• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

jurgen

Why did everyone sour on Charles Soule? His DC work and she hulk were cool.

His Marvel work really hasn't hit the same level as his DC work. His X-men and Inhuman stuff has been his highest profile work at Marvel and hasn't come close to his Swamp Thing or Red Lanterns runs.

On a related note, the inverse has to be true to some extent on creators moving from Marvel to DC. I wasn't big on Sam Humphries outside of some bright spots on Avengers A.I. I've been catching up on Green Lanterns this week and holy shit is it good. #15 is just a brilliant issue that hits so hard. Comics frequently try to tackle real life issues and stumble but Humphries just knocks it out of the fucking park.

I'm insanely excited for Astonishing, though it is definitely an X-Force team (just like the recent Uncanny). I like Soule as a writer, because I've liked all the ongoings that I've read with him on. Inhuman was dope, Red Lanterns was top tier, and Uncanny Inhumans started strong and then got bogged down by CW2 and the cancellation of All-New Inhumans which forced him to basically be responsible for an entire franchise line. While Death of X was bad, he and Lemire had basically been given a messy damn job, and IvX was a really good attempt at salvaging all that dumb shit and putting it on a course correction.

Out of interest, his whole Inhumans run. Did it receive it's own wrap up in uncanny inhumans #17, or has IvX ended up being the wrap up. In terms of thematics and individual character stories he has been telling etc. Just interested in whether it will stand well on it's own or if (unfortunately) IvX will define it as the payoff.

Sandfox

Out of interest, his whole Inhumans run. Did it receive it's own wrap up in uncanny inhumans #17, or has IvX ended up being the wrap up. In terms of thematics and individual character stories he has been telling etc. Just interested in whether it will stand well on it's own or if (unfortunately) IvX will define it as the payoff.

There's one more issue coming later this month to wrap things up.

There's one more issue coming later this month to wrap things up.

Ah sorry, what I meant is with #17 (so before IvX & the IvX issues at #18 kicked off) does his run receive a self contained ending in terms of the things he was trying to do/say with it, before launching into IvX as the big company status quo ending. That you could finish up at if you weren't interested in IvX or what comes next. Don't feel like I'm wording this well haha..

Ah sorry, what I meant is with #17 (so before IvX & the IvX issues at #18 kicked off) does his run receive a self contained ending in terms of the things he was trying to do/say with it, before launching into IvX as the big company status quo ending. That you could finish up at if you weren't interested in IvX or what comes next. Don't feel like I'm wording this well haha..
I get what you're saying, and the problem is that his run got super fucked up by CW2 and then IvX because both events had the Inhumans playing an extremely integral role, but yes it does have its own arcs going on that shouldn't break away too much. The problem with Uncanny Inhumans is that after the first two arcs, it goes all over the damn place, jumping from character group to character group. So it really loses focus (or at least feels like it) is it goes on.

I get what you're saying, and the problem is that his run got super fucked up by CW2 and then IvX because both events had the Inhumans playing an extremely integral role, but yes it does have its own arcs going on that shouldn't break away too much. The problem with Uncanny Inhumans is that after the first two arcs, it goes all over the damn place, jumping from character group to character group. So it really loses focus (or at least feels like it) is it goes on.

Cool man, that's pretty clear then. I might get round to reading it at some point, but I wouldn't be looking to delve into civil war 2 or IvX so that's handy to know.

Marvel do need to learn with this tie in stuff though. There's nothing more off-putting to me if I'm looking to jump in or catch up on a series, and every second trade is a tie in volume. Even going back to Jason Aaron's wolverine & the X-Men run, which was great, it put me off that vol 2 was immediately an AvX tie in. Recent example being Power Man and Iron Fist where second volume was straight away pulled into an event I had no interest. Whereas you have Remender's x-force run that stands perfectly as a run, but there is stuff like the Fear Itself mini that participates in events without interfering in the main writer's run.

If at least you could finish up that Soule Inhuman run with issue 17 with a satisfying conclusion to all of the threads and thoughts he's been driving since the beginning, and you have that IvX set of issues there if you want to see that stuff and a set up for the next step in the franchise. Although right enough, there was just a civil war 2 volume so its pretty unavoidable at that point.

caliph95

CW2 ruined everything. I was thinking of getting back to the inhumans books because i remember enjoying them.

Paper Girls #6 - #10 was pretty decent. It looks like the plot is progressing quickly. Loved the interactions between old and young Erin.

Has Vaughn mentioned how long he wants the series to be? I hope it doesn't start treading water.

Paper Girls #6 - #10 was pretty decent. It looks like the plot is progressing quickly. Loved the interactions between old and young Erin.

Has Vaughn mentioned how long he wants the series to be? I hope it doesn't start treading water.

I was kind of unsure about volume 1. I'm not even sure what it was, I was just having trouble engaging with the cast off the bat so it made it a struggle to stay engaged in all the other weirdness. Do you feel like like he managed to flesh the cast out a bit more, or were you already quite happy with it already? Maybe I was in the wrong mood but it was the first thing from BKV in a long time where I came out a little meh.

tim1138

I don't think I posted this last week, my sketched in copy of the Lake of Fire trade:

jIngMbb.jpg

kmfdmpig

His Marvel work really hasn't hit the same level as his DC work. His X-men and Inhuman stuff has been his highest profile work at Marvel and hasn't come close to his Swamp Thing or Red Lanterns runs.

On a related note, the inverse has to be true to some extent on creators moving from Marvel to DC. I wasn't big on Sam Humphries outside of some bright spots on Avengers A.I. I've been catching up on Green Lanterns this week and holy shit is it good. #15 is just a brilliant issue that hits so hard. Comics frequently try to tackle real life issues and stumble but Humphries just knocks it out of the fucking park.

I agree. GL started fairly rough, but has become quite good and has made me care about the two characters more than I would have expected.

tim1138

If I was into skipping the bad parts of Green Lanterns, where would I start?

Issue 7, that starts the Family Matters story and is where Humphries really digs into the characters. If you just want to read one issue, then 15, it's the most realistic depiction of anxiety I've seen in a comic.

-edit-

But if anyone needs to read the Phantom Lantern arc and it's implications, it's you.

I was kind of unsure about volume 1. I'm not even sure what it was, I was just having trouble engaging with the cast off the bat so it made it a struggle to stay engaged in all the other weirdness. Do you feel like like he managed to flesh the cast out a bit more, or were you already quite happy with it already? Maybe I was in the wrong mood but it was the first thing from BKV in a long time where I came out a little meh.

v2 was definitely a step up from v1. v1 felt like a lot of things thrown at you quickly in an attempt at world building. It also felt like it was written targeting a very specific audience to connect with. v2 I felt was much better paced, better directed and the character voices come out naturally and not just through 80s references. (If it wasn't for Chiang/Wilson, I might not have picked up v2)

tbh, I am actually not a big BKV fan. (Only other work of his I like is The Private Eye).

I don't think I posted this last week, my sketched in copy of the Lake of Fire trade:

Dude, this is incredible. How has this guy not worked on a HB thing yet, getting serious ogdru hem vibes.

v2 was definitely a step up from v1. v1 felt like a lot of things thrown at you quickly in an attempt at world building. It also felt like it was written targeting a very specific audience to connect with. v2 I felt was much better paced, better directed and the character voices come out naturally and not just through 80s references. (If it wasn't for Chiang/Wilson, I might not have picked up v2)

tbh, I am actually not a big BKV fan. (Only other work of his I like is The Private Eye).

The funny thing is I like a lot of what it seemed like he was trying to speak to or tap into with the 80s vibes but I just totally agree with that writeup you give on volume 1 there. It felt super busy and major things happening with characters I had barely met or learned the names of, never mind connected with. That said, I've really enjoyed Saga and he pulls off all that stuff super quick (although we're on different sides of the coin there, which is cool). Glad it worked a lot better for you though. I ummed and ahhed over whether I'd just leave it there at vol 1 or not but ended up sticking it on my birthday list for the SO, so fingers crossed it goes down the same way. The art is incredible at least.

ElNarez

Banned
Issue 7, that starts the Family Matters story and is where Humphries really digs into the characters. If you just want to read one issue, then 15, it's the most realistic depiction of anxiety I've seen in a comic.

-edit-

But if anyone needs to read the Phantom Lantern arc and it's implications, it's you.

Okay I went and spent all the money I saved from not buying Marvel books into Green Lanterns #7 through #15, this better be good.

tim1138

Dude, this is incredible. How has this guy not worked on a HB thing yet, getting serious ogdru hem vibes.

I don't think he's worked on a lot of stuff period. I know he's a big Mignola fan though, he's posted a couple of Hellboy sketches he's done either on his Twitter (@barbarianlord) or his website (can't remember the link, but it's in his Twitter profile) and they're great. Lake of Fire was a great comic that more people should have read.

Sell me on Lake of Fire, Tim. Would I like it? Like Donnie, I thought of Hellboy when I saw that sketch.

And I'm PRETTY sure my Plague of Frogs volume 1 hardcover is signed by Mignola. I bought it at my LCS and the splash page had a really rough sketch of a frog and a signature. Looks just like his.

I'm really bad for missing Image stuff when it's not an ongoing, it literally just passes out of mind and I have no idea about it once the trade hits. Will definitely get Lake Of Fire though, looks very awesome

And I'm PRETTY sure my Plague of Frogs volume 1 hardcover is signed by Mignola. I bought it at my LCS and the splash page had a really rough sketch of a frog and a signature. Looks just like his.

...... *turns into a frog* dude, whaaaaat haha.

Wanderer5

Currently on a trip and decided to finally dive into dc rebirth for new reading via my favorite hero, Batman, who seem to be having it quite good with this rebirth.

I loved Vision, so I am definitely on board with another series that Tom King is working on, and the regular Batman series certinally doesn't disappoint from the first tradeback.

I might later check out All Stars Batman too, since I am getting a crazy good vibe from it, and it's Scott Snyder.

New Super-Man

I really freaking like this book. Every time it introduces new characters it doesn't just feel like an easy copy past Asian copy of some regular DC Hero/Villain. Yes a lot of them are somewhat copies, but it comes off in such a genuine way that just makes me want to know more about the characters. Previously basically a Joker copycat was introduced as a significant character for Batman, but instead of just saying it's some variation of Joker it's Alpaca that wears a creepy ass mask and makes laughing sounds. Then this issue we get a freaking Robinbot and not only is it an awesome idea and fits totally with this version of Bat-Man, but there is a reason why this Bat-Man suddenly wants a robot Robin instead of a human Robin he had previously wanted.

The one weird thing was the Lex Luther in this issue really felt off compared to the one we're used to seeing in the New 52 and even into Rebirth. This one seems like a more maniacal and power hungry Lex which just really felt off.

This book just keeps getting better and better and I don't think it's had a single down issue. I wish more people read this book.

tim1138

Sell me on Lake of Fire, Tim. Would I like it? Like Donnie, I thought of Hellboy when I saw that sketch.

I think you would.

It's a historical fiction story about the Albigensian/Cathar Crusade in the south of France during the 1200s. The story is focused around one town in particular that has reported demons attacking them, only it turns out the demons
are actually aliens
. Fairnbairn did a great job of making it feel historically accurate, but you won't be lost if you're not a history nerd.

It has a bit of a Mignola-verse feel to it, but it's definitely its own thing.

Totally jealous of your signed Plague of Frogs, that's crazy cool.

Currently on a trip and decided to finally dive into dc rebirth for new reading via my favorite hero, Batman, who seem to be having it quite good with this rebirth.

I loved Vision, so I am definitely on board with another series that Tom King is working on, and the regular Batman series certinally doesn't disappoint from the first tradeback.

I might later check out All Stars Batman too, since I am getting a crazy good vibe from it, and it's Scott Snyder.

Ive just started reading through my first set of Rebirth trades, would wholeheartedly recommend Detective man, really high quality stuff. I enjoyed King's Batman too, although there is so much in the air in regards to the villains, I would find it hard to say if the story was a success as such. It was definitely engaging though.

...... *turns into a frog* dude, whaaaaat haha.

Not even completely sure, which is probably the crazy part lol. I get the feeling it was signed and sold to them and they had it mixed with the ones on the shelf:

Looks like his signature based off of some Google searches. Maybe it was a gift and someone got angry and blacked out their name? I dunno but it's mine now, it is For Me.

My LCS tends to have a bunch of signed stuff now and then. I have a Power Girl book and print signed by Amanda Conner and some signed Paul Pope stuff they had out for months. So I would not be surprised if this really was signed by him.

tim1138

New Super-Man

I really freaking like this book. Every time it introduces new characters it doesn't just feel like an easy copy past Asian copy of some regular DC Hero/Villain. Yes a lot of them are somewhat copies, but it comes off in such a genuine way that just makes me want to know more about the characters. Previously basically a Joker copycat was introduced as a significant character for Batman, but instead of just saying it's some variation of Joker it's Alpaca that wears a creepy ass mask and makes laughing sounds. Then this issue we get a freaking Robinbot and not only is it an awesome idea and fits totally with this version of Bat-Man, but there is a reason why this Bat-Man suddenly wants a robot Robin instead of a human Robin he had previously wanted.

The one weird thing was the Lex Luther in this issue really felt off compared to the one we're used to seeing in the New 52 and even into Rebirth. This one seems like a more maniacal and power hungry Lex which just really felt off.

This book just keeps getting better and better and I don't think it's had a single down issue. I wish more people read this book.

Kenan Kong is my favorite Rebirth character, he's such a lovable lout. I don't think it's had a bad issue yet either. I hope when the first trade comes out it sparks interest in the series, it deserves to sell way better than it currently is.

Owzers

I've been sicker than usual all week, nephew has been sick, I presume my nephew got me sick. My immune system holds up less than a floppy in a mild wind.

Kenan Kong is my favorite Rebirth character, he's such a lovable lout. I don't think it's had a bad issue yet either. I hope when the first trade comes out it sparks interest in the series, it deserves to sell way better than it currently is.

If the Ichung guy wasn't so great himself, I'd be a little bummed we aren't getting more interaction between Kenan and Baixi because their squibbling has been great. Bat-man always taking jabs at Kenan being lazy and dumb and Kenan always making fat jokes. It somehow comes off genuine and fun.

Blue Beetle could take a note of how you can inject bickering into your dialogue in a more fun way. It was one of the main reasons I dropped it.

Progressed in Horizon until Aloy becomes a Seeker. The feeling of the world opening up is great. Will start NieR tomorrow.

I'm at this point and I think I have an issue of being able to progress. I can't bring myself to do the main quests while I have side quests to do. I'm level 15 and haven't done a single thing past this point.

I'm at this point and I think I have an issue of being able to progress. I can't bring myself to do the main quests while I have side quests to do. I'm level 15 and haven't done a single thing past this point.
Same. The Nora Hunting Trials kept me busy for a while. Have to go to a dinner now. I'll be on later!

Edit: Are you kidding me, Soule is on Darth Vader as well. And it starts after III so people picking up trades will probably be confused when seeing this and Gillen's.

tim1138

If the Ichung guy wasn't so great himself, I'd be a little bummed we aren't getting more interaction between Kenan and Baixi because their squibbling has been great. Bat-man always taking jabs at Kenan being lazy and dumb and Kenan always making fat jokes. It somehow comes off genuine and fun.

Blue Beetle could take a note of how you can inject bickering into your dialogue in a more fun way. It was one of the main reasons I dropped it.

I-Ching translating between Kenan and Lex was hilarious. I love the interactions between the team, I really hope there's a bootleg GL in the works as well. It was weird seeing
China White in a non drug cartel related role
though.

New Super-Man

This is great to hear. One of the Rebirth pitches that sounded very interesting to me when announced.

I-Ching translating between Kenan and Lex was hilarious. I love the interactions between the team, I really hope there's a bootleg GL in the works as well. It was weird seeing
China White in a non drug cartel related role
though.

I feel like the stuff at the Bat Academy was heavily hinting at some kind of GL bootleg. They at least have some kind of control over light constructs at least.

This is great to hear. One of the Rebirth pitches that sounded very interesting to me when announced.

It's been one of my biggest surprises of Rebirth and easily one of my favorites.

Lol all our Soule fans are having the week of their lives ;) I've yet to read any of marvel's star wars comics. Feels wrong to skip a Jason Aaron comic and by all accounts quality is high but I jus don't k ow if I really need more Star Wars in my life.

Hmm this could be cool I guess. I still need to finish Gillens run but I didn't think they'd be moving back with the next volume.
I hoped they would do a comic taking place after V. We've seen so much of I-IV in the old EU and in the new that seeing what happened after Hoth would be pretty new even if it was just a mini-series.

Hagi

Lol all our Soule fans are having the week of their lives ;) I've yet to read any of marvel's star wars comics. Feels wrong to skip a Jason Aaron comic and by all accounts quality is high but I jus don't k ow if I really need more Star Wars in my life.

His Star Wars stuff is weird because he's wrote one of the best books in Lando and probably the worst in Poe Dameron. Obi-Wan and Anakin was okay but it didn't really leave a lasting impression. I'm forever riding that Star Wars high so I'll give it a look anyway when it hits trade like I do with all the Star Wars books.

rac

Banned
Marvel buy one get one free on comixology.

think im gonna finally pick up moon knight vol. 1 and mb gwenpool or silk or all new wolverine

theres a lot here to choose from, probably most of it is on mu already though huh?

His Star Wars stuff is weird because he's wrote one of the best books in Lando and probably the worst in Poe Dameron. Obi-Wan and Anakin was okay but it didn't really leave a lasting impression. I'm forever riding that Star Wars high so I'll give it a look anyway when it hits trade like I do with all the Star Wars books.

Interesting! I had no idea about the reception of his previous stuff. Disappointing to hear Dameron was that bad. Don't get me wrong, I do like Star Wars and enjoy the movies well enough, and that was a guy who you wanted a bit more of by the end of the force awakens, after the stuff at the beginning. I think I'd be interested more by stuff that isn't placed in between movies, has a bit more freedom etc.

Top Bottom