• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I just opened Saga #19 and couldn't stop laughing my ass off. I can't even continue it yet. I was not expecting that at all

Also, Invincible #111
These past few issues have been filled with extreme deaths and the current issue wasn't an exception. I have a feeling that Eve will miscarry.

im gonna guess kill em all kirkman is at it again?

diaspora

They're marketing this as the lead-in to Spider-Verse, so I assume he gets plucked from 2099 to Spider-Verse and who knows what happens afterwards. Inter-dimensional Spider Corps Exiles led by Ock?

As for ASM2 and Silk:

I'm getting the impression she's been a recluse ever since being bitten and has been living vicariously through Peter's exploits. The little detail about her stockpile of food makes me think that. Also handles why we're just hearing about her now.

What happens afterwards is that Horizon plucks him back to 616 and he loses his memories of what happened during his time out of time. =P

Slott's Mighty Avengers was terrible

Nah it was pretty good. Not a classic by any means but he injected a lot of personality into C-listers I didn't care about, he wrote a fun Hank Pym when it seemed like everyone at Marvel had forgotten how to do that, and the Scarlet Witch twist was great. I also thought it was nice that Cassie and young Vision were given a chance to be real Avengers. I was sad to see that book go and much of its cast funneled into Avengers Academy, which was legitimately terrible.

Zombine

Banned
Velvet #5 wasn't just a comic book. That was straight up classic literature. It was absolutely flawless. This is honestly the best thing Brubaker has ever written.

Yup, looks like issues 1-6 are being collected (COPRA: Round One), but it won't be out until September. I wonder how long it's going to take a collected 7-12 to be released. At this rate, 2015 maybe? Bummer. It's gotta be frustrating for him to have fans wanting to give him money but no way to facilitate a transaction. Digital issues seem like an easy solution to me!

yesssssssssssssssssss finally

Voror

Nah, nothing specific. I'm going to purchase it myself so I'm just wanting to see how it looks.

I'll see what I can do.

Nah it was pretty good. Not a classic by any means but he injected a lot of personality into C-listers I didn't care about, he wrote a fun Hank Pym when it seemed like everyone at Marvel had forgotten how to do that, and the Scarlet Witch twist was great. I also thought it was nice that Cassie and young Vision were given a chance to be real Avengers. I was sad to see that book go and much of its cast funneled into Avengers Academy, which was legitimately terrible.

Was this the one where Pym thought having Loki on the team was a good idea, which even Loki thought was weird?

So who tricked you and only gave you the second "season" of Avengers Academy, telling you it was the entire series?

The first half of AA was the best thing to come out of the Heroic Age

So who tricked you and only gave you the second "season" of Avengers Academy, telling you it was the entire series?

The first half of AA was the best thing to come out of the Heroic Age

You know, this rings true. I didn't really start to fall out with it until after Fear Itself. The AA FI tie-ins weren't even that bad.

Zombine

Banned
This is some next level praise. Rafa style praise.

The illustration was incredible. Epting is a god. Makes Fiona Staples looks like a second grader doodling. The story is like Mad Men with Spies only things actually happen.

Zombine, was it like the very first touch of a woman?

Only softer.

Edit: I just came down from my Velvet high. American Vampire wasn't as great as it normally is. It felt disjointed.

I really liked Avengers Academy. =(

As did I. Not quite as much as Avengers Initiative, though. They were both really fun titles.

Velvet #5 wasn't just a comic book. That was straight up classic literature. It was absolutely flawless. This is honestly the best thing Brubaker has ever written.

I haven't read #5 yet, it's on my stack for later. But I've been loving Velvet so far. Such a well-written book.

Messi

The illustration was incredible. Epting is a god. Makes Fiona Staples looks like a second grader doodling. The story is like Mad Men with Spies only things actually happen.

Only softer.

Edit: I just came down from my Velvet high. American Vampire wasn't as great as it normally is. It felt disjointed.

untitled-12ycj6e.gif

LEAVE FIONA ALONE :(

Voror

My shitty attempts to take pictures of my Annihilation Omnibus.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Sorry about the quality.

Edit: Okay, I have no idea what I did wrong here.

Edit 2: Got it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
What happens afterwards is that Horizon plucks him back to 616 and he loses his memories of what happened during his time out of time. =P

Not necessarily. Oh shit, as soon as time travel gets involved duplicate bodies become an option. Again, this leads to Spider-Verse, which is set after Peter's return.

I've only read the first half of AA. It gets bad? That sucks.

I can sort-of see the point the others are making. The Second Semester arcs are probably the weakest with some really strange villains. The AvX arc isn't great, but that gets a pass, because hey AvX. Final Exam is fucking great though, I'll defend that one to the grave.

I've only read the first half of AA. It gets bad? That sucks.

Yeah :/ The cast more than doubles in size just after Fear Itself, then there's a Regenesis tie-in so we can toss X-23 in there too because why not, then there's a Runaways story followed immediately by a long AvX tie-in....crossover disaster before the new cast gets a chance to establish itself.

Messi

Hey man I've got love for Fiona! That page with the kiss in #19 is no joke. Epting just gets motion and the human form. I look at the art in Velvet and it's like watching a movie.

Shit on Quietly or Pulido then. Those are truly some ComicGAF villains .

Zombine

Banned
Shit on Quietly or Pulido then. Those are truly some ComicGAF villains .

Hey man Quietly's work on All-Star Superman is no joke. That's some quality art.

Pulido draws the best derp faces in the business.

My Fiona example was to show that this guys work is so legit it should humble even the best of artists, like Fiona.

Edit: After reading All-New Doop #2 let's just have Milligan fix all of the shitty events that Marvel thinks up in the future. Guy is like super glue and white out mixed together.

Just saw on Bleeding Cool that if you flip the AXIS image you can see some of the heroes associated with the event...

Iron Man, Deadpool, Medusa and Storm

diaspora

Not necessarily. Oh shit, as soon as time travel gets involved duplicate bodies become an option. Again, this leads to Spider-Verse, which is set after Peter's return.

Spider-Verse can take place after Peter's return and still end with Octavius getting pulled back by Horizon.

Owzers

Finished Lemire's first Green Arrow trade:

None of the people have any personality outside of the Count. The ending "reveal" of the trade seems like the crappiest crap as a first trade end. I had to google who this guy even is and
They are just transitioning the character from the Arrow tv show into the comics? How is that a thing?
Very underwhelming as a collection, the Count issues quickly put the rest to shame but i don't think they saved the trade overall, but made the series good enough to make me interested in possibly getting the next trade. The art also kept things interesting partly by itself. I hope Lemire does a better job on JL United.

Yeah :/ The cast more than doubles in size just after Fear Itself, then there's a Regenesis tie-in so we can toss X-23 in there too because why not, then there's a Runaways story followed immediately by a long AvX tie-in....crossover disaster before the new cast gets a chance to establish itself.

I can sort-of see the point the others are making. The Second Semester arcs are probably the weakest with some really strange villains. The AvX arc isn't great, but that gets a pass, because hey AvX. Final Exam is fucking great though, I'll defend that one to the grave.

shiiiiii. that's unfortunate

fauxtrot

Banned
It's been so long since I've read Saga that I'm not even likely to make it through the newest issue tonight (gotta reread 1-18 first!) and that bums me out. I hope I don't see anything too spoilery before then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom