• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Sandfox

C6a9Mt5XMAARqs9

There we go. Tomorrow is the final reveal.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I don't know how to put it in wrestling terms, so I'll put all the comic terms out there and maybe you can figure out what that leads to in terms of the analogy you're weaving.

So Ales Kot did three books at Marvel. The first one is Iron Patriot, with art by Garry Brown of that one comic he did with Crossfit Philosopher Brian Wood. It's about Rhodey trying to make the Iron Patriot thing work in the current era of the American Deep State. It's a great setup, and there's some really tense moments in there, but it never really amounts to anything. It got the early kiss of death, got packaged into a mini and quickly got forgotten.

The second book, Secret Avengers, is one of the all-time great Marvel runs. I'd put it next to the Allred-Milligan X-Force any day of the week, at the very least. It's Kot and Walsh doing what starts as an over-the-top action comedy, but then deep down it's a statement on the intersections between superhero fiction, post 9/11 American foreign policy and masculinity in nerd culture. (that last part got super on point as Gamergate happened, which, that was a strange thing to see) It's funny and it's insightful and I love it. It's really really good and it's why I get so fucking mad when I see what Nick Spencer has done with Maria Hill.

The final book is Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier and people hate the shit out of it. But they're straight-up wrong. It's basically taking some of the themes and ideas that showed up in Zero and setting them on the setup of Bucky doing the weird spy shit on the weirdest fringes of the Marvel Universe. So it's talking about toxic masculinity, its influence on fiction and on how we think of the future, but it's all done in the most bugfuck way possible, because one of the artists is Marco Rudy, and Marco Rudy does fucking beautiful painted spreads that tell you a lot but not in the straightforward way you want him to. And the plot involves multiple drug trips and dreamstates so the shit is extra-confusing, it's is gorgeous but also a pain to read. The second artist on the book is Langdon Foss (of The Surface, which turned out to be a key work to understanding how Ales Kot works, it comes with the hearty endorsement from me), and that's when the book gets clearer in its story and in its thesis statement, but not by much, and not in a way where you can clearly see what it has to do with the rest of it. It's a cursed book. It's hecka divisive. I love it. Most people hate it.

Really interested in seeing who that ends up mapping to.

This is a really great post, especially the breakdown of Secret Avengers. Kot did an excellent job balancing all of the personalities on a team book, and it gave us All-Star MODOK, which is probably my favorite reference in a comic.

This is a really great post, especially the breakdown of Secret Avengers. Kot did an excellent job balancing all of the personalities on a team book, and it gave us All-Star MODOK, which is probably my favorite reference in a comic.

Hello good sir, it seems you are lost.

Are you perhaps looking for the fancy paper thread

tim1138

Filthy Slug, now there's a name I haven't seen in a long time...

Did you ever buy that MODOK page?

"Off topic" implies that sometimes we're on topic.

This community was founded on talking nonsense. Besides, we can talk about the comics we read this week on Wednesday.

*looks at calendar*

Oh.

I bought IDW creator bundle. Along with the Image 25 and Valiant Heroes bundles, that's three bundles in a short space of time. I really need a new tablet.

shingi70

Banned
Putting gambit in any book is the worst thing that can happen.

Haven't read it but saw the Superman reborn spoiler.....I can at least say it's something I didn't see coming.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hello good sir, it seems you are lost.

Are you perhaps looking for the fancy paper thread
I thought this was the Ales Kot thread, FUCK.

Filthy Slug, now there's a name I haven't seen in a long time...

Did you ever buy that MODOK page?

No, haha, I still have his facebook message sitting blankly in my inbox. It was just disastrous timing.

Hagi

Haven't read #2, but I really liked the first one. I like Black Canary's and Lobo's iterations. And I'm starting to like this Killer Frost.

I just finished reading the Rebirth issue and it was really good. I like this team make up, especially Lobo. I don't really know anything about Vixen, the Ray or Atom so that's fun.

Hah this is the me during the Gold and Blue reveal. What a wet fart that was.

Haha you know they've got room for one more book too. Always room for one more. This book looks interesting enough that if the creative team is any good, they should just save it for the relaunch.

Top Bottom