• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I got unnaturally excited watching the trailer for Lego Batman 3. Especially when I seen that they decided to update Wonder Woman to her new 52 costume. Maybe new Harley will be in it.

arkon

Started reading some of the backlog. Daredevil 28... I need more of Javier Rodriguez's artwork in my life. Loved it.

Boogiepop

Oh god damn it. Archie delayed Worlds Collide Vol. #3 AGAIN. I was supposed to get it in May, and now it's estimated at mid-July. I hate you so, so much right now, Archie comics. Why is it so hard to put out a trade on time?!

Vacation reading update.

Batman Inc 3 vols. Already shared my thoughts on this but not my cup of tea.

Catwoman Vol 1 Brubaker. Amazing! Classic noir Brubaker. Very cool to see a different side of Gotham that's well written and great to look at.

Black Canary and Zatanna Bloodspell. Might be my favorite thing I have read so far. Short but very sweet. Loved everything about it.

tim1138

Or even a first reading if you not a moron. It does require a tiny bit of work, but I don't think I've ever finished one of his books and not known what was going on.

Exactly. Just because you have to think a bit when he writes doesn't mean his comics are some cosmic mystery that require annotations and footnotes to understand. Peoples willingness to just write off his entire body of work as weird and hard to understand drive me up a wall.

Owzers

Justice League United #1: If you're going to have issue #1 be part 2 of a 5 part story, then you didn't have a #0 issue. But on to the actual substance, i didn't like the issue, it felt like bland people were trying to be fun. Sure, it's a DC book so someone got their arm cut off, but the enemy the group came together to fight seemed like a typical generic enemy for a team to group-beat with no personality to itself and that left everything to the team, and it didn't work for me.

Exactly. Just because you have to think a bit when he writes doesn't mean his comics are some cosmic mystery that require annotations and footnotes to understand. Peoples willingness to just write off his entire body of work as weird and hard to understand drive me up a wall.

But isn't that what we all do? You tried a few times to get into Scott Snyders Batman but couldn't do it because it lacked emotion. I would disagree with that. I don't get where you are coming from there. Then I bought almost every book in Grant Morrison's run and forced myself to read through them even though it felt like work sometimes. Some parts were genius and really added to the history of the character. But I wouldn't call the run fun to read or the best Batman run of all-time.

That's just me though. That's my taste. You (everyone this applies to) think GM did the best Batman run, that's cool. That is who Batman is to you. There is just something about Grant Morrison that just does not click with me. You can not fault me for trying. On my shelf I own:

Superman Action Comics Vol 1.
All-Star Superman.
Arkham Asylum
Batman and Son
Batman The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin vol 1
Batman and Robin vol 2
Batman and Robin vol 3
Batman Inc pre n52
Batman Inc vol 1 n52
Batman Inc vol 2 n52
Kill Your Boyfriend

Out if all my graphic novels, I own more GM books than any other author. Yet, I can't say I really, really, really enjoyed them. I tried to find what some see in him, I just can't see it. I am a "moron".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
But isn't that what we all do? You tried a few times to get into Scott Snyders Batman but couldn't do it because it lacked emotion. I would disagree with that. I don't get where you are coming from there. Then I bought almost every book in Grant Morrison's run and forced myself to read through them even though it felt like work sometimes. Some parts were genius and really added to the history of the character. But I wouldn't call the run fun to read or the best Batman run of all-time.

That's just me though. That's my taste. You (everyone this applies to) think GM did the best Batman run, that's cool. That is who Batman is to you. There is just something about Grant Morrison that just does not click with me. You can not fault me for trying. On my shelf I own:

All-Star Superman.
Arkham Asylum
Batman and Son
Batman The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin vol 1
Batman and Robin vol 2
Batman and Robin vol 3
Batman Inc pre n52
Batman Inc vol 1 n52
Batman Inc vol 2 n52
Kill Your Boyfriend

Out if all my graphic novels, I own more GM books than any other author. Yet, I can't say I really, really, really enjoyed them. I tried to find what some see in him, I just can't see it. I am a "moron".

You're being quite vague about what you didn't like, but you certainly can't be faulted for your conviction to seeing a thing through.

Personally, I see a big difference between not liking something (taste) and not getting something (reading comprehension). Fair enough if you didn't like it. If you were to boil it down into a few bits, what didn't you like about the run? I've been reading Batman for over 20 years and I would consider it the GOAT for many reasons, not least because of how it built out a loose, accidental continuity into something that actually made a kind of sense. Loved Damian, loved how it recontextualised the Batfam as brothers, not father/son. Loved Hurt. B&R was wholly awesome adventure stories. Inc was a bit dense, I'll give you that!

fertygo

Batman & Robin are very damn great, but I admit aside for Burnham's art I'm not that big for Batman Inc. (maybe yet) although of course I tearing a bit for that moment. The theme about Bruce and Damian is great, but I never been biting into the whole Incorporated and clone stuff.

All-Star Superman.
Arkham Asylum
Batman and Son
Batman The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin vol 1
Batman and Robin vol 2
Batman and Robin vol 3
Batman Inc pre n52
Batman Inc vol 1 n52
Batman Inc vol 2 n52
Kill Your Boyfriend

This is easy to explain. No Vimanarama on the list.

The way Morrison was able to use the 75 year history of batman was amazing . He even found a way to fit bat mite in.

Doctor Hurt was a great villian.

Defintly the best Batman run.

I'm with you, Korupt. I feel that Morrison is a particular flavor that I just don't enjoy in very large doses.

Also, Batman Inc was one of the stupidest directions for the character to go.

tim1138

All-Star Superman.
Arkham Asylum
Batman and Son
Batman The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin vol 1
Batman and Robin vol 2
Batman and Robin vol 3
Batman Inc pre n52
Batman Inc vol 1 n52
Batman Inc vol 2 n52
Kill Your Boyfriend

While this is a great post, there are differences between what you're describing and what I was talking about. To use your Snyder example, I would never write off his work on AmVam or the Wake (in fact, I'm pumped to read the Wake when the hc comes out) because I don't like how he writes Batman or how slow paced his Swamp Thing run was. Also you did some work and explored Morrison's stuff and decided it wasn't for you, while I think that makes you crazy (kidding!), I respect it, you gave his stuff a shot and it didn't gel with you. That happens.

What drives me crazy are the people who offhandedly dismiss his stuff because it's supposedly "hard" or "weird" or "druggy" (whatever that means). Just because an author makes you think about what you're reading doesn't make it hard or bad or weird.

If you don't like something, that's well and fine, it's your opinion. I'm just so tired of seeing the attacks on his stuff for being nonsensical and impossible to understand when its just not true.

</rant>

Messi

Is it bad for me to say I read the first volume of Manhattan Projects and that I didn't like it. I can tell its well made and well written but it's not something that I wish to keep reading. Does that make me a bad person?

I know some of you love that book.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Is it bad for me to say I read the first volume of Manhattan Projects and that I didn't like it. I can tell its well made and well written but it's not something that I wish to keep reading. Does that make me a bad person?

It's fine when put like that, too bad for you I guess. Getting the second trade for East Of West (read reviews saying Hickman still takes his time for world building but that's fine for me) and the fourth of MP. Love the guy's work.

I need to get onboard of his recent Avengers stuff, how good is it?

Messi

It's fine when put like that, too bad for you I guess. Getting the second trade for East Of West (read reviews saying Hickman still takes his time for world building but that's fine for me) and the fourth of MP. Love the guy's work.

I need to get onboard of his recent Avengers stuff, how good is it?

East of West is world building all the time, sometimes frustratingly so. I really love his Avengers stuff.

tim1138

Messi please, it makes you a terrible person! :D

If you don't like it, you don't like it. No sense in spending money on a book you don't enjoy.

slightconfuze said:
Batman inc was the perfect direction To go in . Guessing you don't read the club of Heroes arc.

BenjaminBirdie said:
See also: Last Page of Return of Bruce Wayne

It was really the only direction the story could go at that point, and it was absolutely brilliant.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
East of West is world building all the time, sometimes frustratingly so. I really love his Avengers stuff.
I found the first trade pretty boss TBH, so I'm sure I'll like the rest. Wouldn't be the same in singles I think.
See also: Last Page of Return of Bruce Wayne
Loaded as fuck dude bent on exterminating crime. Satisfied to play vigilante in his town. Now that's stupid.

ReAxion

CHEW / REVIVAL #1
DEADLY CLASS #5
TREES #1

INHUMAN #2
MS MARVEL #4

ROVER RED CHARLIE #6

Iffy:
FUSE #4

Didnt make it out to my shop last week so about half of my last posted list is still waiting.

Batman inc was the perfect direction To go in . Guessing you don't read the club of Heroes arc.

I'm a fan of either Vigilante Batman or Justice League Batman. Not Corporate Batman.

I don't have to worry too much though. The Inc concept seems to have been mostly ignored / glossed over in anything else besides Inc.

Cheska

Guys can I just step in and say that the elitist attitude in here is starting to become very draining?

It feels like any time Morrison or Quitely come up, it becomes a war zone.

People like different shit, get over it. I find it offensive that because someone doesn't agree with your opinion that it then makes them a moron.

And this is coming from someone that likes Morrison. I don't think anyone has the right to tell you you're wrong for not enjoying something.

So seriously, stop. It's ruining the companionship and friendly nature the thread has 90% of the time.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Also, Batman Inc was one of the stupidest directions for the character to go.
Sure, and people said Batman having a kid was dumb...

You always bring up this point and it always sounds like you didn't read, follow, or fully comprehend Morrison's Batman run.

ReAxion

Guys can I just step in and say that the elitist attitude in here is starting to become very draining?

So seriously, stop. It's ruining the companionship and friendly nature the thread has 90% of the time.

As it stands I'm scrolling past it all and I'm afraid that if it keeps going unchecked I'll be scrolling past the entire thread.

People like different shit, get over it. I find it offensive that because someone doesn't agree with your opinion that it then makes them a moron.

And this is coming from someone that likes Morrison. I don't think anyone has the right to tell you you're wrong for not enjoying something.

While you're mostly right, the other side feels the need to get cheap shots in. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Messi

Someone who likes Morrison/Quietly would say that.

I'm sorry Cheska I'll try to be better. I'm just having some fun. You see how much shit I have to put up with for liking Catwoman

Things to avoid:

Morrison debates
Quitely Potato Head discussions
any post with Nocenti

You don't see very many of my posts do you :(

Cheska

While you're mostly right, the other side feels the need to get cheap shots in. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Someone who likes Morrison/Quietly would say that.

I'm sorry Cheska I'll try to be better. I'm just having some fun. You see how much shit I have to put up with for liking Catwoman

You don't see very many of my posts do you :(

No I get it, if I was being attacked so often for my views I would defend myself as well. But the point is, you shouldn't have to deal with vulgar attacks. It just doesn't seem like it's all fun and games anymore.

Thank you Cheska.

*edit*

To add or expand. Most of these characters have been around for many decades, with lots of different ways their characters have been handled. One persons definitive run of a character is another persons trash, I don't think any one is more or less valid. It also doesn't make some one a moron, or lacking taste if they don't agree with you on a definitive run.

kmfdmpig

Great post. I mostly lurk and only part occasionally but the attacks get old.

People should be allowed to be passionate but the sniping does get old. That said it's not a community thread, if people want to revisit tired arguments forever and ever at the expense of everyone else then so be it. It'd be nice to move past the lame ad hominem crap but I'm not holding my breath.

The price of hanging in the general OT is we get to revisit stuff like this sometimes, especially when there is a bubble of interest caused by external factors (it should be obvious to everyone that Quitely and Morrison are going to be hot topics this summer thanks to a certain blockbuster release). It's annoying, but it's hardly thread-wrecking behavior. Honestly the thread is so active these days, it'd be hard to read every post anyways...that stuff is easy to skip. I see Quitely and breeeeeeeze by, getting to be that way for Morrison too.

It's kind of a weird thing to complain about, the more I think on it. Sniping has always gone on here...you can't expect a new person to come into this thread and see people constantly shitting on Ann Nocenti or Dan Didio or Messi's taste and think that that's okay but it's not cool to start a war over Frank Quitely's faces. Newbies can't be expected to know where those lines are drawn, and this should remain a newbie-friendly environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom