron, Bendis, Waid?

Triple M better have some damn fine talent coming because fuck, the talent right now is thin.

Sandfox

Lemire's Marvel run will only go down with OML and Moon Knight really, THOSE WERE 2 YEARS SPENT WELL!

Who's left? Soule, Aaron, Bendis, Waid?

Triple M better have some damn fine talent coming because fuck, the talent right now is thin.
Ewing, Rosenberg, David, Spencer, Pak, and Duggan off the top of my head.

I think they have talented writers working for them at the moment, but it will be interesting to see who they have coming in and who is put on the top books because big names would obviously help.

mreddie

Ewing, Rosenberg, David, Spencer, Pak, and Duggan off the top of my head.

I think they have talented writers working for them at the moment, but it will be interesting to see who they have coming in and who is put on the top books because big names would obviously help.

Ewing - Cursed with low selling books, needs a good and notable IP to make him known
Rosenburg - Getting there, still too new
David - Oh right, PAD is A tier
Spencer - Kinda A tier. Has an event coming but has X Pac heat online.
Pak - Also A tier but he's like Dudley from SF4, more people use Balrog.
Duggan - Yep, he's finally getting the A tier status now after Deadpool but needs more books under his resume.

Messi

I wonder if we will ever see Carrie Kelly in Tomasi and Gleasons stuff. Her friendship with Damian was sweet. Bruce sitting in the cave using pieces of Damian voice clips to create a voicemail for her once he was dead still makes me sad.

Still heartbreaking

Malyse

"Everyone wants to rule the world" would make a great Avengers movie. I love the concept of everyone doing their own thing completely separate from each other and it all coming together to be a thing in the end.

-----

I think the DC movies would be better if they chased the Fox route. Marvel did the everything's connected already, but when I think of iconic DC stories like The Dark Knight (comic) they are almost all disconnected to the ramifications of the shared universe. Hell, All Star Batman has little to no effect on Batman. I think the movies could be great as the same. Tell me a Superman story that fuck all to do with the next Superman story and fuck all to do with the last Superman story. James Bond that shit.

Ross61

"Everyone wants to rule the world" would make a great Avengers movie. I love the concept of everyone doing their own thing completely separate from each other and it all coming together to be a thing in the end.

-----

I think the DC movies would be better if they chased the Fox route. Marvel did the everything's connected already, but when I think of iconic DC stories like The Dark Knight (comic) they are almost all disconnected to the ramifications of the shared universe. Hell, All Star Batman has little to no effect on Batman. I think the movies could be great as the same. Tell me a Superman story that fuck all to do with the next Superman story and fuck all to do with the last Superman story. James Bond that shit.

The only reason Fox is making standalone are because their timeline is fucked to hell.

Sandfox

While Logan is doing well, I don't think Fox knows what they are doing and they seem embarrassed to embrace the comic book aspect, which is costing them money. IIRC they didn't want to make either Deadpool or Logan and others had to step up.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Ewing - Cursed with low selling books, needs a good and notable IP to make him known
Rosenburg - Getting there, still too new
David - Oh right, PAD is A tier
Spencer - Kinda A tier. Has an event coming but has X Pac heat online.
Pak - Also A tier but he's like Dudley from SF4, more people use Balrog.
Duggan - Yep, he's finally getting the A tier status now after Deadpool but needs more books under his resume.

From Marvel, I typically will read anything Aaron does. Aaron on Doctor Strange and Thor have been the most consistently fun to read. I like Duggan on Deadpool but haven't read much of what he does outside of 'pool.

I liked Lemire on Moon Knight and Old Man Logan, Thanos was all right. Extraordinary X-Men had a few decent issues but was not memorable in the long run. I'll continue to read his Descender series and follow him on the indie scene.

Slott on Silver Surfer and Spider-Man have been great at times and serviceable at his worst.

Don't care about Bendis stuff all that much -- usually stay away from his work after being disappointed with Guardians way back when he jumped on. I am reading his Infamous Iron Man to see what Doom is up to, though.

Jeff Loveness on Nova has been better than I thought it would be. Didn't find his Groot stuff all that interesting.

David F Walker on Powerman & Iron Fist has been entertaining. Have not read his Occupy Avengers series.

I'll typically read Waid's work, but I didn't like his Black Widow. Avengers is hit and miss more often than it should be. Champions has been safe so far.

Soule on Daredevil is better than I thought it would be. Not currently reading anything Ewing is doing, although I have great things about Ultimates and US Avengers. Was reading Pak's Hulk, but gave up when Jeremy Lin made his debut in the series as himself. Don't read anything from Spencer, David, or Rosenburg as of this moment, although I have in the past.

What happened to Nathan Edmonson? I liked his Black Widow and Punisher runs and he has disappeared after Red Wolf bombed.

Jason Latour's work on Spider-Gwen I bet should get him bigger work at Marvel after the character became even more pop culture the past year. Same with Wilson on Ms. Marvel. If Coates ever wanted more work at Marvel, they should give it to him since Black Panther has been awesome so far.

Spider-Gwen got big mostly because of her design. Walker is up there thanks to PM&IF and Nighthawk alone.
Aaron lost that to Spencer and Coates a while back. Definitely in the top 5.
Coates isn't up there. Black Panther is great, but the past few issues have been dropping. Especially that last one. He has some glaring weaknesses

TheFlow

Banned
Coates isn't up there. Black Panther is great, but the past few issues have been dropping. Especially that last one. He has some glaring weaknesses
Only the last issue was weaksauce and that is because a lot of things were solved rather quickly.

Coates weakness is making his writing blend with action panels.

Sandfox

From Marvel, I typically will read anything Aaron does. Aaron on Doctor Strange and Thor have been the most consistently fun to read. I like Duggan on Deadpool but haven't read much of what he does outside of 'pool.

I liked Lemire on Moon Knight and Old Man Logan, Thanos was all right. Extraordinary X-Men had a few decent issues but was not memorable in the long run. I'll continue to read his Descender series and follow him on the indie scene.

Slott on Silver Surfer and Spider-Man have been great at times and serviceable at his worst.

Don't care about Bendis stuff all that much -- usually stay away from his work after being disappointed with Guardians way back when he jumped on. I am reading his Infamous Iron Man to see what Doom is up to, though.

Jeff Loveness on Nova has been better than I thought it would be. Didn't find his Groot stuff all that interesting.

David F Walker on Powerman & Iron Fist has been entertaining. Have not read his Occupy Avengers series.

I'll typically read Waid's work, but I didn't like his Black Widow. Avengers is hit and miss more often than it should be. Champions has been safe so far.

Soule on Daredevil is better than I thought it would be. Not currently reading anything Ewing is doing, although I have great things about Ultimates and US Avengers. Was reading Pak's Hulk, but gave up when Jeremy Lin made his debut in the series as himself. Don't read anything from Spencer, David, or Rosenburg as of this moment, although I have in the past.

What happened to Nathan Edmonson? I liked his Black Widow and Punisher runs and he has disappeared after Red Wolf bombed.

Jason Latour's work on Spider-Gwen I bet should get him bigger work at Marvel after the character became even more pop culture the past year. Same with Wilson on Ms. Marvel. If Coates ever wanted more work at Marvel, they should give it to him since Black Panther has been awesome so far.

Loveness is a guy I would like to see get a higher profile book. I think the same about Tamaki after Hulk and Supergirl, but I'm not sure what other cape books she would be a good fit on.

Ross61

He has some allegations against him.

Caspel

Loveness is a guy I would like to see get a higher profile book. I think the same about Tamaki after Hulk and Supergirl, but I'm not sure what other cape books she would be a good fit on.

Have yet to read Hulk, but loving Supergirl so far. One of my favorites from DC when it comes to the capes.

Wow. Was not paying attention to comic news when Edmonson's allegations came out. No wonder he hasn't had any recent work.

Sandfox

Have yet to read Hulk, but loving Supergirl so far. One of my favorites from DC when it comes to the capes.

Wow. Was not paying attention to comic news when Edmonson's allegations came out. No wonder he hasn't had any recent work.

I was referring to Supergirl being Super, which is a currently ongoing mini-series. I recommend it if you like Supergirl.

Tamaki's good at more introspective stuff, so I think someone like Spider-Man would be a good fit for her if she ever got a chance to write ASM.

Caspel

I was referring to Supergirl being Super, which is a currently ongoing mini-series. I recommend it if you like Supergirl.

Ahh! My bad. Forgot that Orlando (just looked it up) was leading Supergirl (which is still good, regardless).

Only the last issue was weaksauce and that is because a lot of things were solved rather quickly.

Coates weakness is making his writing blend with action panels.
Issue 10 was as well. The problem is that his writing style frequenly dips into "get your notebooks out, it's time for a lecture" territory. You're right with the action, but it's also scale, and the most recent issue had that in spades. Like a paintball match instead of a siege.

I get what he's tryimg to do with this run and I appreciate. He has good characterizations and strong world building, but he's still very much a book writer.

mreddie

From Marvel...

Slott is good but dude needs to leave Spidey. Surfer has suffered greatly from it and needs to refocus Pete before the movie.

They have good writers at their call but they either need better material or stop delaying their shit for tie ins.

Also need to diversify their talent pool, yes, we may get America's problems but yeah, make that experienced writers who aren't white guys and know comics like Coates/Wilson.

So I got to the part of Dixon's Nightwing run where McDaniel leaves and Greg Land jumps on.

Jarring due to the art styles (McDaniel being hyper-stylized and Land being pseudo-realistic) contrasting, but still good because Greg Land's art is actually pretty good.

caliph95

So I got to the part of Dixon's Nightwing run where McDaniel leaves and Greg Land jumps on.

Jarring due to the art styles (McDaniel being hyper-stylized and Land being pseudo-realistic) contrasting, but still good because Greg Land's art is actually pretty good.

Um i don't think i read that right.

Though it could be early Greg Land which i read on Sojurn, that is better than his art today.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm not reading the Action Comics spoiler, but can I say it's fucking refreshing that we're getting the reveal before that whole mystery gets stale? That's dope.

Top Bottom