• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

The next "free digital codes" from Marvel:
Avengers & X-Men: Axis #1 by Rick Remender and Jim Cheung.

Power Man & Iron Fist #6 by David Walker, Flaviano and Sanford Greene.

The New Mutants Graphic Novel by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't know how to put it in wrestling terms, so I'll put all the comic terms out there and maybe you can figure out what that leads to in terms of the analogy you're weaving.

So Ales Kot did three books at Marvel. The first one is Iron Patriot, with art by Garry Brown of that one comic he did with Crossfit Philosopher Brian Wood. It's about Rhodey trying to make the Iron Patriot thing work in the current era of the American Deep State. It's a great setup, and there's some really tense moments in there, but it never really amounts to anything. It got the early kiss of death, got packaged into a mini and quickly got forgotten.

The second book, Secret Avengers, is one of the all-time great Marvel runs. I'd put it next to the Allred-Milligan X-Force any day of the week, at the very least. It's Kot and Walsh doing what starts as an over-the-top action comedy, but then deep down it's a statement on the intersections between superhero fiction, post 9/11 American foreign policy and masculinity in nerd culture. (that last part got super on point as Gamergate happened, which, that was a strange thing to see) It's funny and it's insightful and I love it. It's really really good and it's why I get so fucking mad when I see what Nick Spencer has done with Maria Hill.

The final book is Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier and people hate the shit out of it. But they're straight-up wrong. It's basically taking some of the themes and ideas that showed up in Zero and setting them on the setup of Bucky doing the weird spy shit on the weirdest fringes of the Marvel Universe. So it's talking about toxic masculinity, its influence on fiction and on how we think of the future, but it's all done in the most bugfuck way possible, because one of the artists is Marco Rudy, and Marco Rudy does fucking beautiful painted spreads that tell you a lot but not in the straightforward way you want him to. And the plot involves multiple drug trips and dreamstates so the shit is extra-confusing, it's is gorgeous but also a pain to read. The second artist on the book is Langdon Foss (of The Surface, which turned out to be a key work to understanding how Ales Kot works, it comes with the hearty endorsement from me), and that's when the book gets clearer in its story and in its thesis statement, but not by much, and not in a way where you can clearly see what it has to do with the rest of it. It's a cursed book. It's hecka divisive. I love it. Most people hate it.

Really interested in seeing who that ends up mapping to.

Sandfox

Nova continues to be great and All-New Wolverine's big arc had a nice conclusion. I'm happy the book is getting a new artist and I'm excited for the next arc.

ElNarez

Banned
But the art

You know what's an uncontroversially great book? Marvel Knights: Spider-Man. It's Lemire doing a big crazy script like what he's currently doing on Moon Knight, with Marco Rudy spreads that are gorgeous as hell, but restrained in a way that's condusive to telling a superhero story.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You know what's an uncontroversially great book? Marvel Knights: Spider-Man. It's Lemire doing a big crazy script like what he's currently doing on Moon Knight, with Marco Rudy spreads that are gorgeous as hell, but restrained in a way that's condusive to telling a superhero story.

I dont disagree over the quality of the boot - I have to commit that I infact not read booth of these books because the art is to exhausting to look at in my current condition, but I think they are booth very pretty and special and from even flipping through I am thinking that its something worth reading

Daniel Way is terrible because he managed to fuck up a story about Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma Frost, and Armor fighting gian monsters, starting with Fin Fang Foom in Tokyo, and then a bunch of them on Monster Island.

It's boring.

HOW DO YOU FUCK UP GIANT MONSTERS VS X-MEN? ESPECIALLY WHEN ONE OF THEM MAKES A GIANT PSYCHIC MECHA ARMOR?!
latest

Ouch, Iron Fist sounds bad.

Anyone in the US willing to grab an order for me and send it on to Sweden?
"The Last Iron Fist Story" indeed

Justice League of America #2 was meh and didn't even have Ivan Reis art to make up for it. I am dropping it. Actually, I meant to cancel the order for this issue in the first place lol.

Deathstroke #14 was great as always. Didn't know black Power Girl had
growing powers so that was weird.

Disappointed to see Iron Fist reviews are coming in shaky. That said, I'll hold judgement til I see it myself. Some of these reviews I'm seeing are name checking Cage as a brilliant series and I am mostly definitely not on the same page with that. I probably would rate Daredevil higher than others too, so I'm as well remaining open minded and it's not like I don't have Netflix anyway. No cost to find out.

Man, Horizon is such a good de-stressing game while we wait for Shadow of War. Being able to turn "I need 500 metal shards and a fox pelt for a quiver" into a errand is so nice.

Edit: Fuck Beast.

Finished the Dark Horse/DC: Justice League v1 trade.

(I have no idea why it's called that when it's just a bunch of mostly dire crossovers)

Also, who is this Ghost character (with a lot of plot) teaming up with Cassandra?

Hah, I think this is one of the very few HB things I have left to read. Batman exits stage right early on and it's mostly a starman team up right? You'll need to let us know how you get on with it.

The Batman/Hellboy/Starman issues were pretty good fun actually. It is in two issues. The first is Batman + Hellboy and the second transitions to Hellboy + Starman (and the transition is smoothly done). So yes, not all three together most of the time but it was very well done and the art was beautiful.

Action Comics

Yeah, I'm not really a fan. I feel like this makes Oz look really stupid.

Detective Comics

Really great issue, glad to see this book getting back on track after the lackluster Victim Syndicate.

The Batman/Hellboy/Starman issues were pretty good fun actually. It is in two issues. The first is Batman + Hellboy and the second transitions to Hellboy + Starman (and the transition is smoothly done). So yes, not all three together most of the time but it was very well done and the art was beautiful.

Cheers for that! Definitely sounds interesting. I have no real history with Starman, but it would still be fun to read. Although, you didn't make the rest of the collection sound too hot haha, I think I would maybe get it under this guise, and have it fit nice with my HB trades:

Justice League of America #2 was meh and didn't even have Ivan Reis art to make up for it. I am dropping it. Actually, I meant to cancel the order for this issue in the first place lol.

I thought the story for JLA #2 was decent enough but that art. Yeesh, there have to be a half dozen guys from that studio that could do a better imitation of Reis' art. Were none of them available?

tim1138

The second issue of Green Lantern/Planet of the Apes was much better than the first. They addressed my biggest issue with the plot (the Universal Ring and Phantom Ring being basically the same thing), Bagenda's art stays awesome, and the last page reveal has me incredibly hyped. I think this is gonna end up being a lot of fun after all.

Neoxon

Nova continues to be great and All-New Wolverine's big arc had a nice conclusion. I'm happy the book is getting a new artist and I'm excited for the next arc.
Oh shit, the newest issue of Nova is out today.

I know what I'm doing after class.

Wonder Woman is really starting to lose my attention, it feels like it's just meandering along at this point.

I'm kind of getting to that same point. I keep liking it enough to keep going, but there is a distinct lack of answers at this point. It's not even like the answers matter but it's like the book just keeps going in circles.

Ales Kot's Secret Avengers is phenomenal. Even long lost sillymonkey gave it a 9/10

Fight night you mean? Pretty sure that was Matt Kindt. Fantastic series

Really interested in this but jeez 45 to get a physical copy

Man, I just got why DopplerClark happened. It's a callback to
Mr. Mxyzptlk's first appearance ever where he pretended to be Clark. I should've known. I'm the one who's supposed to remember stuff like that.

Yea, +1 on my end for Secret Avengers by Kot. I honestly never checked out Iron Patriot or Winter Soldier since both seemed to get cut off at the feet pretty quickly, but the Secret Avengers run was great and on point.

Still missing a lot of Kot's other stuff though. Have read all of Zero, Material & the first volume of Wolf, buuuut I think that is it.

tim1138

I'm kind of getting to that same point. I keep liking it enough to keep going, but there is a distinct lack of answers at this point. It's not even like the answers matter but it's like the book just keeps going in circles.

Agreed, just feels like Rucka is spinning his wheels at this point.

Add another +1 to Kot's Secret Avengers, that was a great book. I like his Winter Soldier run for how out there it was, plus it was amazing to look at.

dan2026

So fake Clark was That Guy all along.
Cool interesting to see where it's going.

I can feel the collective disappointment it wasn't
Super Boy Prime
though.

Maybe next time.

Man, Horizon is such a good de-stressing game while we wait for Shadow of War. Being able to turn "I need 500 metal shards and a fox pelt for a quiver" into a errand is so nice.

Edit: Fuck Beast.

Yeah the Beast hate isn't accurate at all.

McCoy told the X-men leadership first. Launching an attack was put up for a vote (vs leaving the planet, or going to the inhuman) and an attack was nearly unanimous, except for Beast and possibly forge who I think abstained with no opinion.

Beast wasn't on board with a sneak assault on the inhumans at ALL, attempted to leave to tell the inhumans what he found and got a dose of lightning to the back by Storm and KOed.

There's blame to go around, but it's not on him.

Yeah the Beast hate isn't accurate at all.

McCoy told the X-men leadership first. Launching an attack was put up for a vote (vs leaving the planet, or going to the inhuman) and an attack was nearly unanimous, except for Beast and possibly forge who I think abstained with no opinion.

Beast wasn't on board with a sneak assault on the inhumans at ALL, attempted to leave to tell the inhumans what he found and got a dose of lightning to the back by Storm and KOed.

There's blame to go around, but it's not on him.

But I wanna hate Beast.

But I wanna hate Beast.

So does the author of the bleeding cool article.

Leaving out that Beast went to the X-men first out of respect, then got literally shot in the back for the trouble is a weird ass omission. It's literally the conclusion of the issue he sources scans for.

I haven't read the issue yet, but if anyone is taking blame for this it's Emma. Mutant/Inhuman relationships were poison in the first place because she wanted to impersonate Scott summers then pin a fake death on the inhumans in Death of X.

She follows this up by using "they killed Cyclops!" More than once as a rationale to get people on board with an assault, knowing full well Cyclops' death was accidental due to terrigen exposure, not murder in combat by Black Bolt.

So does the author of the bleeding cool article.

Leaving out that Beast went to the X-men first out of respect, then got literally shot in the back for the trouble is a weird ass omission. It's literally the conclusion of the issue he sources scans for.

Even if he had gone to Medusa first, a good chunk of the X-Men would still have attacked out of sheer bloodthirst. Assuming you take the Civil War 2 tie-in into consideration. Maybe not all of them, like this time. Storm and Young Beast's groups would have backed down, but Magneto's group and a good chunk of the rest would have stepped up and probably would have been way more violent.

Top Bottom