• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
There should be an annotated edition to Morrisons crazier meta work to explain the shit he's doing in each comic. I can follow complex thugs but his work is downright drug fueled

Would you say Tupac was a complex thug?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Have you read Joe the Barbarian? Short, beautiful, and less heady than many other Morrison books.

Yeah, I have! That Sean Murphy art is incredible.
I don't think it was one of my favorite Grant Morrison stories overall, but it was definitely enjoyable.

There should be an annotated edition to Morrisons crazier meta work to explain the shit he's doing in each comic.

Something like this would be great. Reading the annotated script from Arkham Asylum just makes you realize really how much depth he writes into his comics. It makes me wonder how many other little details I'm missing when I read his stuff.

Hahaha

best book, worst book?

westbrook.
Hmm good question. It's all a bit of a blur. Keep in mind due to the volume of books I read digitally and wait for discounts (2 month for dc, waiting for MU to catch up, 1 month for indies)

Top book would be saga. The one book I won't wait for. Also batman the second to last issue of year zero was damn good.

Worst? Probably undertow. I'll be dropping it. It's muddy and not grabbing me. I'm thinking of dropping Unity too. It's just....there

Is Age of Apocalypse worth reading
Hell ya. Get the comixology bundle on sale and enjoy. Or buy the trades vol 2-4. Vol 1 is fluff. My favorite marvel Xmen ever in the 90s

Ugh. Stupid iPhone typing strikes again. :(. I meant to say complex things.

Onemic

Hmm good question. It's all a bit of a blur. Keep in mind due to the volume of books I read digitally and wait for discounts (2 month for dc, waiting for MU to catch up, 1 month for indies)

Top book would be saga. The one book I won't wait for. Also batman the second to last issue of year zero was damn good.

Worst? Probably undertow. I'll be dropping it. It's muddy and not grabbing me. I'm thinking of dropping Unity too. It's just....there

Hell ya. Get the comixology bundle on sale and enjoy. Or buy the trades vol 2-4. Vol 1 is fluff. My favorite marvel Xmen ever in the 90s

Ugh. Stupid iPhone typing strikes again. :(. I meant to say complex things.

Got it. Found that I already had a lot of issues present due to that free marvel #1's last year and me getting vol 1 of AoA for like 3 bucks a month back, so it was only 32 bucks for me.

Also I thought Morrisons take on Xmen was revered, now I'm hearing it's absolute dogshit....

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also I thought Morrisons take on Xmen was revered, now I'm hearing it's absolute dogshit....

Pretty sure that's just the typical "love it or hate it" nature of Morrison.

Speaking of his X-Men run though, I gotta read that sometime soon since I bought the trades recently. I still haven't read any X-Men at all. Heh

I don't think his Xmen run was crap but I didn't really care for it. Also be wary of any comic threads on gaf outside this one. Many like to use those as times to troll comics.

My favorite Morrison work is We3. Then all star supes then probably JLA. And decent parts of batman.

Edit: oh yea seven soldiers Zatanna and Frankenstein minis were ace

Cheska

So my Memorial Day weekend has been spent getting a new couch and 60" TV, and now that everything has been set up I can finally relax and READ COMICS!

Started and finished Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell and what a magical ride it was =] Two of my favorite dc characters written by Paul Dini!? HELL YEAH!

I can follow complex thugs

KkzLyIy.jpg

I'm not a huge Morrison fan but it's alright. Aside from some of the bat shit insane things that don't make any sense, it's decent. I think the most damning thing I can say about it is that I read it about a year ago and I barely remember any of it.

I do remember the "silent" issue being cool. I thought that was a cool thing that marvel did one month.

Cheska

I like Morrison's New Xmen, not as much as Astonishing X-Men, and I certainly can't forgive him for killing off my favorite character :(

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Red hair....

I'm actually surprised that death has held as long as it has.

Not when you consider Marvel had planned to add depth to cyclops character. Whenever Jean is around, scott wanting her is his character motivation. Hell they had to send young Scott into space to get him away from his own Jean to for the same reason.

Loke13

(Shrugs) x-men are always dying. And some die over and over. It starts to lose it's meaning after awhile. Nightcrawler's the only death I've cared about in years.
Ignoring the fact that this is pretty much an issue with superhero comics in general how the heck do you forget
Jean Grey being killed by Wolverine as their meteor disintegrates into the sun then transforming in the Phoenix only to be killed off by a Magneto who is high off his ass from drugs,
not to mention it leads directly into the amazing Planet X story arc which incorporates his entire New X-men run into one beautiful narrative.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't think his Xmen run was crap but I didn't really care for it. Also be wary of any comic threads on gaf outside this one. Many like to use those as times to troll comics.

My favorite Morrison work is We3. Then all star supes then probably JLA. And decent parts of batman.

Edit: oh yea seven soldiers Zatanna and Frankenstein minis were ace

Frankenstein and the half assed response to Promethea over Guardian, Klarion or Bulleteer?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Finished Flex Mentallo. I kind of get where Morrison was going with the story, but I guess it didn't enthrall me like All-Star did since I had no connection to Flex.

Its a comic about comics. Each issue talks about one age of comics.

LIST:
DC COMICS:
BATMAN #31
BATMAN ETERNAL #8
SUPERMAN #31 (doomed)

IMAGE:
C.O.W.L. #1
CHEW / REVIVAL #1
DEADLY CLASS #5
SOUTHERN BASTARDS #2
TRESS #1

MARVEL:
DISNEY KINGDOMS SEEKERS OF THE WEIRD #5 0f 5
INHUMAN #2
MS. MARVEL #4

Yesssssss yesssssss. We shall continue to discuss the stunning Catwoman plot.

It's not the plot that gets me. It's Nocenti's dialog. She is a true wordsmith. She takes words and hammers them together into strings of words in a way that few others can; no one puts square pegs into round holes better.

Messi

But you don't even do that though. Empty ... stanning, is that the stupid new word?

I totally do talk about the story when a new issue comes out. Look back to last month when I railed on the start of the race of the outlaws. It just gets outweighed by my month long steam train of hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom