• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I've no problem with Quietly. He's just not for me. More power to those who like his art.

I read ever post like a wierdo.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guys can I just step in and say that the elitist attitude in here is starting to become very draining?

It feels like any time Morrison or Quitely come up, it becomes a war zone.

People like different shit, get over it. I find it offensive that because someone doesn't agree with your opinion that it then makes them a moron.

And this is coming from someone that likes Morrison. I don't think anyone has the right to tell you you're wrong for not enjoying something.

So seriously, stop. It's ruining the companionship and friendly nature the thread has 90% of the time.

I assume you're calling me out here since I used the m word, but the attacks go both ways. It's just as draining to read folks continually jabbing at bona fide classics (and their fans) as well. Every time I read Morrison dismissed as druggy or crazy, it's like a red rag to a bull.

This thread is oil and water, all mixed up together.

ReAxion

I assume you're calling me out here since I used the m word, but the attacks go both ways. It's just as draining to read folks continually jabbing at bona fide classics (and their fans) as well. Every time I read Morrison dismissed as druggy or crazy, it's like a red rag to a bull.

This thread is oil and water, all mixed up together.

You don't come off looking better or even making a convincing argument when you say that if someone doesn't meet x condition they're a moron. Just an fyi.

Owzers

http://www.newsarama.com/21219-first-look-at-the-heroes-of-marvel-s-axis-event.html

SENYCTransitPosterFinal.jpg

First teased at April's C2E2, Axis has been compared by Marvel's Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso to Avengers Vs. X-Men and has reportedly been in the works for "some time."

When they compare it to AvX i hope they don't mean a 12 issue series that could be told in half that.

I'm really freakin' excited about Axis and Time Runs Out....probably more than I should be. Still, I'm gonna try to be totally caught up on Marvel Now before those hit! Making my way through BotA and Infinity now...I might actually make it!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You don't come off looking better or even making a convincing argument when you say that if someone doesn't meet x condition they're a moron. Just an fyi.

Indulge me for a sec to help me. if someone doesn't like a thing chiefly because they don't understand it on a basic, abc this-is-what-happened level - and they continually attack it - what is the correct response? It's a failing of mine to judge intelligence correlated to taste, but how should I approach it in future? Tbh I don't really see elitism as a cardinal sin, to each his own level and all that.

Maybe ComicsGAF should come to an agreement as to some sacred cows - Morrison/Quitely for sure, and I'd be quite happy to add Lobdell/Nocenti to the list too. Like a comics based nuclear deterrent.

I just finished Gillen's Journey into Mystery run and while I think it ends a bit abruptly it is one of the best runs I've read in a while. Clearly after the movies it wasn't a huge stretch to make Loki likable and interesting, but I can't think of a lot of times when he wasn't just a mustache-twirler in the comics.

I think Gillen's most admirable trait is that he very adeptly navigated what I would consider some weird continuity and made it interesting. 1) He fleshed out Fear Itself in a way that made it seem important (honestly JiM seems like the main book in that event even though it isn't). 2) He worked with the whole Hel is in Hell thing and Mephisto and Hela became interesting characters that couldn't just be considered rote villains. 3) He pulled off two crossovers with New Mutants and The Mighty Thor (obviously Thor makes sense here, but New Mutants was interesting because of the whole random Dani is a valkyrie thing).

I'm very excited to start re-reading Young Avengers (NOW!) again as I only read about 3 or 4 issues when it first came out.

ReAxion

Indulge me for a sec to help me. if someone doesn't like a thing chiefly because they don't understand it on a basic, abc this-is-what-happened level - and they continually attack it - what is the correct response? It's a failing of mine to judge intelligence correlated to taste, but how should I approach it in future? Tbh I don't really see elitism as a cardinal sin, to each his own level and all that.

Maybe ComicsGAF should come to an agreement as to some sacred cows - Morrison/Quitely for sure, and I'd be quite happy to add Lobdell/Nocenti to the list too. Like a comics based nuclear deterrent.

The work will be just fine, and fans will be just fine, if you let them have their opinion. You can voice your own alongside theirs. Elitism probably isn't a cardinal sin but it's definitely off putting to read, to this bystander. If I'm reading an argument back and forth, I'm just doing fuzzy ballot-counting in my head anyway, but jerky posts don't get counted. I'm newer to this than well, everybody, so I usually don't have an opinion of my own, I'm just following along.

We can talk about the works just fine without talking about the kind of people we all might be, and I'm not singling you out on that. That should go for everyone, me included.

phoenixyz

Is it bad for me to say I read the first volume of Manhattan Projects and that I didn't like it. I can tell its well made and well written but it's not something that I wish to keep reading. Does that make me a bad person?

I know some of you love that book.

I would really recommend you try the second volume. I also didn't like the first one very much but now I'm really glad I gave the second one a try. It really picks up after the first arc.

Owzers

I got lost in Morrison's work on several occasions to then pick it back up again. With his first run on Batman i didn't know a lot of the history he was pulling from, batmite and za something ra something. Batman and Robin was fairly easy to follow but i think i got a little lost at the very end when it was combining with Return of Bruce Wayne. Then in Batman Inc is started out really accessible until it started pulling out characters that i have no familiarity with and Oroboros stuff. Most of the time i just went with it, it was still a fun read but i always felt like i was missing out on the impact. One day i'm going to reread all of it from start to finish instead of monthly with delays, not remembering the previous issues hurt as well.

Now i have to skip reading my own post since it involves Morrison.

NOCENTI

Let's talk about real comic discussion. My wife and I were talking about the technicalities of Zatanna's backwards magic. In Bloodspell, it seems sometimes not only were the words backwards but the order in which they were said were backwards also. I have read some material in which just the the words are. This is the actual line we were using in the car talking about it.

TAE A KCID
KCID A TAE

What do you think the correct way should be?

Let's talk about real comic discussion. My wife and I were talking about the technicalities of Zatanna's backwards magic. In Bloodspell, it seems sometimes not only were the words backwards but the order in which they were said were backwards also. I have read some material in which just the the words are. This is the actual line we were using in the car talking about it.

TAE A KCID
KCID A TAE

It would make more sense to me for the entire thing, syntax and all, to be backwards. But it's magic so, who knows.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

TAE A KCID
KCID A TAE

Which one worked on her? That's your answer.

Messi

TAE A KCID
KCID A TAE

That's rude my friend. Also the second way is correct.

That's rude my friend. Also the second way is correct.

That's what we eventually agreed on. Now all the writers need to get together and make that law. She came up with the phrase. We were talking about saying it to rude customers at work. Only joking though.

arkon

Finished off the District 14 season 1 hardcover this evening. Really cool little black and white French comic which was published in English by Humanoids.

This quote from Jeff Smith in the foreword should give you an idea of what it's like:
District 14 is an intoxicating brew of early twentieth century Americana, a world filled with immigrants, gangsters, and heroes. It’s like a dream mash-up of Little Orphan Annie, Dick Tracy, noir and gangster films, as well as 10 cent comic books from the ‘40s … oh, and toss in Babar the Elephant for good measure (the authors are French, after all).

I've also seen it compared to Blacksad, which I haven't read yet. I guess that's down to the anthropomorphic animals forming the majority of the main cast (though they live alongside humans and aliens in District 14). At first glance I'd say the artwork is less spectacular than that of Blacksad, but I still really love the style.

There's resolution of a sort but still some plot threads dangling by the end and the final page ends on a cliffhanger. I'll be getting the season 2 hardcover eventually. Really enjoyed it.

TAE A KCID
KCID A TAE

As I recall, in Identity Crisis she says words backwards but maintains the sentence structure. So when she says Bruce Wayne it was "ECURB ENYAW"

The first way is correct. Don't listen to Messi's lies.

I guess I missed it the other day but, Superior Foes is going to live beyond issue 15!

So happy

Fantastic news.

Is it a mandate at Marvel that all the words spoken by Asgardians is in fancy script? It looks cool.

It's been like that since Heroes Reborn, IIRC. There was a period where nearly every character had their own font, but they've toned it down the last few years. I sort of miss Iron Man's DOS-esque font from the early 00s.

Owzers

i can't find the list of who's writing the Futures End one-shots, i thought i saw it here awhile ago....anyone have a link? DCBS wanted people to order theirs early and i forgot.

Messi

Dangit.

When I someday decide to subject myself to all the new 52 events I missed in trade form, it's gonna be so expensive.

hopefully I've stopped caring by the time they've deigned to release trades.

Owzers

Here you go

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53011

Edit: should I read anything into the fact that most of the regular series writers are writing these issues but Nocenti is not writing Catwomans issue? Maybe I can get excited?

Thanks. I usually buy combo packs and none of these offer them...so i might skip everything and just get the ones that look the best digitally. Out of what i read, Superman and Wonder Woman are both written by different people, Jurgens and Soule. Batman is by Snyder so i want that, and JL/JL United are a two part story by Lemire that i am more interested in digitally for combo combo.

Messi

Thanks. I usually buy combo packs and none of these offer them...so i might skip everything and just get the ones that look the best digitally. Out of what i read, Superman and Wonder Woman are both written by different people, Jurgens and Soule. Batman is by Snyder so i want that, and JL/JL United are a two part story by Lemire that i am more interested in digitally for combo combo.

Any interest in Harley's one? Seems like it could fit right into the current run.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There was a period where nearly every character had their own font, but they've toned it down the last few years. I sort of miss Iron Man's DOS-esque font from the early 00s.
I ignored Killens Run so far, but isnt the red DOS-esque font still always there when Tony is in the armor?

I came back for this post b/c this is my favorite preview I've read
in the less than a year of being back in comics.

Image has been putting out a lot of great books, which I imagine has a lot to do with their business model. Creators have been flocking there for a good while, now.

Cheska

I started MIND MGMT last night and finished the first hardcover five minutes ago while on my lunch break, and let's me just say WOW!

This is honestly my first experience with Matt Kindt, and I have to say that I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into. I wasn't initially that impressed with the art, but it really starts to grow on you in a way that's fitting for the book and tone.

I'm glad that I already have the second book at home, because the book is a total mind fuck, pun intended.

I started MIND MGMT last night and finished the first hardcover five minutes ago while on my lunch break, and let's me just say WOW!

This is honestly my first experience with Matt Kindt, and I have to say that I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into. I wasn't initially that impressed with the art, but it really starts to grow on you in a way that's fitting for the book and tone.

What is it like? I've had my eye on that series. I read his old book 3 Story, which was a pretty fun read.

Cheska

What is it like? I've had my eye on that series. I read his old book 3 Story, which was a pretty fun read.

Describing too much would really take away from the story but it's basically you trying to figure out what happened to your life and why you have amnesia.

tim1138

I'm glad that I already have the second book at home, because the book is a total mind fuck, pun intended.

I really need to catch up on that book, I read the first hardcover last year and loved it. I wonder if the library got volume two in...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I feel bad bringing up Morrison again, but reading through all those Morrison posts got me thinking, am I the only one who totally loved Batman Inc? It was by far my favorite part of the whole run. Thinking back on it, there are just so many things I adored about it. Matches Malone, that issue that takes place in the future at Arkham Asylum, the Man of Bats stuff, everything drawn by Chris Burnham... Every time I think about it, I remember something about it that I absolutely loved that I'd forgotten about. It's interesting to me that most people thought that was one of the weaker parts of the run.

Also with all this Grant Morrison talk, I really want to read The Invisibles now...

Aaaand while typing this post, I just realized I was the one who brought up Grant Morrison in the first place and sparked that giant argument. Wooops.

Just recieved this badboy today (JSA Omnibus) and it feels like I own the bible to DC's B-List characters.

Wow. Now that is quite a thing. I'm jealous.
Also one of the nicest looking spines I've seen on any book.

Zombine

Banned
Every single time I buy an omnibus I wonder what the mail man thinks it is. I hope one day he asks so I can weird him out. Before he leaves I'll ask him if he likes Frank Quietly and his answer will be the deciding factor on if I give him something for Christmas.

Messi

I caved and read the Wicked and the Devine preview pages. Damn they were sweet. Exactly what I wanted. More please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom