• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I honestly find the idea of race changing Wally West to be rather silly and unneeded.

Which brings me to this: Anyone read Waid's 90s Flash series? What're your fav. stories from that run?

Messi

So, It seems as though that free first issue of Snyders Black Mirror was the first of 20 free issues on comixology in the next 20 days. pretty nice of them.

Owzers

Even aquaman? that was good reading. And his backup stories for shazam in JLA.

I like the book but don't love it. It was the best Supes book when it came out, but now that Pak's Action series is up and running, its less of a highlight. still a fun story over all

I really liked the first issue of Aquaman even though it was kinda cheesy, but i didn't like a single story arc, even the Others. I dropped it after Johns left, but i'd be hard pressed to recommend any of it to people. I liked shazam a bit more and issue 28 of justice league before 29 got all cyborg-huggy.

Pacers are going to do worse tonight than DC trying to plot an event.

Saga #19:
What am i looking at? Oh.

Johns's first Aquaman arc was just him telling people that Aquaman isn't lame. I'm not convinced he isn't but there was one cool issue in there somewhere

Messi

Saga #19:
What am i looking at? Oh.

jack-nicholson-nodding-gif.gif

Owzers

Okay now i finished Saga #19 and the last page just seems....awkward.
I know it's supposed to be a contrast to the happy hug and it was sadddd but also a kind of contrived and pathetic sad, as if anything could be said in that moment. "This is the story of how my father killed my mother and ate her wings." I dunno, didn't work for me.

Messi

I know it's supposed to be a contrast to the happy hug and it was sadddd but also a kind of contrived and pathetic sad, as if anything could be said in that moment. "This is the story of how my father killed my mother and ate her wings." I dunno, didn't work for me.

Oh it was
manipulative as fuck. You are just enjoying the happy family moment for the first time in ages. They could have slapped you with anything because you care for those 3 characters.

ElNarez

Banned

I dunno, obviously it's fucking sad, but also, re-reading the issue, you see where the cracks are starting to show up and so that revelation is merely a confirmation of that.

Messi

I dunno, obviously it's fucking sad, but also, re-reading the issue, you see where the cracks are starting to show up and so that revelation is merely a confirmation of that.

We the cracks are pretty obvious. Its got to be a tiring scenario to be in. They have
been on the run for quite some time and over the time that they skipped to age Hazel up things havent gotten any better. Also Marko was being irresponsible.

kswiston

If I am honest, Saga is starting to lose me. Smart dialogue and a few good characters isn't making up for the crappy world building and sort of directionless plot have have become more apparent in the last 7 issues.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
We the cracks are pretty obvious. Its got to be a tiring scenario to be in. They have
been on the run for quite some time and over the time that they skipped to age Hazel up things havent gotten any better. Also Marko was being irresponsible.

or was Alana being irresponsible with the show?

I think this issue was the perfect Saga issue. It encapsulates everything I love about the series, and it pushes it along in a new direction, emphasizing the Romeo and Juliet aspect that BKV has been talking about for a while.

Also, that last page was magical.

If I am honest, Saga is starting to lose me. Smart dialogue and a few good characters isn't making up for the crappy world building and sort of directionless plot have have become more apparent in the last 7 issues.

What? You aren't into Nonsensical Futuristic Fantasy Slice of Life Romance Drama?

Messi

or was Alana being irresponsible with the show?

I think this issue was the perfect Saga issue. It encapsulates everything I love about the series, and it pushes it along in a new direction, emphasizing the Romeo and Juliet aspect that BKV has been talking about for a while.

Also, that last page was magical.

Well they have to make money somehow and maybe she could have gotten a safer job but Marko was just being risky for the sake of being risky.

I really liked the issue. I thought it balanced the tensions nicely and you can just see what the stress is doing to them individually and as a couple.
It was also nice to see them both pull together for the sake of Hazel. They are at each others throats until she walks in and reminds them of what they have.

Also that first and last page. Holy shit. lol.

Edit: At this point I know what I am getting from Saga, and I know its something that I like. I am all in for the family drama.

I can't get enough of it. My favorite comic going. I don't even care if nothing happens in an issue. Just seeing the world building with tons of likable characters, great dialogue and art is a joy every time.

Messi

I can't get enough of it. My favorite comic going. I don't even care if nothing happens in an issue. Just seeing the world building with tons of likable characters, great dialogue and art is a joy every time.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. I just like reading about these characters. Regardless of what they are doing.

kswiston

I won't deny it has a lot of strengths, but I don't think those strengths are the sort of thing that will keep me reading for 50-60 issues. BKV's approach to world building is basically "I will just make crap up as I go, more often than not to serve some witty joke, and not explain any of it". I didn't mind that when we had cat and mouse plot going on between The Will and our Protags, but the story has sort of meandered since the first two volumes. I will keep reading through at least this arc, but it used to be one of the first books I went to on release. Now I'm not in that big of a rush to catch up.

I'm not calling the book bad or anything. I just like something different in my books.

Messi

Saga was awesome and them not being on the run is showing how different they truly are.

Yeah but now
they have become paranoid, looking over their shoulders everywhere they go as they try to create a life. It seems like its almost worse. When they were on the move the had a goal to work towards. Now that they have settled down a bit its showing cracks.

That's a good list of books. Deadpool is great in X-Force but if you want solo Dpooly then Joe Kelly's run is the way to go. Cable and Deadpool is good too.

Avoid Daniel Way's run.

Except this is impossible to physically collect right now.

I have trade paperbacks 1-5 and have been looking for 6-8 without success. I can find six relatively easy enough for like $15-$20, and #8 for like $10-$15, but #7 is like $50 at the cheapest I've found.

If anyone has any better places to look, point me to 'em. No major store I can find has them new and ready to order.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is a sub to Marvel Unlimited worth it? Do the various arcs included have gaps or do they include all issues in a given story?

Some gaps, but a ton of completed arcs, including some of the most popular runs. They have been filling in the gaps over time.
I just did a check. Almost all of the classic run of amazing spidey is there except 2 issues after the last update. Sooo close. And uncanny xmen and Peter David's hulk runs are getting close to completion.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Some gaps, but a ton of completed arcs, including some of the most popular runs. They have been filling in the gaps over time.

Thanks. I want to start reading more X-Men and Avengers since I've been playing more Marvel Heroes. There are so many villains and such there that I've NEVER heard of that I'd like to learn more about.

Messi

I just read over the futures end #1's solicits. Had a good laugh. Some of that stuff sounds insane. Batgirl (wtf, seriously loooool) and Catwoman specifically (This one is so crazy I could see Nocenti doing it in her own series but was stunned to see its not her writing it). Harleys sounds like a bog standard Harley story which is fine by me, though I do wish they could have held off using that old chesnut for a few more months (Conners art for the cover is on point again).

My question is, did the Batwoman solicit ruin the current Batwoman arc with Nocturna? I totally wanna see Batwoman as
a vampire so I will pick that up.
. That cover is cool too.

Finished Flex Mentallo. I kind of get where Morrison was going with the story, but I guess it didn't enthrall me like All-Star did since I had no connection to Flex.

Except this is impossible to physically collect right now.

I have trade paperbacks 1-5 and have been looking for 6-8 without success. I can find six relatively easy enough for like $15-$20, and #8 for like $10-$15, but #7 is like $50 at the cheapest I've found.

If anyone has any better places to look, point me to 'em. No major store I can find has them new and ready to order.
Didn't know it was hard to find now. But I just did a quick search and they are releasing an omnibus for the series this fall at least.

Just like Sam Nova *trollface*
He's a good fit for New Warriors!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. Just watched "Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods." Such a great insight into Morrison. Essentially a little over an hour of Morrison talking with a little bit of other people talking about him. Very much worth watching, even if you don't like Morrison's comics for some silly reason.
It's on Youtube, so you don't have any excuse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxeaERpyXvA

Thought Battle for the Atom was actually pretty good, one or two issues I thought were a little slow, but I enjoyed everything else.

Starting Infinity tomorrow. Any of the tie-ins worth reading?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh man. Just watched "Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods." Such a great insight into Morrison. Essentially a little over an hour of Morrison talking with a little bit of other people talking about him. Very much worth watching, even if you don't like Morrison's comics for some silly reason.
It's on Youtube, so you don't have any excuse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxeaERpyXvA

Fucking great documentary--infinitely rewatchable.

I'm pretty sure the same group is working on a Gaiman one.

They recently released a Chris Claremont X-Men documentary. ComicsGAF favorite Ann Nocenti is on there, along with Louise Simonson and Jim Shooter. Always funny how Shooter's stories and their stories don't exactly seem to match up.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Fucking great documentary--infinitely rewatchable.

I'm pretty sure the same group is working on a Gaiman one.

Ooh, very nice. I...actually haven't read anything by Gaiman yet (although I do have the Marvel 1602 TPB on my shelf), but I'm sure it'd still be a really enjoyable thing to watch.

But man, after watching that documentary, I really want to read something by Grant Morrison right now. I started reading this Jonah Hex TPB yesterday though and I figure I ought to at least finish this 5-issue miniseries before starting my reread of Morrison's Batman that I've been wanting to do. I just read an issue of Hex though, and even though it was great, it just couldn't fill that Morrison-sized hole I have since watching that documentary.

Filthy Slug

Ooh, very nice. I...actually haven't read anything by Gaiman yet (although I do have the Marvel 1602 TPB on my shelf), but I'm sure it'd still be a really enjoyable thing to watch.

But man, after watching that documentary, I really want to read something by Grant Morrison right now. I started reading this Jonah Hex TPB yesterday though and I figure I ought to at least finish this 5-issue miniseries before starting my reread of Morrison's Batman that I've been wanting to do. I just read an issue of Hex though, and even though it was great, it just couldn't fill that Morrison-sized hole I have since watching that documentary.

Have you read Joe the Barbarian? Short, beautiful, and less heady than many other Morrison books.

There should be an annotated edition to Morrisons crazier meta work to explain the shit he's doing in each comic. I can follow complex thugs but his work is downright drug fueled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom